Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Hi Emailed my Ituo contact yesterday to find out how their new WIZ XP3 is coming on, and I have been informed that they are hopping to have samples mid March and production/retail end of April. I have also raised the question if the Head will be available without a battery pack and yes it will be for sale with and without a battery pack. Real good news for a lot of us on this forum as we all have multitudes of battery packs. BEWARE, what ever pack you use will have to be made of quality cells
    for example the fluxient 4 cells 4400, the gw 4 cells 5800, and the CB SEEN 2 removable cell with two pluzpower 3200 cell are working ok on high (probably for not very long with the two cells, this also wisle at you quite happily :-) ) but with CB SEEN 4 cells battery pack 4400mAh, as soon as you put the light on high, the light turn off, I suspect this will be the same with most of e-bays battery packs.

RAKC
    The reason they shut off when you go to high is the light draws more than the protection circuit is capable of.

Most companies are making note of the battery packs mainly because of the liability. The cheap packs are high risk for many reasons and IMO need to be banned unless they meet proper regulations.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Guys I have received one of the US bay seller amp/volt meter.They are talking about calibrating the meter, for those who have done it, can you help a little as I do not want to blow anything up.

Do I need to do it on this one?

and do you short all together PLUS, MINUS AND GROUND, don't sound right to me???? ITUO WIZ XP3 Triple XM- L2 U3 bike light-contraption.jpg

DC 0 30V 0 10A Red Blue Dual LED Digital Voltmeter Ammeter Voltage | eBay

RAKC
    Never used that one. The one I have has pots in the back to adjust current and voltage calibration, just used my DMM. Then turn the pots slightly to get the readings correct.

The picture you show has clear instructions, just follow them closely and you should be fine.

mtbr member
    Mine didn't require calibration. I just simply compared the readings on the display to my own digital meter. I doubt you have the accurate 10.0v source to calibrate with anyway.

-Garry
    "My Bike Lights" Thread on BLF teardowns, measurements, and beamshots. Moving my photos, PM or post up if you can't see them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by garrybunk View Post
    Mine didn't require calibration. I just simply compared the readings on the display to my own digital meter. I doubt you have the accurate 10.0v source to calibrate with anyway.

-Garry
    Tried it without their calibration instruction and got the same reading as the work DMM, SO HAPPY WITH THIS!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Any word on pricing Sky? I've been wanting to jump on one of the Gloworm XS deals on Action LED but the Wiz XP3 seems to be a good contender. If the pricing is similar/better, I want to see how they match up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Yeah I'm holding off on the xs gloworm as well. The x2 just kicks ass on performance. But... I am open to this one at a good price. I got a brand new panny 4cell for a triple flamethrower! and a 2 cell from KD for my x2. Getting kinda pricey coming from my beloved bt21,bt40! Lol.

RAKC
    Well, can't give you price details on this light (don't think they have a set price for the XP series yet) but I CAN TELL YOU:

Ituo will have a US location with full sales support including warranty service for all their products. Only detail I know is this:https://www.ituolights.com/
    Last edited by tigris99; 03-12-2016 at 10:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Back on the trails last Friday after a 3 months brake due to bad health. I had to try the XP3 on a proper forest ride. Unfortunately I took the wrong mount for my bar light so ended up going out with just the untested XP3 on my lid. Not the kind of thing I like to do , if this decided to pack up , I will be left in the dark, not a pleasant thought! Anyway I should be OK as I tested the XP3 at home under a cooling fan , and this was good for over an hour on full power. Half of our ride was done in falling daylight, the rest on full power until the light decided to go into safe mode about 20mn in its run. Not good, but after all, THIS IS A PROTOTYPE, and Ituo had warn me a few weeks ago that the light was still under development as they were not that happy with the electrics. I can confirm this now :-). Apart from that, the light was great , having just one light, the beam angle had to be adjusted carefully to get a good compromise between having enough light at the front of my bike but still giving me enough throw to see the trail in the far distance. When the light went in safe mode I was filming, you will see the result , luckily I was not going fast and was reaching the end of the trail I was riding. Again the harsh hot spot seen in the film is not seen by the human eyes, the beam is a lot more gradual.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    That's a pretty brutal stepdown. You didn't seem to be going that fast, maybe you just weren't going fast enough to justify a high setting. I think they need to increase the amount of surface area. Maybe the cooling fins just aren't big enough to remove the amount of heat generated, especially at lower speeds. That was always going to be the trouble with a hard-driven triple led light.

What happens after it steps down, does it recover and go back up to high?

RAKC
    ya that step down is too much. Shouldnt step below 50%, that was brutal.

But that said you were going WAY too slow to be using max output. Not many lights are going to deal well with that. Small lights with high output need air moving to cool. Low speed at max power its going to step down rather easily. 20 minutes in at those speeds though really isnt bad.

Hopefully they are taking our advise, moving the logo to the back of the light and using that area for more fins and going with deeper fins as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    More details on what happened with the XP3 prototype. Firstly, conditions were very wet that day , it had been raining all day until start of the ride, so you are right, I was not going fast, this also happen a few yards just before the end of that trail. Being a prototype I wanted to put it through it paces, the light also is supposed to have a thermal protection circuit which should decrease output until the light cool down a little and output should increase again. Under my DIY "lab" (spare room) :-) this did appear to work, as soon as an electric fan was turned on next to the light, the decreasing output stopped and started to increase again after about 5mn..

That night the light had been turned on on full power, the down hill ride took 23 mn which included 20m moving time, the other 3mn where spent stopping and waiting for the other rider, (about 30s approx at a time), during that time the light was checked by hand and despite the fact this was very hot, this was not considered critical. One of my first feedback to Ituo when I first had it, was the lack of cooling fins and specially their depth. The inside of the light I think is good has they have a full integral divider cast wall between the MCPB with the LEDs and the back circuit board, with just a small hole to let the wires through, so they would be a good heat transfer, I think the problem is as mentioned, not enough cooling surface on the body. The Recovery was very slow and no good as even after the light being turned for 10mn , I could still only get safe mode about 60/70 lumens. I thought I had damaged it until the next day when I tried it and it came up with its normal full output of around 2400 lumens. Glad I did not damage it. Guys don't be harsh on the light, as mentioned before, a while back I asked them how their XP3 was coming on and I was told that they were still working on it, specially the electrics. Looking at their WIZ 1,2 and 20, I have no doubt that will crack it and give us a good triple LED. Really nice to be able to test a prototype and be able to find its weakness.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Can't wait to see the preproduction samples. Good work putting the prototype thru real world testing. Seems as though Ituo is quick to implement changes to improve their lights.
    I'm definitely guilty of occasionally not turning down my lights as speed decreases.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    subscribed, nice to see the "match" between this one and the other one which is under developing! (from Gearbest i think)
    ..just ride...

RAKC
    Be a while before the match up happens, a long while. I won't see one till they go into production most likely at which point I'll have to buy one for the sake of all this "science" lol.

I don't expect much from that custom one though. Decent output and better than any other cheap light (except no way they could produce a light that compares to branded lights and holds up for the long term in off road conditions. Parts costs to meet those demands for long term durability are much higher)

I am looking forward to the light but this xp3 will be my primary light for a long time. When Ituo comes out with something better which will be hard to beat this thing. This on the lid, xp2 on wide optics on the bars and I'm golden to ride as fast as I want on any trail I want.

BrightBikeLights
    Sep 2015
    Hi, Just wanted to say that the ITUO Wiz-XP2 and Wiz-XP3 are now available in the UK. BrightBikeLights.com are the UK supplier - and stock is in the UK now. I see a lot of lights and in my opinion ITUO are by a long way the best up-coming supplier on the market.

BrightBikeLights
    Sep 2015
    Hi, Just wanted to say that the ITUO Wiz-XP2 and Wiz-XP3 are now available in the UK. BrightBikeLights.com are the UK supplier - and stock is in the UK now. I see a lot of lights and in my opinion ITUO are by a long way the best up-coming supplier on the market.

Sorry for accidental duplicate posting

Light freak
    TrevorJackson - I am curious, what makes you a bike light expert as it says in your signature?

Looks to me like your signature should say "I work for BrightBikeLights.com". You have made 3 posts on MTBR and all three are advertising BrightBikeLights.com?

BrightBikeLights
    Sep 2015
    I don't make any secret of the fact - I run the website BrightBikeLights.com. I have been working with ITUO, as have many others, in providing feedback on their light designs. My honest opinion is that they have excellent products and it is refreshing to see such well produced lights. I don't think making forum users aware of where they are available is bad, is it ?. BrightBikeLights are the UK online supplier for the ITUO range.

RAKC
    I understand wanting to let ppl know, good info.

I'm with scar though, bike light expert????? A lot of us here have a lot of time involved in testing and such. Some like me, mole, Garry and so on have equipment, others like Cat and mole having been testing for more years than I can try to sort out. Scar builds awesome lights DIY style. And none of us use that signature.

Last edited by tigris99; 09-01-2016 at 11:58 AM.

BrightBikeLights
    Sep 2015
    I take your point. And I absolutely respect the level of knowledge, expertise and investment shown by people in this forum, in relation to ITUO and other lights. I've changed my profile to 'BrightBikeLights'.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12