A light for all night racing- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

A light for all night racing

Over the last 2 years I have done an all night, 14 hour 130 mile canoe race, The first time I did it I used a maglight and a nightrider trailrat combo. we used the maglight for continous use and the trailrat for the bad stuff. the maglight was approx 40 lumens and the nghtrider was around 190 lumens. As you can guess, for 8 hours it was a heavy and not a fun setup.

The next year we borrowed a cygolite TridenX LED Li-Ion X from a friend. It worked awesome. it lasted all night and jacked upto 600 lumens in the bad spots.

Im guessing some of you guys have great experience in night racing. What sorts of lights would you suggest?

The light needs to last at least 7 hours, it needs to run continuously at 100-200 lumens and be able to jump to 400 lumens from time to time.

I am a student so my budget is limited to approx 150$

Some lights I have in mind are...
    fenix tk40

that cygo tridenx I can get it for cost at 130$

A niterider at cost

a magicshine

Could someone buy me something like this for my birthday?

Do you guys have any other suggestions?

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    i use a camping/hiking headlamp, retrofitted to my helmet. it's much more usable than a bar-mounted light, because it naturally shines where i'm looking, not where my bars are pointed.

it's the Petzl Myo RXP which has selectable brightness levels up to 140 lumens. (in boost mode it outputs 160 lumens, but you have to hold the button down to use it.)

for <$100 it has comparable output to bike-specific lighting systems, and has greater battery life. it will easily run a few 7hr night races at max output of 140 lumens. it's worth consideration, because the headlamp can also be used for camping, hiking, fishing, wrenching, or anything you need a hands-free light.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Wow, a Magicshine newbie :-)
    http://www.geomangear.com/index.php?...roducts_id=180
    It will shine for about 8 hrs on medium/low, which is all the light you'll need in a canoe (the output is comparable to the Cygolite - on high maybe a bit brighter).
    Currently there is no better deal on the market.

If you don't wear a bike-like helmet while canoeing then you'll also need a headband, such as this:
    http://gretnabikes.com/lupine_headband_accesories.asp
    Funny it costs almost as much as the light system itself :-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by radirpok

If you don't wear a bike-like helmet while canoeing then you'll also need a headband, such as this:
    http://gretnabikes.com/lupine_headband_accesories.asp
    Funny it costs almost as much as the light system itself :-)
    Or maybe buy the Magicshine version.

http://www.geomangear.com/index.php?...roducts_id=154

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Cool, so at least one person stands behind the magicshine. I was looking at it last year and people kept telling me horror stories about it, how it would short out because they always had metal shavings left inside and how they overheated. I'm really glad they last 8 hours. I don't think I will be looking at something that is head mounted. My hand passes in front of my hand every stroke. I would be utterly blind by the end of the race from the light reflecting back into my eyes.

mtbr member
    Get the Magicshine "pro kit" in the 900, and you'll have an extra battery that's also tiny and light. You could run your light on high, punching out tons of light, and just swap batteries in a few seconds when the time comes.

You can also run the light on "strobe mode", which would be awesome in the canoe.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    You could go with a single Cree XP-G r5 and just have a few batteries on hand.

I built a 1" miniature single R5 with a Soshine 2s/2p RCR123a 800mAh battery. It gets 1.5hrs run time. If I bump it up to a pair of 26650 IMR's...it would still be helmet mount and you'd be looking at somewhere around 7-8hrs continuous. (approx) Probably within your budget, I think.

Just have 1 extra battery on hand and you'd have this much light:

From something this tiny:

Here's a battery size comparison...4cell 18650 vs 2x 26500 vs 2x18650:

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mikkowus
    Cool, so at least one person stands behind the magicshine. I was looking at it last year and people kept telling me horror stories about it, how it would short out because they always had metal shavings left inside and how they overheated. I'm really glad they last 8 hours. I don't think I will be looking at something that is head mounted. My hand passes in front of my hand every stroke. I would be utterly blind by the end of the race from the light reflecting back into my eyes.
    There are literally thousands of satisfied Magicshine customers, so "at least one" is a huge understatement ;-)
    Where do you plan to mount the light? How did you use the TridenX?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed
    You could go with a single Cree XP-G r5 and just have a few batteries on hand.

I built a 1" miniature single R5 with a Soshine 2s/2p RCR123a 800mAh battery. It gets 1.5hrs run time. If I bump it up to a pair of 26650 IMR's...it would still be helmet mount and you'd be looking at somewhere around 7-8hrs continuous. (approx) Probably within your budget, I think.
    chelboed, I like that little single you got but I'm a bit confused. The battery you use is a 4-cell ( 2S/2P ) set-up using 800mAh cells if I understand correctly. That gives it a total 1600mAh output. I can't see how you get 1.5hr of runtime unless you are under driving the led...maybe around 750ma? Comments? Is this using the Quazzle led/driver module?

mtbr member
    Exposure Lights Joystick with a headstrap...Who needs those stinkin cables and battery packs?

Its got what plants crave
    Quote Originally Posted by Climber25
    Exposure Lights Joystick with a headstrap...Who needs those stinkin cables and battery packs?

People who want all night run times and more lumens?
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

Members who have read this thread: 0