I'm stuck as my lighting experience is lacking.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

I'm stuck as my lighting experience is lacking.

After getting a new job (on shifts) I 'm spending alot of nights staying awake when changing to the night shift. So I've started night riding and I'm starting to really enjoy it.

When I first started one of my friends who no longer rides due to injury gave me a set of Knightlite halogens, 10W + 5W which were ok...ish. I''ve since modified them using a pair of 6V 12AH batteries wired in parrallel to get 24AH at 6V and uprated the lamps to 2x15W halogens getting 4.5hrs+ of burn time when both lamps are on.

I'm thinking that now I might bin this setup and buy some more efficient and lightweight lights (as 2x lead acid batteries weighs a fair bit) but I'm struggling because I'm new to buying headlights.

I don't really have a budget but i dont want to spend more than 350 and I think I have narrowed my choices down to 3 sets:-

1. Hope Vision 4 LED Endurance
    2. Trail Tech MR16 HID
    3. Exposure Maxx-D

My criteria was:- long burn time 2.5hr+, must be at least 900 lumen and be lightweight.

Out of these 3 which would you guys recommend?

Or could you recommend another set to compete with these 3 that fits my criteria?

Its got what plants crave
    No experience with the Hope or Exposure, but the Trail Tech is *HUGE* in terms of size. I like the Exposure because of integrated battery and no wires, but it's limited to bar mounting right? Plus, it's pretty pricey. Is there a reason you aren't considering one of the Magicshines?
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    like i said i have little experience with bike lights so totally open to experience. In fact i've only had the cast off ones i have now and a comuter light about 4 years ago so i'll consider anything.

Are the magicshines good?

Its got what plants crave
    For the money it is hard to beat a Magicshine. The closest competitor in terms of brightness and run time will easily run you 250+ dollars or more. Some question their construction and materials, and say they are on the cheap side, but for 80 dollars you have a killer light setup that puts out enough light for most people, and you can find parts, batteries, and chargers for pretty cheap unlike most of the other major manufacturers. If your light head craps out, buy another for 40 bucks. If your battery craps out, buy another for 35. I'm not saying there aren't some great higher end options out there, but I question whether the price is justifiable for what you get. Ultimately that's up to you to decide.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    i've hard a really good look and i could get 3 systems (2 on the bars and one on my head) for the price of one "named" brand. might be worth a punt!!!

ballbuster

I was gonna say...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    For the money it is hard to beat a Magicshine. The closest competitor in terms of brightness and run time will easily run you 250+ dollars or more. Some question their construction and materials, and say they are on the cheap side, but for 80 dollars you have a killer light setup that puts out enough light for most people, and you can find parts, batteries, and chargers for pretty cheap unlike most of the other major manufacturers. If your light head craps out, buy another for 40 bucks. If your battery craps out, buy another for 35. I'm not saying there aren't some great higher end options out there, but I question whether the price is justifiable for what you get. Ultimately that's up to you to decide.
    This pretty much has become the 'Magicshine or those who have endless cash to blow on bling lights' forum.

That new triple beam Magicshine 1400 light looks like its way off the hook.

Now, as long as you understand that the Magicshine 900 does not really kick out 900 lumens, you'll do fine. It still kicks out way more light than many of us need, or even want.

It's kinda like car stereo amplifiers that say they do 1000 watts. They really do 400 watts, which is still a whole heck of a lot.

I run one MS900 on the bar, one on the helmet, and its is way more than enough. I actually run them on the lower settings most of the time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I'm digging my Baja Designs Stryker. 700 (real) lumens and $300 US. And yes, I knew about the Magicshine before I ordered my Stryker.

It is rated at 3, 6 and 12 hrs runtime depending out the mode selected. I can't confirm, but probably fits the bill for the 2.5 hrs requested.

The measured light is pretty interesting. Putting together this table really helped me select the Stryker:

Light, Price, Claimed Lumens, Measured LUX
    Dinotte 200L $200 16
    Dinotte 400L $400 25
    Magicshine MJ-808 $100 900 37
    Niterider Pro 600 $500 600 46
    Exposure MaxxD $400 960 48
    Lupine Tesla 4 $420 700 52
    Baja Designs Stryker $300 700 52
    Light and Motion Seca 700 $550 700 52
    Light On! 900 $475 900 57
    Dinotte 800L $400 800 60/55 (conflicting reports)
    HID Technologies Lumen8r Quad $500 1000 60
    Lupine Wilma 5 $460 920 66
    NiteFlux Max Extreme 20 $480 1350 70
    Dinotte 1200L $480 1200 81
    TrailLED Darkstar $420 1200 81
    Niterider Pro 1200 $649 1200 82
    Light and Motion Seca 900 $650 900 95

Note based on this chart, the Exposure Maxx-D has nowhere close to 900 lumens. More like 646 lumens. (These numbers suggest the MS is probably a shade under 500)

It may not be quite as cheap as the Magicshine, but considering the quality and the real output, I think the Stryker is probably one of the best values out there after the MS.

My posts (with pics) about the Stryker:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=599576
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=601083

The Seca 900 was tempting because of the beam pattern and 900 measured lumens, but it wasn't clear it was worth the price difference. The Nightrider Pro 1200 also looked good, but the heavy battery seemed less than optimal.

Good luck!

-john

Links
    Dinotte 400L http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/dinotte-400l/
    Dinotte 800L / 1200L http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=855E-WbYBAU
    L&M Seca 900 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JLaxeqaLHM
    L&M Seca 700 http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/light-a...a-race-review/
    Light On! 900 http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/light-on-900/
    Baja Designs Stryker http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/baja-de...ht-pro-review/
    Magicshine MJ-808 http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/magicshine-mj-808/
    Last edited by ccfoodog; 04-21-2010 at 05:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Magicshine Lights Review (MJ-808 and MJ-816)

I just got my Magicshine 2300 combo from GeoManGear and have posted a fairly lengthy review here:

http://www.pedal-for-charity.com/rev...agicshine.html

Hope you guys find it helpful! ~L

mtbr member
    i have the exposure maxxd and a magic shine. the exposure light is clearly superior craftsmanship and no cable is a hige plus. that said, the magicshine beam is almost as good. however, the battery and cable SUCK and you still need to get decent velcro straps. i am confident my exposure could take a hard fall and equally confident my magicshine could not take a hard fall.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I'm an electrician and so understand how the lighting industry works...i.e the BS. It really annoys me that the lighting companies sell you products based on the light leaving the light rather than the light reaching the floor.

I was toying with the idea of building my own system but then realised that the cost of getting the bits would be nearly as much as just buying one.

I think I'm going to give the magicshine a go. inparticular the 2300 pack looks very good value for money. After postage to the uk and the exchange rate its going to cost roughly 160 (the hope vision 4 costs 299...its a no brainer really).

ballbuster

Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by sam_roberts30
    I'm an electrician and so understand how the lighting industry works...i.e the BS. It really annoys me that the lighting companies sell you products based on the light leaving the light rather than the light reaching the floor.

I was toying with the idea of building my own system but then realised that the cost of getting the bits would be nearly as much as just buying one.

I think I'm going to give the magicshine a go. inparticular the 2300 pack looks very good value for money. After postage to the uk and the exchange rate its going to cost roughly 160 (the hope vision 4 costs 299...its a no brainer really).
    Please chime back in with real world results and beam pics! Can't wait to get some feedback on this guy from the real world.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    just ordered a set of the 2300's. They should be here in a week as long as the volcano doesnt erupt again and the airports stay open. When they arrive i'll have a ride up into the yorkshire dales with them and give them a good thrashing with a review with pictures to follow.

Members who have read this thread: 0