Issue with Jet Light F3 -- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Issue with Jet Light F3 -

I have an older Jet Lite F3 that I absolutely love, the battery seems to last forever and it has a tiltable helmet mount with quick release.

All of a sudden when I insert the battery into the light and start to screw in the end cap the light lights up immediately upon contact and when I screw the end cap in all the way there is no light. I get intermittent light between the end cap touching and screwing it down but more I screw in the end cap the less the thing wants to work.

I tried using a pencil eraser and some alcohol to clean the contacts. No luck.

It is a battery issue or symptom that the light is ready for the boneyard. Or is there a fix I may be missing...

Great light but problem is Jet Lites is out of business...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newking View Post
    I have an older Jet Lite F3 that I absolutely love, the battery seems to last forever and it has a tiltable helmet mount with quick release.

All of a sudden when I insert the battery into the light and start to screw in the end cap the light lights up immediately upon contact and when I screw the end cap in all the way there is no light. I get intermittent light between the end cap touching and screwing it down but more I screw in the end cap the less the thing wants to work.

I tried using a pencil eraser and some alcohol to clean the contacts. No luck.

It is a battery issue or symptom that the light is ready for the boneyard. Or is there a fix I may be missing...

Great light but problem is Jet Lites is out of business...
    ...and so it is. I'm thinking it has something to do with the end cap. That is where the switch is. Looks like it works like a standard torch with a reverse clicky switch, at least that's my thought after watching a clip on youtube of the light being reviewed. I've had some of my cheaper torches do the same thing and in those cases just replacing the end cap did the trick. You might be able to disassemble the end cap but if you can't find replacement parts you're not going to be able to fix it. You can try to find someone selling an old F3 but likely there aren't too many of those out there.

At this point it might be easier to just find a replacement. The F3 is basically just a standard 18650 torch with a built on Gopro mount. There are many good torches out there that make for a decent helmet light. Not many with Gopro mounts but if you use something like one of these perhaps will work and allow you to use a standard 18650 torch. I don't own one of these mounts myself but I plan to buy one to try out. I own several excellent 18650 torches and would love being able to use one with a Gopro mount system.

Other options; ITUO Wiz-1, I have one of these and it is Gopro mountable. I have the version that works with a 26650 cell but also works with 18650 cell if you use an adapter. Likely it would be heavier than your F3 but if you use with an available ( see Orbtronic batteries ) 5000mAh 26650 cell you would get excellent run times. Wiz-1 uses a NW ( neutral white ) emitter so that might play into whither or not it would work for you.
    Gemini Xera Flashlight; NW XM-L2 U4. Uses an optic rather than a reflector. I've not seen one in action so I can't comment about what kind of beam pattern it has. If it uses one of the Gemini spot optics than I would probably like it. Once again though, it will not be Gopro mountable unless you use an adapter.

mtbr member
    Thanks I tried a new battery and did not work, played with the push putting spring cap a bit and no luck. Guess I got my money's worth after using the light 7-8 years. Looking at a few different options for helmet mount with removable 18650 batteries for spare power.

mtbr member
    Thanks I tried a new battery and did not work, played with the push putting spring cap a bit and no luck. Guess I got my money's worth after using the light 7-8 years. Looking at a few different options for helmet mount with removable 18650 batteries for spare power.
    Years ago I tried to fix one of my torches with a button / switch problem. After I torn it apart I pretty much saw there was no way to fix it unless I ordered the proper part and had some good "third hand" tools for soldering and such. In my case it was just easier and cheaper to just buy a new torch host ( button switch cap included ) since those were using LED drop-in modules and the module easily swapped to another drop-in host.

I'm going to order the GoPro torch holder I posted up before. I should get it sometime next week. I already have a Gopro helmet mount for my helmet so when it comes I'll try it out and let you know how it works. Right now whenever I use a torch on the helmet all I have to do wrap some electrical tape around a short section where the battery is and then sit the torch on top of the helmet and use a piece of Velcro through my vents to hold it down and it stays put, no problem. The aim is perfect too, not only with my older cheap Chinese torches but also works great with my newer Convoys S2 and M1. The thing is my helmet is like almost 20yrs old. An older Bell helmet. I don't even know what model it is because all the writing has worn off of it. I'd love to buy a new helmet but I'd hate to lose the ability to mount my torches, hence I keep using the old helmet. If this cheap Gopro torch mount works I'll then feel free to start shopping for a helmet compatible with my current GP helmet mount. ( or a helmet with a built-in GoPro mount )

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    ....The F3 is basically just a standard 18650 torch with a built on Gopro mount. There are many good torches out there that make for a decent helmet light. Not many with Gopro mounts but if you use something like one of these perhaps will work and allow you to use a standard 18650 torch. I don't own one of these mounts myself but I plan to buy one to try out. I own several excellent 18650 torches and would love being able to use one with a Gopro mount system....
    I just got this mount in today. No time to take a pic as I'm already late for work but this works well with my ITUO helmet Gopro type mount. Of course how well this works depends on the position your helmet allows. I found it works best when mounted more toward the center of the helmet but depends on the torch being used and how much it weighs. If I mount mine more near the front the weight of the torch ( and battery ) makes it feel like the helmet is unbalanced. Not to mention when in use the torch sits about 1.25" off the helmet. This ups the center of gravity so to reduce sway it helps to keep the mount more to the center of the helmet.

I'll try to do photo when I come home tonight. Otherwise I think this mount will work fine and allow easy on the fly adjustment, a big plus.

mtbr member
    I went with a Gemini Xera Flashlight 950. It's super light small for the light it puts out.

It has one of those rubber band style helmet mounts that lock down the secure flashlight holder. Rode with it last night and it was super secure and did not move around at all.

Good light much brighter than the Light and Motion Urban 850 I am running on the bars.

Only rode for 1 hour so did not test run time but I will keep a spare Panasonic 3400mAh NCR18650B flat-top just in case.

mtbr member
    I went with a Gemini Xera Flashlight 950. It's super light small for the light it puts out.

It has one of those rubber band style helmet mounts that lock down the secure flashlight holder. Rode with it last night and it was super secure and did not move around at all.

Good light much brighter than the Light and Motion Urban 850 I am running on the bars.

Only rode for 1 hour so did not test run time but I will keep a spare Panasonic 3400mAh NCR18650B flat-top just in case.
    Cool. I look forward to your review. I'd like to know what type of beam pattern the Gemini Xera torch throws, distance of throw and does it have programmable modes?

Anyway, below is my helmet with the new Gopro torch holder / extension I bought. The helmet mount is my ITUO Gopro type helmet mount. First photo is with my BLF-A6 which I use occasionally for Mountain biking. The second photo is with my new PFlexpro Convoy M-1, super thrower for road or MTB.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Issue with  Jet Light F3 --gopro2.jpg  

Issue with  Jet Light F3 --gopro1.jpg