Light Setup: $300 budget- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2015

Light Setup: $300 budget

I've been doing research for a couple hours now and I have to say that the amount of options are a bit overwhelming. Just getting back into riding after a 7 year hiatus and would like to get a good setup for 2-3 hour night trail rides. I do not see that well at night so I need to mount a small version of the sun to my helmet and bars. My budget is ~ $300 and I'm looking for suggestions of tried and true setups.

The short list so far is
    Gemini Duo augmented with a third light
    A pair of Gloworm X1's
    A magic shine 880 plus and 808

Thank you for any input.

jeff

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    A pair of Gemini Duo's will just be in your budget and give you wireless control of about 3000 total lumens. That though is with two cell battery's so may not have the run time your looking for. For $30 more per light u can get four cell Samsung battery's and have very long run times. IMHO by far the best option on your short list and right now a great value. Gemini-lights.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Thank you. I'll splurge for the bigger batteries.

jeff

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I just bought a Gloworm X2 for my helmet and Nitefighter BT40s for my handlebars. Loving the combo. Get the neutral white LEDs on the Gloworm to go with the neutral white LEDs on the Nitefighter.

I like turtles
    The Duo works well with a Xera for the helmet and will be a little cheaper. You need 4-cell batteries to get past the 2 hour mark. I have this setup...works great. The neutral white color is a bit overrated IMHO..the Geminis have the familiar cool white color which is fine to me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I like to have replaceable battery lights since my rides are a bit long.
    Fenix store has the BC30 1200lumen for $90.
    For the helmet I use either zebralight H600 ($90) or Nitecore HC30 ($55). Both puts out 1000lumen and weights less than 100gm. zebralight has neutral color...if you care.
    Just carry extra cell to ride however long you want at night. Never got caught without light.
    You can even buy better high output cells than buying those packs

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I've decided to go with one Gemini Duo and also one 6000 lumen (lol) ebay special that was $27. I couldnt help it. It's $27. It uses 5 XML T6 l.e.d's so if it's just 600 lumens it will be worth the $27. I'll let you guys know how much it sucks.

jeff

RAKC
    Price or not I will never buy a cheap Chinese light off eBay. If im going to waste money like that ill at least get it off amazon

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Still waiting on the ebay special, the Gemini Duo however has arrived and it kicks much ass. Good beam pattern, very bright, great light color and very light weight. I'm very impressed with it. I've done a couple of 2 hour rides on full bright and the battery (4 cell) hasn't flagged at all.

jeffery

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I figured you would like this light if you gave it a shot. Are you happy with the wireless remote? Has it been working properly? I suspect you will be purchasing a second one in the near future as I don't see your ebay light's battery performing to your expectations, but I guess you never know!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Remote works well and is small. I found last night that this light will overheat if you leave it on high while creeping up some long climbs. It was 47 degrees but I was still not going fast enough to keep it cool on a 15 minute slow climb. It just automatically dropped the output to low which is still plenty bright. I was unable to force it back to high beam until it cooled. For the rest of the night it worked great.

One rider in our group had a $20 amazon light and it worked really well. It lasted for the entire ride, which was a bit over 2 hours, and was reasonably bright (rated at 750). It was at the very least just as bright as some big name 750's in the group. Another had a $38 ebay special advertised at 8000 lumens. It was about as bright as my Gemini but the size of a baseball.

jeffery

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Good to hear and a little surprised that the output was still plenty bright for you after the thermal kicked in. That was an issue I wish was improved to a gradual step down type thermal. Pretty much all lamp heads will step down if your grunting out a climb on the high setting. Try using the medium setting for climbs and see if that continues to happen.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Roger that. We have another ride planned for this evening.

jeffery
    Transition Scout // Trek Stache 5 // KTM 350 SX-F

I like turtles
    My Gemini's both will overheat on high if not moving or moving slowly...they just are too small/too powerful. I try to turn them off/turn them on low when stopped but never mess with them climbing etc...that is where the remote would be great. The other option is...ride faster/don't slow down

The ride it happened to me I had bonked badly...it was my second ride of the day and I was pushing 40 miles...I just was putzing along and they overheated but being on low didn't matter b/c I was going so slow!
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    My 8000 lumen ebay china special arrived and I was able to test it out. In reality its about 750-800 lumens if I had to guess. That's in comparing it to a night rider 750 directly. Ride was just over 2 hours and the battery lasted the entire time running on high.

jeffery

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain Torque View Post
    My 8000 lumen ebay china special arrived and I was able to test it out. In reality its about 750-800 lumens if I had to guess. That's in comparing it to a night rider 750 directly. Ride was just over 2 hours and the battery lasted the entire time running on high.

jeffery
    Although this could happen with brand name products (although unlikely) Please be extra careful when charging up your ebay light as it most likely has the cheapest battery/charger known to man and will have a higher risk of problems. My Lupines which IMO have one of the best chargers/and battery's on the market,, I still charge in the bathroom sink so if anything should happen, nothing will catch fire.

RAKC
    Cheap packs are dangerous, good brand name cells dont go explosive like cheap ones do. Any cheap packs I gut and check the cells, use them as loose cells as back ups or in my torches that are stored. Lipo bag if im going to sleep or charge while not home, in sealed packs. Loose cells in my bay for my hobby charger I just dont even worry about.

But doing those things partially is because im very meticulous about dealing with them. Open all sealed packs to make sure solder job is proper and no risk of shorts.

Ive shorted out a pair of Panasonic cells just to see what would happen. Outside of course. They got hot till they burnt through the wire, then just started leaking a few hours after.

Vest just to avoid cheap packs if at all possible. But most importantly avoid cheap chargers, they are 95% of the problem, over charging by alot and protection circuit not doing its job.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have the new Duo and love it! However, related to the thread title, I'd order the new Titan and call it a day, haha! 4000 lumens for less than $300 is a winner in my book.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jn35646 View Post
    I have the new Duo and love it! However, related to the thread title, I'd order the new Titan and call it a day, haha! 4000 lumens for less than $300 is a winner in my book.
    I'm still trying to figure out why Gemini decided to market a 4000 lumen bar lamp. really don't need the 4000 lumens coming off for the bars, period. even with the 10 level programmable feature, your lowest level possible is likely 400 lumens.

if I'm going to buy a lamp rated over 2000 lumens, say between 2000 and 5000 lumen, I want those lumens coming off of my helmet and throwing into the distance in a medium wide / confined beam pattern. if I have a bar lamp that can illuminate the trail up to 150 feet I'm usually going to be fine. If I need more distance throw that's where I want the helmet lamp to kick in and do its job.

RAKC
    I couldn't ride my trails on a light like that, too tight. 2500 is about my max.

Now the fatbike out wondering the "wilderness", ya I could use 4k lumens.

On the lid I wanna try pushing 2500 as well via a triple.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    I couldn't ride my trails on a light like that, too tight. 2500 is about my max.

Now the fatbike out wondering the "wilderness", ya I could use 4k lumens.

On the lid I wanna try pushing 2500 as well via a triple.
    I'm not sure I understand what bike you use has anything to do with how much light you need / prefer. Different terrain with different trail features I can understand how that might require different lamp outputs. Other than that I'm not sure I understand what tire size has to do with lighting requirements...(?)

Yes, a triple pushing 2500 lumen off the lid would be nice. I was hoping that Gemini would provide neutral emitters and then I might get one of the newer Olympia's with wireless remote. Of course if Lupine comes out with a neutral Wilma-R I might consider one of those first. I'd like to keep the purchase though under $300, doable with Gemini. Olympia-R with neutral emitters will probably only be about 1900-2000 lumen. I'd rather have more like 3000 lm but if Gemini comes out with theirs first I'll probably buy one, even if it's only ~2000 lumen. Wireless remote for the helmet would just be too cool not to have.

RAKC
    Cat you missed half of each comment. Fat bike wondering the wilderness. As in off the trails, off the beaten path. Around here the only places I can legally do that are along the river, since its all flood plane, the undergrowth is minimal. So basically canopied wide open space.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    A lot of light off your helmet has two issues - one is atmospheric reflection. Fog, dust, show is way worse when the light is on your helmet. Also obstacles are flatter with no shadows.

Still, I would take 3000 lumens on my helmet most of the time.

As for 4000 on a bar - that is nothing if the beam is wide. I am not sure if the Titan points to the sides or not. I would like a Titan but my iPhone mount is in the way.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
    A lot of light off your helmet has two issues - one is atmospheric reflection. Fog, dust, show is way worse when the light is on your helmet. Also obstacles are flatter with no shadows.

Still, I would take 3000 lumens on my helmet most of the time.

As for 4000 on a bar - that is nothing if the beam is wide. I am not sure if the Titan points to the sides or not. I would like a Titan but my iPhone mount is in the way.
    100% agree!! 4000 lumens if dispersed in a wide beam pattern will not be blinding at all especially once Gemini gets their next batch of neutral white led boards which are coming. IMO should be a great bar light. The exception would be if all your riding was in tight terrain and no open spaces,, then yes this light would probably be overkill with it's wide beam bouncing off all the overgrowth.

A potent helmet light will be awesome in a place where I live. Cold, no bugs, no dust. Once in a while during a long climb I will however ride through a dew point,, but that only lasts a few minutes and I'm climbing on a lower output so no issue. On the downs if I hit a dew point, because of speed I'm usually through it in seconds.

Of coarse a completely different set up may be in order in a different demographic.
    Last edited by indebt; 12-19-2015 at 01:46 PM.

RAKC
    Ya im used to how a helmet mounted light is affected by particulates and moisture in the air (moisture content is always high at night here). I use a bar light that's a more even spread to bring out the shadows once their close enough to see anyway. I set my helmet light to hit the ground just in front of the end of my bar light beam. Well visually where the illumination seems minimal from the bike. Usually about 100 ft out if im looking(and have line of site) that far). My local trail its tilted down more as I dont have that much line of site except one section. Which that spot is and open fast descent/really wide turn. Line of site is about 100ft before turn takes you through a brush line and back into the woods.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    My 8000 lumen china special is getting progressively worse on battery life. Last night it only lasted 45 minutes on high. Well, it's been a fun experiment.

jeffery

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Get a hobby charger and test the capacity. Nice to have a good charger anyway.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain Torque View Post
    My 8000 lumen china special is getting progressively worse on battery life. Last night it only lasted 45 minutes on high. Well, it's been a fun experiment.

jeffery
    Sounds like it's time for another Gemini. Treat yourself it's Christmas!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
    Get a hobby charger and test the capacity. Nice to have a good charger anyway.
    Hey rsilvers, can you recommend a few specific make and model options?

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt View Post
    Sounds like it's time for another Gemini. Treat yourself it's Christmas!!
    I like this guy!