• 05-30-2018
    BC Shelby
    L&M Seca 1800 Race - Reviews? Beam patterns?
    ...so does anybody have this light, or seen any reviews that include beam patterns? I have pretty much exhausted my google-foo on this as all I can find here on MBTR are reviews for only the 2013 Seca 1700 (6 LED) and current 2000 - 2500 series.

    I see a lot of stores selling teh 800 race, but am unable to pull anything up on the company's website which makes me wonder if it was discontinued.
  • 05-30-2018
    Outbound
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by BC Shelby View Post
    ...so does anybody have this light, or seen any reviews that include beam patterns? I have pretty much exhausted my google-foo on this as all I can find here on MBTR are reviews for only the 2013 Seca 1700 (6 LED) and current 2000 - 2500 series.

    I see a lot of stores selling teh 800 race, but am unable to pull anything up on the company's website which makes me wonder if it was discontinued.

    I got to sample out the 2500 Enduro and the 1800 Race during a demo night about 6 months ago. The beam pattern is what made me go back to the drawing board on my own lights. The 1800 race is the same beam pattern as the 2500, just chips being run at a lower power. The Trail version of my light is punching in right in between the two in terms of intensity and beam pattern, except I have to say I think ours is a little wider.

    Was very impressed with the Seca's though, one of the few bike lights I do respect. Hate that proprietary battery pack and cord though. :)
  • 05-30-2018
    BC Shelby
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
    I got to sample out the 2500 Enduro and the 1800 Race during a demo night about 6 months ago. The beam pattern is what made me go back to the drawing board on my own lights. The 1800 race is the same beam pattern as the 2500, just chips being run at a lower power. The Trail version of my light is punching in right in between the two in terms of intensity and beam pattern, except I have to say I think ours is a little wider.

    Was very impressed with the Seca's though, one of the few bike lights I do respect. Hate that proprietary battery pack and cord though. :)

    ..so it doesn't have very wide of a beam then?

    I still have my old Jet Starfire Dual which had both a spot and flood that gave me both nice peripheral and distance illumination. I primarily used for commuting as many of the side streets where I live are very poorly lit (even more so as they went to less diffuse LED streetlamps which leave very dark areas outside the immediate light cone). The reason I like the flood is it is more visible to motorists approaching from the side at intersections as well as keeps cats, squirrels, and raccoons from darting into the street.

    Sadly the charger burned out and apparently Jet Lites is no longer in business. so I cannot get a new charging unit (been checking eBay but no luck). Pity as the light head still works and battery continued to maintain a decent charge.

    Hence, I am looking for a new bright light system (hate those piddly little flashers most people use) but I want one that also has a wide cone as well. Looking in the 1,600 - 2,000 Lumen range (same brightness as a car headlight) and one that is solid in wet weather (I Live in Portland OR).

    Saw the Ugoe Waterproof LP65 (145$ at Amazon) which does have a fairly nice spread to the beam but at 3,000 Lumens it's seems just a bit of overkill for the city even on darkly lit streets. ANy thought on that one?
  • 05-31-2018
    MRMOLE
    It's quite possible that you may be able to demo a Seca 1800 if one of your local bike shops carries L&M. Worth a try and best way to know what your buying. Here's a link to some testing information, sorry I don't have more info for you.
    Mole

    We Test Lights | Seca 1800 Test and Review
  • 05-31-2018
    Vancbiker
    The Seca 1800 would be plenty wide for any use. Of course, beam type and needs are very much a user preference. IMO, the Seca would be a far better light than the Ugoe.

    If I was looking for a new light, I'd get in on this today...

    https://www.outboundlighting.com/pro...trail-edition/
  • 05-31-2018
    BC Shelby
    ...does kind of look more like a motorcycle/automotive headlamp and well engineered. Need to delve a bit more into this Thank you.
  • 05-31-2018
    Outbound
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by BC Shelby View Post
    ...does kind of look more like a motorcycle/automotive headlamp and well engineered. Need to delve a bit more into this Thank you.

    If you have any questions I'm the guy. I designed them. ;) The beam width is absolutely massive on the trail version. Very rarely do I find people actively searching for a wide beam width which is awesome to hear!

    We have a huge thread on here talking about em.

    http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-...1055278-4.html
  • 05-31-2018
    BC Shelby
    ...thank you heading over there.
  • 11-09-2019
    MHCBH
    Sorry to resurrect the old post, came across it when searching for when the Secca 1800 was d/c. I really liked the Secca.... for the 3 times that I used it, then the battery died on me mid-race. I've been trying to go back and find where I bought the light to see if it can be warrantied by Light and Motion. Not super confident in their products now though, after my light failed on me mid-race, and after so little use.