Lantern and fans for camping- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Lantern and fans for camping

I'm considering picking up some accessories for camping. I have a bunch of bike lights and usually use those, my strobe flashlight or my headlamp for lighting. However, I may get a lantern make things easier to see a larger overall area. Any recommendations and do they make any that you can power from a bike light battery pack or USB battery pack?

I'm also considering picking up a USB powered fan for camping. I'm not sure how well it'll work though on hot humid summer nights. Has anyone tried using one?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
    I'm considering picking up some accessories for camping. I have a bunch of bike lights and usually use those, my strobe flashlight or my headlamp for lighting. However, I may get a lantern make things easier to see a larger overall area. Any recommendations and do they make any that you can power from a bike light battery pack or USB battery pack?

I'm also considering picking up a USB powered fan for camping. I'm not sure how well it'll work though on hot humid summer nights. Has anyone tried using one?
    Since it's only going to be temporary, the cheapest option would be to use a coat hanger or two to make up a lampshade frame - with hook on top and a loop at the bottom to hold a lighthead. Build the shade using aluminium foil - which you would have anyway. Have the light facing upwards bouncing light back on the ground. The light spread and brightness will amaze you. How much area you need lit depends on the height of placement and diameter of the shade. Having an extension cable would be handy with the placement of the battery pack.

Can't help you with the fan. Don't think it's effective out in the open anyway. An esky full of ice and beer is better.
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    May 2008
    ^ I like the ingenuity. I'll build something to see how it works.

I saw a video yesterday where a guy had 3 arctic fan and two led light strips hooked up to a battery pack. He said the fans works alright if they're close enough to you. I may do something similar depending on how much camping I do this summer.

The fans and lights are about $8 each and I figure the cables to convert my batteries to USB won't be much. I just need to figure out which ones to get since each battery seems to have a different plug

Yeah!
    A USB powered fan on a hot summer night is... laughable. If you're going to spend $24 for three very low volume fans, why not spend $5 more and get a tent fan?

I use an O2 Cool 10" Tent Fan. It has a plastic plate with steel insert, and the fan bracket has a high power magnet so you can mount it from the tent fabric. It also has a hook for hanging from loft tabs, paracord, whatever.

The eight d-cells you can insert will just get you through a weekend. For weeks at summer camps with the scouts, I picked up an $18 utility battery that fits inside a dry box like this. I added a switch and two 12V sockets. One is for the fan, the other has a automotive USB adapter to run a lamp and charge my phone.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    ^ I may go with something bigger like that. It'll depend on how hot it is and if I'll be car camping or backpacking / paddling to camp. I saw a YouTube video where the guy used 3 usb fans and he said it worked well if they were close to you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

mtbr member
    May 2008
    That looks pretty neat. I already picked up one of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0045X...2UL&ref=plSrch

But I may get that lantern too when I camp more this summer

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    That Luci light looks interesting. There are a few different versions of it. It is very light, and might be something to throw in a backpack. I can see it being handy for a trail side repair, giving ambient area light as opposed to our regular bar and helmet.

The Luci EMRG also seems interesting. It has fewer LEDs so it's less bright. But it has an SOS feature in alternating white and then red patterns.

There's even a diffused, warm white version if you're so inclined.

mtbr member
    I've used the luna for a few years, it's a nice, convenient reading light, or a gear up light that doesn't bother others. A lot of light compared to most USB lights, but spread well. Warm color rendition.

I was excited when Goal Zero's Guide 10 Plus AA recharger came out, I had craved a recharger that could take a battery swap. I grabbed one and used it at camp, recharging it in the car during day and charging the phone in the tent at night. It worked for two weekends before refusing to recharge one of the batteries. Thinking the batteries it came with were not great quality, I tried it with good quality energizers and tenergys... same results. Batteries are fine for 5-8 cycles, then the charger starts declaring cells bad. Use cells with regular charger, they work fine. A second unit did the same thing, as did the other two units friends had purchased. What a shame, it now sits in the glove box, I can always throw a set of fresh batteries in it to charge a device, but can't trust it to recharge the batteries. I keep it in case someone else has a problem and needs something to recharge their phone in their tent at night.