I want a quality light, but not a chinese crapper.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2015

I want a quality light, but not a chinese crapper.

I want to start night riding. And I need a light. But, I don't want to buy a chinese crap light. I want something that is a well made quality light.

And I want it bright. And I also want a helmet light.

What are my options? Budget wise, I am willing to spend some money on a good one, but I don't want to spend $300 on 1 light either.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I also want something that will last a good while. I don't want the batteries to die after 1 hour.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Start with the official mtbr light review
    2016 Bike Lights Shootout: Headlights - Mtbr.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Check out action-led-lights.com. The Gemini products are a really good value. An Olympia for the bars and Duo for your helmet will be more than most would need. This combined set up is $349. Or to save some cash a pair of these brand name lights (duo) will set you back $298. If you want really long run times their battery upgrade is only an extra $30 for high end battery packs.
    Last edited by indebt; 12-14-2015 at 05:04 PM.

mtbr member
    I run a Magicshine MJ-816-L2 Triple Beam light on my bars and a Magicshine MJ-808-L2 on my helmet. Together they are perfect. The 816 acts as a flood light and the 808 as a spotlight. Reasonably priced as well.

Name:  mj_816_1_f238e4cd-c9f8-48ae-94c7-f0278f7a7a3b_large.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  49.1 KB

Name:  MJ-808_large.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  24.4 KB
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29 | Garmin 520

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    go after the expensive Exposure MaXx D or Six Pack.

RAKC
    Both give good advise. Gemini and Xeccon are the 2 best options.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine View Post
    I want to start night riding. And I need a light. But, I don't want to buy a chinese crap light. I want something that is a well made quality light.

And I want it bright. And I also want a helmet light.

What are my options? Budget wise, I am willing to spend some money on a good one, but I don't want to spend $300 on 1 light either.

Thanks!
    A Chinese light is only crap if it doesn't work or doesn't last over a year. Good batteries you can buy anywhere. If you buy two name brand lamp sets you will pay way more than $300. I suggest buying at least one good name brand lamp and one or two cheaper lamps with an aftermarket good battery. Here's a suggestion> Gloworm X2 or Gemini Duo on the bars and then buy a cheap Solarstorm X2 ( with XM-L2 U2 emitters ) for the helmet. Buy one of the new Panasonic 4-cells from Kaidomain ( see thread ) for the SStorm and you should be good. Kaidomain sells the Solarstorm X2 ( lamp head only ) as well.

Note; If you want "neutral LED's " both Gloworm and Solarstorm offer both Cool white or neutral white emitters.

Note II; Solarstorm lamps have a screw sleeve on the connector. They will still work with a good battery using standard connectors. Or...you can order a good battery from Hunk Lee with the SStorm connector. Of course if using on the helmet you might need an extension cable....not sure I've seen them with SStorm connectors but the standard work fine. I use a standard extension with a SStorm XT40 without any problems.

RAKC
    Yinding is the other good Chinese option. Im leary of solarstorm these days as the thermal designs of these latest batches have been pretty poor. If you can find a good one your gtg though.

Light freak
    How about a light built by a fellow cyclist? Been building lights for over 7 years now and stand behind every one of them. I can also upgrade any light that I have ever built to the latest and greatest LED's

I want a quality light, but not a chinese crapper.-poc-helmet.jpg

I want a quality light, but not a chinese crapper.-unnamed-1-.jpg

mtbr member
    Ignoring the Chinese cheapo lights (which I have and love) can't go wrong with niterider. self contained battery, decent runtime considering it's self contained, usb charged, handlebar mount. Not sure what helmet mount options are available, but I'm sure niterider has something.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    I'll second what Cat says, but go Yinding with Panasonic pack for the helmet (with finned aluminum GoPro mount). AND checkout scar's lighthead for the helmet (or two scar lights). I just have no idea how much his cost.

-Garry
    "My Bike Lights" Thread on BLF teardowns, measurements, and beamshots. Moving my photos, PM or post up if you can't see them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by garrybunk View Post
    I'll second what Cat says, but go Yinding with Panasonic pack for the helmet (with finned aluminum GoPro mount). AND checkout scar's lighthead for the helmet (or two scar lights). I just have no idea how much his cost.

-Garry
    Garry I would have recommend the Yinding as well but I just don't trust Gearbest anymore.

I like turtles
    Action-Led, look at the Gemini lights. Can get a nice dual-light set up for under $300.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

mtbr member
    I use a NiteRider Pro 2600 Enduro Remote on my bars, and a NiteRider MiNewt 350 on my helmet. Honestly, they're super freaking reliable, easy to use, awesomely built, and LAST.

Super high quality construction on the Pro series lights. When my Budget allows, I'm going to replace my MiNewt 350 with a Pro-Series 750-1200 single lamp light. My 2600 Enduro is wicked bright, and lasts a really really long time on a single charge too. I have nothing but good things to say about NR Lights.
    You in Oklahoma City? If yes, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    You could check out dinotte at the top of the page too. Not sure why they dont get mentioned more. Mine's been going strong for almost 5 years now. Excellent beam pattern and usa made. Ok price.

RAKC
    Quote Originally Posted by BigHit-Maniac View Post
    I use a NiteRider Pro 2600 Enduro Remote on my bars, and a NiteRider MiNewt 350 on my helmet. Honestly, they're super freaking reliable, easy to use, awesomely built, and LAST.

Super high quality construction on the Pro series lights. When my Budget allows, I'm going to replace my MiNewt 350 with a Pro-Series 750-1200 single lamp light. My 2600 Enduro is wicked bright, and lasts a really really long time on a single charge too. I have nothing but good things to say about NR Lights.

Op didn't want to spent near that much on lights.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    You could check out dinotte at the top of the page too. Not sure why they dont get mentioned more.
    I agree. I think 3 years ago? I bought a 400L and an 800L. I think Dinotte is pretty great. Of course those lights are very dated now and don't provide the amount of light I want anymore... So now I either buy new Dinotte lights, or go some other route...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding View Post
    I agree. I think 3 years ago? I bought a 400L and an 800L. I think Dinotte is pretty great. Of course those lights are very dated now and don't provide the amount of light I want anymore... So now I either buy new Dinotte lights, or go some other route...
    They offer upgrades and trade ins. I'd contact them, and see what they'll do. Worth an email or phone call anyway.

mtbr member
    Xecon is another good Chinese brand. I have this one:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-...-l-811501.html

RAKC
    I dont consider xeccon a straight up Chinese brand. Not like magicshine, fenix, etc. Xeccon is primarily handled in Australia, designed by those guys. Just like most things anyway, made in china. I always recommend them over magicshine for that reason (and ive dealt with them, great company to deal with).