Klarus BK30- Mtbr.com

Thread: Klarus BK30

mtbr member

Klarus BK30

mtbr member
    Interesting. Could make for a good commuter lamp. The adjustable side lights will please people who want a low beam that won't ( or shouldn't ) blind on-coming traffic. Otherwise I don''t like the battery and remote set-up. ( too much excess wire ).

...And speaking of blinding on-coming traffic. Tonight I saw a guy using a very bright lamp on the road. It was bright enough that it certainly drew my attention ( which is a good thing actually ) Now the question, "Did it blind me"?.....Hell NO!. Now if I was standing right in front of him ...maybe. Driving down the road though...nope, and I was looking right at it ( something you really aren't suppose to do ). When I passed him I looked to judge his throw. Maybe 50 ft or more but it was hard to tell because of the street lamps and other cars.

mtbr member
    I use to have cars flash me back in the day when I ran Niterider.
    They had very sweet 45watt dual incan. which had a NiCad
    battery as big as a bike water bottle, hence that where you
    carry it. To top that I also ran their 15watt incan. on my
    helmet. They just don't make the same product anymore.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StJoeRider View Post
    I use to have cars flash me back in the day when I ran Niterider.
    They had very sweet 45watt dual incan. which had a NiCad
    battery as big as a bike water bottle, hence that where you
    carry it. To top that I also ran their 15watt incan. on my
    helmet. They just don't make the same product anymore.
    People driving cars hit high beams for a variety of reasons. Sometimes people will see a cyclist's light at night and hit the high beams simply out of curiosity. Has nothing to do with giving you a message. They are just curious what the light is on the side of the road. ( ever notice that when riding a dark quiet road at night when cars come up behind you they sometimes hit their high beams?...I see this all the time. They see all the red flashing lights and are wondering, "What is this"? ) On the same roads the on-coming traffic is looking for road side wild life and will hit the high beams to prevent themselves from hitting the buggers. Believe me, they are more worried about hitting a deer than that guy riding a bike coming up the road using a bright light. Sometimes though the people driving forget that people riding a bike can be blinded by a car's highbeam.

When I'm on lonely dark roads I turn my lamps on high ( if I don't have to worry about battery power or near by cars ) Then when a car is approaching from the front I wait till I know they can see me THEN I power down. That way they know I'm using my lows ( in response to their presence ). If they are using highs they power down immediately. This works almost every time.

Yeah, we all had the Niterider halogens back in the day. Personally I don't miss them one iota.

mtbr member
    Just out of curiosity what is the lux of an average late model suv on high beam? One would think orders of magnitude greater than the mean lux of a bike light. Unless your rockin a lupine on full in the city this concept of "blinding" drivers seems moot as a commuter... or am I high?
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

RAKC
    Your high

Vehicle lighting is diffused. The bulbs are "caped" so there is no directly forward light, as well as most newer cars have a reflector in front of the bulb which blocks all direct brightness from the bulb itself,reflecting it back into the main reflector, not blinding on coming cars from the brightness of the filement/emitter.

Cycling lights dont have that, the entire emitter is exposed in all directions, worst of all directly forward.

Go out side, turn your cars light on high, aim them down the street, set your bike lights directly the same direction (set on the hood) so the "spot" is at face level when you walk down half the block and then look at the lights. The little bike light is going to blind the hell outta you because of its intensity (forget the unit of measure for that) where as the car headlights are diffused and wide spread, the high intensity center of the bulbs are blocked from view. So that bike light your going to see WELL through the car headlights.

PS, just to clarify, a decent led bike light, the cheap walmart crap doesnt count

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Just out of curiosity what is the lux of an average late model suv on high beam? One would think orders of magnitude greater than the mean lux of a bike light. Unless your rockin a lupine on full in the city this concept of "blinding" drivers seems moot as a commuter... or am I high?
    I don't know but some of the newer cars have some awesome headlights. I had a guy pass me last night in a car that when he was parallel with mine completely over-powered my own car lights. After he got ahead of me a ways I was able to see that his lamps were able to really light up both lanes with what looked a lot like LED ( cool white ) lighting. Not sure what model he was driving ( maybe an Acura ) but I've seen some Caddies with the same type of head lights. Get these cars behind you on a dark night and you have no choice but to tilt all of your mirrors down so you block all light because even with your "night mirror" down they still blind you. Still never been blinded by a bike light except on single track trails where you are headed head-on into the light at close range and slow speed.....no, I don't think you're high but if you are pass me the joint.

EAT MORE GRIME
    some sites are doing pre-sales orders for this thing, 100 bucks

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I see this as a copy of the fenix bc30. Even the naming is copied. The 'form factor' might be different but it reminds me so much of the BC30. Even their promo pics.
    You must not forget Klarus has a history of copying/ripping off other brands designs/ideas. 4sevens knows something about it ....
    Shitty company. I doubt I will ever buy anything from them.

RAKC
    Dude this thing IS NOTHING AT ALL like the bc30. Not self contained, 3 emitter with 2 that have wide range of movement.... Where do you get its like the bc30, looks and functions like nothing fenix has.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Dude this thing IS NOTHING AT ALL like the bc30. Not self contained, 3 emitter with 2 that have wide range of movement.... Where do you get its like the bc30, looks and functions like nothing fenix has.
    Fenix: BC30
    Klarus: BK30

Fenix: OOTB remote switch
    Klarus: OOTB remote switch

Fenix Lumens: 1200
    Klarus Lumens: 1200

Fenix Advertising pic: https://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server4...0.1280.jpg?c=2
    Klarus Advertising pic:
    https://www.klaruslight.com/kenzo/we...4216_38613.jpg

Pricing:
    Fenix: $100
    Klarus: $100

Battery/battery pack:
    The Klarus 'imitates' the fenix pack with https://des.gearbest.com/uploads/201...1811189995.jpg

Klarus BK30 1200Lm LED Headlamp-99.00 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com

Another user saw likewise there :*new* Klarus BK30 Bikelight

This light is fugly, the 3 lights is probably what was patented...and of course, I might be mistaken but the flood/throw concept is a fenix idea?

EAT MORE GRIME
    This is nothing like a clone of a Fenix

Klarus is a 100% legit, real flashlight and LED light manufacturer.

Fenix is as well.

Both are true 'companies' have actual buildings, staff, distributors, and their own patented designs, in-house manufacturing. Klarus has been around a long time.

unlike a lot of other LED light companies, and definitely nothing like the 'shadow' companies like magicshine, yinding, trustfire...*-fire...etc.

you cannot compare the two at all, other than they are in competition with each other... and much like new cars, when Fenix or Klarus specs out a new light or LED, the other company scrambles to get to market with something similar. Klarus is smaller than Fenix and they are usually behind the curve...

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Klarus is a garbage company in my books. I will not add to what I have said other than read this thread and the other thread it links to. Everybody is free to think how he likes and free to buy whatever they want. For me, it's a no go.
    Is Klarus quality better than FourSevens ?

EAT MORE GRIME
    foursevens ?

4 sevens is OK. nothing to write home about though

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    As I said, to each his own. I'm not a 4sevens fanboy. Never was. As you pointed out, their quality is just 'ok'. I had a fenix e21 for $30 and when I got a $70 quark, I was bemused by how it lacked quality and durability with respect to the $30 Fenix. Their recent move to eliminate their programmable flashlights have even moved me further away from them. Pricing/quality was one and now the removing of features is another.
    I am just saying I am an even less impressed by Klarus. Of course, everybody can support/not support a company.

RAKC
    Im not supporting them by any means, just clearing up facts is all. There are good and total crap Chinese lights, I know nothing of these other companies, I can say fenix good quality stuff.

Thing is though, there is lights that look like copies everywhere of other lights, then cheap Chinese clones and so on. Fenix is a step above clones and have their own thing going on. But like I noticed the other day, the glowworm X2 looks insanely similar to a lupine piko. And truth be told, all lights will fail in some way at some point, just better the light, the far less of a chance of premature failure (not to mention the other added things that bring up the cost)

EAT MORE GRIME
    so I ordered one, thinking road bike use since I can keep sidebeams pointed down

but will use on trail and whatnot too...

EAT MORE GRIME
    got it

been riding it

anyone want my previously owned united PA light ?
    my yinding ? my shadow bl21 ? my Gonex ?

imho....This BK30 is the ULTIMATE light , they nailed it (with minor caveats)

trust me I know crap light, and have been around the block using all sorts of MTB lights...

this is THE LIGHT
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(but the remote needs a bit of work)

I emailed Klarus and they
    might actually add a short remote bypass cord, [they have been known to change things quickly based on user input.]

I recommend this light 110% for road and trail at any speed

a) the light head itself and main button functions is awesome

main beam has INSANE throw, cool white

and you can twist the light head left and right a bit on the mount to accommodate curved bars which we all have

b) the side beams are high CRI ('mellow' if you don't know what high CRI looks like) and since they can be set to low and aimed down, this is amazing way to ride the street back and forth to the trails and see what is on the road and not blind traffic

the side beams are stiff to turn and they stay put. once set to a certain angle (road ride) set and forget.

c) On trail running any combo of beam is awesome. I stuck to medium/medium but could have run high center/medium sides. don't even need the side beams but they are pretty damn nice

d) REMOTE

get over it, it sucks.

it doesn't not duplicate the main button functions, it will turn off any side beams and all you can do is flash them. unacceptable, I want a remote that emulates the main buttons, this one is different and restricted modes. junk to me

e) remote extra cord.

you cannot bypass it without soldering up your own system. so I nylon tie wrapped it up into a ball and now have to hold it down with my awesome strap. I asked klarus to provide a pigtail remote bypass and then this light would really rock.

f) main power input is the standard magicshine size so if 2x3600 mah doesn't give you enough runtimes (olight sells true 3600mah) you can add any pack you want

--------------
    SUMMARY

for riding, no better light head, bar NONE !!!!! it is because the side lights can be aimed, and the side lights are HIGH CRI, I say this. if the side lights were cool white I'd not be raving about this

LIMITATIONS

2x18650 you might want mo powah. with 2x3600mah I rode three hours no issues.

remote is useless to me, so I balled it up in a pile and tuck it away under my awesome strap.

-------------------
    this light head and it's actual function blows away anything i have seen or tried, and it has tons and tons of throw

YES I think I have the perfect light now, for what I do, ride road to trails and hammer my butt off, then road to more trails and then home. I do not see how this can be beat by anyone unless they also do the exact same thing

cool white beam with amazing deep throw
    high cri beams that can be dipped independently
    Last edited by 127.0.0.1; 11-04-2015 at 07:47 AM.

EAT MORE GRIME
    update

I cut off the remote (kept both screw connectors, the 4 pin and 2 pin)
    soldered battery red/black to light head red/blue

and got rid of 1.5 feet of useless (to me) cable and remote

rjx
    mtbr member

Thank you for the review

EAT MORE GRIME
    update

still using this thing all the time. love it.

yinding gathering dust

EAT MORE GRIME
    another update

this light now shuts off unexpectedly on some drops, it cannot handle hard chunder MTB. it does it maybe twice in a 20 mile ride, but that is 2 times more than acceptable. it is not anything external or any connector, it is something internal. it turns back on if you hit the switch, but lately the only thing saving my skin is my helmet light.

This light will go to road duty only and I'll seek another primary MTB light.
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    .....this light now shuts off unexpectedly on some drops,
    Unacceptable for sure.

Broken solder joint inside the light probably. Seen it before on a couple Magicshines.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

Members who have read this thread: 0