Interbike News - LED Lights- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Interbike News - LED Lights

From dirt rag - http://www.dirtragmag.com/gallery/v/...ay4/?g2_page=7

"Jet tells us the production version will offer four output levels ranging from 800 to 2250 lumens. This single-LED head unit cranks out so much power that it's fan-cooled."

http://www.dirtragmag.com/gallery/v/...f+25_.jpg.html

That does not sound right to me. What LED puts out 2250 lumen? Of course they do make white LED now that put out up to 6000 lumen:

http://www.luminus.com/content1454

Maybe a CBT-90-W LED package "800 lumens (6500K at high efficiency) or up to 2200 lumens (6500K at full output)"?

Hey troutie, where is your CSM-360-W light?
    Last edited by syadasti; 09-28-2009 at 04:45 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Baja Designs Strykr LED

Baja Designs is a company known by many for motor sports accessories over the last 16 years. Their first entry into the cycling world comes in the form of the 700 Lumen Strykr LED light. This bomber light is waterproof to 33 feet, features spot and wide beam reflectors, and weighs just 540g. Best of all it retails for $299.

http://www.dirtragmag.com/gallery/v/...f+75_.jpg.html

Light freak

New L&M

No details, just stumbled across the pics

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I saw the L&M at dirt rag too - http://www.dirtragmag.com/gallery/v/...f+90_.jpg.html

" Light & Motion Seca

Offered in 400, 700 and new 900 lumen levels, for serious off-road use. "

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by syadasti
    Baja Designs Strykr LED

Baja Designs is a company known by many for motor sports accessories over the last 16 years. Their first entry into the cycling world comes in the form of the 700 Lumen Strykr LED light. This bomber light is waterproof to 33 feet, features spot and wide beam reflectors, and weighs just 540g. Best of all it retails for $299.

That's our baby. I wish I could have made it to Interbike. Maybe next year. It's time to send one to mtbr for a review.
    Contact us with your video production needs.
    [email protected]

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    700 lumens! blah, like the joystick on steroids

I was looking at the joystick but at only 240 lumens it didn't seem powerful enough but I was looking for something to go on my helmet with no cables, I got the dinotte 400l, which is nice and pretty light weight but 700 lumens and no cables?!

**Edit** NM, only 1 hour run time on high haha, someday! just have to wait a couple more years for technology to advance

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by iRoNeTiK

I was looking at the joystick but at only 240 lumens it didn't seem powerful enough but I was looking for something to go on my helmet with no cables, I got the dinotte 400l, which is nice and pretty light weight but 700 lumens and no cables?!

**Edit** NM, only 1 hour run time on high haha, someday! just have to wait a couple more years for technology to advance
    BR Light has had a dual MCE, no cables, true 1000 lumen, Li Po, 2+ hr run time light - C2-K - for about a year now and it was brighter than the all the other LED lights in the MTBR test (including the Lupine Betty which cost 3 times as much, only the 30W Motorcycle HID light was brighter) - http://www.brlights.com/stats.html

http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/br-lights-c2-k/

mtbr member

That does not sound right to me. What LED puts out 2250 lumen?
    SST 90 W 2250lm
    http://www.luminus.com/content1504

Some cool stuff coming out!

These single emitters are probably the way forward. Why would you fiddle with 7 XP-G when 1 SST90 will do the job? ... though I think the 50 is much more practical.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Yeah I guessed it was one of the 90s in my post. Someone should make a 360 series light

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    BR Light has had a dual MCE, no cables, true 1000 lumen, Li Po, 2+ hr run time light - C2-K - for about a year now and it was brighter than the all the other LED lights in the MTBR test (including the Lupine Betty which cost 3 times as much, only the 30W Motorcycle HID light was brighter) - http://www.brlights.com/stats.html

http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/br-lights-c2-k/
    Yeah, put THAT on your helmet...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by iRoNeTiK

3 hours on medium. I have another "700 lumen" light and I rarely use it on max.
    3 hours is perfect for the daily after work rides - and the mount is brilliant, just snap in and go.
    That said, I'm still curious about the beam it produces. I'm afraid it's going to be too narrow, just like the Joystick.

mtbr member
    Baja Designs Strykr LED

Picked one of these up at the show, looks really solidly designed and for the price is stellar with all the design details.
    2.5 hour charge time, 4 light settings offering up to 12 hours run time, multi level battery use indicator, a processor that monitors the temp at the bulb and reduces its power when you've stopped and the airflow is reduced to prevent over heating, extra batteries are reportedly going to retail at $109, and lifetime warranty on the bulb assembly. My first impression is that these lights will really open up night riding to those who don't want to spend the huge bucks other lights demand.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Anything from Lupine?

J.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80
    Anything from Lupine?

J.
    +1

The had a booth at Interbike, and are slated to have a virtual booth here on MTBR, but so far I've seen nada.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinS
    Picked one of these up ( http://www.dirtragmag.com/gallery/v/...f+75_.jpg.html ) at the show, looks really solidly designed and for the price is stellar with all the design details.
    2.5 hour charge time, 4 light settings offering up to 12 hours run time, multi level battery use indicator, a processor that monitors the temp at the bulb and reduces its power when you've stopped and the airflow is reduced to prevent over heating, extra batteries are reportedly going to retail at $109, and lifetime warranty on the bulb assembly. My first impression is that these lights will really open up night riding to those who don't want to spend the huge bucks other lights demand.
    Is this another system with the switch on the battery ? What LED is it using? Nice that it comes with the two optics. Looks a little big to use on the helmet but should be fine on the bars. The web site ad mentions that the mounting system moves horizontally and vertically. Does this mean there is a mechanism on the mount that moves vertically or that the mount ( itself ) moves up and down? There is a big difference. ( BajaMike, feel free to chime in at anytime..)
    So Martin, what kind of beam pattern and throw is this putting out? Does this look like 800 lumens to you and if so, what other light system are you comparing it with. Buyer beam shots would be a big plus.

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80
    Anything from Lupine?

J.
    I thought you would be more interested in DiNotte

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I know what Dinotte was doing already.

So, nothing from your buddies at Lupine, eh?

j.

BBW
    mtbr member
    I'm always looking to see whats new but I'm not in the market for a light and wont be since I'm too happy with what I want. 2 Lupines.... nothing better to ask for

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I hear they were there but nobody has posted up any details. C'mon people, let's see some light action. Surely something cool happened besides the BR Lights clunker (actually a nice light and tough too but I'm not putting that heavy clunker on my bar). I guess there were too many cool bikes to worry about any bike light coverage?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    I hear they were there but nobody has posted up any details. C'mon people, let's see some light action. Surely something cool happened besides the BR Lights clunker (actually a nice light and tough too but I'm not putting that heavy clunker on my bar). I guess there were too many cool bikes to worry about any bike light coverage?
    Actually BR Lights dual MCE system is lighter, brighter, and 1/3 the price of Lupine's Betty. 79 grams lighter - 406 grams (actual) vs 485 grams (claimed) for Betty. Lying to yourself won't change that
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Wow, 406 grams on the bar. That sounds like a lot of fun.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueMountain
    Wow, 406 grams on the bar. That sounds like a lot of fun.
    406gm on the helmet...even more fun....

This application is endorsed by the American College of Chiropractic

mtbr member
    You can balance them by putting one on each side of the helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel

BBW
    mtbr member

LMAO

Powered by ice cream.
    +1

The had a booth at Interbike, and are slated to have a virtual booth here on MTBR, but so far I've seen nada.
    I stopped by the booth for a chat. They said they had nothing new.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    They were being coy.

stay tuned.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do
    Is this another system with the switch on the battery ? What LED is it using? Nice that it comes with the two optics. Looks a little big to use on the helmet but should be fine on the bars. The web site ad mentions that the mounting system moves horizontally and vertically. Does this mean there is a mechanism on the mount that moves vertically or that the mount ( itself ) moves up and down? There is a big difference. ( BajaMike, feel free to chime in at anytime..)
    So Martin, what kind of beam pattern and throw is this putting out? Does this look like 800 lumens to you and if so, what other light system are you comparing it with. Buyer beam shots would be a big plus.
    I can only answer a couple of questions so far, I charged it up last night and checked it put in my densly treed back yard, the beam looks pretty even in its spread without any noticeable dark spots, for the price, quite reasonable. The claimed lumen output is 700 lumens. The light switch is on the light housing itself, and uses a multi colored lit up ring around the button as a battery level indicator. I have a friend with a Light and Motion Seca 700 and I'm hoping to compare beams soon. Also I would agree with the size being a bit too big for a helmet mount.
    I'm pretty sure that the vertical adjustment is just moving the mount, the horizontal looks like it uses a rubber o ring on the mount screw to offer resistance but I haven't yet mounted it up - bringing up the other 'issue' - the mount is not a quick release, it uses two zip ties to hold the albeit funky and otherwise well designed rubber bar clamps (4 sizes) to hold the light mount in place.
    I wouldn't say this is a light that a serious 24 hour racer would use due to it's weight, that being said I will be handing it over to a serious solo racer to test out and possibly race test down in Moab to get his impressions.
    This is a reasonable light for someone who is looking to have fun with while night riding without spending a ton of dough, though some sort of quick release would be helpful. Talking to the guys at IB I got the impression that they are very interested in customer feedback and I wouldn't be surprised to see the light system continue to evolve to address concerns, and judging by their current pricing, I imagine that upgrading/purchasing different mount systems in the future will be reasonable.

ed; I will try to get some pics of the beam up soon!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinS
    I can only answer a couple of questions so far, I charged it up last night and checked it put in my densly treed back yard, the beam looks pretty even in its spread without any noticeable dark spots, for the price, quite reasonable. The claimed lumen output is 700 lumens. The light switch is on the light housing itself, and uses a multi colored lit up ring around the button as a battery level indicator. I have a friend with a Light and Motion Seca 700 and I'm hoping to compare beams soon. Also I would agree with the size being a bit too big for a helmet mount.
    I'm pretty sure that the vertical adjustment is just moving the mount, the horizontal looks like it uses a rubber o ring on the mount screw to offer resistance but I haven't yet mounted it up - bringing up the other 'issue' - the mount is not a quick release, it uses two zip ties to hold the albeit funky and otherwise well designed rubber bar clamps (4 sizes) to hold the light mount in place.
    I wouldn't say this is a light that a serious 24 hour racer would use due to it's weight, that being said I will be handing it over to a serious solo racer to test out and possibly race test down in Moab to get his impressions.
    This is a reasonable light for someone who is looking to have fun with while night riding without spending a ton of dough, though some sort of quick release would be helpful. Talking to the guys at IB I got the impression that they are very interested in customer feedback and I wouldn't be surprised to see the light system continue to evolve to address concerns, and judging by their current pricing, I imagine that upgrading/purchasing different mount systems in the future will be reasonable.

ed; I will try to get some pics of the beam up soon!
    Hi Martin,
    Thanks for the feedback on our light. We appreciate you taking the time to comment on it. This being our first mountain bike light, we definitely want as much feedback as possible. I will be at 24 hours of Moab renting and demoing the Strykr. For anyone that can make it, please stop by our booth and check it out.
    Now for more info on the Strykr. To answer what type of led we are using it is the Cree MCE. It also uses a thermistor to monitor LED temperature, and a microprocessor to run the LED as bright as possible for the amount of airflow the heat sink sees. The processor will maximize power levels when the light is in motion and ramp back power when it is static (or there is no airflow). This ensures the greatest amount of light when you need it and preserves the life of the LED. This is why we can offer a life time warranty on the light.
    The light has four modes. Hi, medium, low and strobe. Run times are 3,6,12 hours respectively. Battery status is indicated by two glowing rings. One on the rear of the light and one on top surrounding the on/off button. At high power, the bezel grows green from 3 to 1-1/2 hours, flashing green from 1-1/2 hours to 30 minutes, yellow from 30 minutes to 10 minutes and flashing red at less than 10 minutes of battery life remaining. This can also be seen under water if you happen to go diving with it. The light and battery are water proof up to 33feet. We also offer and arm mount, head strap mount and two different helmet mount kits.
    The standard bike kit comes with a spot and driving lens. I prefer the driving pattern for slow twisty trails and spot for faster more wide open terrain. As Martin commented the light is larger side. This is mainly due with the size of the reflector. The use of larger optics is done to provide greater lighting efficiency. A hard coated and o-ringed lens protects the computer optimized reflector. The light measures just under 2.25" wide by 3" long and weighs in at 172 grams. The total weight with the battery is 520 grams.
    As far as adjustment goes the Strykr can be adjusted both vertically and horizontally. Having two planes of adjustment is great especially if you don't have flat bars and your light is mounted on an angle. Vertical adjustments are done by rotating the base mount on the bar either forwards or backwards. The base mount zip ties onto your handle bar with one of four different rubber spacers.
    Horizontal adjustments are done by loosening the adjustment nut on the base mount and rotating the light left or right. The adjustment nut threads through the base mount into the bottom of the Strykr. Sandwiched between the light and the base mount is a special friction o-ring that will give under pressure, allowing the light to turn if it is hit from the side. Once tighten down the adjustment nut will not vibrate loose. Though technically not quick release the light can be unscrewed from the base mount in about three seconds.
    If anyone has any more questions or comments please let us know.
    Last edited by Bajamike; 10-07-2009 at 09:22 PM.
    Contact us with your video production needs.
    [email protected]

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    Who did you talk too...?

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    Who did you talk too...?

C'mon Todd spit it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW
    C'mon Todd spit it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    We did a very large video and photo shoot with MTBR, which will be added to the "Virtual Booths". Keep an eye out there, it's too much info for me to start explaining everything here on a forum...