LED's for house lamps; Anyone using these?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

LED's for house lamps; Anyone using these?

Yes, I know it's a little off the subject of bike use but I thought it worth mentioning. Just recently I've replaced most of my CFL's with the new breed of LED replacement bulbs for house lamps. So far I like what I'm seeing. Prices have come down as well. They even make them in the Candle type and just the other day I saw one that is the mini "night light" type.

The typical lamp type outputs the same amount of light as a normal 60watt bulb ( 800 lumen ) but only uses 10.5 watts of power...sweet. The smaller "Candle type" about half that. Color tint is standard warm white and very comfortable to the eye. I haven't bought the "Night light bulbs yet but only because I can't find what I did with the old night lights I use to have. On the negative side I don't see any of the normal LED bulbs brighter than 800 lumen. No problem for me. If I need more light just use more lamps. Oh, they make them for the "bullet type " lamps as well. Just check out your local home supply store. Heck, they sell them in the grocery stores now too.

Light freak
    Be sure to buy the Cree brand, huge difference in output quality

Here you go Cat, this one says it is 1600 lumens - Cree 100W Equivalent Daylight (5000K) A21 Dimmable LED Light Bulb-BA21-16050OMF-12DE26-1U100 - The Home Depot

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I use nothing but LED bulbs anymore. Just bought two for my lamps at work at 8 dollars and some change each (40w). All bulbs in my house are LED driven now. CFLs are DEAD to me.

There's a lot of stuff you can do with LEDs, custom stuff too. A buddy of mine makes his own LED fixtures and lights via his torchmate cnc machine and LED strips that can be cut to length at www.superbrightleds.com .

Moving forward I'll be using leds for everything and I have some custom project ideas as well that I'd like to do (like perimeter lighting in the living room etc).

It's almost been 10 years ago when I got my first LED flashlight, it was at that point I saw the future to come.
    '12 Scott Spark 29 Team
    '13 Scott Scale 970
    '11 Scott Speedster S20
    '17 Scott Speedster CX20
    12 Scott Foil Team

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The other cool thing is that our city has been gradually replacing those old orange street lights with white LED driven ones... man they look so much better at night. I drove down one of the main roads in my old neighborhood the other day where they did a full street light replacement with the shorter white LED driven decor style lights and man it looked really nice. I can't wait for the days when ALL that old orange at night is gone.
    '12 Scott Spark 29 Team
    '13 Scott Scale 970
    '11 Scott Speedster S20
    '17 Scott Speedster CX20
    12 Scott Foil Team

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    This past autumn I picked up a whole bunch of LED outdoor spots for the security recepticals on my property upstate. There were two styles available, Cool White and Warm, the latter which were surprisingly a bit less expensive so of course I chose those. But for Warm lights they sure are blue. Can't imagine how the Cool Whites must look, yech.

LEDs for indoor use I see inside the box stores now are big improvement on first ones there couple years ago, still not very flattering light though. None of that sickly yellow that some CFLs went overboard with but no warmth at all. Guess you'd have to go to a specialty source for that, maybe pick out RGBW emitters.

Saw some interesting "be seen" bike lamps around NYC recently, absolutely paper white, wouldn't call them either Cool or Neutral. All different designs, from modest rectangular stips through squares and circles about two inches across. Wonder where they are coming from. Most likely be a while before anything like that shows up in high intensity for a real driving light.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I recommend not using the words they use to describe color temp like "Cool White" or whatever but by the kelvin number instead.

For a nice warm white for lamps, I go with 2700K. For uses where that would be too warm for me, I go with 3000K. A 'daylight' equivalent is 5000k I think. It's just better once you are familiar with the kelvin temp.
    '12 Scott Spark 29 Team
    '13 Scott Scale 970
    '11 Scott Speedster S20
    '17 Scott Speedster CX20
    12 Scott Foil Team

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I've been switching out all my bulbs using the Phillips ones. They are the only ones I can find that work well with the dimmers I have throughout my house. They seem to work well.

The effect has been to drop my power bill by about $40 per month. I concentrated on the high use bulbs and it seems to work. Just a couple of rooms left to do.

J.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zephxiii View Post
    I recommend not using the words they use to describe color temp like "Cool White" or whatever but by the kelvin number instead.

For a nice warm white for lamps, I go with 2700K. For uses where that would be too warm for me, I go with 3000K. A 'daylight' equivalent is 5000k I think. It's just better once you are familiar with the kelvin temp.
    Yes, I like using the Kelvin reference as well. The ones I'm using ( G.E. ) are listed as 2700K. Supposedly the lower the Kelvin number the more the light is suppose to mimic sunlight. That said I'm not sure the 2700K listed on the box is true because 2700K would ( or should ) look very orange. To me it just looks very neutral white or what I would think 4500K would look like.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I think you have that backwards. 5000K is considered "daylight" and is the whitest. 2700K is a warmer light and more yellowish. The lower the Kelvin temperature, the more yellow/warmer.

Incandescent bulbs are at 2700K and are quite yellowish. That's what we're all used to as an artifact of using a technology that could cheaply supply light from electricity so 2700K is what we got.

In our kitchen area over the center island and in the work areas, we installed 3000K lights for it's whiter light. We've found we really prefer that to the 2700K yellowish white.

The other thing we did is install 5000K lights in our walk in closet because these give the closest rendering of color in sunlight.

This is where the Phillips Hue lights are so cool. You can set them for any color you want and if you tie it in with some home automation proximity detection, you can actually have individual selection of color by who enters the room (for what that's worth).

J.

Swapping all of ours over as they burn out. I've had an LED in my outbuilding going 24/7 for the last 5 years and not one element is gone bad yet. My advice is to get the color right the first time because they last and last. We have a lot of flood light-type bulbs so I bought one of each color, figured out what we needed, bought those and returned the colors we didn't like. They vary slightly from brand to brand. Yeah Home Depot!

mtbr member
    I agree with Cat on the tints. 2700k LED bulbs do not at all look like what I'd expect. I've only upgraded a few lights to LED bulbs but so far so good. I'm finding I prefer 3000k for its whiter appearance (2700k cfls look so yellow now!). I also found that 60w equivalent LED bulbs are way brighter than 60w (or even 75w) equivalent cfls. I had to back down to 40w equivalents for ceiling fans using 3 or 4 bulbs. I'm actually on a wild goose chase for 25w equivalent LED bulbs that are standard E27 base standard shape.

Oh, and I'm using Lowe's Utility check bulbs with good results.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I converted my old apartment a long time ago back when they were stupid expensive. I probably have every brand ever made.

My whole house is LED now too. All Cree bulbs except for the small base bulbs. It's beyond easy to pick out. They offer either 2700k or 6k. I Base the color of the bulb on the room (paint color, furniture, etc), and the light itself (shade or lense) to get the overall color I want. They offer just about every common output. Most of mine are 18w 2700k 1600 lumen 100w equivalent. This bulb looks identical to a traditional 100w incandescent. My mother hates CFLs and LEDs but I had her try to guess what was what with this bulb and an incandescent and she couldn't tell the difference.

The one bad thing though, these bulbs have not been very reliable. Cree is known for their reliability but this particular one has not been good. I like this light the best based on looks, pattern, and output but I've replaced 5 of them in 6 months. Every time I replace one I put the package and receipt in the bag and put it away because i know I'm going to have to return one soon. They never go out once on, they only go out when you turn them off and try to turn them back on again. It seems to be limited to the 1600 lumen model and both the 2700k and the 6k. I just replaced one an hour ago. I wait until I need to go to Home Depot for something and take my bag with the bulb and receipt with me. I learned not to exchange but to get a refund and then buy another. I almost went past the warranty period because it started at the purchase date and not the return exchange date. Pretty disappointing for such a good brand but I've gof extras and return when it's convenient and the people at Home Depot know me now, I could probably return with no receipt now.
    '08 Hardrock HRXC
    '09 Epic Comp
    '14 Trance SX -

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Have ya tried communicating these failures to Cree? Always good to point out issues etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    '12 Scott Spark 29 Team
    '13 Scott Scale 970
    '11 Scott Speedster S20
    '17 Scott Speedster CX20
    12 Scott Foil Team

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by garrybunk View Post
    I agree with Cat on the tints. 2700k LED bulbs do not at all look like what I'd expect. I've only upgraded a few lights to LED bulbs but so far so good. I'm finding I prefer 3000k for its whiter appearance (2700k cfls look so yellow now!). I also found that 60w equivalent LED bulbs are way brighter than 60w (or even 75w) equivalent cfls. I had to back down to 40w equivalents for ceiling fans using 3 or 4 bulbs. I'm actually on a wild goose chase for 25w equivalent LED bulbs that are standard E27 base standard shape.

Oh, and I'm using Lowe's Utility check bulbs with good results.

-Garry
    Agree. I like th 3000K much better too.

2700K will be indistinguishable from an incandescent bulb. The CFLs that are supposed to emulate an incandescent never really got there. Always seemed to green to me. But the point here is that the 2700K LED will be almost indistinguishable from a traditional incandescent light.

I have a home automation system I built and installed in my house. I could not use CFLs with most of the switches. When we switched over to LEDs, with the Philips bulbs, you can not tell the difference in color from incandescents.

J.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BuickGN View Post
    ....The one bad thing though, these bulbs have not been very reliable. Cree is known for their reliability but this particular one has not been good. I like this light the best based on looks, pattern, and output but I've replaced 5 of them in 6 months. Every time I replace one I put the package and receipt in the bag and put it away because i know I'm going to have to return one soon. They never go out once on, they only go out when you turn them off and try to turn them back on again. It seems to be limited to the 1600 lumen model and both the 2700k and the 6k. I just replaced one an hour ago. I wait until I need to go to Home Depot for something and take my bag with the bulb and receipt with me. I learned not to exchange but to get a refund and then buy another. I almost went past the warranty period because it started at the purchase date and not the return exchange date. Pretty disappointing for such a good brand but I've gof extras and return when it's convenient and the people at Home Depot know me now, I could probably return with no receipt now.
    Thanks for the heads-up on the reliability issue. I was totally pissed with the CFL's because they never lasted as long as they were supposed to. All of the LED bulbs I have are the , "40 to 60 watt equiv. bulbs". That said they are lower power so hopefully they will last at least a couple years. Next time I buy bulbs though I'm going to do what you did and keep the receipt near just in case one dies before the warranty period.

( Edit )...Just realized that it might be a good idea to put as many lamps as possible on surge protectors. I don't do this currently but since all LED's require drivers I figure it's the drivers that are most likely to fail. A good power line voltage surge could likely blow the driver. Some brands might be more protected than others..(?)