5 33.33%
  • Neutral White

10 66.67%
  • Cool White

0 0%

Thread: LED Tint Poll

mtbr member

LED Tint Poll

Conducting a LED Tint Poll for XM-L equipped lights. Please put in your vote so we know what you want. To keep it simple the choices are warm white, neutral white and cool white. [LINE EDITED TO PUT MORE WEIGHT ON U2]

Note: If we want definition and depth perception go warmer but if we want intensity and throw go cooler tint.

[CHOICES EDITED. IT IS NOW IN LINE WITH CREE'S CCT RANGE. ]

2600-3700K: warm white
    3700K-5000K: neutral white
    5000-8300: cool white

A graph for reference.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by mtbRevolution; 08-31-2012 at 08:41 AM.
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    FWIW, it doesn't look like those values match up with Cree's - WW is around the same @3000K, NW is more 4500-5000K and CW is usually 6500K+. I don't know why the difference, but it could be confusing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    FWIW, it doesn't look like those values match up with Cree's - WW is around the same @3000K, NW is more 4500-5000K and CW is usually 6500K+. I don't know why the difference, but it could be confusing.
    Hey Matt, you are correct. When I looked into conducting this poll, I knew I'd be confusing and messy. That's why I tried to keep it simple. Too simplistic maybe.

Most will dismiss Cool White. I knew that from the start. Having said that, light throw junkies (myself included) would love high lux over warmer tints. Warmer tints are available for T6, T5, T4 etc. - correct me if I am wrong, ok.

The U2 we currently use is about the 5000K range (between Cool White and Neutral White) The S12 U2 and 1206 being reviewed are in this range and was referred to as Pure White. Some say there's no such thing as Neutral White, it should be Pure White - others will disagree again. We will call it neutral as Cree does.

Most bike light enthusiast and newbies will be totally confused if we started polling by Kelvin numbers or bin numbers ie Warm White 5A, 5C, 4C which may not be available in U2 today.

Happy to take advice to get the poll right.

Leonard
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    hey, no problem. I got completely thrown for a loop when I went to Home Depot to get some replacement fluorescent bulbs for the kitchen.

I didn't realise that you could get XM-L U2 bin in neutral white (5000K), according to Cree they're only available in cool white (5000-8300K). What's the tint code you're using, I'd be interested to check them out myself.

I think for general information, it would less confusing if you just described what they tints looked like and their relative benefits, eg.

cool white - pure white, max output, tends to flatten colours and reduce contrast

neutral white - slightly warmer white without being orangey, lower output, more realistic colours and better contrast

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post

I didn't realise that you could get XM-L U2 bin in neutral white (5000K), according to Cree they're only available in cool white (5000-8300K). What's the tint code you're using, I'd be interested to check them out myself.
    The XM-L U2 bin we are using for the 1206 and S12 U2 is called "Pure White U2 OD". It's quite limited compared to 1A or 1B.

As Colleen pointed out, it's Cool White with no hint of blue or green. So it's not, cool Cool White which you expect a tinge of blue in the tint.
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeccon View Post
    The XM-L U2 bin we are using for the 1206 and S12 U2 is called "Pure White U2 OD". It's quite limited compared to 1A or 1B.

As Colleen pointed out, it's Cool White with no hint of blue or green. So it's not, cool Cool White which you expect a tinge of blue in the tint.
    Yep, what Matt said. Len this "Pure White " ( as you mentioned ) is what I think most people will want. Nevertheless when battery technology catches up to emitter technology people are going to want higher powered lights using the more "neutral white" bin. ( or to put another way: More light but with less glare ) I have a torch I ordered with a neutral white emitter and I really like the visual effect of the softer light tint. Ideally a 2 or 3-up XM-L in "neutral white " would be absolutely sweet on the bars.

Here's the problem: You can't please everybody. Now if you can offer a choice when you place the order...
    ...that would be sweet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Yep, what Matt said. Len this "Pure White " ( as you mentioned ) is what I think most people will want. Nevertheless when battery technology catches up to emitter technology people are going to want higher powered lights using the more "neutral white" bin. ( or to put another way: More light but with less glare ) I have a torch I ordered with a neutral white emitter and I really like the visual effect of the softer light tint. Ideally a 2 or 3-up XM-L in "neutral white " would be absolutely sweet on the bars.

Here's the problem: You can't please everybody. Now if you can offer a choice when you place the order...
    ...that would be sweet.
    Cat, I looked at the 2009 Tint Poll at CPF before conducting this poll. No question those guys and gals know what they like. It's probably the same here. However it does not take in account the U2.

The U2 OD is apparently the brightest U2. Xeccon will ensure we use them in the S12s and 1206s as standard if we want the results we are getting. The U2 OD is in ALL our S12 U2s and 1206s we have in stock.

[For now] question remains, do we choose a softer warm neutral tint which may not be as bright or throw as far OR to go pure (grunt) white?

We won't rule out custom orders. Just be prepared to wait a bit.

Leonard
    Last edited by mtbRevolution; 09-03-2012 at 01:37 AM.
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeccon View Post
    ....The U2 OD is apparently the brightest U2. Xeccon will ensure we use them in the S12s and 1206s as standard if we want the results we are getting. The U2 OD is in ALL our S12 U2s and 1206s we have in stock.

[For now] question remains, do we choose a softer warm neutral tint which may not be as bright or throw as far OR to go pure (grunt) white?

We won't rule out custom orders. Just be prepared to wait a bit.

Leonard
    If you are talking single emitter lamps than by all means you want the brightest best tint you can get. If you're talking multi-emitter lamps, the loss of output you would get using the lower CRI bin is more than compensated for by the multiple emitter output, not to mention the increased clarity you'll get by not having to deal with so much "close-in reflective glare" that is characteristic of so many multi-emitter high lumen output bike lamps currently on the market.

just a Newbie
    Personally I prefer more of a natural white, 5000K according to the above chart (no blue), for use on most road where the condition mostly consist of black top or tar. Led in the warmer range does not see to provide as much detail for seeking out pots holes nor do they work as well when the road is wet during the winter.

For all other use like on the trail where there are multiple different objects with variation of colors, I find the warmer tint help give more depth perception at the same range compare to a more white color led. So the preference pretty much depends on what purpose I will be using the light to shine.

Here is my major pet peve about color bin and tint. The tint of the LED itself may stay almost consistent with the claim of the color, however after being placed behind a reflector or TIR and that's when things goes wacky. I have seen nice white LED that become bluish behind an Aspheric lens. Then there are some TIR that will shift the tint toward green, or a very deep throwing reflector can cause "tint shifting" making a good cool white greenish. So it is hard to say which bin or color of an LED is prefer until it is mounted behind the optic or reflector that is used.

mtbr member
    I think the problem with LED tinting is that most people really wouldn't know what is what until they see the differences with their own eyes. Recently I ordered a torch in what I thought was "Neutral white". In my mind I thought neutral white was just a very bright white light with no hint of blue ( as I had received in the past ). Well it turns out that is true but the one I got was on the lower spectrum side. At first I thought they made a mistake and sent me a WW ( warm white ) but the one I had was not orange or yellowish at all. Just a very "natural" white color. When I took it into the field my disappointment vanished when I saw how well the natural tint enabled me to see. Now I almost wish I could get a Gloworm X2 in that same tint although the present U2 bin used does very well and is brighter.

Unfortunately there is no way for the buyer to know what spectrum range the light they bought is really using unless they have some visual frame of reference. You would need a spectroradiometer to do that and those are very expensive. ( No Colleen, I don't think you can build one of those... ) The only other option you have is buying a bunch of LED's of different binning and do a visual comparison. That would be tedious to say the least.

Basically we just have to go by what our own eyes are telling us. This is why I have mentioned before that I wish someone would design a light with easy quick in-out emitter modules that would allow the user to easily switch to another emitter bin of their own choice. When the lumen wars stop choice of emitter binning will be the next issue foremost on the minds of the discerning night time mountain biker.

Members who have read this thread: 1