Light to complement Urban 800- Mtbr.com
    L1MEY

Light to complement Urban 800

Hi all,

I'm doing a night ride in a couple of weeks and need some advice. I have a Light & Motion Urban 800 that I use for daytime visibility and occasional rides after dark on city streets. I don't ride my mountain bike at night in general, but I'd like to do this moonlight night ride as it sounds like fun! The Urban 800 is bright enough for the street but I have a feeling I'll also want a helmet mounted light for the trail. Should I put the Urban 800 on my helmet and look for something else for the bars? Or keep the Urban 800 on the bars and get a different helmet light? I doubt I'll do a ton of night riding so I don't want to spend a bunch of money, but I also don't want the light to suck so badly it quits working halfway through the ride (probably 1.5-2 hrs).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
    Ride like a girl! :cornut:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mahgnillig View Post
    Hi all,

I'm doing a night ride in a couple of weeks and need some advice. I have a Light & Motion Urban 800 that I use for daytime visibility and occasional rides after dark on city streets. I don't ride my mountain bike at night in general, but I'd like to do this moonlight night ride as it sounds like fun! The Urban 800 is bright enough for the street but I have a feeling I'll also want a helmet mounted light for the trail. Should I put the Urban 800 on my helmet and look for something else for the bars? Or keep the Urban 800 on the bars and get a different helmet light? I doubt I'll do a ton of night riding so I don't want to spend a bunch of money, but I also don't want the light to suck so badly it quits working halfway through the ride (probably 1.5-2 hrs).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
    I would definitely use your Urban on the helmet. Spot beam better suited for looking around corners and further down the trail + it's light. Normally at this point I'd ask a few more questions but from your usage description and the fact I found a pretty good deal on this light (Ravemen PR900) that would work perfect for what you want. I own one of these and it has been reliable and proved to be an excellent off-raod bar light. Large capacity battery gives it about 2.5 hrs of runtime in the 800 lumen mode + usb charging and can be used as a power bank. Note that this light will not fit 35mm bars.
    Mole

https://www.amazon.com/Ravemen-PR900...ateway&sr=8-13

L1MEY
    Thanks Mr. Mole, this is great advice! I'm glad I posted here as I was about to order what would have been another more helmet suited light but figured I should check with the knowledgeable people before clicking the button

I now have the PR900 on the way, and I found the helmet mount for my Urban 800 so I'm good to go
    Ride like a girl! :cornut:

mtbr member
    Glad this was helpful. Only ask that you post how you like the light after you've go a couple of rides in with it.

Mole