L30 II - a new generation of old buddy- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Good job! L30 II - a new generation of old buddy

I'm working on L30 II now. The plan is to deliver it by 2015 spring, my new season. I plan to use on my road bike.

L30 II - a new generation of old buddy-temp.jpg

L30 II - a new generation of old buddy-1.jpg

L30 II - a new generation of old buddy-bike5.jpg

The light is configurable. With the following options
    1) CREE XP-G2 dedomed for ultimate throw
    2) CREE XP-L or XM-L2 (like on the picture). In this configuration the total flux is around 1000lm, 5800cd, about 150 meters ANSI throw
    3) new CREE XHP50, up to 2500lm in turbo mode!

I will also consider HD (protected dedomed LEDs) option for all configurations.

The light integrates a top-grade efficiency synchronous buck regulator and a controller which already implements "adaptive temperature" technology that adjusts the wattage to the ambient temperature, does it very smoothly so if the light gets too hot you hardly even notice the wattage drop needed to cool it down.

Of course it also implements battery protection and stretch, a few useful modes.
    The light will be equipped with a 7.4V lithium battery. You can also use it with your 2S2P battery (protected or not).

Please like and share this post if you think it should go live this spring!
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...9002728&type=1

We need your help to make it real! Please donate, all I ask just a few mouse clicks and it will help many people to make their bicycle riding much safer and comfortable.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    As usually, your light looks like piece of jewelry!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by -Archie- View Post
    As usually, your light looks like piece of jewelry!
    Thanks! This time I did all possible to minimize the costs and make it a rather practical tool.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    One question about practical use for cycling: how long it supposed to be on high mode before overheating protection kicks in? I see no cooling fins on the case, and suppose that road speed might be enough for it, but mountain biking in warm summer night will not provide adequate air movement.

mtbr member
    there's no "overheating protection" in common sense in this light.
    Instead i have implemented an adaptive algorithm that runs all time and tries to maximize the output for the current condition. And it makes it really really slow and smoothly. I hardly ever notice the output drop when it happens. Your vision accommodates much faster then the light adjusts the output. That's the trick. So nothing kicks you even when the temperatures goes too high.

Regarding the housing - yes, it's tiny. And we don't have warm nights here. Normally the summer night temperature here ranges from 50F (10C) to 70F (21C). So I can only argue that in conditions like these the light runs on full output (about 1000lm) when you just move, not fast. The light is tiny, it's true. But for me it's pretty enough for my road cycling, I use it since 2008 with many upgrades. My today's configuration is 1000lm CREE XM-L2 and it performs just great.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks for comprehensive answer. Well, constant adjustment of power seems interesting feature: none of my lights are doing that, so it was a bit difficult to understand how it feels in reality.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Nice work!

Constant power adjustment sounds like a great idea which makes a lot of sense. Instead of waiting for the light to hit a threshold of say 70 or 80 degrees and then dimming the light suddenly it seems way better to watch the temperature all the time and adjust the drive current up or down slowly to keep below the threshold.

mtbr member
    Nice, Quazzle.
    Where's the switch on this one?
    What's the UI like- 3 levels, continuous dimming, both?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ofroad'bent View Post
    Nice, Quazzle.
    Where's the switch on this one?
    What's the UI like- 3 levels, continuous dimming, both?
    it's in my "todo" list. At this moment I can implement modes with simple power pusle UI (you interrupt the power with any switch).

I plan to machine a nice two-button bar control with a simple step up & down user interface. Yes, it will take some time, about 2 months I guess. I will need to make a couple of CNC parts plus some resin and electronics stuff.

And it will make more sense for me to spend dollars on this if I will see more interest to it. At this this time I rather check if it makes any sense for the community. As for me it's a question at all, I urgently need it for my bike. But let's see what you guys think about it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarwick View Post
    Nice work!

Constant power adjustment sounds like a great idea which makes a lot of sense. Instead of waiting for the light to hit a threshold of say 70 or 80 degrees and then dimming the light suddenly it seems way better to watch the temperature all the time and adjust the drive current up or down slowly to keep below the threshold.
    Yes, this is exactly how it works! Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I would be in for one depending on the price. Looks like a work of art!