Ituo WIZ XP3 for commuting- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2005

Ituo WIZ XP3 for commuting

Hi there

i commute 4 times a week for about 25 miles one way with my road bike. The biggest part of the route leads over unlit areas (forest, country roads without illumination etc.) the rest through small villages and the final part through the city where i work. I have a Ituo WIZ XP3 light with the stock 10 degree optics that I use normally for my mountainbike night rides. I wonder if I could use the Ituo light for commuting, but I am afraid that it will blind oncoming traffic too much. I am aware that the Ituo is not a dedicated road light with no cutoff beam but I wonder if ther are there any other optics I could use in this light to make it a bit more oncoming traffic friendly. Thanky for any suggestions.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    That light is bright as hell, and I wonder how badly I am blinding traffic when my route parallels oncoming freeway traffic for about a quarter mile while i get to the trail. The one thought I did have is that the light is fully programmable so you could program the lowest setting to 10-30% ish when facing oncoming traffic. You could also change out two of the lenses for floods vs spots (check the thread linked below) but you would sacrifice some long range throw. Or run a two light set up (I have an XP2 on the helmet with floods lenses and an XP3 on the helmet).

https://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night...2-1012545.html

mtbr member
    If you can't afford a good commuting lamp with cut-off optic then I would recommend doing what Horseshoe said and just program the low mode to an acceptable low output then use the brighter modes when no vehicles are around.

Now if you can afford a new commuter lamp you might consider the newest Raveman PR-1600. Comes with two button wireless remote, has a cut-off optic over one of the emitters and since it has two self contained 3000mAh batteries it should be able to get you the 25 miles you have to ride without too much problem. ( * Sorry but I do tend to stump for Raveman a lot since I have reviewed many of their commuting type lights. I got a few for free to review and I liked them so much I bought three with my own money. ) ( You can buy the Raveman lamps from Merlincycles which is located in the U.K. I've bought from them before and their shipping is quick and fast considering it's coming from across the pond )

While I'm at it, Amazon had the Raveman CR-900 on sale for a little over $50 USD. Not sure they still have them in stock but it is the lamp I use when on the road at night. If you buy one it should give you 2.5 hrs. run time on the second brightest ( 450 lm ) mode. .......just checked, Amazon has the new PR-1600 as well

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    I just throw in the Lumintop B01, has cutoff optics and goes for 32 USD at banggood. In two german forums the users who own the light are pretty happy with it, especially at that price. max steady mode is 450 (rated) lumens, turbo ((850 lm) only works for a certain time, but for sure long enough if you need i.e. more light because of a oncoming car.
    Does not have the perfect (StVZO) cut-off, but pretty good and way better than your Ituo light.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by biking_tg View Post
    I just throw in the Lumintop B01, has cutoff optics and goes for 32 USD at banggood. In two german forums the users who own the light are pretty happy with it, especially at that price. max steady mode is 450 (rated) lumens, turbo ((850 lm) only works for a certain time, but for sure long enough if you need i.e. more light because of a oncoming car.
    Does not have the perfect (StVZO) cut-off, but pretty good and way better than your Ituo light.
    I took a look at the review of the Lumintop B01 over on Budget light forum. Interesting but far from perfect. To my eyes there seems to be too much of a dark area between the low level light directly in front of the beam pattern and the brighter area that throws far ahead. The reviewer though didn't take the photos using the lamp mounted on a bike. That is very unfortunate. Quite possibly the beam pattern would of looked a bit better being mounted closer to the ground. The photos taken were with the person holding the lamp at arm level. Made no sense to me to take photos of a lamp holding at arm level when obviously the the lamp is designed to be used on a bike that rides on the road.

Regardless, the brighter forward portion of the beam pattern is quite narrow. This is why it appears to have such a bright forward throw. I'd love to see what the beam pattern looks like mounted on a bike and illuminating a typical two lane road. My guess though is that I'd still not like the dark area between the dimmer fore-light and brighter far-light. I'm tempted to buy one though just out of curiosity.

Last but not least; the listed run time difference between the Turbo ( 850 lumen ) and the high mode ( 450 lumen ) shows that there is only a 10 minute difference in run time between the two. Common sense tells you the Turbo mode must only maintain a higher output for no more than 10 minutes. No way are you going to get 850 lumen out of a 2600mAh 18650 battery and have it last for over two and a half hours. ( 2600mAh battery was used in the test ). In this sense the ad is somewhat deceiving.

Nice that it can use a 21700 battery, be replaceable on the fly and run on an external power bank but with that said, "A uniform and/or evenly tapered beam pattern is more important than anything else when it comes to a cut-off type commuter light".

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    ...Interesting but far from perfect. To my eyes there seems to be too much of a dark area between the low level light directly in front of the beam pattern and the brighter area that throws far ahead.
    Regardless, the brighter forward portion of the beam pattern is quite narrow. This is why it appears to have such a bright forward throw. I'd love to see what the beam pattern looks like mounted on a bike and illuminating a typical two lane road. My guess though is that I'd still not like the dark area between the dimmer fore-light and brighter far-light.
    One user in the (german) TLF (taschenlampen-forum.de, =flashlight-forum) complained about the darker arera, another said it's not there. Maybe there are slight differences from lamp to lamp, that happens even to B&M with their IQ-X(E)....
    Here is a photo of someone holding the light in a MUP in the woods, and in this post the last photo shows a white-wall shot, showing that the brightest spot is not at the top of the beam, where it should be with a good cut-off optic.

Also one user critisized the holder a bit. And it seems it only comes with a very weak and cheap 18650 battery, so one has to buy a proper 21700.

here is a more useful video, even in good english , light against a garage door shown from min 6:30. Here's a russian video, from min 22:00 you can see the B01 mounted on a (motor...)bike illuminating a harvested wheat field.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Last but not least; the listed run time difference between the Turbo ( 850 lumen ) and the high mode ( 450 lumen ) shows that there is only a 10 minute difference in run time between the two. ..... In this sense the ad is somewhat deceiving.
    I knew if cat is going to read my post, he won't be happy , if i don't provide more details on the turbo, but i was too lazy yesterday to search for it. The turbo mode is a timer controlled mode, which switches down after 3 min

For that price, the lamp is a suitable and good additional light for the OP for parts of his way where he risks to blind others.

Of course it's far from perfect, but even my SL-F is not perfect, nor the M99 Series, and both have roughly the tenfold price of the B01...
    Last edited by biking_tg; 10-09-2019 at 10:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by biking_tg View Post
    ....I knew if cat is going to read my post, he won't be happy , if i don't provide more details on the turbo, but i was too lazy yesterday to search for it. The turbo mode is a timer controlled mode, which switches down after 3 min

For that price, the lamp is a suitable and good additional light for the OP for parts of his way where he risks to blind others.

Of course it's far from perfect, but even my SL-F is not perfect, nor the M99 Series, and both have roughly the tenfold price of the B01...
    Okay, so turbo is not really a standard mode if it's using a timer but I suppose it could be usable for short downhills. I would rather though that it just used a thermal regulation circuit and taper the output if heat became an issue. Would be nicer if the turbo mode could at least hold at around 600 lumen after being tapered down by a thermal circuit. I can ride with 450 lumen but having the option for a stable / brighter steady mode is always a bit better.

I'm going to keep it on my watch list though. For the money it could still be worth buying. I already have a torch on the way from Banggood but with my current financial situation I have to stop throwing money away at stuff that I may only use once or twice and then end up packing away in a box. If I really liked what I saw from the photos I'd likely be buying it since I love the idea of a torch designed with cut-off optic and the fact that it uses a replaceable 21700 cell.

mtbr member
    While I agree with some of the recent posts that a good inexpensive cutoff beam light may be your best option if I wanted to convert my XP3 to a more road friendly setup I'd go with Gloworm wide angle elliptical optics. These aren't the best elliptical optics I've use for the road but only option I know of for the Ituo lights. Here's some shots of the beam pattern vs. stock spots. Wider beam works better (for me) aimed down to lessen the top spill for oncoming traffic.
    Mole

spots
    Ituo WIZ XP3 for commuting-008.jpg

GW optics
    Ituo WIZ XP3 for commuting-003.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I would do what Mole said. You already have a sweet light with power and long run time. Just change the optic to GW Wide and set low to 10%.
    Done.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Yajiamei optics offers quality lenses for ~ 0,30 $ each.

measure your size what you need"20mm, 21mm, 21,5mm......" and buy this types.

they make a a beam like this.

power then the light to 10%.....done.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lostplaces View Post
    Yajiamei optics offers quality lenses for ~ 0,30 $ each.

measure your size what you need"20mm, 21mm, 21,5mm......" and buy this types.

they make a a beam like this.

power then the light to 10%.....done.
    I will have to try those out! I've been using the Gloworm optics because I get the best performance and longest life out of them compared to the LEDDNA products which perform almost as good but lose about 10% efficiency (my testing) within a few use cycles. For the road friendly application I'd probably go with the 15 x 45 option of the optics you linked but they are so inexpensive I may try out the 20 x 60's too (would have preferred a 10 x 30 option). Thanks!
    Mole

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Yes from better known companys this Lenses are more expensive.
    https://www.ledsupply.com/led-optics...spot-led-optic

If you but to try out you can check the effizenz and post it in compare to your LEDDNA.

and check the table in the link below, ~10-15% losses are normal on this lens types.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lostplaces View Post
    , ~10-15% losses are normal on this lens types.
    I don't think we're on the same page here. It sounds like your referring to emitter output losses from the use of an optic to redirect the light which I understand is normal. What I'm talking about is output losses over a short period of time with use from material deterioration. LEDDNA loses about 10% after a few rides, Gloworm will eventually suffer the same fate but it takes a couple of yrs.
    Mole

Elitest thrill junkie
    My lights can never be bright enough for commuting. Thankfully we have the return-of-the-dark here in AK now and all morning commuting is in the dark, so people in cars turning while looking in the opposite direction they are driving will now notice me with my flashing lights(significantly more than before).
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Hi there

thanks to all of you who contributed in this thread. Sorry for getting that late back to you.

The Ravemen PR 1600 sounds interesting, especially as it has a remote. The Lumintop light seems to be a bargain, tough I have read mixed reviews about this ight (beam not really oncoming traffic friendly).
    Anyway, in the first post I forgot to mention that the Ituo WIZ XP3 will only be a temporary solution for my commuter bike. As soon as I have the funds I will switch to a dedicated road light (Lupine etc.). So therefore a cheap solution like switching the optics is something I really consider doing with the WIZ XP3. Should I switch all the three optics or just one or two? Right now, the light has the stock 10 degrees optics.