Ituo Wiz20 as a commuter light question- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Guidosan
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    34

    Ituo Wiz20 as a commuter light question

    I have been commuting with the Light & Motion Urban 700 but due to my commute time, I need to recharge when I get to work and when I get home at night. So I bought the Wiz20 hoping I can run on the medium setting (800 lumens) and just recharge every couple of days. What I find is that the Wiz20 has a yellowish tint and it doesn't seem to be as bright as the Light & Motion. For example when I run the L&M at 700 lumens, it appears to be brighter than the Wiz20 at 800 lumens. Likewise, the L&M at 350 lumens is much better than the Wiz20 at 250. I know it's 100 lumen difference, but the 250 from the Wiz20 is totally useless to see with on the streets.
    I am wondering if this is a matter of me just getting used to the softer light output or if I can/should try to change the optics of the Wiz20. Not sure where to go from here and hoping anybody commuting with a Wiz20 can advise.
    Thanks

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dominik.M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    178
    I'm using Wiz20 as a commuter light in lowest setting sometimes in medium mode. The issue that you are having in comparison with L&M is real lumen output difference. Actual values for WIZ20 are as follows :
    LOW - 213 lumens
    MID : 597 lumens
    HIGH : 1216 lumens
    low before off : 80 lumens

    That's why there is such a big difference between 350 lumens from L&M and "250" from Wiz20. LOW from WIZ20 is good enough for backroads, but for city ride, you will have to use 500 lumens.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MRMOLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,274
    I use lights with both cool and neutral white and even though I prefer NW overall at lower output levels I like CW better. I don't have access to a L&M Urban but I did watch a few Youtube videos and from what I could see it looks like the beam of the Urban is narrower than the Wiz20 which would also account for a dimmer appearance at equal output levels. These two things are probably responsible for the issues your having and unfortunately NW my not have been the best fit for how your using the light. Since the preset levels are programmable on the Ituo light I would experiment with the settings until you find one that works. It doesn't sound like your going to quite get the extended range you were hoping for but it's worth a try to see what you get. The Wiz20 is one of my favorite lights so I can't imagine not being able to find a light level you'll be happy with but if that's the case in the end you could always consider getting the emitters swapped to CW.
    Mole

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MRMOLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,274
    Quote Originally Posted by guidosan View Post
    I have been commuting with the Light & Motion Urban 700 but due to my commute time, I need to recharge when I get to work and when I get home at night. So I bought the Wiz20 hoping I can run on the medium setting (800 lumens) and just recharge every couple of days. What I find is that the Wiz20 has a yellowish tint and it doesn't seem to be as bright as the Light & Motion. For example when I run the L&M at 700 lumens, it appears to be brighter than the Wiz20 at 800 lumens. Likewise, the L&M at 350 lumens is much better than the Wiz20 at 250. I know it's 100 lumen difference, but the 250 from the Wiz20 is totally useless to see with on the streets.
    I am wondering if this is a matter of me just getting used to the softer light output or if I can/should try to change the optics of the Wiz20. Not sure where to go from here and hoping anybody commuting with a Wiz20 can advise.
    Thanks
    Curious to hear some more input from you on how it's going with the Wiz20. I took mine out along with my Ion 1300 last night to do a little side by side comparison but basically came away thinking riding with these lights was a similar experience in spite of the tint difference. I did 30 mi. of surface streets, crushed granite canal banks and a little dirt to try to cover how they worked on different surfaces. Dirt was a pretty tame 2 mi. section that I did once with each light and did preferr the Wiz there. On the streets and canal banks I would run both lights in high/med./low together and just cover up one and then the other. In low I preferred the Ion and the upper 2 modes I liked the Wiz better but to be honest the differences were pretty minor. When I got home I checked the Wiz to see how I had the programming set which was 30/70/100%. Doing bounce tests on the lights about a 10% lux advantage for the Wiz in low and med. and almost identical max. readings (real workd the Wiz looks stronger in high though). Both these lights have similar beam width and throw which may not be the case with your Urban. Hopefully your getting the light dialed in to fit your needs better. Also hopefully it's not a case where Ituo had cheapened its build components and the lights aren't what they used to be (would the Chinese do that?).
    Mole

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,014
    Quote Originally Posted by guidosan View Post
    ....What I find is that the Wiz20 has a yellowish tint and it doesn't seem to be as bright as the Light & Motion. For example when I run the L&M at 700 lumens, it appears to be brighter than the Wiz20 at 800 lumens. Likewise, the L&M at 350 lumens is much better than the Wiz20 at 250. I know it's 100 lumen difference, but the 250 from the Wiz20 is totally useless to see with on the streets.
    I am wondering if this is a matter of me just getting used to the softer light output or if I can/should try to change the optics of the Wiz20. Not sure where to go from here and hoping anybody commuting with a Wiz20 can advise.
    Thanks
    First off, you are comparing apples to oranges. The Urban 700 is using a reflector with single emitter and the Wiz20 uses optics with dual emitters. Lamps with reflectors tend to have better forward throw but narrower beam patterns. Dual emitter lamps with optics usually have wider, smoother beam patterns. In this case there is also the tint issue. Personally I prefer lamps with wider beam patterns with at least 100 ft. of throw when on the road. I also prefer CW over NW for road use but for me, beam pattern is the main issue. I have a Wiz*1 ( 26650 version ) that is NW and uses a reflector. I find it has great throw even when used on the medium output level. Downside is the beam pattern is more narrow than I like but if you aren't riding roads or paths that are twisty the Wiz-1 would make a fantastic commuting lamp. ( Not to mention 26650 batteries can be bought now that are in the 5000mAh range ) Wiz-1 has built in USB recharge-ability. ( *Note, you can use 18650 cells with the 26650 version, you just have to make or use an adapter. I've done this and it works fine. Easy to swap cells with the Wiz-1, no problems )

    Summing up, if you'd had compared the Wiz-1 to the Urban 700 I don't think tint would of been an issue. Wiz -1 on high ( ~ 800-900 lumen ) has some great throw when on high.

  6. #6
    Guidosan
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    34
    MRMole:
    Thanks for checking in on me. I played with the settings and cannot get anything that I like. Just canít seem to get the intensity that I need. Wondering if part of the issue is that I am using this light on the street as I commute. Not sure if the warm (yellow) color temperature is better for giving contrast on the dirt, but makes everything dull on the grey tarmac of the streets of Los Angeles.

    Cat-man-do:
    Thanks for your thoughts. Agree that the throw is different from the two lights. I have been hoping I would get used to the Wiz20, but still prefer the Urban. As you pointed out, that being a dual emitter, the beam pattern may just be too wide and smooth for me to get used to.

    I will take a look at the Wiz-1 as well.

    Thanks again everybody.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MRMOLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,274
    Quote Originally Posted by guidosan View Post
    MRMole:
    Thanks for checking in on me. I played with the settings and cannot get anything that I like. Just canít seem to get the intensity that I need. Wondering if part of the issue is that I am using this light on the street as I commute. Not sure if the warm (yellow) color temperature is better for giving contrast on the dirt, but makes everything dull on the grey tarmac of the streets of Los Angeles.

    Cat-man-do:
    Thanks for your thoughts. Agree that the throw is different from the two lights. I have been hoping I would get used to the Wiz20, but still prefer the Urban. As you pointed out, that being a dual emitter, the beam pattern may just be too wide and smooth for me to get used to.

    I will take a look at the Wiz-1 as well.

    Thanks again everybody.
    Well that sucks!!! I'm still having a hard time understanding how a light with around twice the output couldn't be adjusted to compensate for the wider/smoother beam and warmer tint but I don't have an Urban 700 for comparison. Do you have access to a light meter? If you do I'd love to see a maximum LUX reading on each light @ say 10 feet or anything I could easily reproduce. If not no big deal, what matters in the end is the Wiz20 didn't work for you. So what are your plans now? Are you just going to continue to use the Urban 700, get the Wiz20 converted to cool white or look for a different light?
    Mole

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dominik.M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    178
    I might have an answer to that question...

    Ituo Wiz20 as a commuter light question-80lux-vs-800lumens.jpg

    80 lux (270 lumens measured) vs 800 (600 lumens measured)

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MRMOLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,274
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominik.M View Post
    I might have an answer to that question...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	80lux-vs-800lumens.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	124.1 KB 
ID:	1226874

    80 lux (270 lumens measured) vs 800 (600 lumens measured)
    I don't have access to a Urban 700 but am guessing its beam pattern is far closer to the 10 degree optics that come stock with the Wiz20. Not much wasted light with that Saferide!
    Mole

  10. #10
    Guidosan
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    34
    I don't have a light meter, if not too expensive I may consider getting one just to play with. I might look around to see if I can rent one from a camera shop. If so, I 'll ask for the best way to do this.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,014
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    Well that sucks!!! I'm still having a hard time understanding how a light with around twice the output couldn't be adjusted to compensate for the wider/smoother beam and warmer tint but I don't have an Urban 700 for comparison....
    I have to agree. I find it hard to believe that the output from the Wiz-20 just wasn't enough but then again I don't own one. Sounds like our man guido might prefer something like one of the Gloworm CX series ( Urban or MTB version ) The 900 Urban ( Daylight version ) should be a bit brighter than the L & M Urban 700, have longer run times and a wider beam pattern to boot. Gloworm's Cool white emitter tints have always been a winner, nice bright white with no blue overtones.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MRMOLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,274
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    I have to agree. I find it hard to believe that the output from the Wiz-20 just wasn't enough but then again I don't own one. Sounds like our man guido might prefer something like one of the Gloworm CX series ( Urban or MTB version ) The 900 Urban ( Daylight version ) should be a bit brighter than the L & M Urban 700, have longer run times and a wider beam pattern to boot. Gloworm's Cool white emitter tints have always been a winner, nice bright white with no blue overtones.
    I'm quite sure your correct from his comments the old 900 Urban (Daylight) or especially the 2019 1200 version with it's extra output and larger battery capacity would be a better fit for him. Both of those lights use the XPG3 emitters that provide a narrower more intense beam. My 1200 should have been in the mail today but looks like I have to wait till tomorrow. Will be posting impressions in the Gloworm thread and have high expectations based on my Alpha experiences.
    Mole

Similar Threads

  1. ITUO Wiz20 - 1500 Lumen Rechargeable LED Bike Light
    By Brooks04 in forum Classifieds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-17-2017, 07:39 AM
  2. Ituo Wiz20 Light Mount
    By prj71 in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 117
    Last Post: 09-25-2017, 12:28 PM
  3. User Review 2: ITUO Wiz20 bike light
    By Skyraider59 in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 07-30-2016, 11:31 PM
  4. User 2 REVIEW - ITUO WIZ20 twin xm-l2 u3 1500 lumens wireless bike light
    By Skyraider59 in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-13-2015, 10:41 AM
  5. ITUO Wiz20 Which Design Do You Prefer (Programmable, USB Rechargeable)
    By ITUO Manufacturer in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 11-18-2015, 01:49 PM

Members who have read this thread: 6

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.