Input please: Xeccon Spiker 1210 vs the Nitefighter BT70- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Input please: Xeccon Spiker 1210 vs the Nitefighter BT70

Currently have a Xeccon Spiker 1210 and am happy with it. Thinking of upgrading to a new light, waited for the MTBR light shootout to come out to see what was new and reasonable but nothing on there appeals to me.

How does the new Nitefighter BT70 compare as far as brightness and battery life? Seems like a lot of you are impressed with this light if one can get their hands on it.

I'd be using it mostly as a headlamp but would also use it on the bars at times.

Input appreciated
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time.

RAKC
    Bt70 is discontinued, too many technical issues I gather. Plus being big and bulky the mount doesn't hold up.

Nitefighter bt21 is the best of the night fighters for output and durability. Bt40s is good but some arent happy with the output.

Xeccon has some nice lights (sogn) series, also alot of good lights at action led.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    well cr*p, I obviously have my model #'s incorrect. Nitefighter bt21.. how acccurate are the specs/lumen rating?
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TomFL View Post
    well cr*p, I obviously have my model #'s incorrect. Nitefighter bt21.. how acccurate are the specs/lumen rating?
    Good luck getting one. I had one on order at two different companies, both showing "in stock" when I ordered them. After waiting weeks for them to actually ship I gave up and canceled my order. I ended up ordering the Spiker 1210 and received it in less than a week. I am happy with it so far.

As far as you wanting to try something different you might want to check out the new Gemini lights.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    ^^Like this guy says...
    I ordered a BT21 and a BT40 from Gearbest.
    Got the 40 fast....but it has not been all that and a bag of chips ( see the BT40 thread)
    Got a email saying the 21 was b/o'd...a few days later, another emails saying they don't know when they'll be in and I can order something else or get a refund to my Gearbest wallet. No thanks.
    I'm going to hit Action-led or Xeccon/mtbrevolution

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    So are the Gemini lights true to rating as far as lumens? I'd like to get something higher in lumens than the Xeccon, particularly if I'm going to pay ~2X as much for the light...

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Hey Tom! I'm a believer in Xeccon lights from Mtbrevolution. I think you can probably see a small gain in performance with the really high end Gloworm or Nightrider lights, for example, but I think you're splitting hairs at some point. I also believe that at some point the glare from too much light can become a hindrance, so while lumens are great and make a great "spec story," there's more to it in my experience.

I love it that these guys here on Mtbr.com tinker with the cheapo lights, and review pretty much everything. It's how we got the cool Vancbiker mounts, and learned about the differences in lenses, cheapo light builds, etc. However, I also think the tinkering and playing around with the cheapo's is a form of entertainment for them. I ride at night 2/3 of the time, so I want something that is going to work reliably, not be too heavy, and not be so expensive that I can't buy that new stem, cassette, or whatever else I want to spend my bike money on.

I would use your experience with your existing light, and reach out to Mtbrevolution and let Leonard know what you're wanting and see if he can provide a solution at a reasonable cost. Heck, if he doesn't have it, he'll even steer you toward another alternative, even if it's another company!

I sound like a commercial for Xeccon and Mtbrevolution, but I just can't imagine a better experience or product for what you're paying, and I'm a picky consumer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Decided to stay with Xeccon as I've been really happy with the Spiker 1210 and I think there is a ton of value there for the price.

I wound up ordering a Sogn 700 as a bar light, should be here in a few days.

I think with the Sogn on the bar and the Spiker on the helmet I should be set for anything.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Hey Tom, Did you run your 1210 on the bars as your only light? How do you think it would work in that application. The 1210 looks pretty large to run on the helmet, any concerns there?
    thx-c
    Early bird may get the worm.... but the second mouse gets the cheese.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I've been running the 1210 as a helmet-only light for a season and honestly it's not large or even an issue at all. I love it. Tons of light, and the battery lasts a long time. 2 other friends are running them as well.

I do like having a bar light also so I've been running a pair of magicshine lights that I bought back in 2010 and they're still going strong. I run them both off 1 battery with a Y-cable. Hoping the Sogn 700 will be a big improvement there.

I have ridden with just the Spiker 1210 on the helmet many, many times and it is plenty bright alone for fast XC night rides. My issue is my eyes aren't what they were 20 years ago, and all the guys I ride with have powerful lights, so at times there are lots of shadows in front of you from all the lights behind. I like enough light to get rid of all those shadows, so the bar light kinda fills in the voids where you're not directly looking.