Hunk Lee battery won't charge.- Mtbr.com
    Land of the 230+

Hunk Lee battery won't charge.

Hello all, I just picked up a small hunk lee battery for my helmet light, and I cant seem to get it to charge through the regular round connector. I am trying to charge it using both a NightFighter charger, as well as a solarstorm charger.

Am I supposed to use the smaller rectangular connector to charge? I thought it was a balance connector, but it seems to only have two leads.

Here is the light in question:
    7 4V Li ion Battery 2600mAh by Samsung 26F MagicShine Bike Light Waterproof 2S1P | eBay

Thanks for any suggestions...

mtbr member
    That rectangular connector must be a balance connector. Do you have a meter to measure voltage with? Can you confirm measured voltage on the pack? (Caution don't short your leads! Best to use another end plugged into your pack which has ends exposed to take measurements.) Can you confirm your other chargers work? Measure output voltage on those to confirm more than just the green/red led lights up?

Most likely a broken connector on the Hunk Lee pack. Do you mind opening up and checking? Just be careful not to short anything.

-Garry
    "My Bike Lights" Thread on BLF teardowns, measurements, and beamshots. Moving my photos, PM or post up if you can't see them.

Land of the 230+
    This battery initially worked fine for about an hour and got me through the woods one night, but it went out while the helmet was perched on the back of my cars trunk, and we were enjoying some post ride refreshment. I just figured the battery went into protect, but now I'm not so sure.

I'm showing 0 volts at both the round connector as well as the "balance" connector. Not sure how it could balance with only two wires though.

Plugging the battery pack in shows zero status on two known good chargers. It does not even sense a battery is being plugged in. These chargers routinely charge my other packs, so I know there good. I may break out my hobby/lipo charger and try that, but I think its pretty pointless since the pack is showing 0 volts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Probably, broken contact (e.g. due to poor soldering) or fried protection PCB. You'll have to open the pack to check that.

As for second connector - it looks like separate charge input, not balancing. You can discard it during repair.

Land of the 230+
    Thanks for the reply. I'm leaning towards fried protection board, since the light cut out with the helmet sitting on the trunk of my car, and not during a ride, or when being jostled around.

I wouldn't think an un-modded SSX2 would be too much draw for the board, especially on medium.

I contacted hunk lee and he suggested cutting open the shrink wrap as well. I don't mind tinkering so long as it doesn't void the warranty.

Land of the 230+
    Pulled it apart and I dont see any broken solder joints, or obvious fried traces on the PCB. I see 7.0 volts across the B+ to B- solder pads. I see 0V at the connector leads. Wrote back to hunk lee, and will await further instruction.

The second connector is confirmed a parallel set of leads soldered to the same pads.

Land of the 230+
    Uggh... It was a cold solder joint. I heated both battery joints back up just for the heck of it, and now it will charge. I guess when I was testing, the pressure from the DMM probe was enough to make the connection, but when the pressure was gone, the joint separated. Glad its sorted and was an easy fix.

mtbr member
    Glad to hear you got it sorted out!
    -Garry
    "My Bike Lights" Thread on BLF teardowns, measurements, and beamshots. Moving my photos, PM or post up if you can't see them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitsBoy View Post
    Uggh... It was a cold solder joint. I heated both battery joints back up just for the heck of it, and now it will charge. I guess when I was testing, the pressure from the DMM probe was enough to make the connection, but when the pressure was gone, the joint separated. Glad its sorted and was an easy fix.
    I was going to tell you that if you were repairing the output connections on the battery that it might be a good idea to just replace the crappy Hunk Lee standard MS connector. However that was before I noticed ( from your link ) that the battery you bought looks to be using a ( Hunk Lee ) connector of a type that I've not seen before. I'm assuming this a MS type connector (?). If it is, how do you like it and does it provide a tight connection? The original Hunk Lee MS type connectors were kind of cheap and had no outer protective sleeve on the plug. I put a piece of shrink wrap on the one I have but it still doesn't provide a really tight fit with the lamps I use. I would replace the connector on mine but I really don't use the Hunk Lee two-cell battery that much so I'm willing to just let it be for the time being.