Light recommendations for newbie night rider- Mtbr.com
    No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005

Light recommendations for newbie night rider

I'm not a new rider, but feel like a total new when it comes to lights. Man, if any section needs an FAQ, it's this one

Anyway, I live in Phoenix and night-riding is becoming more and more attractive to me and some riding buds. I do have an old Light and Motion Arc setup that I use as a helmet mount. I bought a new battery pack about five years ago, but it's giving up the ghost again (perhaps from sitting around mostly unused in my 130-degree garage).

I want to spend a couple bucks on a new setup, probably two lights (helmet and bar mount) if I'm going to do it right. I've read through a bunch of threads, but I'm not an electrician or a dabbler. I just want stuff that works, strap on and go.

Riding buds mostly used Magic Shine stuff and seem pleased. Any reason not to go that route? Mostly I'm overwhelmed by choice.

I'd like the budget around $200 and would probably order from Amazon unless there's a specific retailer who can get me my stuff by Friday.

Thanks for reading and providing any insight.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Just go with nightrider or magicshine then. Something USB chargeable and a neutral/natural light. At least 750 lumen. I prefer the option for more, because it usually means they come with better batteries that will last longer on medium setting.

If you just want cheap lights that work, hard to beat the $20 cree knockoff lights. The light is a little blue/white, but it works. Just make sure you get the ~8V versions and not the 4volt versions. Higher voltage ones have better regulators in them. I'm going on over 2 years now on my $20 cree light. Once I got a loose wire figured out last year (dropped the light while battery was still attached to the frame), no problems since.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

RAKC
    Stay away from nightrider honestly. They kind of suck.

Magic shine is OK, not sure on the newer stuff, dont seem to be getting great responses (not horrible either though).

Ituo has some good lights where you can do 2 lights in your price range. And USB chargeable. www.ituolights.com

Another source is action-led-lights.com but not sure what all he carries that would get you 2 lights for that price tag.

Both of those 2 should be able to get lights to you before week is out if you ordered today. I got stuff from action in less than 48hrs (but I live 1.5hrs away lol). And those here that have ordered from Ituo seem to be rather happy as well.

Oh and a warning, not even amazon is guaranteed by Friday these days. Depends on what warehouse has the items your trying to order. I have some things that are 4-5days on prime because of my distance from the warehouse holding the items. So gotta watch out for that too.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Stay away from nightrider honestly. They kind of suck.

Magic shine is OK, not sure on the newer stuff, dont seem to be getting great responses (not horrible either though).

Ituo has some good lights where you can do 2 lights in your price range. And USB chargeable. www.ituolights.com

Another source is action-led-lights.com but not sure what all he carries that would get you 2 lights for that price tag.

Both of those 2 should be able to get lights to you before week is out if you ordered today. I got stuff from action in less than 48hrs (but I live 1.5hrs away lol). And those here that have ordered from Ituo seem to be rather happy as well.

Oh and a warning, not even amazon is guaranteed by Friday these days. Depends on what warehouse has the items your trying to order. I have some things that are 4-5days on prime because of my distance from the warehouse holding the items. So gotta watch out for that too.

Based on what? My most reliable lights are nightrider lights. God, a bunch of guys I ride with still rock their old HID lights, and almost all of us have one or two from the mi-newt era. We've got newer brighter cheap chinese lights for our mains, but ALL of us rely on our nightrider lights as backups due to their reliability.

EAT MORE GRIME
    this ain't really strap on and go per se, until you get all the pieces together
    and ...once all this is set up, it will be charge, strap and go
    -----

this is what I would do....and i am gonna try to sucker you into it with a free lighthead

1) zebralight h600w mark III on noggin
    (mcguyver the silicone holder to front of helmet)

89 bucks

2) 6 3400 mah 18650 cells unprotected

39 bucks here
    Panasonic 18650 3400mAh 3.6V Unprotected Lithium Ion (Li-ion) Flat Top Battery - Boxed (XBX01016)

3) xtar vc4 charger

Xtar VC4-Channel LCD Screen Intelligent Battery Charger

30 bucks

4) 4 cell 8 volt case

Solarstorm 2S2P 18650 Battery Case-8.70 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com

11 bucks

5) any cheap chinese light head or yinding*** that runs off your 4 cell case

40 bucks or ...see below

----------
    200 bucks roughly for all this, and this is extremely
    flexible if you do it this way with loose 18650 and charger
    (futureproof and you can play with all sorts of lights that run
    off 18650's)

keep the 4 cells for the main handlebar light, put one 18650 in the
    zebralight carry one spare

***and

if

you

buy a zebralight h600w mkIII and PROVE it here I will ship you an original Yinding blue head that runs off 8 volts...cuz I am not using it and I am crazy, and it has like one ride on it and it is perfect. I have so many lights I am not using so

free offer on the yinding head, I just want to see someone else run a
    zebralight on the helmet (I think it's awesome myself, much happy hammertimes)

RAKC
    I know a lot of ppl that ride with nightrider lights. But there is SO MUCH better out there for the money now. Nightrider and cygo light are 2 of the companies that are way behind the times and bang for buck is lacking these days.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I know a lot of ppl that ride with nightrider lights. But there is SO MUCH better out there for the money now. Nightrider and cygo light are 2 of the companies that are way behind the times and bang for buck is lacking these days.
    How so? Niterider are expensive, and you can get the same lumens for a heck of a lot cheaper for sure buying chinese lights. But when you buy lights from Niterider/Cygo/Light&Motion you're not just paying for lumens, you're paying for a quality built product that will last you for years.

To be fair, for myself the cost/benefit ratio for high end lights passed quite a while ago. I'm perfectly happy running cheap chinese lights for the most part...I can buy a lot of light for what it would cost to buy a brand new Niterider 3600 Enduro. BUT: I also piece my bikes together and won't be buying a high end $5k+ bike any time soon. If I had the money to burn, I'd go with a high end light in a heartbeat...their quality is absolutely superior.

If you have the money to spend, buy a reputable brand. If not, do your research and save some bucks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Gearbest has cheep BT40 full kit for $46. It's a decent bar light with good flood. Shoot then you still have a buck fifty to get a bangin helmet light. For $200 you can get something way bttr than NR. Neutral emitters are where it's at imo.

RAKC
    Ya there is cheap Chinese lights too, but a couple hundred goes pretty far these days. Ituo, glowworm,d dinotte etc make top quality lights that still come in a lot less expensive than the high end stuff. I won't even go high end lights because I've read a lot that they really aren't any better (except fancy being and big name brand) the mid level lights for durability and such. Just people don't talk about it like they do with the mid and lower brands.

Chinese lights function but I tend to steer clear, the ones I have are the "better" of them. Some modified to make sure they will hold up for a bit. Their in my loaner lights case now though. Was big on my glowworm lights and now riding my Ituo lights which I like better due to ability to tune the beam pattern via optic change. Something that can't be done on high end stuff really.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    A Light and Motion helmet light, and one of those head-lights that doubles as a flashlight. The Light and Motion has 360 degree illumination, and being able to grab a flashlight could be important. The one I have displays 180 degree light.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Light-Motion-.../dp/B009RXGOLA

I have a Portland Design Works tail light. It's good. But as long as it's very bright and kind of large, I'm happy with a tail light.

https://www.amazon.com/Portland-Desi.../dp/B008RV1SE6

Having a helmet light allows you to make eye contact with motor vehicles, which is a lot more safe, and having light on the helmet and bike increases visibility, and ameliorates tunnel vision and improved depth perception. The Light and Motion is amazing. I can charge the light. Put it in a drawer, come back 6 months later, and it is still charged.
    2018 Surly Karate Monkey 'dingle' speed
    2013 CAADX 105
    2012 Pinarello Quattro
    2002 Zurich LeMond

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    A Light and Motion helmet light, and one of those head-lights that doubles as a flashlight. The Light and Motion has 360 degree illumination, and being able to grab a flashlight could be important. The one I have displays 180 degree light.
    You have described a perfect commuter setup. It would do in a pinch on the trail...but don't go out and buy these for the trail. You can get way way better for the money.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by WaywardTraveller View Post
    You have described a perfect commuter setup. It would do in a pinch on the trail...but don't go out and buy these for the trail. You can get way way better for the money.
    I was thinking commuter. Can't quite imagine mountain-biking over rocks and roots at night. OTOH, being out at night in the West is a lot better than where I live. (South East Lowcountry. Ugh. Stuck in a hole).
    2013 CAADX 105
    2012 Pinarello Quattro
    2002 Zurich LeMond

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I was thinking commuter. Can't quite imagine mountain-biking over rocks and roots at night. OTOH, being out at night in the West is a lot better than where I live. (South East Lowcountry. Ugh. Stuck in a hole).
    You do know which website this is right? You know...just had to ask...

mtbr member
    Having a helmet light allows you to make eye contact with motor vehicles, which is a lot more safe
    Until the car flashes their high beams at you thinking you're a motorcycle with your high beams on. I'll take it as a compliment.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    You do know which website this is right? You know...just had to ask...
    I may have forgotten. (See signature).
    2013 CAADX 105
    2012 Pinarello Quattro
    2002 Zurich LeMond

mtbr member
    May 2005
    How so? Niterider are expensive, and you can get the same lumens for a heck of a lot cheaper for sure buying chinese lights. But when you buy lights from Niterider/Cygo/Light&Motion you're not just paying for lumens, you're paying for a quality built product that will last you for years.
    As with most things this ^ is pretty debatable. I actually got started building my own LED lights because of the poor reliability of NR lights. I had bought 4 sets, spending well over $1000, to equip a team for 24 hr races. Within 2 years, 2 of them had problems that required repairs/rebuilding. Tearing them apart and getting them going again taught me I could do as well, if not better, for far less cost.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post

Anyway, I live in Phoenix

I just want stuff that works, strap on and go.

I'd like the budget around $200 and would probably order from Amazon unless there's a specific retailer who can get me my stuff by Friday.
    I live in the Phoenix area too (Peoria) and the heat we have to ride in makes many lights poor choices because they over-heat far too easily here. Unfortunately your budget and fast delivery needs are going to limit you to Magicshine lights on Amazon. With that in mind my advice is to buy the real thing (no clones) and avoid the 872 model (one of the worst for overheating!). Let us know the Magicshine lights you are considering and we can let you know what to expect from them (power, beam pattern).

If you decide your not in such a hurry I'm positive we can come with with some better lights for you but you'll probably have to expand your budget too.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Trail Ninja
    I wouldn't risk trying technical riding if you go bar light only. Rough singletrack riding is okay with a helmet light. Get both, and you might be riding close to how you ride during the day. If you happen to be really noob (never seen you ride, but there are some perpetual noobs out there), you might even feel that you ride faster at night, due to looking further ahead and not being distracted by or focusing on certain obstacles.
    We're all on the same ship, and it's sinking.

I like turtles
    Action-LED is a great way to go. Check out Gemini's offerings on their site.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    To be clear, I'm not new to the game; I'm a relatively advanced technical rider. During daylight. Night riding on gnar is unique experience so I am relatively new to riding in the dark. So far, I've done it with a helmet light only.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    My friends appear to be running the Magic Shine MJ808

I'm looking at the MJ880 as a helmet, perhaps paired with the MJ808 on the bars.

RAKC
    880 is quite heavy for a helmet light. OK very heavy.

Ituo wiz xp2, glowworm x2, Gemini duo push about the same output for half the weight.

As for the 808...usable light but very out dated.

Try to avoid magic shine, their cheaply made, unreliable and over priced compared to what you can get for similar money these days.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I'm not a new rider, but feel like a total new when it comes to lights. Man, if any section needs an FAQ, it's this one

Anyway, I live in Phoenix and night-riding is becoming more and more attractive to me and some riding buds. I do have an old Light and Motion Arc setup that I use as a helmet mount. I bought a new battery pack about five years ago, but it's giving up the ghost again (perhaps from sitting around mostly unused in my 130-degree garage).

I want to spend a couple bucks on a new setup, probably two lights (helmet and bar mount) if I'm going to do it right. I've read through a bunch of threads, but I'm not an electrician or a dabbler. I just want stuff that works, strap on and go.

Riding buds mostly used Magic Shine stuff and seem pleased. Any reason not to go that route? Mostly I'm overwhelmed by choice.

Thanks for reading and providing any insight.
    You can get a proven set of good lights from action-led-lights.com for $218 total. A pair of Gemini Xera's. Their 950 lumens each and will run for two hours on the highest setting. They use quality cells and chargers and will do the job quite well.

Also as tigris mentioned,,,,the Ituo Wiz Xp-2 sounds like a good option too though i don't know the cost but suspect it is good value.

I like turtles
    I would recommend a Duo on the bar and Xera on the helmet vs. two Xeras. I run the Duo/Xera combo (from Action) and it works great.

mtbr member
    My friends appear to be running the Magic Shine MJ808

I'm looking at the MJ880 as a helmet, perhaps paired with the MJ808 on the bars.
    If this is what you end up buying I have a couple of recommendations regarding the 808. They still sell several variations of the 808 light and you want to make sure you get an 808E which has an XM-L emitter (best versions sold at Action-LED-Lights). The 808 uses a P-7 emitter which produces only about 2/3 the power of even the oldest XM-L equipped models. Beam pattern of the 808E is a very narrow spot beam so if you plan on using it for your bar light you need to get something to widen the beam like the lens pictured below.

Light recommendations for newbie night rider-003.jpg

I posted my comments so you'll get the best out of the lights you were looking at but these aren't what I would normally recommend. Best set-up for close to your budget I can come up with would be a Revtronic (Nitefighter) BT40s for the bars - $60 on Amazon and the Ituo XP2 for your helmet ($170 on the Ituo site).
    Mole

Trail Ninja
    Geminis are top tier. Didn't think you could find a pair for that much. Thought that's how much they went for just 1 set. Even have me somewhat interested in it.

BTW does it matter how much light you need for a group setting in open air, vs solo in dense forest? Figure the forest can help light with reflection, while shadows will be cast by others in a group setting. How about when light colored sand is involved, that can be fairly reflective?
    We're all on the same ship, and it's sinking.

I like turtles
    I want to say my Gemini setup was around $275 all said and done with the BAK batteries.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    I would recommend a Duo on the bar and Xera on the helmet vs. two Xeras. I run the Duo/Xera combo (from Action) and it works great.

I agree, but two Xera's is in the OP's max budget, otherwise two Duo's would be a better choice as both can be controlled from just one remote.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    Geminis are top tier. Didn't think you could find a pair for that much. Thought that's how much they went for just 1 set. Even have me somewhat interested in it.

BTW does it matter how much light you need for a group setting in open air, vs solo in dense forest? Figure the forest can help light with reflection, while shadows will be cast by others in a group setting. How about when light colored sand is involved, that can be fairly reflective?
    Gemini got very aggressive this year with their pricing which is why i recommend them so often as they are a very good value for products with established track record.

As for your second question in a group setting it depends on how much output the other riders are using. If your casting too much shadow on the riders in front of you,,, speed up to the front, or just turn the output down.

If you opt for neutral tint leds this will cut down on reflective glare while still giving you almost as much light output as cool tint leds. Many including myself have switched our led boards to this an for me it has been a big improvement as i'm running huge output and now i don't have to strain my eyes from all the glare.

RAKC
    Gemini does have the horrible step down though. Good lights as long as you only use them in cool weather. Once they engage thermal step down, you barely have enough light to ride on pavement. Definitely not enough to keep riding a trail.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Gemini does have the horrible step down though. Good lights as long as you only use them in cool weather. Once they engage thermal step down, you barely have enough light to ride on pavement. Definitely not enough to keep riding a trail.

Yes this is one area Gemini needs to address hopefully for next years batch of lights.

I did read (not sure if it was Cats post) that step down wasnt an issue unless riding very slow with full output. So common sense on output selection should make the thermal an non issue unless riding in 100+F.

I like turtles
    I can tell you that the step down has only been an issue for v. slow speed and/or hot weather and only on the Xera; my Duo has never done it. Mine are several years old.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    No step down issues with my Xera/Duo (older model) but i do ride in much cooler temps.

mtbr member
    You guy don't ride in Phoenix. My original approx. 1100 lumen Duo steps down all the time in the warmest 3 mo. of the year here. It draws 1.8 a of battery power and has a "Vancbiker finned mount" with a 63 gram light-head (80 grams with the mount). The new Duo has a 68 gram light-head and draws 2.5a so I'm pretty sure it will perform worse than mine in regards to heat sensitivity. From Cat's comments I gather his ride temps. seldom exceed 80 (we get 105 sometimes). Best method I've found is to program one of the modes to 70 or 80% and never go higher to avoid the "thrust into darkness" thermal protection method used by Gemini. Light is workable but requires adjustments in usage for best performance. New Xera is no longer a thrower. May have more lumen production but reduction in optic size severely limits its throw capabilities to the point of making it only bar-light appropriate (IMO).
    Mole

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Isn't there a spot optic option on the Xera?? Thought there was. Or is the smaller size in general make that option (if available) useless?

RAKC
    This is why I think the Ituo xp2 is SO MUCH BETTER. Same output as x2 and duo, better heat dissipation than duo, uses heat management like glowworm but at the same price as the duo. Xp2 also has a GoPro style mounting system. Quality on par with any other lights.

Being I have all above lights mentioned (as does mole I believe) when it comes to bang for buck, right now Ituo comes out on top by far for overall performance and what you get as in batteries and such. Hard pressed not to rank it right up with glowworm and other lights at the higher "mid level" price level.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    You guy don't ride in Phoenix. My original approx. 1100 lumen Duo steps down all the time in the warmest 3 mo. of the year here. It draws 1.8 a of battery power and has a "Vancbiker finned mount" with a 63 gram light-head (80 grams with the mount). The new Duo has a 68 gram light-head and draws 2.5a so I'm pretty sure it will perform worse than mine in regards to heat sensitivity. From Cat's comments I gather his ride temps. seldom exceed 80 (we get 105 sometimes). Best method I've found is to program one of the modes to 70 or 80% and never go higher to avoid the "thrust into darkness" thermal protection method used by Gemini. Light is workable but requires adjustments in usage for best performance. New Xera is no longer a thrower. May have more lumen production but reduction in optic size severely limits its throw capabilities to the point of making it only bar-light appropriate (IMO).
    Mole
    Cant imagine night riding in 105 F. I would be less worried about the lights performance than my own.

One would have to have a large mass lamp head with lots of fins and not be over driven to avoid thermal step down in those temps. Unless 25MPH or more,, full output i would think would be tough to maintain. How do you not overheat on climbs in those temps, good god!!

I like turtles
    How is the customer service with the vendor for Itou? Jim w/ Action has given me great customer service since starting to buy lighting products from him several years ago...its something to consider in the total "price" of a lighting system.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    This is why I think the Ituo xp2 is SO MUCH BETTER. Same output as x2 and duo, better heat dissipation than duo, uses heat management like glowworm but at the same price as the duo. Xp2 also has a GoPro style mounting system. Quality on par with any other lights.

Being I have all above lights mentioned (as does mole I believe) when it comes to bang for buck, right now Ituo comes out on top by far for overall performance and what you get as in batteries and such. Hard pressed not to rank it right up with glowworm and other lights at the higher "mid level" price level.

I was just on Ituo's website. Am i reading it correctly, the XP-2 with four cell battery for $115?? If so, that is an unreal price for what seams to be a product that checks all the boxes other than wireless remote. Of coarse we will need some time to pass to confirm reliability. I think i'm convinced for new best bang for the $$

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt View Post
    Isn't there a spot optic option on the Xera?? Thought there was. Or is the smaller size in general make that option (if available) useless?
    Not useless, far less effective.
    Mole

RAKC
    I was just on Ituo's website. Am i reading it correctly, the XP-2 with four cell battery for $115?? If so, that is an unreal price for what seams to be a product that checks all the boxes other than wireless remote. Of coarse we will need some time to pass to confirm reliability. I think i'm convinced for new best bang for the $$
    No that's the light head kit only, no pack or charger, site has the full kit listed separately, $170 with a Panasonic 6400mah pack.

https://www.ituolights.com/collectio...bike-light-kit

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Still a good deal!! Good output/thermal/battery and so on. Once reliability is established has to be right up there for best bang for $$ for a quality set up.

mtbr member
    Cant imagine night riding in 105 F. I would be less worried about the lights performance than my own.

One would have to have a large mass lamp head with lots of fins and not be over driven to avoid thermal step down in those temps. Unless 25MPH or more,, full output i would think would be tough to maintain. How do you not overheat on climbs in those temps, good god!!
    Riding in 105 sounds bad but far better than 119 when the sun is out. Riding habits have to be adjusted to suit the temp. (ride slower, stop to rest and cool down more often, etc...).

BT21 w/Vancbiker mount handled similar temps run continuously on turbo with no problems (105 grams w/mount). Good light-head design!

Mole

mtbr member
    Still a good deal!! Good output/thermal/battery and so on. Once reliability is established has to be right up there for best bang for $$ for a quality set up.
    The good deal at the moment is the yet to be released XP3. 185 for full kit (pre-order price)! Understand anxiety of dealing with new company and products. After owning my Wiz20 for a couple of months now far easier for me to feel comfortable with.
    Mole

I like turtles
    Night riding here is a cool-weather activity mainly in the fall/winter/spring..105 at night...WOW! I can see why your lights overheat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Night riding here is a cool-weather activity mainly in the fall/winter/spring..105 at night...WOW! I can see why your lights overheat.
    Pretty sure your night riding habits are far more normal. You guys ride at night because the days get shorter and it's the only time you can get your rides in (I'm sure just to night ride sometimes). Here it's too hot during the day so we ride more at night in the summer months cause it's the only time we can ride and not cook. You guys think I'm tough for riding when it's 105. You should see me whine when it gets below 50.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Riding in 105 sounds bad but far better than 119 when the sun is out. Riding habits have to be adjusted to suit the temp. (ride slower, stop to rest and cool down more often, etc...).

BT21 w/Vancbiker mount handled similar temps run continuously on turbo with no problems (105 grams w/mount). Good light-head design!

Mole
    Yeah i remember the first batch of BT21's were reviewed as pretty good lights before QC issues on later batches. Sounds like you had a good one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Pretty sure your night riding habits are far more normal. You guys ride at night because the days get shorter and it's the only time you can get your rides in (I'm sure just to night ride sometimes). Here it's too hot during the day so we ride more at night in the summer months cause it's the only time we can ride and not cook. You guys think I'm tough for riding when it's 105. You should see me whine when it gets below 50.
    Mole
    HaHa so true isn't it. Up until two years ago i rode in the winter months (mind you Squamish BC is about the mildest place in Canada in winter) In 25F ish/35F ish range just with two whickaway's and a wind breaker and summer biking shorts. Now i've added knee covers and i'm very comfortable. 100+F no way!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    this ain't really strap on and go per se, until you get all the pieces together
    and ...once all this is set up, it will be charge, strap and go
    -----

this is what I would do....and i am gonna try to sucker you into it with a free lighthead

1) zebralight h600w mark III on noggin
    (mcguyver the silicone holder to front of helmet)

89 bucks

2) 6 3400 mah 18650 cells unprotected

39 bucks here
    Panasonic 18650 3400mAh 3.6V Unprotected Lithium Ion (Li-ion) Flat Top Battery - Boxed (XBX01016)

3) xtar vc4 charger

Xtar VC4-Channel LCD Screen Intelligent Battery Charger

30 bucks

4) 4 cell 8 volt case

Solarstorm 2S2P 18650 Battery Case-8.70 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com

11 bucks

5) any cheap chinese light head or yinding*** that runs off your 4 cell case

40 bucks or ...see below

----------
    200 bucks roughly for all this, and this is extremely
    flexible if you do it this way with loose 18650 and charger
    (futureproof and you can play with all sorts of lights that run
    off 18650's)

keep the 4 cells for the main handlebar light, put one 18650 in the
    zebralight carry one spare

***and

if

you

buy a zebralight h600w mkIII and PROVE it here I will ship you an original Yinding blue head that runs off 8 volts...cuz I am not using it and I am crazy, and it has like one ride on it and it is perfect. I have so many lights I am not using so

free offer on the yinding head, I just want to see someone else run a
    zebralight on the helmet (I think it's awesome myself, much happy hammertimes)
    I run the zebralight. Also use it for mountaineering, night sking, camping etc. Thing is absolutely awesome!
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    It's not necessarily the heat here in Phx that gets you, it's direct sunlight.

I ride year-round and have been here awhile so I'm acclimated.

Between June and September, you mostly have two choices: Ride after sunset or be on the trail by 5:30 am so you're done by 8-9 latest. I typically ride in the morning, so it's commonly above 90 when I get rolling with full sun coming on.

I did a night ride on Monday. It was 105 when we started and about 101 when we finished. However, I don't really notice much personal performance degradation, mostly I think due to no direct sunlight, which I've found sucks the life out of me moreso than the heat itself.

I bought the cheap Nightfighter bar mount light Mrmole suggested and am still contemplating my helmet light.

mtbr member
    ...You guys think I'm tough for riding when it's 105. You should see me whine when it gets below 50.
    Mole
    I whine when it gets below 50 too. At least when you live in Arizona you can probably still ride in the winter. The Maryland summers where I live have been relatively mild the last 5 years or so. This year I noticed that I'm able to handle the hot days much better than I did last year, likely because I lost some weight. Only problem I have now is that I'm getting old and my old body is starting to not like being tossed around on a MTB.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    So, got the Nitefighter BT40 light for the bars. Pretty impressive little package for $60-ish and the battery snugged right in front of the shock on my Pivot.

IMG_1256 by dbozman1173, on Flickr

I was unable to get a second light and my Arc is a goner, so I rode with just the BT40 last night. It does put out a lot of light and it's almost enough on its own. What I noticed, though (having only ever ridden with a helmet light) is you really lose the trail when you pull up to manual a section or pop the front off a drop.

So, I need to get a helmet light ordered today. Probably either the Ituo or one of the glowworm offerings.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    That's gonna be a nice setup! Can't go wrong with either gloworm or Ituo. Im anxiously awaiting an xp3 full kit. Should arrive in the U.S. this week.

Finally!
    I have purchased 2 of these now with great results. I night ride quite a bit and these have been spot on for me. Cheap as can be ($35 ish USD including shipping) and although the mount sucks and needs to be modded to keep from spinning during a rough ride if on the bar, I am quite happy with the overall value of these. I always ride less than 2 hrs on my night rides and have not had a battery fail me yet either. These are all over E-bay.
    Light recommendations for newbie night rider-20160709_150458.jpgLight recommendations for newbie night rider-20160709_150515.jpgLight recommendations for newbie night rider-20160709_150607.jpg

Finally!
    Forgot to add a beam shot

Blackburn 3 led internal battery light.

Chinese cheapo light

Even if these only last for a couple seasons considering there will be newer smaller brighter lights and the low cost they won't owe me anything.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk