Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ituo Wiz XP3

RAKC
    Provided the rain stays away I'm gonna try something different with optics. I gave 2 of the wide spot and put a 45deg in the center. Looks to still have all the throw I need and then some, but smooths the spill out a bit more. See how I like it as I like more spill/wider coverage on the lid.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Ituo Wiz XP3-image.jpgHoly ship this looks good! Got the 25d optics factory installed. Thx Keith! Very little size diff between the xp3/gloworm xs. Like a kid at Xmas!!

mtbr member
    Rain was a b-itch today. Flash flooding all over the place. I might have to take a drive tomorrow to hill country if I want a ride. That's providing of course that more rain doesn't arrive tomorrow night and threaten to rain again on my parade. Good part is that at least I didn't lose out on a ride today because I had to work anyway. Crossing the fingers for Sunday.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    You probably got the company website for Ituo instead of the US location website. Gets confusing on Google search.
    Tidy little site:

https://www.ituolights.com/collectio...ts-accessories

I ordered the last Wiz20 package they had. I was going to order through Amazon, but Keith included a set of wide spot optics. Including some additional optics with the XP series would be a nice touch.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I have the 25d optics in, thinking I will install a flood optic in the middle channel. This xp3 is beast mode all the way. Short ride last nite, on the pathways. I think I blinded a couple fishermen. Oops sorry gents! The xp3 kit is well thought out and loving this light.

mtbr member
    I just checked the local weather for today and the rest of the week...>

Seems the monsoon season has arrived. If I get a ride tonight I'll be lucky. 3-5" in the last 72 hrs. depending on where I might choose to ride. Not looking good the rest of the week either....unless you're a duck

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    I just checked the local weather for today and the rest of the week...>

Seems the monsoon season has arrived. If I get a ride tonight I'll be lucky. 3-5" in the last 72 hrs. depending on where I might choose to ride. Not looking good the rest of the week either....unless you're a duck
    Play hooky from work jump on a plain,,,, i can show you all the trails around here, and there are no restrictions to night ride anywhere. Weather is sunny and not to hot.

mtbr member
    I got lucky and had very good weather for the MMP group ride (200+ riders). Unfortunately my diabetes got the best of me last night and after 18 mi., 6 Gu packs, 1 cliff bar and 6 Keibler fudge striped cookies I finally had to stop and just sit for 30 min. just to let my blood sugar come up to normal levels. Decided at that point I didn't have enough food to complete the ride so my friend George and I took a side trail (Bluff) that would get us back to the car in 4 mi. From where we were Bluff is a constant 3-4% downhill grade of smooth/fast/flowy/open trail and while my medical problems eliminated any reliable impressions of the XP3-helmet(stock spots)/XP2-bar(45 degree floods) set-up I was running the final 4 mi. of clarity proved to be fun and enlightening. XP3 is a fantastic helmet light!!! Trail conditions allowed speeds in the 20's and running the XP3 @ 70% I wasn't even coming close to out running the light. It wasn't just the throw but the very wide spot provided allowed for excellent trail awareness. Wish I wasn't so F/U'd for most of the ride but I still had fun, especially those last 4 mi.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I've gutted out rides & hikes on an empty stomach and didn't enjoy it; having to consult a glucometer sounds far worse. Glad you made the safe call, and had a friend along, too. If you do much solo riding out of cell coverage and think that might be a recurring problem, a PLB or SEND unit might be worth having.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Glad ya made it back MRMOLE! Don't be scratching my nice fatbike. It's a beaut!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flat View Post
    I've gutted out rides & hikes on an empty stomach and didn't enjoy it; having to consult a glucometer sounds far worse. .
    It's amazing what can you get used to. Luckily it doesn't happen too often. Thanks for your concern.
    Mole

mtbr member
    I've got the XP3 set up on the helmet ready go. Not sure where I'll ride because by the time it gets dark something is bound to pop-up. A slight shower came through an hour ago. Not much precip. ( 0.02" ), just enough to make things damp. I might have to keep things local so I can bail out if a storm comes my way. No telling though what trail conditions I'll see with the two inches we got yesterday. Regardless, I's GOT TO RIDE!

XP3 feels good on the lid. The button on the lamp is positioned perfectly for easy access ( if you're a righty ) Lefties might not be as pleased.

The Gopro adjustment knob/slots is kind'a tight. I was thinking some lube could help. Any recommendations on what kind of lube to use. I don't want something that will eat the plastic parts of the Gopro mount.

@MMole; I feel your pain. I've bonked terribly on some longer rides before. I can only imagine how bad a "diabetes induced" bonk can be ( not to mention how dangerous ). At least you weren't alone. When you're alone and bad stuff happens it can be REAL scary.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    I got lucky and had very good weather for the MMP group ride (200+ riders). Unfortunately my diabetes got the best of me last night and after 18 mi., 6 Gu packs, 1 cliff bar and 6 Keibler fudge striped cookies I finally had to stop and just sit for 30 min. just to let my blood sugar come up to normal levels. Decided at that point I didn't have enough food to complete the ride so my friend George and I took a side trail (Bluff) that would get us back to the car in 4 mi. From where we were Bluff is a constant 3-4% downhill grade of smooth/fast/flowy/open trail and while my medical problems eliminated any reliable impressions of the XP3-helmet(stock spots)/XP2-bar(45 degree floods) set-up I was running the final 4 mi. of clarity proved to be fun and enlightening. XP3 is a fantastic helmet light!!! Trail conditions allowed speeds in the 20's and running the XP3 @ 70% I wasn't even coming close to out running the light. It wasn't just the throw but the very wide spot provided allowed for excellent trail awareness. Wish I wasn't so F/U'd for most of the ride but I still had fun, especially those last 4 mi.
    Mole
    Anyone who has had a true bonk can maybe start to imagine what you must have gone through. Glad you made it out ok and enjoyed those last few miles. The XP3 is really sounding as good as eveyone had hoped.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Ituo Wiz XP3-image.jpg
    Mine is ready on the lid.

mtbr member
    Got a ride in tonight. Good news/Bad news. Good news is that the XP3 is an awesome light. My apologies for saying I didn't like the tint earlier. The tint seems fine once the beam gets some space to do it's thing. No complaints on tint. Beam pattern is perfect for helmet use. This could just very well be the most usable lamp I have but I'll wait till after I get some better rides in before I start saying anything like that.

The Bad news; The trails near me are in dire straits right now. The storm system that came through my area a couple days ago did way more trail damage than I could have imagined. The damage was almost akin to what happens when a hurricane comes through the area. ( thankfully we don't get many of those ). Sections of trail completely washed out by the flash flooding. Stream crossings that used to be easily rideable are now unrideable. After just 10 minutes into the ride I decided to cut it short and go back to the car. Nope, going to be a while before I get to ride the local trails again. Hopefully the local bike clubs will get together to do some fixes. I can only imagine what my regular trail ride is going to look like the next time I see it since it has a lot of hills and a lot of places where water can wash/erode things to the point of creating massive gaps. Not going to help that it is calling for rain almost everyday next week. At least I did get a chance to see the XP3 in action on the trails but not the way that I wanted to ( and not for very long.. )

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    To anyone who has bar mounted the XP3,,,,,are there any issues with the wired remote length for those with wider bars??

RAKC
    No, was mentioned either earlier here or in the xp2 thread. There is plenty of reach on the switch wire for about any bar width.

Last edited by tigris99; 08-01-2016 at 11:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Ok thanx tigris.

RAKC
    No problem, I should have mentioned it here (I can't find it here at all) too. That's one nice thing is I have 740mm bars and I could go a fair bit wider and have the wire still be long enough. I could almost see some that still run really narrow bars complaining about it because of the length.

@ Cat:. Man sorry to hear about your trails, thats pretty bad. Somehow most of the bad stuff that gets to you seems to narrowly miss me. Usually by 50 miles to the north or south, then a day or 2 later you get it.

Btw also seems they saw your mention of a discount for a bit longer. Price isnt as low as original preorder but still a pretty solid discount I think. And seems they extended it to the xp2 as well:
    https://www.ituolights.com/collections/mtb-light-kits

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Last night, midfat instead of my cx bike (I spend way too much time on cx). Had to branch off into some tight single track. Used low/med. This xp3 kicks azz on the lid. Keeps a very low profile with the helmet mount (put mine as forward as possible for branch clearance). The team involved with the xp3 development should be proud of this light. It's my new favorite along with the mighty gloworm xs. A wash between the 2 in my opinion, both are super powerful and quality units.

mtbr member
    Name:  1082385d1468652564t-ituo-wiz-xp2-005.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  63.0 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt View Post
    To anyone who has bar mounted the XP3,,,,,are there any issues with the wired remote length for those with wider bars??
    Here's a picture I posted in the XP2 thread compared to a (long wire version) Gloworm.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    It's very impressive how many things Ituo got right on these two new lights, clearly they have done research on what most of us look for in a good light, and to have executed it this well on their first production run,, wow!!

A friend of mine works for Canada post, so i'm trying to get the inside scoop to whats happening with the pending strike. If there is a window of two weeks of safety, i may order these ASAP.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    It's very impressive how many things Ituo got right on these two new lights, clearly they have done research on what most of us look for in a good light, and to have executed it this well on their first production run,, wow!!

A friend of mine works for Canada post, so i'm trying to get the inside scoop to whats happening with the pending strike. If there is a window of two weeks of safety, i may order these ASAP.
    Can you do the border two-step and pick up one from the U.S. distributor?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Can you do the border two-step and pick up one from the U.S. distributor?

Of coarse anything is possible, but considering i live a five hour round trip just to get to the border and about $50 in gas, it's not at the top of my list as these four sets of lights are not for me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Damn, I'm about to get a union job in the U.S. Just interviewed, hate the word strike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Of coarse anything is possible, but considering i live a five hour round trip just to get to the border and about $50 in gas, it's not at the top of my list as these four sets of lights are not for me.
    Oh well. Didn't know if you lived near the line.
    I'd avoid the southern border, too.

arc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Will Ituo sell directly to us Canadians or do we have to go through the Canadian distributor?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by arc View Post
    Will Ituo sell directly to us Canadians or do we have to go through the Canadian distributor?
    I'm unaware of a Canadian distributor? I believe the only option is to order from Ituo US using USPS and then Canada post takes over from there.

Yes there is a Canadian distributor K9 Outdoor Sports & Fat Bike Shop , but their website only shows Light & Motion.

RAKC
    The US location ships world wide I know that much (people were asking before about it, think in the wiz20 thread).

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by arc View Post
    Try contacting Keith - https://www.ituolights.com/pages/dealer

My order shipped the next business day, so he appears to be on top of things. My guess is he'll have some ideas on how best to get lights to Canada.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Try contacting Keith - https://www.ituolights.com/pages/dealer

My order shipped the next business day, so he appears to be on top of things. My guess is he'll have some ideas on how best to get lights to Canada.
    Just keep in mind that if not using USPS/Canada Post,,, and going the courier route your almost guarantied large duty fees and taxes on top of the exchange rate. Cost of the lights will be 50% higher when all is said and done. USPS/Canada Post not very often that i get stung.

arc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I'm unaware of a Canadian distributor? I believe the only option is to order from Ituo US using USPS and then Canada post takes over from there.

Yes there is a Canadian distributor K9 Outdoor Sports & Fat Bike Shop , but their website only shows Light & Motion.
    They had the Wiz 1 and 2 without batteries listed back in the spring, the price seemed pretty decent for this side of the border.

mtbr member

First good ride with the Wiz XP3

The hardest thing I had to do tonight was to decided "where" to ride. With much of the local trail systems near me in disarray from the massive flash flood that occurred several days ago I didn't want to go out and end up doing a lot of hike-a-bike/portaging over debris strewn trails. Not wanting to ride the trail I usually ride on weekends, I decided ( with a late start ) to ride a trail near my usual trail that I hadn't rode in a number of years.

Turns out it was a good choice. For one the hills were more moderate and there were long stretches of straight trail where I could really see how much distance throw the XP3 had.

First thing I noticed was how well the Wiz XP3 was doing in combo with the Gloworm X2 ( NW ) that I have on my bars. The beam tints seem to match completely. Right now I have the XP3 low mode set on the lowest possible setting. It amazed me that even on the lowest possible mode the lamp is quite bright and provides good throw. The mid and high modes I let stand at the standard default settings. The trail I was riding while quite nice still had a lot of loose rock in places which meant I had to keep my speed in check. The fact that I hadn't ridden the trail in some years also meant that I had no idea what was going to be around every turn. The XP3 was getting the job of letting me know what was coming up done very well.

Sadly and unexpectedly, midway into the ride I had to cut the ride short. Seems I had an unexpected visit from "The Dreaded Mid-ride *Super Bonk". In this case I think it was because my sleep patterns had gone awry which in turn caused my energy levels to take a sudden nose dive at a time when usually I'm full of "get-up-and-go". Also didn't help that I was getting a late start. Dang it I hate when stuff like that happens.

As I was returning to the car I even had to walk up a hill ( on a paved road ) that I usually just pedal up without a problem. Very embarrassing. My fault for staying up so late the previous night I guess and not eating till I was almost ready to leave the house. Anyway, it had me worried for a moment but by the time I was halfway back to the car the "Super bonk" effect had faded to "basic bonk" and I returned without any more problems.

(* to those who don't know what I mean by Super bonk; it's a bonk where you feel so tired you almost feel like you can't stand up. Very scary when you're alone back in the woods at night. )

Well, the Super Bonk took the joy out of the ride but at least I got the ride in ( not to mention that the rain stayed away ). The XP3 continues to impress me. Only two things keep this from being the perfect lamp. I wish it had a "wireless" remote and second, I wish turning the lamp off was more easier/faster. The current, "press/hold for 3-4 seconds while the lamp flashes, is a PITA. Even the Gloworms, which I also complain about for the same reason are faster/easier to turn off. Whatever the makers of the Wiz do for next year they need to fix that issue ASAP. ( A simple, press/hold one sec ( no flashes ) should **instantly turn the lamp off...**like what the Gemini lamps do. )

mtbr member
    Only two things keep this from being the perfect lamp. I wish it had a "wireless" remote and second, I wish turning the lamp off was more easier/faster. The current, "press/hold for 3-4 seconds while the lamp flashes, is a PITA. [/U]. )[/I]
    Never used a wireless remote so I don't know what I'm missing but I'm sure I'd like it. Good thing you don't own a Wiz20 or you'd be even more irritated by the turn off procedure. Still press and hold but 1 sec. to dim (no flash) and 2 sec to total off. Hope your next ride is bonk free.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    First thing I noticed was how well the Wiz XP3 was doing in combo with the Gloworm X2 ( NW ) that I have on my bars. The beam tints seem to match completely.
    I was happy to see that my Wiz20 and Light & Motion LEDs match well, too. I take that as another sign that Ituo is doing it right.

Question about the Bonk & Super Bonk. Where do shaky hands fall between the two? I want to make sure I'm using the terms correctly.

mtbr member
    Seems like Mother Nature has not been kind to those of us trying to get some mileage using our new XP3's. Monsoon Storms or the treat of a storm every night has kept me off the trails more than usual. Tonight was no different but predicted arrival not till approx. 2 am. so I thought I'd give it a try with a local Wednesday group night ride. 2 miles into the trail it started to sprinkle (approx. 8:30 pm.). Everyone else had driven to the trail head and decided to continue on, I had 17 mi. to go if I backtracked which is what I decided to do. Light rain till I got away from the mountains but luckily dry for the last 12 mi. home (I didn't appreciate the 20 mph headwind thought!). Guess I'll find out tomorrow how everyone else fared on the trails.

So how did the XP3 do? This turned out to be a good reminder of how neutral-white emitters work. Not too impressed riding with the group and all those cool-white lights. When I backtracked by myself I could see so much better. This trail is a lot slower and snakes in and out of brush. XP3 worked just as effective as it did on the fast trails of its initial mountain outing. Lots of things for the light to reflect off of but not a problem with these emitters. I'm very satisfied so far. Look forward to more posts by other owners as they get more mileage with their XP3's.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Geez, you and Cat have been having quite the time dealing with weather and your body's failing you lately. I feel for both of you. Once again it's nice to hear just how much people are liking the neutral emitters. A couple years ago i thought ( who cares lol) light is light!! was i ever wrong. Listening to you guys and swapping over my led boards to 4900K tint was one of the best upgrades i have ever done. Even more important now as the ouputs of the good lights are very strong.

mtbr member
    Geez, you and Cat have been having quite the time dealing with weather and your body's failing you lately. I feel for both of you. Once again it's nice to hear just how much people are liking the neutral emitters. A couple years ago i thought ( who cares lol) light is light!! was i ever wrong. Listening to you guys and swapping over my led boards to 4900K tint was one of the best upgrades i have ever done. Even more important now as the ouputs of the good lights are very strong.
    Yep, and now it's my turn again for crappy weather. Yesterday was record heat. ( the heat index was near 113F ) Nevertheless I likely would have tried for a ride but I had an important errand to run. Today a thunderstorm hit the area just as the sun was setting. , otherwise I would of tried for a ride. Tomorrow could end up being the same. Even if it doesn't rain it will be as hot as the dickens. Actually I'm looking forward to the heat. I want to test out the vancbiker Gopro mount for my Duo but I'm also looking for a second chance to use the XP3.

Once again I have a week off and the weather is looking like I'll be able to fry eggs on my car hood and then get it cleaned by Mother nature the same day ( for the entire week )...

RAKC
    Ya I feel you, was looking forward to some night riding this weekend but got too much rain Thursday night

Sadly except for taking my son stomping around on his new fat bike (nothing special just a mongoose Logan) all my miles this week have been road... Feel like I'm cheating on my fat and my 29er.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Yep, and now it's my turn again for crappy weather. Yesterday was record heat. ( the heat index was near 113F ) Nevertheless I likely would have tried for a ride but I had an important errand to run. Today a thunderstorm hit the area just as the sun was setting. , otherwise I would of tried for a ride. Tomorrow could end up being the same. Even if it doesn't rain it will be as hot as the dickens. Actually I'm looking forward to the heat. I want to test out the vancbiker Gopro mount for my Duo but I'm also looking for a second chance to use the XP3.

Once again I have a week off and the weather is looking like I'll be able to fry eggs on my car hood and then get it cleaned by Mother nature the same day ( for the entire week )...
    Hopefully the weather works out and all you have to deal with is some heat and the down pour from the thunder storms is minimal. Getting dark a bit before 9pm now so some night rides are on my radar too (cant wait!!)

Will be interesting to get your feedback on Vancbiker's heat sync. Cheers!!

mtbr member
    I sure did have the crappy weather blues this week. Finally got my first ride of the week in today. ( Yea! ) XP3 continues to impress. The weather is finally a bit cooler but the humidity is still up in the 90% range. I thought about taking a chance for a ride last night but because the last rain was near 1" and less than 24hrs I decided to wait till the next day. Glad I did. The trail I rode was the same as the last time I rode and once again it was in pretty good shape. Thankfully no bonking. SuperCAt was back to his normal white knuckle/Bone-jarring/Claw-climbing self. Damn, days are getting shorter. Getting dark now around 8:00pm.

I noticed tonight that the XP3 does get quite warm especially if you're using the high mode and not moving very fast. It's no "branding iron" but it does get hot. Then again I'm only using the high mode for minutes at a time. No problems though. The XP3 is working wonderfully as a helmet light.

Once again really cool riding during a full moon. When I was leaving the trail head and riding back to the car, I noticed as I was riding down the road the moon was casting some very strong shadows from the trees I was passing. Suddenly out of nowhere from the past an old song I haven't heard in years hauntingly came into my mind. I sang a little of it as I made my way back to the car.

Hoping for another ride tomorrow night. I'd like to ride some faster trails but to get those I have to travel. No rain in the forecast, just need to decide where to go.

mtbr member

XP3 ride ( continued from my Duo review thread )

The second half of my ride tonight was with the XP3. Previously I had the Gemini Duo with vancbiker Gopro adaptor on the lid for it's first test. ( see my Duo review thread ). At the halfway point of the ride I stopped to not only switch lamps but to rest. Seems I was a little winded and beat-up from all the juking over all the ruts and storm debris from last weeks storm. Thankfully I pulled out my 1960's "Hercules Power Ring" hoping to get a boost of energy to get me though the night. Damn, I held it high in the air just like the cartoon Hercules of the 60's but sadly no lightning or thunder arrived to power the ring......curses, foiled again. ...no problem, I made due with a couple GU packs and that got me going again. ...Anyway...

The moment I switched to the XP3 there was a remarkable difference in how much of the trail I was able to see. I'm not just talking output wise. Sure, the XP3 blows the duel emitter Duo out of the water with it's brighter output. That's pretty much expected. Nope, the difference in the warmer emitter tint of the XP3 makes almost as much difference as the added output. Together, they blow the Duo's away.

Tonight was tough going because I was dealing with a lot of trail debris from last week's flash flood in the area I was riding. The Duo, while doing a pretty good job at distance was having problems giving me the trail details I needed to see when close up. The Duo emitters are still a bit too cool for my liking. ( I will at some point send it to ActionLED for the warmer retro-fit ).

With the XP3 on the lid I had much more confidence to use more speed. When I hit the final downhill I used high all the way back to the trail head. Once again, I will reiterate, the XP3 does indeed get hot ( when used on high ). When I got to the trail head I reached up on the helmet to turn the lamp off. The lamp was hot enough to be uncomfortable to touch. Because the "off sequence" is a bit long you have to hold the button down more than a couple seconds. More than enough time to get your fingers burned if holding the lamp the wrong way**. Once I detected how hot it was I let go of the lamp and just used one finger to push the button down.

Anyway, the throw of the XP3 continues to impress me. On the trail I shone the lamp out over a long open area and boy did it light things up. I have a feeling this will be my "go to" helmet lamp for quite a while.

(**if using the remote you obviously don't have to worry about holding the lamp and getting burned. Using the remote on the XP3 is always an option )

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Waiting on a review of the vanc mount forthcoming.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    The second half of my ride tonight was with the XP3. Previously I had the Gemini Duo with vancbiker Gopro adaptor on the lid for it's first test. ( see my Duo review thread ). At the halfway point of the ride I stopped to not only switch lamps but to rest. Seems I was a little winded and beat-up from all the juking over all the ruts and storm debris from last weeks storm. Thankfully I pulled out my 1960's "Hercules Power Ring" hoping to get a boost of energy to get me though the night. Damn, I held it high in the air just like the cartoon Hercules of the 60's but sadly no lightning or thunder arrived to power the ring......curses, foiled again. ...no problem, I made due with a couple GU packs and that got me going again. ...Anyway...

The moment I switched to the XP3 there was a remarkable difference in how much of the trail I was able to see. I'm not just talking output wise. Sure, the XP3 blows the duel emitter Duo out of the water with it's brighter output. That's pretty much expected. Nope, the difference in the warmer emitter tint of the XP3 makes almost as much difference as the added output. Together, they blow the Duo's away.

Tonight was tough going because I was dealing with a lot of trail debris from last week's flash flood in the area I was riding. The Duo, while doing a pretty good job at distance was having problems giving me the trail details I needed to see when close up. The Duo emitters are still a bit too cool for my liking. ( I will at some point send it to ActionLED for the warmer retro-fit ).

With the XP3 on the lid I had much more confidence to use more speed. When I hit the final downhill I used high all the way back to the trail head. Once again, I will reiterate, the XP3 does indeed get hot ( when used on high ). When I got to the trail head I reached up on the helmet to turn the lamp off. The lamp was hot enough to be uncomfortable to touch. Because the "off sequence" is a bit long you have to hold the button down more than a couple seconds. More than enough time to get your fingers burned if holding the lamp the wrong way**. Once I detected how hot it was I let go of the lamp and just used one finger to push the button down.

Anyway, the throw of the XP3 continues to impress me. On the trail I shone the lamp out over a long open area and boy did it light things up. I have a feeling this will be my "go to" helmet lamp for quite a while.

(**if using the remote you obviously don't have to worry about holding the lamp and getting burned. Using the remote on the XP3 is always an option )
    Power rings aside , are you using a bar light with the XP3?

I know some people will always want more light, but from the reviews, it seems the output of a pair of XP3s may be reaching the limit WRT actual useful light. Does that seem to be true?

RAKC
    For me high on dual triples is too much. Floodier optics on the bar light makes it so much better. Well for me it's almost total flood. Very slight, large spot is noticeable on open ground.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Neat. I hope we see the market put more effort into efficiency, battery endurance, and features. I know there will always be a market for lights that can be seen from space, but having 2000 - 3000 lumens in a smaller/lighter package, with better controls, that will run for six hours sounds like a more useful goal.

RAKC
    Well those things are limited by LED and battery technology. Nothing to do with light manufactures. The run times can be achieved but the packs are huge.

Other problem is the average user, stick it on high and leave it there from the time they get to the trail head till they get back. Which makes high lumen bit small heads impossible because people complain that a light steps down all the time then or the life of the light is reduced.

mtbr member
    Power rings aside , are you using a bar light with the XP3?

I know some people will always want more light, but from the reviews, it seems the output of a pair of XP3s may be reaching the limit WRT actual useful light. Does that seem to be true?
    Well...depends on the opinion of the user. I'm satisfied with my Gloworm X2 ( with neutral white emitters ) on the bars. It's using one spot and one standard flood optic. It works very well in combo with the XP3 ( using three standard spots ) on the helmet. Anyway that is my "go to" bar light at the moment. By next year Gloworm and possibly ITUO will be offering lamps with "Wireless remotes". When that happens I will almost have to have a lamp with wireless remote for the helmet. I got spoiled using wireless remotes while testing the Gemini light sets.

Anyway, if that happens the XP3 will likely end up replacing the GWX2 on the bars ( maybe ). Gloworm should end up with a wireless remote version of the XS and I might consider one of those for the helmet. I'm also hoping that ITUO will follow suit and go wireless remote as well with their new XP4. Never know though what might be announced and what new options will be available when the new season arrives.

On a side note; I need to compare the Gemini Olympia to the XP3. I'll be doing that on my next ride. Wish that were tonight but rain is in the area. The storm is almost past and the rainfall was minimal....maybe if I see some drying...

A second side note: the vancbiker Gopro adapter used on the Duo also seems to work on the Olympia...although on the Olympia there is not as much surface contact with the adapter as with the Duo. It will work though for the time being.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Well those things are limited by LED and battery technology. Nothing to do with light manufactures. The run times can be achieved but the packs are huge.

Other problem is the average user, stick it on high and leave it there from the time they get to the trail head till they get back. Which makes high lumen bit small heads impossible because people complain that a light steps down all the time then or the life of the light is reduced.
    Sure. I know the technology has been the limiting factor to a certain extent.

My point is that rather than seeing manufacturers trying to one-up each other on lumens, I hope they'll put more effort into producing more efficient lights. If so, heat issues could decrease, battery endurance could go up, and/or battery size could decrease. Those design goals seem more important to me than producing an affordable 8000 lumen light with the same heat and battery performance that's currently available.

RAKC
    That's the thing though, the efficiency your talking about is tech limited. 90%+ driver efficiency already exists in the better lights. Nothing more to gain there. It comes down the the LEDs now. The heat they generate, the wattage requirement per lumen etc is the limiting factor.

Even the best of the best can't do more than 1-2% more efficient systems than we are starting to see with Ituo which has at least on the xp2, hit the max efficiency achievable for a driver at these price points. And that's only a few percent better than 2015 glowworm.

The most efficient driver I've seen available has been ~93% avg across a battery cycle and those are expensive, custom drivers.

So we are still waiting for a system that works better. Either lower wattage LEDs, some new electronics tech or the next best thing in rechargeable batteries.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    ......A second side note: the vancbiker Gopro adapter used on the Duo also seems to work on the Olympia...although on the Olympia there is not as much surface contact with the adapter as with the Duo. It will work though for the time being.
    I want to warn future readers of this ^. There are two styles of Olympia housing. One will work with a Duo adapter, and the other will not due to there being a step in the mounting surface. I make a finned adapter modified to fit the stepped housing Olympia.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    That's the thing though, the efficiency your talking about is tech limited. 90%+ driver efficiency already exists in the better lights. Nothing more to gain there. It comes down the the LEDs now. The heat they generate, the wattage requirement per lumen etc is the limiting factor.

Even the best of the best can't do more than 1-2% more efficient systems than we are starting to see with Ituo which has at least on the xp2, hit the max efficiency achievable for a driver at these price points. And that's only a few percent better than 2015 glowworm.

The most efficient driver I've seen available has been ~93% avg across a battery cycle and those are expensive, custom drivers.

So we are still waiting for a system that works better. Either lower wattage LEDs, some new electronics tech or the next best thing in rechargeable batteries.
    I'm theorizing about future developments, not currently shipping products.

I'm hoping that there will be less of a demand for even brighter lights with similar heat, weight, and battery characteristics of lights like the XP3. I'd rather see light output stabilize, with an emphasis on battery endurance, system weight, features, and cost. In the future.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I'd vote CMD sonnet or laterar$ hit San there

RAKC
    Flat

I get where your going, here is what holds as constant:

Lumens vs cost have improved leaps and bounds over the years.

Batteries, better means higher costs. Either better batteries or trying to maximize driver efficiency.

Features adds costs

System weight is proportional to the requirements of the light design. Surface area is needed regardless. Batteries are a "fixed" weight. There is a small range of variation. 18650 cells maintain one rule right now, more capacity, the heavier the cell.

Beam patterns have specific requirements. Optic diameter being the main one. So size is limited.

BUT HERE IS SOMETHING YOU MIGHT LIKE:

There is a way around some of this. As we have discussed on so many occasions here. More LEDs combined to create the same number of lumens is more efficient.

Now my numbers aren't EXACT so don't take it as fact, it's JUST FOR EXAMPLE EXPLAINATION ONLY.

1 xm-l2 to create 1000 lumens out the front (OTF after losses)= 3A drive current @ 3.0 volts. So 9 watts

2 xm-l2 to create 1000 lumens mean 500 each OTF. But instead of requiring the same 9 watts, the power requirement is only 8 watts.

Or the other way, 9 watts to a single xm-l2 = 1000 lumens, 9 watts to 2 xm-l2 = 1100 lumens. 9 watts to 3 xm-l2 = 1300 lumens.

So you can increase runtime for the same lumen output number by increasing the number of emitters used. Also since the emitters are running more efficiently, less surface area for cooling is needed. So size and weight theoretically can be reduced to that of what the next lower count of emitters is.

But you run into the beam pattern issue. Optic size is rather fixed. To create the throw people want, for the most part you can't go below a 20mm optic. But there is a exception to this, more later

Trade off is price remains or slightly increases because of machining work and the extra emitter(s) used.

Now that said, the optic "block" of size. This is where led tech is moving right now. More output from smaller die emitters. The smaller the emitter, the smaller the optic can be to create the same beam pattern. Output levels aren't able to match xm-l2 which is why you rarely see anything different.

Now if the market demand mattering only about lumen number would chill out, then a whole new world can open up. Some riders will need the insane lumens like the xp3 and xp4 (don't be fooled by all these people that don't understand) the only need for that much output is areas where you can get up to really high speeds and have the open ground (think desert, mountains, downhill courses type open ground and speed). But the up side is these high max lumen lights will produce what most of use want for lumens with increased run time and sharp decrease in head temperatures.

Other thing being the "better the product, the more people will pay" rules of economics. So people have no issues paying big bucks. And also the bragging rights of using said brands.

Ituo is one that is trying to bridge the gap though. Quality and the rest of the list at more respectable pricing.

Oh and I keep seeing mentions of wireless remotes, I was told a couple months ago they are working on it, but they are going at it carefully because they want to do something reliable but a bit different than we see normally. So probably won't see it till winter or so is my guess.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Flat

I get where your going, here is what holds as constant:

Lumens vs cost have improved leaps and bounds over the years.

Batteries, better means higher costs. Either better batteries or trying to maximize driver efficiency.

Features adds costs

System weight is proportional to the requirements of the light design. Surface area is needed regardless. Batteries are a "fixed" weight. There is a small range of variation. 18650 cells maintain one rule right now, more capacity, the heavier the cell.

Beam patterns have specific requirements. Optic diameter being the main one. So size is limited.

BUT HERE IS SOMETHING YOU MIGHT LIKE:

There is a way around some of this. As we have discussed on so many occasions here. More LEDs combined to create the same number of lumens is more efficient.

Now my numbers aren't EXACT so don't take it as fact, it's JUST FOR EXAMPLE EXPLAINATION ONLY.

1 xm-l2 to create 1000 lumens out the front (OTF after losses)= 3A drive current @ 3.0 volts. So 9 watts

2 xm-l2 to create 1000 lumens mean 500 each OTF. But instead of requiring the same 9 watts, the power requirement is only 8 watts.

Or the other way, 9 watts to a single xm-l2 = 1000 lumens, 9 watts to 2 xm-l2 = 1100 lumens. 9 watts to 3 xm-l2 = 1300 lumens.

So you can increase runtime for the same lumen output number by increasing the number of emitters used. Also since the emitters are running more efficiently, less surface area for cooling is needed. So size and weight theoretically can be reduced to that of what the next lower count of emitters is.

But you run into the beam pattern issue. Optic size is rather fixed. To create the throw people want, for the most part you can't go below a 20mm optic. But there is a exception to this, more later

Trade off is price remains or slightly increases because of machining work and the extra emitter(s) used.

Now that said, the optic "block" of size. This is where led tech is moving right now. More output from smaller die emitters. The smaller the emitter, the smaller the optic can be to create the same beam pattern. Output levels aren't able to match xm-l2 which is why you rarely see anything different.

Now if the market demand mattering only about lumen number would chill out, then a whole new world can open up. Some riders will need the insane lumens like the xp3 and xp4 (don't be fooled by all these people that don't understand) the only need for that much output is areas where you can get up to really high speeds and have the open ground (think desert, mountains, downhill courses type open ground and speed). But the up side is these high max lumen lights will produce what most of use want for lumens with increased run time and sharp decrease in head temperatures.

Other thing being the "better the product, the more people will pay" rules of economics. So people have no issues paying big bucks. And also the bragging rights of using said brands.

Ituo is one that is trying to bridge the gap though. Quality and the rest of the list at more respectable pricing.

Oh and I keep seeing mentions of wireless remotes, I was told a couple months ago they are working on it, but they are going at it carefully because they want to do something reliable but a bit different than we see normally. So probably won't see it till winter or so is my guess.
    Thanks for the State of the Market Report.

RAKC
    Ya was long winded, but I spend so much time learning about these lights and sorting out why they cost so much, figured I'd share that and the "limitations" faced when making a light.

I've made one prototype myself with another FINALLY in the works. Had all the electronics laying here for months, havent touched the projects though. Since I don't have a proper mill or CNC, I use a drill press that I modded for the job and my Dremel. Not the cleanest looking when finished but played with some odd design ideas. Biggest one now is trying to get my preferred lumens and beam pattern (thankfully I'm not all about laser beam lvl throw) while making the head as small as possible. So XP-L HI with ledil optics. Triple for that then a quad Nichia 219c set up with Carclo 10mm class optics. Whenever I get time to work on then again

RAKC
    OK played with this light first on the lid with my xp2 then on the bars (changed optics) with xp4 on the lid.

Xp3 for helmet light all the way. Though I think dual isn't overkill at all. Only because programming down the modes to what you like has the lights running much more efficiently to generate the same lumens as is max in smaller lights.

I knew more LEDs to produce a set amount of lumens was better but this just confirms it. A dual set up will yield better run times to run at 1500 lumens each than doing it with a couple dual emitter lights.

But also why I like my xp2 on the bars, don't like a lot of output there. I like it on the lid. Bar light covers in close and adds spill.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Liking NF BT70 on Bars and XP3 helm.

@tigris99 does XP4 provide better throw and lumens than BT70? curious.

Ituo Wiz XP3-xp3.jpg

mtbr member
    Got these Vancbiker GoPro mounts in the mail today. Haven't ridden with them yet but should have plenty of opportunities with the next 6 days off work.

Ituo Wiz XP3-029.jpg

Ituo Wiz XP3-032.jpg

Ituo Wiz XP3-013.jpg

Mole

mtbr member
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]1091384[/ATTAC

11 degrees cooler, that's the difference the mount made in a fan cooled indoor test. Actually with the stock mounts the thermal protection kicked in around the 5 min. mark (small decreases in temp. and output were the clue). Running these tests in a lower ambient temp. would likely yield a greater temp spread. With the additional mass and cooling surface area the mount adds light-head temp stabilized below 125 degrees and maintained steady output. Need to test it on a ride but looks promising.
    Mole
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ituo Wiz XP3-004.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I'm in for one definitely. Cooler running, and low pro. Nice work.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    That is definitely a nice setup with Vancbiker's mount MRMOLE . I think it's crazy how well they work though, it makes me think that the design of the lighthead isn't quite good enough. An 11 degree drop is pretty big in my opinion. Just having a couple of fins in the direction of the wind must make all the difference.

RAKC
    Well we see this with most light heads. Any light as long as it's within its designed operating temps is fine. LEDs themselves are meant to run 10000 hrs at 85C. ALOT hotter than these light heads ever see.

Doesn't matter the light, the more surface area you add, the cooler it's going to run. The trick is having enough surface area while keeping the size and weight low.

Mole does have the hard core temperature testing though as he sees higher temps than pretty much any of us. So the benefits he's sees from every little bit are greater than like what I would see.

As you said, adding fins in the direction of air flow will have greater results than cross air flow. Inline fin design is more difficult to achieve though just do to space limitations. I can bet in time we will see lights that have fins going in the direction of air flow to allow the higher outputs to come out of lighter, maybe even smaller light heads.

mtbr member
    Got to do a "hard-core" temp. test ride last night of the XP3 w/Vancbiker mount. Learned the previous night that the mount works slightly better in the higher LoPro position (better airflow). Nice ride that included a 2+ mi. canal section where I could run 20,000 lumens and not offend anyone. By the end of that section the light had dimmed noticeably (20% est.) so the estimated 100 degree ride temp was enough for the thermal protection to notice even with the vancbiker mount. Very acceptable results considering I noted that the XP3 would activate its thermal protection @ about 130 degrees from the previous nights indoor bench testing. The only light I could say for sure I own that would handle the heat better are the XP2 and my hot weather champ Wiz20. I have a few other lights that may not be effected in these conditions but they all produce a lot fewer lumens and have thermal protection thresholds set @ 150 degrees (case temp.). As usual for the usefulness of the vancbiker mounts with this light.
    Mole

Ituo Wiz XP3-002.jpg

Ituo Wiz XP3-003.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    If your handlebar is made of metal, then your entire bike would act like a heat sink. That might be as significant of an effect as the air moving over the fins in order cool the light.

RAKC
    Now seeing that mount from Vanc, I want one.

Thanks for the update Mole!

I got a sweet ride in tonight. Did realize that the 25deg optics (all 3 installed) was a bit much for me. The trails I got to add to my options (and I'll be riding the hell out of, it's may favorite trails set these days) I need a bit more punch if I'm going to ride with a light like the xp4. Going to try xp2 on the bars next round see if things balance out better where I like them.

I'm definitely glad I went this light for my helmet now though, works better for me that way. More output on the lid is just nice lol.

I'll share some video when I get back from Missouri next week.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Now seeing that mount from Vanc, I want one.

Thanks for the update Mole!

I got a sweet ride in tonight. Did realize that the 25deg optics (all 3 installed) was a bit much for me. The trails I got to add to my options (and I'll be riding the hell out of, it's may favorite trails set these days) I need a bit more punch if I'm going to ride with a light like the xp4. Going to try xp2 on the bars next round see if things balance out better where I like them.

I'm definitely glad I went this light for my helmet now though, works better for me that way. More output on the lid is just nice lol.

I'll share some video when I get back from Missouri next week.

The more I night-ride the more I realize the perfect light setup depends on what trail I'm riding on. So far though the XP3 seem to be my favorite helmet unit no matter where I've taken it (Love this light).
    Look forward to the new video.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesaint View Post
    Liking NF BT70 on Bars and XP3 helm.

@tigris99 does XP4 provide better throw and lumens than BT70? curious.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xp3.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	155.4 KB 
ID:	1091124
    I'm curious about this too. So far I think my BT70 is my favorite match as a bar light used with the XP3 on the helmet. I have the lower power model BT70 though (unfortunately I think Tigris does too) but still would like his (Tigris) opinion on this.
    Mole

RAKC
    Xp4 is defiantly better. Good bit more throw and substantially more lumens.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I like that full vanc setup. Would eliminate the Ituo mount completely. Looks pricey tho.

RAKC
    The ituo mount is a bit different to deal with but I like it because it's quick on/off the bike. Though I use the qr lever itself when I need to adjust aim, when mounting I use the finger nut. Probably use some improvements there but we'll see how it goes with updates. I did notice how it can mount at an angle but if you think about it, not a bad idea for those with funky bars (if it was intentional).

mtbr member
    To put things in perspective the issues with the mount stand out because the rest of the light is sooo good. For most lights sold I would consider this mount an upgrade (Gloworm is the major exception). Now that this has been brought to Ituo's attention I'm sure they will react by giving us an improved mount with less shortcomings!
    Mole

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Man that bt70 is freakin huge.... It has to outweigh a wiz20 with batteries!

RAKC
    No its not THAT heavy lol. It's a beast though for how little lumens it puts out.

mtbr member
    Glad I found these threads. Just pulled the trigger on an XP2 and XP3 set. I've been through the fiasco with the magic shines. Had the origninals, then replaced the heads with Magic shine light heads that look exactly like the BT40s. Just found the colour to be horrible for me. Everything looks like shades of grey, with not much throw. So can't wait to get the Ituos.
    May use the XP3 on helmet and XP2 on bar. Or let my son use the XP2 on his bar and each use the Magic shines on the bars.

I also found that the batteries (Panasonic recall replacements from Geomangear) haven't had great run times. Maybe 1.5 hrs switching between med and high. But measured voltage from Magic shine chargers at around 10 volts. So not sure if they are permanently damaged?? I won't be using those chargers again.
    Will the Ituo chargers work with those batteries? Pretty sure they are 4 cells, 8.4v.

mtbr member

Another XP3 ride

Last night I did another ride with the XP3. This time I took the Gemini Olympia-R along so I could do some comparisons. The trail I rode was the one I mentioned before that had had major storm damage. I found out last week ( from the local MTB club ) that there were trails around the damaged areas so I decided to return there to check it all out.

I started the ride with the Olympia on the helmet ( gloworm X2 "neutral white" on bars as usual ). After about 30 minutes of riding through some previously unknown trails I switched over to the XP3. I really missed the wireless remote of the Olympia but other than that the XP3 certainly had the more useful beam pattern ( helmet set-up ...all spot optics ) . Even when just on low, the XP3 has some very useful throw. The beam pattern of the XP3 certainly compliments the GWX2 quite nicely.

Turned out to be a really nice ride. I explored a couple new trails thanks to my GPS app ( thank you OpenstreetCycle map ) which turned out to make my usual ride a little longer. I even got in the extra downhill trail which I had been putting off due to the storms. That trail is known for a lot of technical sections so the XP3 / GWX2 combo got a good workout while moving at speed.

It also turned out to be one of those rides where I was banging on all cylinders. I guess a lot of that had to do with the temps being near 70F or lower. Once again I finished off the final downhill section in stellar manner with the XP3 giving all the advance warning of obstacles that I needed. I was hoping a train would come by again ( on the other side of the river ) but sadly that didn't happen. I did however clear the technical rock section at the bottom even though one foot came out of a cleat right in the middle of it all. All in all, a good ride. The XP3 continues to impress me. If ITUO comes out with a wireless remote for this lamp I will be on one of those REAL quick.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Wireless would be killer! Good report CMD. Mine is waitin on the vanc mount as soon as available.

RAKC
    I know their working on a wireless system but they want to get it right the first time. Will probably be next year sometime before I even see a test unit. But would require a new light, wireless isn't a "plug and play" system sadly. It's a completely separate electronics system.

Cat, if you pull the duo apart (just take the screws out so you can pop the back cover off) youll see a secondary board with the components for wireless signal reception. That board only has connections to the driver for power, ground, and signal. In a simple sense all it does is replicate the action of the on head button. But little more to it when you add a dual button system for the "flash" mode of the second button.

This is why you end up with wireless remotes that activate programming modes and such. Too keep it simple. More simple (aka only acting the same as the on head button) means less to go wrong. Just like the removable wired remote we have now. It's simply in parallel with the on head button, nothing more than a second button right inline to allow the exact same functions.

As for why ituo is planning right now I can't get into. But it's something different (sorry no blue tooth to your phone bs). I personally like the idea. Once I see a test unit (and probably just driver assemblies to put in my current lights) I'll post up so we can all discuss just as Ituo prefers to do. Ask all of us what we think and go from there.

mtbr member
    @tigris; Do you know the exact emitter/bin that ITUO is using in the XP3? Whatever it is I want to know so I know what to ask for if dealing with other companies.

On a side note: Next time out I'll likely compare the XP3 to the SStorm"****"...duh...I forget what it was called now...
    This is the quad version of the SStorm with neutral white emitters. Not exactly apples to oranges but both should do really well in a head to head comparison.. I just hope I can get the Gopro adapter I have to work on the SStorm. If I can't I won't bother. I don't feel like taking off and installing a whole helmet mounting system while on a ride. With the Gopros all you do is change the head which is super great.
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 09-05-2016 at 06:33 PM.

mtbr member

The next ride

Ah, I remember now. Solarstorm XT40!. Anyway, I got the vanc Gopro mount I have to fit onto the XT40. Not a perfect fit for thermal contact right now but at the moment I just want it to work with the Gopro helmet mount.

Not sure I'll go out tonight. Slept late and been screwing around all day.
    Damn, never enough time to do everything you want to do. FWIW, I've been comparing the XT40 output/tint to the XP3 while shining them around inside the home. Tint is about the same. Output wise I'm rather shocked. I figured the XT40 had an advantage since it has an extra emitter. Nope, XP3 blows it away. It was so obvious that I don't even need to do a lux test. I still want to compare them on a ride though. The SStorm XT40 has a slightly tighter beam pattern. I need to see how that translates when riding. Both though are great as helmet lamps. Sadly, I don't think you can buy the XT40 anymore ( 4 reflector set-up )...hmmm..Gearbest might still have it. (?)...nope, not on Gearbest either.

Still on the fence on whether to go out tonight for a ride...damn, hungry right now, need some grub.

RAKC
    Cat: XM-L2 U3 3D. Only warmer tint (below 2 range) available in U3. Tint is ever so slightly warmer than our well known U2 3C which is probably why you like it. It's also a matter of the optics too. One brand of optic will make the light look slightly whiter or slightly warmer vs another.

I did expect the xt40 to be a bit warmer due to non-AR lens and reflector vs optics of xp3.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

XP3 X BT21 for helmet

Cat: XM-L2 U3 3D. Only warmer tint (below 2 range) available in U3. Tint is ever so slightly warmer than our well known U2 3C which is probably why you like it. It's also a matter of the optics too. One brand of optic will make the light look slightly whiter or slightly warmer vs another.

I did expect the xt40 to be a bit warmer due to non-AR lens and reflector vs optics of xp3.

I current using a BT21 on Helmets , it is worth to change it for a Ituo XP3??

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mentawais View Post
    is XP3 light head compatible with 2 cell battery?
    http://www.kaidomain.com/p/S024751.K...ith-10cm-Cable

mtbr member
    Depends on how much light you think you need. I can get by with just a single emitter lamp on the helmet if I want to but I much prefer having more light. I suppose it depends on the type of trails you are riding. If you're riding smooth, groomed, fast trails with lots of turns any lamp will do. On the other hand if you're riding in rough terrain with lots of ruts, wide turns, loose rock or multiple obstacles at any one moment, then having a lot of light coming off the helmet can be a big help.

I wondered myself how the XP3 would work with a two-cell. I wouldn't think it a problem if using the low and medium setting but the high is certain to draw a lot of juice. If you're into high mode the XP3 would drain a two cell battery really fast. That's assuming of course that the 2-cell you're using can handle the current draw of the XP3 on high and not have the protection circuit cut off the juice.

RAKC
    The 2 cell he listed will work, it's what Ive been using this entire time. Well my 2 cell is the Fenix case with the same cells used in that pack. That pack is specced for more current than the xp3 will draw so it'll be fine.

Cannot run it on high full time, will suck the battery down too fast. Running on medium except the really fast sections I get over an hour no problem. If for some reason I'm going to be out longer I have my hydropack anyway so I can put the 4 cell in the upper pocket and good to go. It's what I did for testing the xp4.

mtbr member
    What optics are in your BT21? Stock optics in that light are inefficient and hold back its performance, especially throw. That being said, even with the best performing optics in your BT21 individual emitter performance is only about equal to the XP3 so your looking at 50% more light produced by the Ituo light. That's a large very noticeable performance increase using the XP3. If this sounds like what your looking for then it's worth it, ultimately up to you to decide.
    Mole

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Got to do a "hard-core" temp. test ride last night of the XP3 w/Vancbiker mount. Learned the previous night that the mount works slightly better in the higher LoPro position (better airflow). Nice ride that included a 2+ mi. canal section where I could run 20,000 lumens and not offend anyone. By the end of that section the light had dimmed noticeably (20% est.) so the estimated 100 degree ride temp was enough for the thermal protection to notice even with the vancbiker mount. Very acceptable results considering I noted that the XP3 would activate its thermal protection @ about 130 degrees from the previous nights indoor bench testing. The only light I could say for sure I own that would handle the heat better are the XP2 and my hot weather champ Wiz20. I have a few other lights that may not be effected in these conditions but they all produce a lot fewer lumens and have thermal protection thresholds set @ 150 degrees (case temp.). As usual for the usefulness of the vancbiker mounts with this light.
    Mole

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	216.5 KB 
ID:	1091539

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	191.2 KB 
ID:	1091540
    Where can you purchase this mount system and what is the cost? Also, how much does it weigh? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooks04 View Post
    Where can you purchase this mount system and what is the cost? Also, how much does it weigh? Thanks!
    GoPro adapters for bike lights

There's a link for you. Vancbiker is on vacation right now but may be back tomorrow (9/7). These mounts are "Fit" prototypes so He's waiting on my OK but mounts fit both my XP2 & 3 perfectly. I'll PM him tomorrow that they're good to go. You'll also have to check with him on pricing and delivery. Finned light mount: 15g, swivel bar nount:31g
    Mole

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Road View Post
    I'm in for one definitely. Cooler running, and low pro. Nice work.
    PM'd Vancbiker yesterday with the fit "OK". Did you order your mount yet?
    Mole

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Monday I'm going for the vanc mount. Might grab a bt21 mount as well. My Gearbest/deals machine mount disappeared somehow....

mtbr member
    May 2005
    PM'd Vancbiker yesterday with the fit "OK". Did you order your mount yet?
    Mole
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Road View Post
    Monday I'm going for the vanc mount. Might grab a bt21 mount as well. My Gearbest/deals machine mount disappeared somehow....
    I'll be running a production batch within a week. Gotta catch up on some other work first. I'll start a new thread when production Ituo XP adapters are ready.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    My Ituo WIZ-XP3 LED Mountain Bike Light and Wiz20 USB LED Bike Light just arrived. Cant wait to try them out!
    Bob
    2016 Stumpjumper Expert 650b

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Maybe some of you can answer some questions about this light for me. Currently I use a Yinding 900 with spot optics and BT40S.

1) Will this be a noticeable improvement over the Yinding 900?

2) Would it be better to just buy two Yinding 900 lights instead of one of these?

3) Does this light work best in 3 spot optics, and use a BT40S for close up light?

4) Is the BT40S better than this XP3 for close up light if using best optics for close up light on XP3?

5) I'm looking for even more light output than my Yinding 900 and BT40S,
    Would you consider this the best value light to get more light on the trail?

6) Is this light too heavy or on the heavy side for a bicycle helmet mount, and better off using a lighter light like the Yinding 900?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I have mine out now. It kills all my lights, except the gloworm xs (best light I have). It's a beast. It can do it all, and it's remarkably small. Best buy category winner. But you have a decent setup with the "ding" and the bt40. $200 is chump change, but not to me. If you bought one, you would be happy. Good after sales support as well!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Speeder500 View Post
    Maybe some of you can answer some questions about this light for me. Currently I use a Yinding 900 with spot optics and BT40S.

2) Would it be better to just buy two Yinding 900 lights instead of one of these?

3) Does this light work best in 3 spot optics, and use a BT40S for close up light?

4) Is the BT40S better than this XP3 for close up light if using best optics for close up light on XP3?

6) Is this light too heavy or on the heavy side for a bicycle helmet mount, and better off using a lighter light like the Yinding 900?

Thanks
    If you run the BT40S on the bars and the XP3 ( comes standard with all spot optics ) on the helmet, you will have a complete dialed in "neutral white" set-up that will be a noticeable improvement over the combo using the yinding. Also the XP3 comes with GoPro helmet mount which is superior to standard O-ring mount set-ups. Only downside to using the XP3 on the helmet is that the lamp takes more than 3 seconds to turn off. This is only difficult though if you are moving ( think one hand on head for >3sec. ) If you want the next level of visual acuity while riding trails at night using the XP3 will help get you there. With XP3 you are getting great bang for the buck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Speeder500 View Post

Thanks
    Question #1): Absolutely better! Over 2 times the light produced measured with my light-meter. One of the main things for me comparing these 2 lights is the mode button. XP3's top mounted button is very easy to use and accurate (reliable mode change every time) vs. the back mounted Yinding button which is the worst functioning of any light I've ever used.

2): No.

3): Stock spot optics are perfect for me (helmet use) and the way I would use it with a BT40s on the bars.

4): No, XP3 is better with correct optics. You can change optics to produce a similar beam pattern to the BT40s but with all the XP3's additional power you would have a wider beam, lots more throw and considerably brighter. Using max. power settings may not be the best way to use this light on the bars but it is easily adjusted to the perfect amount of light needed compared to only preset modes on the BT40s. Remote switch is very nice for bar use too. Keeps your hands on the bars.

5): At this moment yes. Hard to predict how much light another person really needs. My suggestion is you get an XP3 and try it with your BT40s first. If you still want/need more light 2 XP3s would work great together and you can purchase a second one later.

6): My skinny little neck has no problems with the XP3 on my helmet. Did 30 mi. all off road last night and didn't notice the weight at all.

The last 3 light purchases I've made have been Ituo products (Wiz20. XP2, XP3). I've been very impressed with the quality and performance of all these lights and been very happy with each purchase and I'm sure you would be too.
    Mole

RAKC
    I've been using mine as my helmet light for a couple months with a 2 cell pack on my helmet too. And I am weenie about weight on my helmet. 4 cell or a big light and my neck hurts half way into a ride. This light I can ride for over an hour with 2 cell on the lid without even noticing.

mtbr member
    After last nights ride I'll never refer the max. power on the XP3 as overkill again. Last half of the 16 mi. loop is all down hill, pretty twisty at the top but opens up to smooth, flowy, fast section to finish off the ride. My riding buddy is a faster decender than I am but if I stay on his tail I can use his lights to give advance warning of turns and trail irregularities and it compensates for his greater skill. If he gaps me a little usually its all over and I have to slow down. Stayed with him in the twisty sections but he had gotten about 75 yards ahead once it opened up and I figured it was over staying with him. Usually run the XP3 (helmet mounted) @ 70% but decided it wouldn't hurt to kick it up to max. Surprised myself and caught right up. Lesson learned. As I've said before, "I love this light"!
    Mole
    Last edited by MRMOLE; 09-19-2016 at 07:53 PM.

RAKC
    Nice Mole! The right lights definitely help. For me my fat bike did a lot for me last night. Won't get into the long version but spent the weekend camping next to my favorite and second closest trails etc. Wake up looking out over the river, look the opposite direction and see the hills and bluff the trails are on. When we came in to pick a campsite I drove first the the back tent sites the the river side tent sites.

At the end of the road the last site I saw mountain and road bikes, talked to the couple staying there, said to take the site next to them. He was a rider out of Chicago area, racer and so on. Gf was a roadie who's now been corrupted and adding trail riding too now lol. Saturday I took him and my son out to ride a lap. Ended up never letting go my 29er out this weekend, I took all 3 bikes bit only rode my road bike a little and rest on the fatty. He enjoyed the ride a lot, liked the trails a lot.

After we get back, he goes out for another lap he and his gf borrowed mine and my sons fat bikes (his gf is tiny) and go do the south loop. Hence corrupting her now. He's considering a fat bike now too lol.

Earlier is just conversation I had mentioned night riding. He was open to it but no lights. Of course I brought spares. He didn't seem overly into it beyond the fun of another lap with a new riding buddy.

Then I put the xp4 on his bars (I went my xp3 lid 2 bars combo). His eyes lit up.

We hit the trails. Thankfully this time he wasn't so confident and fast. So I was able to hang without issue till the downs. Oh and he was being chill about the climbs. Fat bike, low gearing, almost no sleep the night before....I was slow but cleared them. Once climbs were over my new found confidence of riding my fatty I was able to either keep up or have enough speed when he was following to keep him having fun too. Each half of the lap is a long climb up, fast flow in a loop up top with a mix of minor tech of all sorts then a bit techy but fast descent. Go to other half of the set and climb up and same type of trail with another fast but minorly techy descent.

Now he wants to get into to night riding. He's not a fan of big brand lights. High output is insanely priced and he enjoyed the NW tint of my lights.

So made great new friends (though a couple hours away normally) that are awesome people and was able to show someone how much fun night riding really is when you get away from the cheap crap and overpriced branded stuff that's all cool white tints and not much on output. Add that with a couple new PR'S (white night riding on my fat bike which I couldn't believe) both in total lap time and the upper loops. Not to mention felt great to be able to keep someone that's way faster entertained. Always hated dragging people down a lot.

Fat bikes and my ituo lights have opened up a whole new level of happiness and speed this weekend.

I'm actually considering selling, my 29er and my fat bike so I can get a new fatty that will except plus forks. B+ hardtail summer, rigid fat winter. Or a small fat with Sus forks (3.8 tires ish) for summer and rigid fat with 4.7 in front at least for snow.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Had a good ride last nite with the xp3 on the lid/ wiz20 on the bars. My new KD 2cell pack was on point running on low/med and about 5min on high. With temps in the 50s was an awesome ride. Had 1-1/2hrs of pushing speed more, I ride faster (still slow) in colder months, last night was perfect. Xp3 is a really good helmet light. This will be my winter setup, but will use the 4 cell stuffed in my jacket. Wiz20 should be good to go as is.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast