Led, Hid, Or Halogen What Is The Best.- Mtbr.com

Apr 2009

Led, Hid, Or Halogen What Is The Best.

What is the best all round light LED, HID, or Halogen i want the brightest and best battery life. and who makes them.

mtbr member
    In case of under 30 W power it'll be LED, and if you want something more powerful, - HID.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    LED is the best now (some Cree and SSC P7). A little better lumens/watts than HID. Halogen light is more yellow. They offer better shadows details but need 3 times more power than LED so you have to carry large battery. Not a good solution.
    Last edited by Trudo; 09-24-2009 at 07:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Bright and good battery life will lead you to the LEDs. I use Lupines- a Betty and a Tesla. For halogens, the most impressive are probably the Turbocats but battery life is usually 2-2.5 hrs of full brightness (and the two-light setup is impressive) but maybe 3-4 running at lower brightness. HIDs- Lupine's Edison and L&M's ARC were the best easily available here but they don't make HIDs anymore.

See what unveils at Interbike from the different manufacturers. I have yet to see a better overall light-combo than the Betty and Tesla so I'm content even though the game is changing each year and more lights come in to play.

ozz
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    LED's last longer - no filament to burn out so no blown bulbs.

mtbr member
    For a bicycle light I say led definitely. They have a longer life span, hold up to vibration better and have longer run time times when compared to other bicycle hids and halogens. For something faster than a bicycle, like a dirt bike or race truck, it's hid all the way.
    Contact us with your video production needs.
    [email protected]

He be a moose too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bajamike
    For something faster than a bicycle, like a dirt bike or race truck, it's hid all the way.
    Why is that?

FWIW, I had a L&M Arc and now have a L&M Seca 700. While I like the LED for it's durability, I prefer the light of the Arc.

mtbr member
    The ARC was one of the best HIDs. The new LEDs from L&M don't come close to being what the ARC was. They must have laid off their real engineers and hired some cheap labor.

Sep 2009
    LED for sure on a bicycle application, but one of the high output single large LEDs, rather than those that use multiple lesser ones.

HIDs still have advantages on the larger applications, but thats being pushed up and up as LED tech seems to be developing at a faster pace.

Reminds me of electric vs nitro debate in RC, electric was only the winner on small scale, but that scale kept moving up and up to where its the tech of choice up to medium-large craft.

"Mr. Britannica"
    halogen... if you are a caveman

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    HID is the choice for motorsports because LEDs do not have enough throw (how far away the light is usable). I assume this is mainly because you can get a single HID bulb to produce huge amounts of light, from a single point source, that can be effectively focused by a reflector and lens. HID works much better than halogen because it is far more efficient (35 watt HID bulb produces equivalent of 250 watt halogen bulb), and there is no element in an HID bulb to get vibrated to death and burn out.

I run a Trail Tech MR16 30 watt HID spot light on my mountain bike. It's usually overkill at 1850 lumens, but it's my motorcycle night riding helmet light (along with an 8 inch Baja Designs 35 watt HID race light that throws 3200 lumens). On my moto, the 30 watt HID is good to about 45 mph; beyond that, you are outriding the light (can't see what's coming until it's too late). I suspect the current crop of LED lights are good to 20-25 mph, which is sufficient for most people's night bicycling needs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Almost there...the 2010 Audi A8s will be using (the V-10) LED headlights and it will be optional in the V-8. Trust me- there is no problems with throw. My one-LED Tesla has a long effective throw...more than my Jet Phantom halogen (prob my favorite halogen) and even more than my ARC (an awesome HID) had.

It has just been very expensive so far, especially since they have to cool several LEDs. With reflectors and more powerful LEDs, this will become more common, especially in higher-end cars.

He be a moose too.
    Interesting about the throw, now I know. Actually, the thing I like about the HID more is the fact that it is one bulb. I don't like the "patterns" that form where the different bulbs join together, they form areas of differential lighting and I find that very distracting and for lack of a better word, schizophrenic (I know a terrible misuse but I can't find another word). The HID was a solid pattern that faded at the edges.

Blue Mountain, the one thing I thought the management was smoking crack about on the Arc was when changing from helmet to bar mount, you had to unscrew that small screw (losing it if you are in the field, etc). That was inexcusable to not have a quick change. I talked to L&M about that and when I said it was undoubtedly not an engineering decision but a management one, he subtly agreed.

I don't like the mount on the Seca much, I prefer the helmet mount on the Arc and the Seca seems to high.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pinguwin
    Actually, the thing I like about the HID more is the fact that it is one bulb. I don't like the "patterns" that form where the different bulbs join together, they form areas of differential lighting and I find that very distracting and for lack of a better word, schizophrenic (I know a terrible misuse but I can't find another word). The HID was a solid pattern that faded at the edges.
    And what's wrong with several burning LEDs? Just have a look at the beamshot of a four-LED headlamp with 20 mm optics:
    http://www.skisport.ru/photos/pictur...d=13015&page=1
    LED is the bottom one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Using a reflector solves that problem of a sharp cutoff. The first pic is of the ARC and the second of the Tesla- just some casual pictures here but you can create a reflector that has a smoother transition and spreads the beam out however you want. The ARC reflector is slighty wider and has a bit more of a flare than the Tesa reflector and the shape of the dimples are a bit different. On the trail, the Tesla is a lot more amber-colored and has more reach and more brightness. The amber color also makes it easier to see depth of variations and obstacles on the trail.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    LED ...for sheer lumen power as well as the flexibility of optics. You can get exactly what you want in beam.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Halogen! Now that I have settled that. I will sell you my old Vista Halogens, so I can buy an LED system

urmb

Members who have read this thread: 0