Its coming, its finally coming, BT....- Mtbr.com
    RAKC

Its coming, its finally coming, BT....

Since the bt40 then BT21 being released, the newest light from nitefighter has been in the whispers and random comments. WELL ITS COMING!!! Already listed here

Nitefighter BT70 2800 Lumens CREE XP G2 7 LEDs Neutral White Light Bicycle Headlight-98.75 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com

NOT IN STOCK, talking at minimum 2 weeks before the first few get to GB.

Tell you what I do know: XP-G2 NW emitters like BT40s. But info I have gotten from the samples given is this thing is insane. ALso comes in the same form as bt21 (actually working on bt40s getting the cases to) all the same stuff including the big case!!!

Be a bit of time before I get my review going (before I even get mine) as this is "just released".

This wont be the review thread, this is the "teaser" and anticipation thread. Hence the name

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Nice. Will there come a lighthead only option as well? Some coupon codes?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I was just thinking about when the crazy season of spending on lights would finish and remembered this one!

mtbr member
    I just clicked on the link and it seems Gearbest is having a 3 day sale on them so whether or not they are in stock or not, Gearbest is selling them NOW.

Hummm, I looked over the product description and I'm NOT LIKING a lot of what I'm seeing. What's up with this having a strobe and SOS in the main menu? ( No way would I want that! ) No battery information. A lamp like this needs to be using at least a 6-cell. A 7800mAh Bak would be great but it doesn't say. Lastly, I'm not liking the mode set-up. Besides the flash issue why would low be 56 lumen? What the hell is that good for, taking a piss? Should be more like Low ( 300 lumen ) Medium ( 600 lumen ) High ( 1500 lumen ) and Boost ( 2800 lumen ).

Anyway, with the modes being set as they are I have a feeling that they don't want to over-heat the lamp on the lower settings. This likely means that use of the boost mode is going to be limited by a protection circuit. Hope I'm wrong about that. Fifty six lumen low! WTF are they thinking..even the BT40 is likely over 200 lumen on low! ( and no garbage flash modes in the way )

Its coming, its finally coming, BT....-201505281510599312.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Well Cat the specs on Nitefighter's wholesale page are a little different from what GearBest says:

Work Pattern 100%-50%-20%-10%

So Low would be like 280 Lumens. Am guessing the NiteFighter page would be more accurate, as GB has certainly messed up specs before.

Agree the lamp should probably come with a six-pack but at least the BT70 supposedly employs 4x 3400mAh BAKs again according to their page on DIY Trade. ( NiteFighter's own page says Panasonics.) Estimated run time on Turbo is 1.8 hours, four hours on High. Not bad at all, if the estimate is to be believed.

Doesn't appear to have SOS mode or Flashing, just like the BT40S. Wonder if the package will include the same type of extra-wide angle lens, as shown in the [Ukranian?] YouTube video: http://youtu.be/bfnUC1FMkI8 From one of the pics at GB it looks like it's packaged inside the case, though they don't list it in Package Contents (while they do list the non-existant GoPro mount.)

Maybe Andy Wong can confirm?
    Last edited by andychrist; 06-01-2015 at 07:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Holy cow. Light overload!

I'm still on the fence on the BT21 and we already have another light in the pipeline. I have a stack of lights that I'm barely using. Am I the only one who has this problem?

I don't know about the design on this one. More lumens means more surface area is necessary to cool the leds. This looks like it has less surface area.

What happened to all the stuff we wanted in the design the optimal light thread? Programmable driver, hidden strobe mode, optics kit, a removable remote, mount options, optimal cooling etc?

As a group, if we just keep buying the not-quite-right lights then we will just get more of the same.

I'm not trying to sound ungrateful here, I know tigris99 is putting a lot of work into this and we are getting some great deals. I'm just worried that I'll have a $500 pile of lights that isn't quite what I wanted. At some point, as a group, we need to start holding out for the lights that we really want.

RAKC
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    Holy cow. Light overload!

I'm still on the fence on the BT21 and we already have another light in the pipeline. I have a stack of lights that I'm barely using. Am I the only one who has this problem?

I don't know about the design on this one. More lumens means more surface area is necessary to cool the leds. This looks like it has less surface area.

What happened to all the stuff we wanted in the design the optimal light thread? Programmable driver, hidden strobe mode, optics kit, a removable remote, mount options, optimal cooling etc?

As a group, if we just keep buying the not-quite-right lights then we will just get more of the same.

I'm not trying to sound ungrateful here, I know tigris99 is putting a lot of work into this and we are getting some great deals. I'm just worried that I'll have a $500 pile of lights that isn't quite what I wanted. At some point, as a group, we need to start holding out for the lights that we really want.

Thing is alot of us aren't just getting what we want or need to ride. We have a thing for led lights. Think its bad here, nothing compared to the flashlight guys on candlepower and budgetlightforum.

Guys I will tell you DONT GO BY THE DESCRIPTION YET. My "inside info" has me thinking that the page is off, based in old version of the light (the one in Ukraine YouTube).

More lumens/emitters needing more cooling is yes and no. The lighthead is far bigger than bt40. Next is more lumen are produced with less heat using more emitters at lower current than fewer at higher current.

But well know more when mine gets here.
    Last edited by tigris99; 06-01-2015 at 02:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    Ahem . . . (raises hand slowly).

-Garry
    "My Bike Lights" Thread on BLF teardowns, measurements, and beamshots. Moving my photos, PM or post up if you can't see them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    It's easy to see why people might be attracted to this light. It caught the attention of a few posters on here before people started to get their hands on the BT40s. It has a unique appeal with 7x XPG2 led with an optic lens along with the established quality from previous nitefighter lights. I am tempted and like most on here have far too many lights already.

My big question is what sort of gain are we expecting to see over a 4x XPG2 light such as it's little brother the bt40s? A brighter more powerful light with a better beam pattern?

RAKC
    More light output, yes, beam pattern being "better" is in the eyes on the user.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by andychrist View Post
    Well Cat the specs on Nitefighter's wholesale page are a little different from what GearBest says:

Work Pattern 100%-50%-20%-10%

So Low would be like 280 Lumens. Am guessing the NiteFighter page would be more accurate, as GB has certainly messed up specs before.

Agree the lamp should probably come with a six-pack but at least the BT70 supposedly employs 4x 3400mAh BAKs again according to their page on DIY Trade. ( NiteFighter's own page says Panasonics.) Estimated run time on Turbo is 1.8 hours, four hours on High. Not bad at all, if the estimate is to be believed.

Doesn't appear to have SOS mode or Flashing, just like the BT40S. Wonder if the package will include the same type of extra-wide angle lens, as shown in the [Ukranian?] YouTube video: http://youtu.be/bfnUC1FMkI8 From one of the pics at GB it looks like it's packaged inside the case, though they don't list it in Package Contents (while they do list the non-existant GoPro mount.)

Maybe Andy Wong can confirm?
    Well I checked the different links that you quoted. The DIYtrade link ( by Andy Wong ) lists a much more strangely different output ratio but it still employes a flash mode. I see no reference anywhere to the low mode being anything other than 56 lumen except on Andy's DIYtrade link which states it as being 30%. Thirty percent would be more like 840 lumen and with that said no way would I want an 840 lumen low mode. For a lamp like this low should be about ~300 lumen and there should be no flash modes unless they are hidden in a push-and-hold sub-program.

I do see reference to a 4-cell Panasonic battery although Andy's site calls it a BAK battery. Once again, Gearbest has up information about the UI that I don't like. Not only that but the thermal management circuit used in the lamp is designed to automatically drop to medium level ( according to what's on the Gearbest site ) That means if you're using either boost or high and the lamp determines that the temperature is too high it will automatically drop the output to 520 lumen. While 520 lumen is still a very useable amount of light at that point it will be your only useable mode until the lamp cools. That's not good because on slow climbs or walking sections it would nice to power down even more ( so the lamp doesn't over-heat more than it needs to ) but not to 56 lumen! As for me, I'm distrustful of automatic thermal drop-down settings and how they will operate in the field. If the setting is too low it will be dropping out of high very quickly and dropping from boost mode within less than a minute ( I am of course speculating but based on the design of the lamp I think I have reason to be pessimistic ).

Looks like I'm going to have to wait this one out till someone can confirm what UI is actually being used. So far not one of the ones I see on the links is acceptable to me. I'm not going to be willing to fuss with 2 or even 1 flash mode being in the main menu. Rather than do that I'd be more inclined to just use two BT40's or BT21's and use a Y-cable to operate both lamps on the bars ( IF I really want high output off the bars ). Like the old saying, "There's more than one way to skin a cat".

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Cat, where it says Flash they must mean the battery charge indicator. Just like the BT40S and BT21 it goes in increments of up to 100% 75% 50% 30% charge, and under (Green, Blue, Orange, Red, Flashing Red LEDs). Unfortunately they describe this as "Work Pattern" the same as they list the lamp's brightness modes I quoted above, 100% 50% 20% 10%.

Agree it makes more sense to run a couple of different lights rather than risk thermal shut down to Medium. But I'm still pretty sure that like the BT40S, the BT70 does not have a Flash mode, and that the whole interface is identical. GearBest just made some mistakes in transcribing the original information, nothing unususal about that, cough cough.

RAKC
    I dont have time frame confirmed yet (probably have info tonight) but my guess is end of next week. But we are expecting everyone to wait till review like we did with bt21.

mtbr member
    Cat, where it says Flash they must mean the battery charge indicator. Just like the BT40S and BT21 it goes in increments of up to 100% 75% 50% 30% charge, and under (Green, Blue, Orange, Red, Flashing Red LEDs). Unfortunately they describe this as "Work Pattern" the same as they list the lamp's brightness modes I quoted above, 100% 50% 20% 10%.

Agree it makes more sense to run a couple of different lights rather than risk thermal shut down to Medium. But I'm still pretty sure that like the BT40S, the BT70 does not have a Flash mode, and that the whole interface is identical. GearBest just made some mistakes in transcribing the original information, nothing unususal about that, cough cough.
    ac, I went back to take a look at the DIYtrade site ( Andy Wong ) and I noticed that they list "working pattern" in two different places. Apparently the first one ( which I quoted earlier ) is likely linked ( liked you indicated ) to the voltage indicators ( hence, why there is mention of flash ). If you scroll down on the page the issue of "working pattern" is once again mentioned but this time as > 100% - 50% - 20% - 10%. No mention of flash. Hopefully this is referring to the actual "User Interface". This UI would be MOST ACCEPTABLE. Hopefully this is what Gearbest will be selling.

The Gearbest ad though is very, very misleading. They describe the lamp as having a flash and a strobe mode, not to mention a 56 lumen low mode which in no way resembles what the other site indicates. No one in their right mind want's flash or strobe in the working main UI. Hopefully they will at some point make some corrections as to what the lamp actually has as a UI. I'll also point out that the ad for the BT21 also indicates a strobe mode...which of course it does not have...thankfully.

Thanks ac for pointing out these issues.

RAKC
    Oh the bt21 has a strobe mode you just ain't found it yet lol. You will...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Oh the bt21 has a strobe mode you just ain't found it yet lol. You will...
    I stand corrected.

I went to the Nitefighter site to view all of the instructions ( for all of their lamps ).
    The BT21 does indeed have a strobe and one funky strobe it is. ( **special note, I checked the other lamps but they make no mention of having a strobe so hopefully the BT21 is the only one that does ). Anyway, the strobe is not in the main menu per say so unless you change modes "really fast" it shouldn't be an issue.

More interesting is the instructions for the BT70. On the web site they still list the low mode as 56 lumen. While I condemned this before I'm now a little unsure just how bright they think 56 lumen is. I say that because on the website the instructions for the "BT21" list the low as 20 lumen ( WTF?.. ) and after riding with the bt21 on low I certainly wouldn't of called it 20 lumen. I was thinking more along the lines of somewhere around 100-110 lumen. Not real bright but bright enough for a slow climb or portage.

Now the funny thing is that the NF website lists the BT40S's low mode as 480 lumen! When I first reviewed the ( BT40S ) lamp I estimated the output on low to be somewhere around 200 lumen!...so as you can see there is some uncertainty on my part when it comes to the actual low mode output for any of their lamps. If the BT21 is indeed 20 lumen ( on low ) and I think it 100 lumen, then it stands to reason if the BT70 is listing 56 lumen as a low I might consider it as 200 lumen...lol...but, I'm not going to do that until I actual see the low mode myself. Once again though, I need to do more rides with the BT21 so I can judge the low mode better.

mtbr member
    I wish they would just list the mode spacing percentage instead of lumens (or at least show both) like 10%-20%-50%-100% although the mode spacing is generally the % of max current which doesn't correlate easily to lumens output (i.e. 20% of max current doesn't mean 20% of the max lumens).

-Garry
    "My Bike Lights" Thread on BLF teardowns, measurements, and beamshots. Moving my photos, PM or post up if you can't see them.

RAKC
    Cat, that's how I found mine switching modes way too fast during testing lol. And it takes a double hit to activate it. I like that it has it though(hidden but existant) I gotta retest its strobe pulse, but the nitefighter lantern and flashlight i have now (im a reviewer for nf now as well) both have a strobe that's Morse code "SOS". Not bad to have as if you point it in the air the odd pattern will cause people too look and try to figure out the pattern. Good if your out by yourself and need help. Just another safety option which I like, as long as its hidden on my bike lights.

RAKC
    Ok so mine should be here around 2 weeks from today.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Ok so mine should be here around 2 weeks from today.
    Great. I look forward to seeing what this light is like.

Any news yet on whether it will be sold as lighthead only and whether there will be any discount codes?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Found an interesting 7-up from a South African site, an XP7.

Its coming, its finally coming, BT....-image.jpg

Uses seven Cree XP-L in the same hexagonal pattern as the BT70, while the lamp shell itself looks more similar to the old MagicShine MJ-872 (kinda crappy in comparison to the Nightfighter IMNSHO) but with a pretty spiffy QR mount. Not sure whether it's actually manufactured in SA or made in China exclusively for SA, website's kinda ambiguous about that. Anyway makes me wonder whether Nitefighter might be able to implement XP-L in the BT70 form factor any time soon.

RAKC
    nice find, xp-ls would be awesome but gotta have the optics. That said, theres gotta be some point of "ffs thats just too much light" but for me it comes down to its usally moist if its green out so having a happy medium (enough modes) comes into play. I think the bt70 Ill be able to run on medium 99% of the time lol.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yeah well they're LEDiL optics so not an exclusive, but probably will be pricey to implement until duplicated elsewhere.

Its coming, its finally coming, BT....-image.jpg

Agree enough lumens already, but the point of the XP-L is efficiency. So you'd get longer run time at the same light level, that's always a plus.

RAKC
    ya thats why im going to convert my toasted bt21 (if you read the bt21 thread youll know what stupid crap I did, thankfully pack was unscaved). GOing to mill out the head to fit noctigons with XP-L v6 3c's and a mtn-max 17mm driver. See how that thing runs compared to a stock one when my "i had to buy a replacement cause im retarded" order arrives. Not bad though, all my crazy crap ive done and only lost one light head, had to be the one I like the most outta my collection though. At least I still have my blue yinding,id have cried if I fried it.

mtbr member
    Found an interesting 7-up from a South African site, an XP7.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	115.5 KB 
ID:	993885

Uses seven Cree XP-L in the same hexagonal pattern as the BT70, while the lamp shell itself looks more similar to the old MagicShine MJ-872 (kinda crappy in comparison to the Nightfighter IMNSHO) but with a pretty spiffy QR mount. Not sure whether it's actually manufactured in SA or made in China exclusively for SA, website's kinda ambiguous about that. Anyway makes me wonder whether Nitefighter might be able to implement XP-L in the BT70 form factor any time soon.
    The problems with lamps like this is that the optic is a one-piece multi- optic. That means if you want a different beam pattern you have to find a different one piece optic. The reason I like lamps with separate optics is that you have the option to mix and match optics to create a beam pattern to suit your personal taste, something hard to do with one piece multi-optics.

Judging from this beam shot ( below ) the XP-7 lamp has way too much light in the foreground and not near enough throw. With a lamp this powerful you should be able to see trail details at 300 ft. Now with a hybrid mixed optic you might have something worth putting on the bars ( if they made such a thing ).

Its coming, its finally coming, BT....-xp7-beam-test1.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yeah Cat that is one of my pet peeves about mutiple array optics as well. Fortunately LEDiL makes them in a variety of beam angles, from a 4x 17 for XP-G2 in the Angie series that would fit the Nitefighter BT40S up to the 7x 41 Anna in either XP-G2 or XP-L for the BT70 size lamp. Trick is finding a distributor!

Led lighting - Products | Ledil

Led lighting - Products | Ledil

Anyway my current solution is just to mix two different lamps on the bars, one with a wide beam aimed down for Low Beam and a spot projected more toward the horizon as High Beam. Realize that is not a viable option to those who lack either the budget or necessary real estate on their bars. Am lucky in that my outdated bikes can hold more lamps than I could ever need; with today's tapered carbon bars can be difficult just to mount a single one.