Light (magicshine) advice for a clueless newb- Mtbr.com
    btx
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Light (magicshine) advice for a clueless newb

Getting ready to start doing some 24 hour relays, so I need a light set to experience riding in the dark for the first time. I will likely use whatever I get on the trail as well as on the road in addition to the 24 hour stuff. After reading around, it seems like MagicShine is what to get (which makes me a tad nervous because the folks I know are all running Cygolite or Ay-Up stuff, but past experience tells me that this many happy folks on the net generally aren't wrong).

Anyway, for the same money, I can get a 1400 and a 900 kit, or I can get two 900 kits and an extra battery. Any opinions on which would treat me better? I haven't seen that discussed before...

Thanks for the advice...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    How long would you're part be in a 24 hour relay? Are you sharing the lights with team mates or do they have their own?

I guess it really comes down to how much run time do you need?

With 2 lights (whether it's 2 900's or a 900 and a 1400), you can run them both on medium to extend run time and you'd still havde plenty of light.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Go with the two 900s and an extra battery. More than enough light and a little more of a clean look than the mickey mouse ears.

btx
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Unless the wheels fell off the bus, I figure 2.5 hours -- 3 at the worst. For the race, I think either solution would work -- I guess I'm asking more in general -- is the extra light from the 1400 more useful than a spare battery?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    With the 1400 running on low with just the two smaller lights on, the run time is 250 hours. No joke.

mtbr member
    probably dont need an extra battery. seems like the 900's on medium would work. mount both up, use 1 at a time if you feel you need to but they should go 24hrs in med mode right?
    "Life is for living, not living uptight"

mtbr member
    They won't go for 24 hours on medium something like 7 hours on medium if they are reducing current properly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by btx
    I guess I'm asking more in general -- is the extra light from the 1400 more useful than a spare battery?
    Keep in mind the "900" and "1400" in the magicshine names are pretty exaggerated. The MS 900 really puts out about 600 lumens and the MS 1400 puts out about 750 lumens. If you want to see the details of that analysis, look in this thread MagicShine 1400 Deconstructed

So the difference in total light output isn't really much more with the 1400. The main difference is beam pattern. The 1400 does have a wider beam pattern that's better on the bar. But, the 1400 is also a less efficient light than the 900 due to the specifics of the driver. That means you get a little shorter runtime for the same amount of light. But, I find the overall design of the MS 1400 to be somewhat cumbersome. I won't go into all the details on that unless someone really wants to know.

I tend to think two MS 900 are better than a 900/1400 combo. You can always stick a piece of scotch tape on the bar mounted 900 to make the beam a little more floody. I doubt you really need an additional battery. You can run them both on medium and get 4.5 hours of runtime. That is more than enough light. Even if you run them both on high, you'll get over 3 hours which is longer than you said you'll need.

Edit: Corrected medium runtime from 7 hours to 4.5 hours. Runtime on low is close to 7 hours
    Last edited by MtbMacgyver; 08-19-2010 at 10:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbMacgyver
    But, I find the overall design of the MS 1400 to be somewhat cumbersome. I won't go into all the details on that unless someone really wants to know.

You can always stick a piece of scotch tape on the bar mounted 900 to make the beam a little more floody.

MtbMacgyver, just curious if you've seen the 1400 in person, or just pics?

As far as the tape on the lens trick, I had zero luck with that on another light (a TR-801 "torch"). It just didn't work.
    I would love to see someone do side by side beam shots of a light without tape, and with tape, because I've read about that trick several times, but have yet to see proof positive photos of it actually working. Unless I'm using the wrong kind of tape, but I don't think I was.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    odtexas, what am I looking at?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    MS 900 one shot without scotch tape the other with scotch tape. Light/camera to wall is 20 ft. This is that opaque looking scotch tape. Covered entire glass lens.

btx
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    2 900s it is...thanks for the advice!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by odtexas

That looks great. I scotch taped my magicshine a while back and it really makes a huge difference.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'll have to try it with the MS. I had terrible results when I tried it on the TR-801. All it did was decrease the output by about 20-25% and didn't spread the light out any.

You sure those pics were taken with the camera on the same setting?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnut
    MtbMacgyver, just curious if you've seen the 1400 in person, or just pics?
    You wouldn't believe how hard it was to take the measurements in post 61 of the thread I referenced from a picture

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnut
    I'll have to try it with the MS. I had terrible results when I tried it on the TR-801. All it did was decrease the output by about 20-25% and didn't spread the light out any.

You sure those pics were taken with the camera on the same setting?
    Same camera, same settings for the past 2 years. The EXIF files have been checked numerous times by multiple people here. Never any variation. These pictures are hosted in a way that they alternate. Probably can't check the EXIF from these, but it is what it is.

There is a loss of overall light since some is blocked by the tape. Not a big deal in my opinion, but YMMV.

mtbr member
    I wonder what that glad cling wrap would look like?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by odtexas
    MS 900 one shot without scotch tape the other with scotch tape. Light/camera to wall is 20 ft. This is that opaque looking scotch tape. Covered entire glass lens.
    Those pictures are impressive. What is the exact type of tape you used? Just the standard Scotch Magic Tape? http://www.scotchbrand.com/wps/porta...glLJW3QDKQH0bl

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Yes,

Just that plain slightly white/opaque looking tape.

Members who have read this thread: 0