i made the plunge- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006

i made the plunge

OK so before i get raped with its price. I know the value of this light isnt there, but its product stands for itself if you can afford it.
    Ill start by saying ive been riding on a light and motion arc lion the last 3 seasons, and this year things have been good and i decided for buy the lupine betty 2 from gretna bikes. I love my light and motion as the the light spills very wide and is addequately bright. The lupine has been shipped and should be arriving at my door any day now. I will post a after 1st night ride review when i take it out. I cant wait. As ive only had a nightrider storm and the light and motion arc lion, these are the only 2 lights ill be comparing it to. See you in a few days for a full review

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Which Betty II did you get?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by lukel90
    OK so before i get raped with its price. I know the value of this light isnt there, but its product stands for itself if you can afford it.
    Ill start by saying ive been riding on a light and motion arc lion the last 3 seasons, and this year things have been good and i decided for buy the lupine betty 2 from gretna bikes. I love my light and motion as the the light spills very wide and is addequately bright. The lupine has been shipped and should be arriving at my door any day now. I will post a after 1st night ride review when i take it out. I cant wait. As ive only had a nightrider storm and the light and motion arc lion, these are the only 2 lights ill be comparing it to. See you in a few days for a full review
    Do you happen to know if the 22degree optic option is available yet as i've been patiently waiting to order for my Betty 2???

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    the 22degree optic lens is not available as of yet but is coming shortly. from what ive heard the light itself spills out enough light for a 22 degree lens. as for which one did i get the betty ll 7. 1850 lumens, 129g. should be here thursday if im correct..

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    so its in.. First impressions are this thing has some build quality. Mostly metal (titanium head) metal charger one just has a quality feel to it. im comparing it to my arc lion and it does feel more rubust. the fact that the light is basically infinately adjustable to the levels i want it to run is a big bonus to me. i can go on 3-5 hour rides with as much light if not more then the arc lion. But im sure u guys want to know how bright is it.

Its really hard to explain, i thought the arc lion was plenty of light and it is, but when i clicked on the betty at 100%, honestly my first reaction was just silly giggling. this thing is BRIGHT. the youtube videos and mtbr review ones dont really do it justice. it has to be seen in person.simply amazing for its size. its hard to imagine something brighter....

So the charger is great and programmable, the head unit feels solid and light enough to be helmet mounted. The package it comes in is nicely equipped with a car charger, bunch of adapters, its really a full on great kit.

The down side most people will say is the cost and not much value, but if u can afford it....you wont regret it..i promise. The head unit is bigger then i thought it would be, much bigger then that of the arc, but its lighter i think...gotta love them germans

Not really sure how good the mounting system is yet as i havent taken it out of good trails yet, but simplicity seems to work here i think.

Before i end this i want to say thanks to bill from gretna bikes. I thought we had a bit of a shipping issue and he himself called usps for me and cleared out the so called issue that wasnt one at all. personally called me to explain the situation which was a surprising level of service on his part. BIG thumbs up to you bill and your staff at gretnabikes.com. Oh and for this little inconvienience the shipping issue was, bill threw in a headband and a little .7 backup battery to cover the shipping cost difference. Most companies would just say you got the light thanks and goodbye, but bill went out of his way to satisfy his customer..I will definatley shop again at gretna. Just classy people. period.

In conclusion, BRILLIANT light no matter the cost, at this point im not even thinking omg i have a 1000 dollar light on my bike. i just wish i knew how to post comparison pictures between the arc lion and the betty, its like comparing old halogens to hids...god i love this light

BBW
    mtbr member
    Congrats!
    You know, you shouldn't feel bad about getting the Betty.... you should feel bad if you spend another 600$ because you want to have another Lupine as a head light (Wilma or Tesla)

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

... and if we just ...

so its in.. First impressions are this thing has some build quality. Mostly metal (titanium head) metal charger one just has a quality feel to it. im comparing it to my arc lion and it does feel more rubust. the fact that the light is basically infinately adjustable to the levels i want it to run is a big bonus to me. i can go on 3-5 hour rides with as much light if not more then the arc lion. But im sure u guys want to know how bright is it.

Its really hard to explain, i thought the arc lion was plenty of light and it is, but when i clicked on the betty at 100%, honestly my first reaction was just silly giggling. this thing is BRIGHT. the youtube videos and mtbr review ones dont really do it justice. it has to be seen in person.simply amazing for its size. its hard to imagine something brighter....

So the charger is great and programmable, the head unit feels solid and light enough to be helmet mounted. The package it comes in is nicely equipped with a car charger, bunch of adapters, its really a full on great kit.

The down side most people will say is the cost and not much value, but if u can afford it....you wont regret it..i promise. The head unit is bigger then i thought it would be, much bigger then that of the arc, but its lighter i think...gotta love them germans

Not really sure how good the mounting system is yet as i havent taken it out of good trails yet, but simplicity seems to work here i think.

Before i end this i want to say thanks to bill from gretna bikes. I thought we had a bit of a shipping issue and he himself called usps for me and cleared out the so called issue that wasnt one at all. personally called me to explain the situation which was a surprising level of service on his part. BIG thumbs up to you bill and your staff at gretnabikes.com. Oh and for this little inconvienience the shipping issue was, bill threw in a headband and a little .7 backup battery to cover the shipping cost difference. Most companies would just say you got the light thanks and goodbye, but bill went out of his way to satisfy his customer..I will definatley shop again at gretna. Just classy people. period.

In conclusion, BRILLIANT light no matter the cost, at this point im not even thinking omg i have a 1000 dollar light on my bike. i just wish i knew how to post comparison pictures between the arc lion and the betty, its like comparing old halogens to hids...god i love this light
    Yes!! congrats are in order. The simple mounting works well,just did a midnight ride with some buddy's down some steep rocky/rooty technical single track at limb cracking speeds and the light stayed where i put it.You will love this investment as i do,i went a bit further and added the XPG Wilma for my helmet and,,,,,,i don't feel bad about it!! Didn't pay the advertised prices though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt
    You will love this investment as i do,i went a bit further and added the XPG Wilma for my helmet and,,,,,,i don't feel bad about it!! Didn't pay the advertised prices though.
    I guess that's how you got your login name

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

... and if we just ...

Ouch!! the truth hurts.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    please dont give me ideas..lol...currently i have the betty 7 and the arc lion on the helmet. ill switch them around to see which setup works better. went for a pretty good ride last night. for the owners of the betty, how hot does your lamphead get, mine was much hotter then the arc lion, almost to the point of i couldnt touch it. any response would be helpful from betty owners.
    I cant say it enough, i love this light. i just stare at it in my room when its not on my bike its so good looking..lol....

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    please dont give me ideas..lol...currently i have the betty 7 and the arc lion on the helmet. ill switch them around to see which setup works better. went for a pretty good ride last night. for the owners of the betty, how hot does your lamphead get, mine was much hotter then the arc lion, almost to the point of i couldnt touch it. any response would be helpful from betty owners.
    I cant say it enough, i love this light. i just stare at it in my room when its not on my bike its so good looking..lol....
    The lamp head in my experience only got that warm when i too was playing around with it in the back yard when i first got it.That been said it onlt takes just a few miles an hour to keep the lamp head fairly cool in my demegrafic,but much cooler here eight months a year in Whistler B.C..I programed mine for just two settings,the low beam i set to 35% for climbing and when riding behind other riders as to not create to much shadowing.If your riding in 90 degree weather i would save the high beem for higher speeds even though there is a sensor that will power down the light for you when it gets to hot to protect the emitters.CHEERS!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    i have mine at 100 55 and 35%. the 55 is brighter then light and motions arc..ahhhh whistler.... you guys have real trails over there, too bad housing is sooo damn expensive. been there once absolutely loved it, you guys are spoiled..lol

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    i have mine at 100 55 and 35%. the 55 is brighter then light and motions arc..ahhhh whistler.... you guys have real trails over there, too bad housing is sooo damn expensive. been there once absolutely loved it, you guys are spoiled..lol
    Yeh,housing is up there.Trails are awesome for every kind of riding,just to many bears and cougars best to ride in groups in summer.Anyway time for you to go put some milage on your bike light,ENJOY!!

Members who have read this thread: 0