Light recommendations- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Light recommendations

Am getting back into night riding and looking for a new light.

In the past(20 years ago) I started with some DIY lights. I eventually bought some Vistalite 10 and 15w lamps with a water bottle cage battery. Eventually swapped out the battery for the lite stick model.

I had both the 10 and 15w lamps mounted on the bars. Ran the 10 on slow stuff and add the high when going faster. Loved this setup but the batteries are shot after sitting for about 5 years.

There seem to be a lot of choices and everything is led now. Can someone recommend some lights suitable for XC riding based on the criteria below.

H/L beams
    Run time at least 1.5 hours
    High quality/durability is more important than weight or price
    LIon battery
    Dummy proof charging
    Possible other applications like diving/hiking a plus
    Never used a helmet mounted light but that would be a nice option.

Thanks
    Tim in Maine
    Last edited by likeaboss; 09-03-2012 at 09:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by treilley View Post

In the past(20 years ago) I started with some DIY lights. I eventually bought some Vistalite 10 and 15w lamps with a water bottle cage battery. Eventually swapped out the battery for the lite stick model.

I had both the 10 and 15w lamps mounted on the bars. Ran the 10 on slow stuff and add the high when going faster. Loved this setup but the batteries are shot after sitting for about 5 years.

There seem to be a lot of choices and everything is led now. Can someone recommend some lights suitable for XC riding based on the criteria below.

H/L beams
    LIon battery
    Dummy proof charging

Thanks
    Tim in Maine
    I just purchased the gloworm system from action led and love the set up, lots of different lumen settings and very unobtrusive, great build quality and the company is always on here answering questions and giving feedback to any problems you might have. I like you have just started night riding again after many years, back in the day I had a turbocat S-47 which was a 47watt system with the old water bottle battery pack and it like yours died after years of just sitting.... Boy am I glad it did, otherwise I wouldn't have purchased the new gloworm set. Bang for the buck as far as lumen and beam pattern go you'll have a hard time finding anything better.

mtbr member
    Everyone has a new LED design now and the wireless are fantastic for a helmet mount.

The warranty is my main concern (180 days for a battery)
    I'm using a Niterider 3000 on my bar and a 600 for my helmet. This has been a
    great setup for mountain biking without any problems in over a year.

The DIY on the 3000 is set at 300--650--1100- lumens for desert riding, I keep
    the helmet light on low.
    For my road bike I use a Lite n Motion 1400 with a battery from 2007 that still runs
    for five hours.
    All have done well in heavy rain.
    Try to match the lumens your friends ride with or you'll be in your shadow.
    All these lights have great chargers...set & forget...it's the only way to go.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by treilley View Post

H/L beams
    LIon battery
    Dummy proof charging

Thanks
    Tim in Maine
    Check out BajaDesigns, their products are over built tough and are waterproof to 33 feet, which is overkill for a bike light.Just what your looking for,, and if there is an application to use for diving, via headband, you would have all of your list of wants taken care of.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy43 View Post
    I just purchased the gloworm system from action led and love the set up, lots of different lumen settings and very unobtrusive, great build quality and the company is always on here answering questions and giving feedback to any problems you might have. I like you have just started night riding again after many years, back in the day I had a turbocat S-47 which was a 47watt system with the old water bottle battery pack and it like yours died after years of just sitting.... Boy am I glad it did, otherwise I wouldn't have purchased the new gloworm set. Bang for the buck as far as lumen and beam pattern go you'll have a hard time finding anything better.
    I also have the Gloworm X2 for the bars, plus a Gemini Xera for my helmet. It's a great combination. I think those two lights are the best value for serious light output, both really well made with good features and both made by companies that have been active on mtbr. It is definitely worth using a helmet light; I'm using a small battery so I can mount both the light head and battery on my helmet and not worry about wires running to my hydration pack. The battery life on both lights is excellent, with a couple of hours of run time on high - which I don't use very much, only for the fast downhills. Did a ride of almost two hours this weekend and both batteries still had a good charge at the end ("green" light, about 60-80% of charge left on the Gloworm).

mtbr member
    May 2008
    After 3 years, twice a week nite ride I can't say enough about the Dinotte Bros. (2 man Company) lights. Nice guys, supper warenty service. Tough product...I must say this about that I will always use a handle bar light and a helmet light. The changing shaow shape from the 2 lamps revels depth perception. With 1 light the root or rock does not show it's size. it could be 2" tall or 6". Saftey is no accident!....Muddog P.S MTBR light shoot out is accurate. See it.

turtles make me hot
    I have a 2010 Exposure Diablo on my helmet. It's rated at 900 lumens. The 2013 is 975.
    No wires, great clip, easy charging. I like it a lot.
    I like turtles

Members who have read this thread: 0