How susceptible to water damage is the Magicshine 900?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 37 of 37
  1. #1
    keeping it dirty
    Reputation: intoflatlines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    409

    How susceptible to water damage is the Magicshine 900?

    I will probably buy a Magicshine 900 in the very near future, but first I'd like to know if any of you have experience with water damage with it. I try not to ride when it's raining but sometimes I can't help it. I'm not really expecting it to work after being submerged in water, but will it hold up if you're out in the rain?

    Edit: I originally made this thread because I emailed GeoMan and didn't get a response yet (or so I thought).. Turns out his reply was in my spam folder somehow, where I was told that the light head itself is pretty water resistant but that the battery pack isn't as weather resistant as the new 1400 pack. I'd still like to hear if any of you users have something to add here though!

  2. #2
    .
    Reputation: jonz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    921
    The battery is the issue. You probably want to do something to protect it.

    This is the sweetest approach that I have seen:Plastic Dip

    Also will depend on where you're going to carry your battery. I ride with helmet mount MS900, with battery in my Camelbak. - This offers a plethora of ghetto solutions, ie throw the battery in a zip lock bag.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    529

    1400 battery pack compatible with 900?

    I would think that the 1400 battery pack is not compatible with the 900(single) light?
    Would be a nice switch to use the 1400 battery pack.......
    Goatman
    - It's not the destination that counts but how you get there -

  4. #4
    It ain't easy being Green
    Reputation: sdcadbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,197
    Yes, you can use the 1400 batery with the 900 head; it's basically the same electronics in a different case.

    The light head is very waterproof; the 900 battery not so much I used silicon sealant on mine and keep it in my jersey pocket; a camelbak leaked all over it on one ride, 50oz of gatorade, no problem. It would be better to "dip" it though.

    Read through the threads on this forum; pretty much any questions you have will be answered.

  5. #5
    keeping it dirty
    Reputation: intoflatlines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    409
    Thanks!

    I think I'll do the Plastic Dip treatment when I get mine.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    529

    I dipped it

    I used Plasti Dip and it is an elegant solution.
    Just a VERY tight fit into little supplied rollup bag as I used 2 undiluted coats...
    Probably better to add some kind of solvent to thin it out a little.
    Goatman
    - It's not the destination that counts but how you get there -

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    752
    It's an interesting combination of which Magicshine components are and are not waterproof.

    MS900 Head - Waterproof
    MS900 Battery - not so much

    MS1400 Head - not so much due to wire passages to side lights
    MS1400 Battery - Waterproof

  8. #8
    GeoMan
    Reputation: GEOMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,706
    Hey MtbMac, you have reached the same conclusion as us, that's why there's something coming to GeoManGear next week called the 900 Plus. We wanted the best available option for our customers to address potential water resistance issues with the 900 battery.

    Quote Originally Posted by MtbMacgyver
    It's an interesting combination of which Magicshine components are and are not waterproof.

    MS900 Head - Waterproof
    MS900 Battery - not so much

    MS1400 Head - not so much due to wire passages to side lights
    MS1400 Battery - Waterproof
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

  9. #9
    Who are the brain police?
    Reputation: Locoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,111
    Quote Originally Posted by GEOMAN
    Hey MtbMac, you have reached the same conclusion as us, that's why there's something coming to GeoManGear next week called the 900 Plus. We wanted the best available option for our customers to address potential water resistance issues with the 900 battery.
    Can you elaborate on the "Plus"? Does it address anything else other than waterproofing?



    .
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

  10. #10
    GeoMan
    Reputation: GEOMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,706
    For now the 900 Plus will be the 900 lightset with the 1400 battery. We have been inundated with new customers asking for this combination ever since the 1400 was released. We continue recommending improvements to the manufacturer on a regular basis.

    Quote Originally Posted by Locoman
    Can you elaborate on the "Plus"? Does it address anything else other than waterproofing?



    .
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TwoHeadsBrewing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,949
    I have had the MS900 since last October, and ordered it from GeoManGear.com. After reading some info about the light, it was apparent that the battery pack needed to be waterproofed somehow. I did this by taking the pack out of the fabric pouch and wrapping several layers of electrical tape around the entire unit. I focused especially on where the wire comes out of the pack. I have commuted to work all winter long and in the rain, and it hasn't failed me yet.

  12. #12
    GeoMan
    Reputation: GEOMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,706
    Nice, yes there have been some very successful mods, glad to hear you are getting some good use out of that lightset

    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing
    I have had the MS900 since last October, and ordered it from GeoManGear.com. After reading some info about the light, it was apparent that the battery pack needed to be waterproofed somehow. I did this by taking the pack out of the fabric pouch and wrapping several layers of electrical tape around the entire unit. I focused especially on where the wire comes out of the pack. I have commuted to work all winter long and in the rain, and it hasn't failed me yet.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

  13. #13
    keeping it dirty
    Reputation: intoflatlines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    409
    GeoMan, do you have a price on the 900 plus yet? I was actually going to place an order for 2x MS900 kits today but if a 900 Plus is coming out in the next few days I will wait..

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    239
    I have a MS900 plus plastidip and it's as waterproof as any other waterproof battery you're thinking of paying for.

  15. #15
    GeoMan
    Reputation: GEOMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,706
    Yes the 900 Plus will be up on the site next week, price will be $94.99 for the complete lightset. We will be adding this lightset to the other packages, 2300 Combo and 900 Racers Package as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by intoflatlines
    GeoMan, do you have a price on the 900 plus yet? I was actually going to place an order for 2x MS900 kits today but if a 900 Plus is coming out in the next few days I will wait..
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

  16. #16
    GeoMan
    Reputation: GEOMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,706
    Lots of folks seem really happy with this mod, it seems to do the job nicely

    Quote Originally Posted by J_Hopper
    I have a MS900 plus plastidip and it's as waterproof as any other waterproof battery you're thinking of paying for.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

  17. #17
    GeoMan
    Reputation: GEOMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,706

    900 Plus

    This is what the 900 Plus lightset looks like in the box, apologies for the basic photo, they arrived late this afternoon, we'll get some better pics up on our site next week
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How susceptible to water damage is the Magicshine 900?-900-plus-004.jpg  

    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    30

    For now??? Does that mean

    900 plus for now has the 1400 battery...does that means there's a 900 plus in the works with the stepless control?????

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    30
    Also wondering why the 1400 has such a long cord, when recent 900s had a shorter one. I'm thinking of putting it on a road bike, and the cord seems like it will be a pain to deal with since I won't be using much of it.

    And oh yeah, while we're on the subject of New Improved Magicshines...any plans to get the 1400 head so it's waterproof?

  20. #20
    GeoMan
    Reputation: GEOMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,706
    Hey SBeach, the cord on the 1400 is longer to give folks options for mounting the battery in bottle cage or seatpost. We'll keep moving forward with the manufacturer on improving the MS products. For now we wanted to offer a more durable and water resistant option for the all conditions riders, racers and commuters, hence the 900 Plus.

    Quote Originally Posted by SBeachBiker
    Also wondering why the 1400 has such a long cord, when recent 900s had a shorter one. I'm thinking of putting it on a road bike, and the cord seems like it will be a pain to deal with since I won't be using much of it.

    And oh yeah, while we're on the subject of New Improved Magicshines...any plans to get the 1400 head so it's waterproof?
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    34
    Just curious...how much bigger/heavier is the 1400 battery compared to the 900 battery? The reason I asked is on the Geo website it looks a lot bigger.

  22. #22
    GeoMan
    Reputation: GEOMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,706
    Here's a comparison of 900 and 1400 packs for you, the 1400 is definitely more bulky but a trade-off for the improved water resistance over the 900 battery, inside the cannister it's the identical pack to the 900. The closeups on our site make everything look huge compared to real life. Weight without the covers is 200g for 900 and 320g for 1400, weight with cover is 210g and 350g respectively. To put it into perspective my iPhone weighs 140g, so neither of these batteries is considered heavy compared with the older 700g NiMh batteries we were lugging around a couple of years ago

    Quote Originally Posted by punkaccountant
    Just curious...how much bigger/heavier is the 1400 battery compared to the 900 battery? The reason I asked is on the Geo website it looks a lot bigger.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How susceptible to water damage is the Magicshine 900?-battery-comparison.jpg  

    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EBasil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,123
    That newer battery packaging looks like a good upgrade. I'm not having concern over water (dab of silicone was easy) but the floppy nature of the gen 1 battery bag is kindof rinky-dink.

    Say, what about those "similar" units in colors, ie Red, that were on the site recently? Will the MS 900 be available from Geoman in colors?

  24. #24
    GeoMan
    Reputation: GEOMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,706
    Yes the 900 Plus is getting great feedback due to the improved out of the box water resistance, we also find the neoprene cover with mounting strap to be far more desirable. We can have the colored units produced but have to commit to large numbers of units in a specific color. The one thing about black is it goes with just about everything which is why we haven't ventured down the colored unit route previously.

    Quote Originally Posted by EBasil
    That newer battery packaging looks like a good upgrade. I'm not having concern over water (dab of silicone was easy) but the floppy nature of the gen 1 battery bag is kindof rinky-dink.

    Say, what about those "similar" units in colors, ie Red, that were on the site recently? Will the MS 900 be available from Geoman in colors?
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TwoHeadsBrewing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,949
    Not to threadjack, but do you have any plans to make a tail light for commuters?

  26. #26
    GeoMan
    Reputation: GEOMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,706
    Hi Twoheads, we are in the process of confirming that our shipment of tailights has left the factory overnight and is enroute due here late next week. We received a partial shipment last week that included the 900 Plus but were really hoping that the tailights were included with them. Here's a pic of the production sample tailight lighthead we have been testing, I used it just lastnight, it's no joke
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing
    Not to threadjack, but do you have any plans to make a tail light for commuters?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How susceptible to water damage is the Magicshine 900?-ms-tailight.jpg  

    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    30
    Geoman - Pricing on tail light?

  28. #28
    GeoMan
    Reputation: GEOMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,706
    Extremely competitive! We want to make sure it performs exactly like our production sample before we put the price on it. We have ordered in complete tailight sets and also have just the lightheads following on for those who just want to add a Y-cable and share batteries and chargers with their existing headlights, it's such a great feature that the MS products work interchangeably.

    Quote Originally Posted by SBeachBiker
    Geoman - Pricing on tail light?
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tzvia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    144
    Great! I've been lurking here, trying to read up on rear lights as I am looking for something better in a rechargeable that puts out more than the standard AAA stuff. Does the MS rear light put out enough to be a viable visible daylight rear light? Also am looking at a MS 900 for the bar and I can then put my Stella on my helmet, with a better blinkie in back, for commuting. Can't wait to order it all together.
    Tzvia.

  30. #30
    GeoMan
    Reputation: GEOMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,706
    Definitely, it's seriously bright, we really hope we can have them up on the site next weekend.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tzvia
    Does the MS rear light put out enough to be a viable visible daylight rear light?
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    46
    Ok Geoman no joke, you have a production sample in you hands... You need to let us see some video of the thing in action. Convince me with a vid an I'll pre order the thing.

  32. #32
    GeoMan
    Reputation: GEOMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,706
    I'm heading out tonight for a solo nightride and will be riding to the trailhead so I'll use the sample tailight and see if the video on my iPhone picks it up.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris RX-7
    Ok Geoman no joke, you have a production sample in you hands... You need to let us see some video of the thing in action. Convince me with a vid an I'll pre order the thing.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

  33. #33
    GeoMan
    Reputation: GEOMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,706
    Tried the iPhone video last night, no good it couldn't focus on the light, sorry

    Quote Originally Posted by GEOMAN
    I'm heading out tonight for a solo nightride and will be riding to the trailhead so I'll use the sample tailight and see if the video on my iPhone picks it up.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

  34. #34
    POG
    POG is offline
    Pudgy Old Guy
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    535
    I actually like the 900 battery and the old battery cover better! Will they still be available? Quality improvement was okay but it went on too long.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by POG
    I actually like the 900 battery and the old battery cover better! Will they still be available? Quality improvement was okay but it went on too long.
    That's an interesting question. I liked the old battery better as well (lighter and smaller) and noticed that Geoman is only selling the 900 Plus systems now. Will the 1400 series battery now be standard so that the original 900 series battery will no longer be available?

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    329
    I've found wrapping the battery in cling film to be a good waterproofing solution for the earlier MS batteries. Cheap, light and readily available.

  37. #37
    GeoMan
    Reputation: GEOMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,706
    Quite some time ago we made requests to the manufacturer that the Series I battery be improved to help improve durability and water resistance. They released the Series II battery with the 1400 and we are still pushing hard to have a Series III battery that will be as durable as the Series II but more compact, lighter and feature improved mounting options. With continued support and feedback we hope the Magicshine products will continue to evolve for years to come. We continue to recommend that the newer products be compatible with the existing product line so folks can add to their lighting products without having to replace everything.

    Quote Originally Posted by punkaccountant
    That's an interesting question. I liked the old battery better as well (lighter and smaller) and noticed that Geoman is only selling the 900 Plus systems now. Will the 1400 series battery now be standard so that the original 900 series battery will no longer be available?
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.