Just Received; Fireflies E07 ( 5/20)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Just Received; Fireflies E07 ( 5/20)

Just got my E07 in. Didn't open up the DHL package till I was having a bite for lunch. This is actually a funny story so bear with me. After I had it out I quickly inserted one of the 21700 cells that I brought along. It was still full daylight so really I just wanted to see if it worked . Well....low and behold I tighten everything up on the torch body nice and tight, pushed the power button and "Shazam"!....nothing happens. ( WTF! )

Flustered, I disassembled the body, looked everything over, put the battery I had in my E01 in it and Damn!....it still wouldn't work.
    At this point I'm thinking I got a dud. Since I had the E01 with me as well I thought I'd try using the battery tube on the E01 on the E07 since both use the same size battery tube. Well low and behold, that got the E07 head to work!. Then I tried using just the E01 end cap with the E07 tube and that worked as well! So now I'm thinking I just need to fiddle with the end cap that came with the E07. Anyway, I start to put everything away, reassemble the E07 with all it's own parts and as soon as I do that I see the battery indicators on the E07 light up!

Okay, okay...so now it works. I have no idea why it didn't work before but thank God for little miracles. Sadly it rained almost all day and night but I was able to shine it around here and there to get an idea of output as well as beam tint. Hard to judge the spill of the light on wet roads or ground but when I got home I tested it in my entry hallway along with my other torches so I had something to compare it with.

The E07 I think is going to make a very nice bar light for Mountain biking. The seven 4000K temperature Cree XP-L HI emitters ( that I ordered for mine ) are very nice and warm and much to my liking. Makes me wish now that the E01 I bought late last year offered the warmer LED's as there is a stark difference in beam tint between the two. ( The E01 is using a 5700K temp range emitter ). I won't know how well I like using the combo together until I can actually take it on a trail. Been raining here where I live almost every other day for more than a couple weeks now so it might be a while till I can take it on a dirt trail that isn't mud strewn.

Okay, so everyone is probably wondering: "What about the boost"? Well...here it is. The boost is friggin AWESOME!! Turn the boost on and the head of the lamp immediately becomes untouchable within seconds. This little lamp is definitely the brightest of my handheld EDC torches, no doubt about that! It's so bright that no way would I ever really use it at that level while on the bike as I'm sure it would overheat and go into thermal regulation in less than 30 seconds. That's okay with me. I knew that going in when I bought it. Still, should be really fun to hit boost every once in a while if just for *hits and giggles.

Might be a while till I can get beam shots. I still have some medical issues going on so bear with me. I can't ride my MTB on dirt at night anyway except on weekends and then only if it stops raining.

mtbr member
    Winter arrived today with a freeze warning late at night. In May, who would of thought . Never seen temps this cold in May before. Tomorrow though should get up to 60F and should allow me to get out to take some beam shots with the E07 on the paved MUP behind where I live without having to freeze my *** off. While it didn't rain today I'm sure the dirt trails around me are likely too wet and muddy to ride.

BTW, I might consider using the E07 as a helmet torch. I bought it for the bars but I have a Convoy S2 with a nice NW beam tint that has always worked well on the bars and more closely matches the beam tint of the E07. Since the E07 is brighter I might test the E07 on the helmet just to see how that combo works together.

mtbr member

E07 beam shots

Took a quick ride on the MUP behind my home to do some beam shots. For some reason I had a real hard time trying to post these. I've posted beam shots before and never had a problem. This time the website just wouldn't except my photos or had them sideways. Really had me scratching my head. Had to try several options when editing.

When I took the first two photos ( inside ) I think I had used a zoom and then forgot when I used the phone camera again outside ( ). (Note; the E07 gives you the choice when ordering on the color of the stand-by lights. I ordered blue but I think green and red were other options )...On the third and fourth photos I still had the zoom on and was taking the photos from just behind the bars. Looking back I think I just should of taken all from head height ( like I did with the rest ).

The first three beam shots were as such; ~400 lumen, then ~ 600-700 lumen and the last one on boost which is anyone's guess on output. All of those where done at the same spot on the trail. After that I moved on.

The forth beam shot was likely in the 600-700 lumen range. This photo turned out pretty good. Throw is not bad but this torch I think will work better on the bars so I didn't test it on the helmet. I almost forgot I had the E01 on the helmet. I used it just to see how the beam tints would intermix. No problems on an MUP but on trails...ehh...remains to be seen.

The fifth beam shot was done on another straight away. This time on boost. Like I said before boost looks real nice but quickly ramps down within moments.

For the most part I was pleased with how the E07 worked on the bars. Beam tint was nice and warm although you have a hard time telling that with my phone camera and the fact that I was riding on a paved surface. Don't know when I'll get a chance to ride on some dirt. Need some dry weather and need it to get a little warmer. When I do get to ride some trails I'll take some more photos.

Just Received; Fireflies E07 ( 5/20)-e07-1-2-.jpg

Just Received; Fireflies E07 ( 5/20)-e07-2-2-.jpg

Just Received; Fireflies E07 ( 5/20)-e07-3-2-.jpg

Just Received; Fireflies E07 ( 5/20)-e07-4-2-.jpg

Just Received; Fireflies E07 ( 5/20)-e07-5-2-.jpg

Just Received; Fireflies E07 ( 5/20)-e07-6-2-.jpg

Just Received; Fireflies E07 ( 5/20)-e07-7-2-.jpg

mtbr member
    Last night when I used the E07 I had the U.I. in the smooth ramp setting. Both the E01 and the E07 use the same UI known as Anduril. My E01 is in the stepped ramp setting. The E07 came pre-set in the smooth ramp. Directions on how to program ( or reprogram ) the different features came with the set but the directions are on a card the size of a baseball card. Practically impossible to read unless you have a magnifying glass ( which I don't currently own ) Thankfully you can find a readable version on the internet. Just reset the E07 to "Stepped ramp". In that format once you turn the lamp on ( one click ) you then press and hold and the lamp either gets brighter in steps or lower. Not sure which format I like the most but I will try both. With the E07 I think when in step mode there are five steps, not including boost which you double click to activate ( or deactivate ) (edit; there are 7 steps not including boost )

Next thing I have to do is reprogram the temperature setting so the E07 doesn't go into thermal regulation so fast. I forget now how to do that but I did do it to the E01. Just have to read the instructions again or check on youtube. ( Edit; Almost forgot to mention both E01 and E07 come with an 18650 cell adapter. Can come in handy if you only own a few 21700's )
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 1 Week Ago at 11:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Next thing I have to do is reprogram the temperature setting so the E07 doesn't go into thermal regulation so fast. I forget now how to do that but I did do it to the E01. Just have to read the instructions again or check on youtube.
    Ha! If it makes you feel better I have to do the same thing whenever I change anything on any of my Anduril UI lights. Love how smooth the beam coverage is on this light. Your pictures don't show this but I'm curious how the light coverage is around the front wheel (enough but not too much?).
    Mole

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    Ha! If it makes you feel better I have to do the same thing whenever I change anything on any of my Anduril UI lights. Love how smooth the beam coverage is on this light. Your pictures don't show this but I'm curious how the light coverage is around the front wheel (enough but not too much?).
    Mole
    The section of MUP I rode last night is full of turns. I don't recall too much about what was near the front wheel. I just remember not having any trouble seeing what I needed to see. Shining it around in my home the beam coverage in front of the front wheel will likely depend on how you point the lamp and how much output you are using. If in the "step ramp mode" there are seven levels of light (not including boost ). If you are using the two brightest modes I don't think there is going to be any issues of not being able to see directly near the front wheel because the spill in those modes is quite bright. If you use the lower modes no doubt you may at some point need to point the lamp a bit more downward to see more near the front wheel. Of course all this is speculation on my part since I really won't know for sure until I get to hit a trail with the E07.

Boss man has me on the Graveyard shift starting tomorrow. If it doesn't rain by Thursday ( suppose to be in the 80's ) I might be able to sneak out and get some quick trail shots before headed off to work. If that happens I can prop the bike up with sticks and then take a couple beam shots from behind the bike. No promises though. I have no idea how I'll feel after working three GY shift days in a row as it's likely going to screw with my Circadian rhythms big time. I don't think I'm going to like trying to sleep as the sun is rising. As a young man I could handle stuff like this but at 65 ....I really don't know how it's going to go. Lets just say, "I'm not happy about it".

mtbr member
    Just woke up at about 6:30 pm. The graveyard shift is going to kill me. Can't wait till the week is over. Forget what I said about doing beam shots on Thursday. I'll be feeling like ( ) the rest of the week. Just hope the rest of the week is better than yesterday.

Anyway, I finally figured out how to do the thermal configuration. Even after I read the text instruction on line I still had questions. Luckily I found a Youtube link that was able to show a decent demonstration of the Anduril U.I. and how to do the recalibration of the LED thermal regulation settings. Hopefully I now have it set for 65C. ( default was suppose to be 45C ) Nice thing about the video was that it also showed how to do a battery voltage check as well as accessing some other useful modes. Right now my battery is showing 3.9 volts so the short ride I did the other day didn't use too much power.
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:14 AM.

mtbr member

Photos; Just for you MRM

These photos in response to MRM question about how much light falls directly in front of the wheel. When I went out to get these it had just started to rain. Need I say more.

The first photo is taken in the third mode from high ( not boost ) this is about the lowest level I'd likely use while on trails.

The second photo is one mode up. I did not use the high or boost mode. Took me about 10 minutes to get this done after I found a spot still relatively dry. Time to get ready for another grave yard shift. I think these photos give the viewer a better idea of the warmth of the beam tint ( as well as width of the beam pattern ).

Just Received; Fireflies E07 ( 5/20)-e07low.jpg

Just Received; Fireflies E07 ( 5/20)-e07mid.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice!!!
    "PLEASE LORD FORBID THEM FROM ENTERING, FORGIVE US FOR THEY SHALL NEVER LEAVE"

mtbr member
    I really like the way the last beam shots came out. Seems if I step away from the bike the phone camera is not only able to show the beam tint more accurately but also the beam width and intensity. Going forward I'll try to do some more of those when I get a chance to ride in the woods. The only problem with doing these kind of photos is that you need something to make the bike sit upright without falling over, not easy to do unless you can find some sticks to act as props. My road setup has a kickstand so I was able to put something under the kickstand to make it sit more up-right. My mtb on the other hand has no kickstand so I have to use sticks ( if I can find some, usually not a problem )

I really missed a golden opportunity to take a trail ride yesterday but I was still trying to recuperate from the graveyard shift of last week and I still have an on-going medical issue that can't be fully dealt with until some of the diagnostic medical facilities re-open that are now closed due to the C-19 dilemma ( some diagnostic things just can't be done until the offices choose to reopen. No telling when that will be. Heaven help anyone right now that needs to get an MRI, colonoscopy, endoscopy or some minor surgery. If it's not deemed an emergency you just have to wait. I now know what it is like to have to wait like you do in the U.K. if you have the government provided health care )

( Edit; I got lucky today. I found a Physicians office group that will not only see me in person on Friday but have the diagnostic equipment in house to do the needed testing. Now I just hope I don't have a condition that requires major surgery or something worse. ) Whatever the case the diagnostic will be preformed likely by next week.
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 1 Week Ago at 09:03 PM.

mtbr member

E07; first trail test

Turned out to be a great day for a mountain bike ride. Not too hot and not too cold. Dry trails, simply great. Went down to one of my local parks that I have not ridden since last year. When I first tried to enter the trails I had an unpleasant surprise. Seems the park service had decided to close off the section of trail I was trying to access. My first thought was that they had closed off the entire section with fencing but thankfully all they had done was a re-route. Once I figured that out and where the new access points were I was fine as the old access point had tended to erode it spots anyway. Basically just a minor change but boy was I mad till I figured out what they had done.

Once I had all that figured out it turned out I found an excellent section of trail to do beam test on. First though I wanted to just take a quick spin just to get an idea of what the E07 could do on dirt trails. Didn't take long before I got a very unpleasant second surprise. Seems when I first started using the E07 on the single track it looked real good when I would first turn it on but to my dismay the lamp would just start to power down almost immediately! It was happening so fast I couldn't help but notice. When I felt the front of the lamp with my hand the lamp was barely even warm which of course made no sense!

Well, to say the least, this totally pissed me off. I was so mad I just decided not to try to take beam shots ( which really would of been hard to to anyway with the damn thing dimming down to about 300 lumen every 30 sec. So I just turned on my back-up lamp ( my Raveman PR-1200 ) and made my way back to the car, grumbling to myself the whole way. Talk about a real buzz kill.

When I had used the lamp for the first beam shots the lamp had worked perfectly and I did not notice any thermal dimming at all. Hmmmm. That got me thinking. I did try to recalibrate the thermal setting after the first test ride. With that thought in mind I figured I must of did something wrong. Anyway when I got home I tried to recalibrate again and somehow it was still doing the same thing. Getting very flustered, the only other option was to do a reset to the factory default. After that the lamp began to behave normally. Just to make sure I tested it in my hallway with a fan on it and from what I could tell it was keeping a steady output and getting moderately warm. I then once again tried to reset the thermal setting. This time I might have gotten it right as the lamp is still maintaining a steady output on the highest stepped setting ( not including boost of course ).

I also discovered something when doing all this. When the lamp is in "smooth ramp" mode it seems the lamp can go a bit brighter before having to go to boost to get the max. It also gets much hotter so I know it's not my imagination. I think this is because when you put it in "stepped ramp" mode the max setting is the factory default setting. However it seems you can reset the output on each of of the steps if I'm not mistaken. That said I don't think I'll mess with that for now. If I want more output I'll just switch it back to "smooth ramp" which is pretty easy to do ( Pause ) I just now switched it back to smooth and yes indeed it gets brighter ( and yes much hotter ). If I had to estimate I'd say the max smooth high setting is something slightly over 1000 lumen. On stepped ramp I think it's more like 700-800 lumen. Does get hot when over 1K lumen but it seems to hold the output at that level. I will however do more testing just to make sure but at least it's not doing what it was doing when I did the trail test.

Lastly, the E01 I had on the helmet was working wonderfully. Need more testing on that one too. Seems to hold it's output on high but I do need to do a bit more testing just to be sure. I also discovered I can turn off the blue running lights on the E07 ( or make them blink ) if I want to. For the time being I'll let them on but at times I like to ride totally stealth.

Suppose to rain Friday and Saturday unfortunately. I also have a Doctors appointment Friday so likely I might not get those trail beam shots in till Sunday ( this is assuming that it doesn't pour buckets Fri or Sat. ) Felt good being on the MTB. Been a while since I rode on dirt.
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 1 Week Ago at 08:39 AM.

mtbr member

E07; first trail photos

Turned out to be a very nice day. Although it did rain earlier in the day I knew the rain was so light that it wouldn't have too much effect on the trails. The E07 seemed to working fine and I was excited because it was a warm slightly muggy evening, tee shirt and shorts weather.

As I hit the trail I rode the other night I came up real fast on this tree sitting right off the trail and thought...Hey, why not. Not the place I really had planned on taking the photos but I figured it would only take a moment so I took a couple shots.

After taking the first photos ( not sure on the step levels, but I thought they were 3rd from high and 4th from high but now I'm not totally sure. ) The first one should be a step lower but you can't really tell that by looking at the photos. That might be because on the second one I stood a little more off to the right and the bike might have moved without me knowing it since it was just leaning against the tree. The trail itself dips a short ways from the bike so this was not the best place to show the total throw but I had already planned on finding a better spot to take photos using the higher levels.

As I moved on I fiddled with the different modes and liked what I was seeing. Although I had my helmet light along I left the helmet light off so I could judge whether or not the E07 was maintaining it's output. As far as I could tell it was and so I was anxious to do a couple more sections where the terrain was known to be more rooty and I could up the output. Moving along I crossed over one of the park gravel access roads and when I did I suddenly noticed coming down the gravel road one of the park service vehicles with it's yellow roof lights just blinking away. Oh F"""! I was only about 100 ft. into the next section of woods. I quickly reached up and turned the E07 off and then remembered I had to use my hand to cover the blue running lights. I just sat there and I could tell he must of seen me because he sat still for a good long moment. I figured if I could see his lights through the woods he likely could have seen mine as well.

I can't begin to tell you how much this pissed me off. Technically I'm not suppose to be riding the park after dark. ( God how I hate the Md. park rules ). Anyway, I now had to go complete stealth on a section of trail that was full of roots. I also figured he might try to cut me off by circling around to one of the other parking lots where the trail I was on just happens to come real close to the parking lot. Turns out I was right in my assessment because when I got near that parking lot I could see his flashing lights and his car stopped. I just sat there in complete darkness with all my lights off. Eventually he must of thought I had already gotten past that parking lot so he moved on. After that I exited the trail and rode the road back to my car.

For the record I hate having to play hide and seek with the park service so this meant I had to beat feet back to where I had parked ( outside the park ). This meant no more testing of the high modes and completely crapped out my intended ride. I really don't like having to jabber with the park service personal so I just made my way back to my car with my tail between my legs and a disgusted look on my face.

Sadly most of the trail networks near me are patrolled by either the county park service or Md. Dept of Natural resources. Right now there is only one other place I can ride within a 40 minute drive that I can ride without too much worry about being hassled by anyone. Still, some of the places I used to park my car at now have "No parking or will be towed " signs. With only one other place to go I hope they don't put signs on that road as well or I'm completely screwed.

Anyway, here are the photos. I would of loved to have taken more photos but didn't want to take the chance of being read the riot act by the park service. The first one is suppose to be a step down but you really can't tell from the photos. I did not use the higher modes until I started to ride. The higher modes were just fantastic. Tomorrow if everything goes right and there is no more rain I might try the place where ( hopefully ) no one will bother me. ( on a side note: I will definitely be disabling the blue running lights. If you don't want to be seen sometimes you have to quickly turn off the lights in sensitive areas. Torches are good for this, one click and the lights go out )

Just Received; Fireflies E07 ( 5/20)-e07trail3.jpg

Just Received; Fireflies E07 ( 5/20)-e07trail4.jpg

mtbr member

Apologies

Sorry but I had to cancel the ride I had planned for Monday. I'm still dealing with some medical issues and turned out I wasn't feeling up to a ride yesterday. Believe me I was not happy about that as the weather was perfect. Next week I have a diagnostic procedure scheduled for next Tues. To say the least I'm concerned on what the Doctors will find but I can't get treatment until they get the low down on what's wrong with me and give me a diagnosis.

On a side note something I will mention about the E07. Even though I used the E07 on the last ride very little, maybe 15 to 20 minutes. When I got home I hit the 3 clicks option to show me the battery voltage. The torch flashed out 4 flashes, paused and then 1 flash. This indicates the battery only gave up 1 / 10th of a volt ( full peak voltage is 4.2 volts ). While I was using only the lower levels most of the time still this is very impressive as most other torches I use will typically lose the first couple 10th's of a volt very quickly. This could of course have something to do with the the bigger 21700 cells.

Next time I go out I might go back to the park I went before and try starting at a different time this might enable me to bypass the encounter with the park service as perhaps they patrol on a set schedule.. Wish I knew what time they went home. The E07 has a very nice "moon mode" which will help when riding stealth. I might have to make a hood for the lamp which can help if I point the lamp downward when riding in stealth "moon mode" as the E07 does tend to throw some upward light. At least I have the blue running lights disabled so I no longer have to worry about those.

Oh the crap I have to go through just to get a relaxing ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    What a drag. I can't believe they won't let you ride in the park at night. What a waste of resources patrolling for something that has no negative effect that I can think of. Save money and make people happy by allowing it. Win-Win! Good example of regulations gone wild - and I'm not one for rampant de-regulation. Just sensible ones. Thanks for the effort any way!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk View Post
    What a drag. I can't believe they won't let you ride in the park at night. What a waste of resources patrolling for something that has no negative effect that I can think of. Save money and make people happy by allowing it. Win-Win! Good example of regulations gone wild - and I'm not one for rampant de-regulation. Just sensible ones. Thanks for the effort any way!
    Yes I know. It kind of boggles the mind. The different counties in my state will spend millions in these parks erecting Baseball, Football, Basketball, Lacrosse, Tennis and Soccer fields with high power stadium type lighting and then let people use these so they can participate in team sports at night to their hearts delight. Ride your bike on the wooded single track park trails with your own lighting and you are told this is not allowed, even while people are using the illuminated sport fields...go figure.

Now if I ride in a "State run" park or forest area ( where the best trails are ) these are more heavily enforced by the Md. Dept. of Natural Resources. Most of these areas will have on site offices or even houses in some cases where a park patrol officer will live on site. The parks ( if they have no camping facilities ) are usually gated and the gates will be closed after sunset. I've had run-ins with the DNR police on several occasions during the many years I've been a mountain biker. Usually when this happens I'm told I have to leave which in most cases is usually what I'm doing anyway by that time.

Occasionally though I get caught trying to enter after it is already dark. If this happens I'm told to turn around and leave. Oh the stories I could tell. On one occasion I drove 1.5 hrs to get to a particular state forest that I love to ride at night because I know it like the back of my hand. Once again I arrived at night and had parked off site. As I'm riding down the paved entrance road to the park I'm no more than 200 ft. from the closest trailhead when I see a car coming down the road from the park. Turns out to be a DNR officer ( a woman in this case ) who blocks the road with her car and then, with the look of utter disbelief on her face, she tells me I can't ride into the park. I then then ask her if people are allowed to camp in the park ( which I already knew they were ). She tells me yes they are but that no one is allowed to use the trails at night. Anyway, she tells me I have to turn around and leave. Although disgruntled I respectfully turned around, not willing to argue with someone who I had a sneaking suspicion was a rookie and had never seen a mountain biker riding at night before. That was bad enough but then the ***** started following me. This ticked me off. Not to mention I didn't want to lead her to where I parked my car. Strategically I turned onto another road hoping she'd be dumb enough to follow me in which case she was. She then followed me for another half mile. Eventually she stopped following me when I turned to go down another road.

Now at this point I could of gone back to the park and entered another way but technically my car was parked on the state park grounds so I figured it was best at this point to just ride back to my car and leave least someone decide to tow my car. My bad there, I shouldn't of parked on the state property even though I thought at the time it was far enough away from the main facility as to not draw attention. I wasn't willing to take the chance that "the rookie" might circle back to the park, see my car and decide to have it towed ( although no signs saying I couldn't park there )

mtbr member
    I guess I'm lucky trail access at night is not a problem in the Phoenix area. I think they enforce trail use hours in the county parks but most of the city parks are open (or at least they don't patrol them). Nobody likes having to look over their shoulder when bending the (unfair/no harm) rules a little but given your options I'd be sneaking around too.

On a side note something I will mention about the E07. Even though I used the E07 on the last ride very little, maybe 15 to 20 minutes. When I got home I hit the 3 clicks option to show me the battery voltage. The torch flashed out 4 flashes, paused and then 1 flash. This indicates the battery only gave up 1 / 10th of a volt ( full peak voltage is 4.2 volts ). While I was using only the lower levels most of the time still this is very impressive as most other torches I use will typically lose the first couple 10th's of a volt very quickly. This could of course have something to do with the the bigger 21700 cells.
    Positive effects of using larger cells a big plus for flashlights and bike lights too. I'd be willing to bet the fact the E07 uses 7 emitters also extends the usage times quite a bit (compared to a single emitter light) when run at lower output levels. That plus what looks like a much better beam pattern makes me think the multi emitter flashlights may be the best flashlight option for bicycle bar use.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    I...Positive effects of using larger cells a big plus for flashlights and bike lights too. I'd be willing to bet the fact the E07 uses 7 emitters also extends the usage times quite a bit (compared to a single emitter light) when run at lower output levels. That plus what looks like a much better beam pattern makes me think the multi emitter flashlights may be the best flashlight option for bicycle bar use.
    Mole
    Yes, I have to agree but when you use more emitters there's always going to be a limit on how much light you can use because of the heat dissipation issue. Not that I think it can't be done but if it is ever done it will need to be done with a dedicated bike light that is specially designed with extended fins in order to remove the heat.

Last night when I got home it was so nice out that I just had to take a quick spin on the road bike ( @ ~ 12:00 AM ). Just before leaving I thought I might just take the E07 with me just so I could see what the beam pattern might look like on the road, test to see if it is holding it's output steady and how much battery power it might use. Not a whole lot of really dark roads where I live but there are a couple dark sections where I knew I could get a general idea.

I chose one mode down from high as my default mode. This turned out to be a good choice as I really don't think I'd use a lower mode on the road unless the road was really dark and I was moving slower or climbing up a hill. I was very pleased how this torch worked on the road. Big difference though using a lamp with a warm NW output vs. my usual preference for a bright white beam tint for road use. Still the E07 got the job done, throw was decent and beam width was enough in the darker areas to light up the entire width of the road. When I moved it into high of course things looked even better. Most of the time though I kept it in the "one step mode down from high" and interestingly none of the cars I came across bothered to flash their lights at me so perhaps with the NW emitters the light is not as annoying as the torches that use the colder white LEDs.

When I got to the darkest section of my short loop I have a section of road about a 1/4 mile long that has no street lamps. Even on my chosen default mode I could see almost the entire length of the road. High mode of course was even better. Then I decided to hit boost. Boost is just absolutely freaking AWESOME. From almost a quarter mile away I could see deer start to scatter and this is something that usually doesn't happen until I'm within 100 ft. of them. I decided at this point to let boost run for a while but sadly as I came up to a sharp curve in the road a car started to come down the road so I had to power down. After that I entered an area that had some street lamps so sadly there was no need to use the boost after that. Oh, almost forgot to mention; from time to time I would feel the front of the torch to see how hot it was getting. On high ( not boost ) it would get warm but nothing that had me thinking it was going to over-heat as long as I was moving. (*Note: air temp. was 70F , muggy and no wind )

E07 makes for a decent road lamp although if I were to buy one for road use I might decide to buy one using emitters in the 5000K temp. range ( although I always insist on using only Cree emitters ). That said the brighter tint would likely irritate some of the on-coming traffic.

Since I didn't recharge the battery after the last ride I once again checked the charge on the battery after what was to be another short ride ( ~ 15 minutes ). To my surprise, the flash indicator mode on the E07 was still showing 4.1 volts!! Wow, I'm getting the feeling I might be able to complete a two hour ride on high ( 700-800 lumen step mode ) with just one battery. ( I'm currently using the Samsung 5000mAh 21700 cells ).