Is this a joke?!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Is this a joke?!

So while searching for 26650 flashlights on AE came across this little winner:

Is this a joke?!-c8bffed5-7cc7-45ce-a0d7-4e916cb02092.jpeg

Need I say more?
    Last edited by andychrist; 02-14-2020 at 12:11 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Narrow bridge, gives the appearance that it is longer than it really is. Look at the size of his foot on the tile...the number of tiles per red horizonal line on the ground...the number of lines per guard-rail post, etc. That hot-spot is less than 100 feet out there.

And the illumination on the hillside is photoshopped.

mtbr member
    Would of been nice to have a link. I have no idea what the guy is holding in his hand. That said to me it looks like the torch he is holding is using an adjustable focus optic, in which case the ring artifacts produced by such optics are horrendous.

I've seen video on Youtube where people with custom flashlights have setups with absolute monstrous throw ( I'm talking about throw that can reach what looks to be over a mile ....guy was on a hillside over-looking a town and was lighting up buildings at least a mile away ). People who have stuff like that are torch hobbyists and know how to get the most out of the emitters they are working with.

Whether the photo here is altered I couldn't say. If you want something like that you have to spend some time over on CPF ( Candle Power Forum ) and ask people where you can get something like that. I'd love to have something with that kind of throw, not for biking but for just F'n around. That said I think you can expect a custom setup like that to cost hundreds of dollars.

A while back I bought a ThorFire S70S hoping for monstrous throw but sadly for as big and heavy as it is ( about 3.5 to 4 lbs. ) it was only good for maybe 1000 - 1500 ft.

( edit: Look at how bright the city lights are to the left of the guy in the photo. Yeah, I'd say a good chance the photo has been altered or the exposure set very high. )

EAT MORE GRIME
    that is a cheezeball generic focus lens, without aberration correction obviously. that has so many artifacts the boogeyman will seem to be popping out of everywhere at you.

and yes that is a long shutter you can see the lanyard swing frozen in time

nope
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Would of been nice to have a link. I have no idea what the guy is holding in his hand.
    Sorry Cat the hyperlink must have broken somehow because it was fine when I tested it before.

Here it is without the description, hope it works this time.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...archweb201603_

Canít believe they included such an unflattering pic of the beam with that hideous [non] CREE rainbow.

EAT MORE GRIME
    A fever is normal and it is recommended to use strong light every day.

anyhow, 20 dollar light, there are thousands of these FSO's (flashlight shaped objects)
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    I think thats a multiple exposure shot on the bridge.
    And the edge of the lake is illuminated without the light pointing at it. Nice.

I love how they still talk about T6 as if that was a competing LED (it's a bin, a very old bin).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by andychrist View Post
    Sorry Cat the hyperlink must have broken somehow because it was fine when I tested it before.

Here it is without the description, hope it works this time.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...archweb201603_

Canít believe they included such an unflattering pic of the beam with that hideous [non] CREE rainbow.
    Okay, "Pocketman" it is. Don't know why they chose that name as it certainly isn't going to fit comfortably in a pocket.

I'm not sure now that the torch is using an adjustable throw setup. Can't tell from the photos of the torch itself and the fact that the product description is in Russian isn't telling me much. Anyway my guess is that it's just using a reflector but one that is a lousy match which is why you see all the artifacts in the beam pattern. The head size looks almost the size of a typical C8 type torch which means not only will it get hot very fast but explains all the artifacts in the beam output. If you're going to use something like an XHP90 LED you're going to need a bigger head / reflector and one that is heavily OP'd in order to cover up all the artifacts and die impressions....which of course ends up limiting the throw somewhat.

When I run the price conversion google tells me it's about $18.40 USD for the cheapest package ( not including shipping ). I was going to say I would never buy something like this but for the price...ehhh...might make for a fun toy when off the bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Cat if youíre getting the product description in Russian you need to change the language/country on AI back to English/USD from the menu bar top right. Dunno why this gets screwed up so often but Iíve been lucky enough to get the English page pretty consistently now since the last time I had to fiddle with the setting.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Cat if youíre getting the product description in Russian you need to change the language/country on AI back to English/USD from the menu bar top right. Dunno why this gets screwed up so often but Iíve been lucky enough to get the English page pretty consistently now since the last time I had to fiddle with the setting.

Good luck!
    Yeah, couldn't change it from the link and I looked everywhere on that link.
    Finally had to go to Google to do a search. Thought I had the English version but it took a couple tries because I was still seeing some Russian. Finally got the product description and everything else in English except the price...which was still in Russian.

Looking at the product description, I certainly wouldn't buy one. Lousy three flash modes in the U.I. and they don't even tell you how bright it is or how bright the modes are.

Personally I found a torch earlier this week I think might make an excellent bar torch for MTB'n. Thing is I can't tell you which one that is because I don't have the money to buy one right now ( this one is not cheap ) and I don't want to start a run on a particular torch and then when I get the money they run out of stock. ( because that is what happens when something becomes popular and yes the one I want is already out of stock at the moment. I don't need it till spring anyway but I want one by end of April. )

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Cat, what are the particular features youíre looking for in a bar-mount flashlight ó Color Temp/Lumens/Beam pattern/Cell size/USB rechargeable?

Am actually quite happy with all four pairs of flashlights recently acquired for my recumbent mountain cargo bike. Sofirn SP36 BLF 5000K 90 CRI probably the best right out of the box: Even though SamsungĎs LH351D may not be the most efficient emitter, the four grouped together within individual reflectors have terrific throw, projecting a tight cloverleaf shaped hotspot ó which does look kinda unusual but not really unattractive. And absolutely NO tint shift so doesnít require applications of d-c-fix or any of the diffusing lenses I had to stick on to my other thee pairs of flashlights. Also like that the USB Type C port is on the opposite side of the barrel from the switch, makes for a neat cable run when attached to a power bank.

Aside from that, basic problem is the three cell jobbies all require extra large mounts that weigh as much as the lights themselves. Single cell 26650 being highest capacity in a lamp body that will fit in those lightweight swivel clamps you found for me; just ordered another pair of those along with the Astrolux MF01 Mini 7* SST20 5500LM CRI95 USB Type-C 26650 in clear anodized aluminum to complement my bike frame, fork and components. Currently on sale both at BG and AE ó probably because thereís a thermal design flaw with that light, didnít find out about it until a day later when it had already shipped, of course. Fortunately for me a member of BLF was still offering his Copper Heatsink Cover Plate so got in on that deal too.

Anyway, it was while I was doing a search for NW 26650 flashlights that this Pocketman turned up, though IIRC found it first under some Chinese brand name that escapes me now. There are a bunch of such lights that advertise XHP90, which could be anything since they donít specify CREE, yech. Notice too that they seem only to be available with EU charging plugs; think that Chinese branded one only shipped there and not to the States, while the Pocketman does.

mtbr member
    May I show you something ? .

Is this a joke?!-cateye_hl-el340_beamshot_1.jpg

This is catalogue photo of a 2011 CatEye HL-EL340 2xAA abut 25 lumens bike lamp. Can you see any similarities on those photos ?

mtbr member
    Cat, what are the particular features youíre looking for in a bar-mount flashlight ó Color Temp/Lumens/Beam pattern/Cell size/USB rechargeable?
    In answer to some of your questions I'll only say I want something in the NW 4000-4500K range. I'm steering away from anything using a NW SST20 as I've heard that those tend to output a greenish tint if used on lower output levels. I've tested my bar torch holder with a torch that uses a 21700 cell and that size works fine. Anything larger and it would be too big for the holder. Output should be over 1.5K lumen when on boost although I'll likely run it in the 400-500 lumen range most of the time. Not going to say anymore since I already think I know what I want ( although the jury is still out as there might be thermal issues involved with the one I'm currently favoring ).

Some years back I retrofitted a cheap Banggood Convoy S3 with a NW Cree emitter. It was a while back so it's probably only an XML T6. Turned out the tint was perfect although I forget now what Kelvin range it was in. The S3 I bought had a shorter OP reflector which actually produces a fairly wide beam pattern. While it makes a great backup NW bike light for MTB bar use I'm really spoiled by the beam pattern I get when I use the Raveman products but all of those use bright white emitters.

On a side note I did something interesting tonight. I managed to retrofit my old Wiz-1 ( 26650 version ) with the optics out of one of my older Raveman CR lamps. Surprisingly I got it to work although in the process I managed to accidentally de-dome the emitter in the Wiz-1. Beam pattern now looks like the Ravemans ( Woo-Hoo!! ) ...But losing the dome has made the output tint more greener. The Wiz-1 series originally came with a NW Cree emitter although it did have a slight green tint on lower output level even when new. Wasn't a big issue back then but sadly I think losing the dome made it greener which is now an issue.

I may just have to order me a new emitter, likely something like a Cree XPL or XPL HI, NW-4000K. Of course my DIY skills tend to suck so not sure I'd be able to successfully replace the emitter board on the Wiz-1. If I succeed though I'll have a wonderfully wide NW bar lamp ( with cut-off ) that uses a replaceable 26650 cell and I already own some good Gopro mounts which is what the Wiz-1 was built to use. All I need now is a new emitter and some luck. If this works I won't need anything else for the bars.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Cat, itís the just the SST20 5000K+ emitters that have that greenish tint in lower settings. The 4000K CRI 95 Sofirn SC31B has the best NW of any light Iíve ever owned, from Turbo on down to Low. Only thing is, that little 18650 model isnít too bright (sorta like me!) and its reflector produces a very spotty beam (though without any tint shift). Couldnít get the bezel off so was only able to apply d-c-fix to the outside of the cover glass, not an ideal solution.

Turbo

SofirnSC31B SST20 1000lm 4000K d-c-fix ďMilkyĒ
    by andyXchrist, on Flickr

Mid Level

SofirnSC31B SST20 1000lm 4000K d-c-fix ďMilkyĒ

Anyhow youíd still be right to steer clear of any flashlights featuring multiple configurations of that emitter behind TIR lenses, as it seems all such models currently on the market are severely lacking in thermal transfer and quickly step down from both Turbo and their highest ramping modes so are no good over about 1000lm.

Also, those swivel clamp holders will accommodate up to a 26650 sized flashlight, you just have to open the channel lock to the widest groove and omit the thicker shims (the two thinner ones will fit but are not strictly needed.) Iíve got my two Sofirn SP33 V3.0 flashlights mounted to my bikeís fork this way.

RANS Stratus XPC T-Cycles WREX Fairing WRNS Style Mounts on Brake Bosses

QR levers have to be spun almost all the way off the bolts to open or close the clamps around the lamp body but not much of an issue if the flashlight is going to remain mounted all the time. Because of the 360ļ on-the-fly rotation itís easy to slide the battery in and out to recharge (if you canít bring the whole bike into a heated area indoors and fire up over a built-in USB C port).

Yeah I also noticed a slight green tint to all my Ituo lights. Too bad about that undesirable aspect of your de-doming incident. Fortunately though thereís a member on BLF who sells Smaller size sheets of Lee Filters, perhaps one of those might correct for the stronger greenish tint your Wiz-1 is now rocking ó you could PM him to find out which number filter to select before ordering. Certainly a potentially cheaper and easier fix than re-soldering a whole new emitter!

mtbr member
    My experience with the SST20 emitter (4000K) is limited to one of the two Astrolux HL01's I recently purchased and so far hasn't been very good. Tint is fine but produces only slightly more than half the lumen output of it's similar XP-L (5000K) equipped sibling so efficiency seems pretty poor.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yeah Mole like I said the SST20 4000K is about as dim as I am.

But the HL01 has it in a reflector, wonder if it might perform better under a TIR? Fírinstance, Sofirn SP33 V3.0 I modded with KDís 5ļ PMMA Optical Lens seems noticeably brighter than the same flashlight with factory default OP reflector. Really weird thing is that with d-c-fix applied to cover glasses on both, the modded Sofirn has a bluer hotspot and yellowish corona, while the original reflector has a more neutral appearing hotspot and bluish corona.

Anyway the pair of Astolux MF01 Mini 7* SST20 5500LM 4000K CRI95 Type-C Rechargeable flashlights I ordered cleared Customs and should be delivered before end of this week, so will report then.

mtbr member
    Anyway the pair of Astolux MF01 Mini 7* SST20 5500LM 4000K CRI95 Type-C Rechargeable flashlights I ordered cleared Customs and should be delivered before end of this week, so will report then.
    Oh Boy, new toys! I also got a Convoy S2+ SST40 with the HL01's and that light seems to make better use of an 18650 than either of the HL's. Very good throw on that one.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Mole what do you think of the color out of that Convoy? Flashaholics video it looked greenish to me even on the highest settings.

BTW my Astrolux MF01 Mini is already out for delivery, and I only ordered it from AE ten days ago, woo hoo!

mtbr member
    Mole what do you think of the color out of that Convoy? Flashaholics video it looked greenish to me even on the highest settings.

BTW my Astrolux MF01 Mini is already out for delivery, and I only ordered it from AE ten days ago, woo hoo!
    Just shining some of my flashlights on the wall if the Convoy has a greenish tint it certainly isn't obvious. So far pretty happy with this light!
    Mole

mtbr member

A/C...Let me know what you think of the Astrolux MF01 mini when you get it. I might consider it if it doesn't have a heavy greenish tint. I would however have to buy a different holder since it is designed to use 26650 but holders are cheap so no big problem there. What is the emitter you are getting in this...NW?....What Kelvin rating?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Cat itís the Astrolux MF01 Mini 7* SST20 5500LM 4000K CRI95 Type-C

Should fit the same 360į rotation flashlight mounts you recommended for my Sofirn SP33.

But thereís currently a design flaw in the Mini so thermal transfer is terribly poor and flashlight cannot put out more than ~1000 lumens without stepping down right away.

https://youtu.be/ooB2bgcqcwo

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Astrolux MF01 Mini CRI 95 4000K USB C

Here ya go Cat.

mtbr member
    Cat itís the Astrolux MF01 Mini 7* SST20 5500LM 4000K CRI95 Type-C

Should fit the same 360į rotation flashlight mounts you recommended for my Sofirn SP33.

But thereís currently a design flaw in the Mini so thermal transfer is terribly poor and flashlight cannot put out more than ~1000 lumens without stepping down right away.

https://youtu.be/ooB2bgcqcwo
    The MF01 is on my "maybe" list. Yes, I already know about the thermal issues but for me would most likely not come into play as I have no plans to run it at more than 1000 lumen. For me the issue is beam tint at lower outputs and beam width with still a good bit of throw.

Beam width looks about right ( after viewing on Youtube ) and it seems you can program the UI for various steps. Now if you can program the actual output per step that would be sweet.

I know this is going to sound like I'm paranoid but if I order a new torch the first thing I'll do when I get it is likely wash it with a disinfectant...and then rinse it with boiling water. If these are made in China I want to make sure it has no bugs on it ....if you catch my drift.

A/C, looks like you got yours pretty fast. Where did you order yours from?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Cat I linked to it most recently again in post 16:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Astr...156465746.html

It canĎt run Turbo for more than a split second even outside in the bitter cold with a fierce wind. But steps down to a reasonable level thatís fine for me, seeing as Iíve got a pair of them on my bikeís fork (and three more pairs of flashlights plus a BL70S on its chopper bars...)

Not going to bother programming the Mini until Iíve received and installed Man of Lightís copper heatsink, and this third batch isnít even shipping until the end of the month. Plus heís sending them Registered so that will tack like a week or two extra onto delivery window.

Oh and check this out, you might find it helpful if you do order the MF01 Mini. I wouldnít worry about biological bugs in shipments from China, viri canít survive long outside their host. OTOH all those manufacturing bugs really do make me sick.

Probably wonít be able to grab any outdoor beam shots very soon, my touch screen gloves donít work too well in the cold. Hoping for the weekend, supposed to warm up then.