How much light is not enough..?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

How much light is not enough..?

I was out last night and thought to myself (after a few comments from others) that I am just a "Light Whore"..

I still want more.. maybe my eyesight is getting dodgy but I want more, even more side vision, and even more fill in my depth; it is probably got as much to do with the fact that I am riding harder and doing so in some very unsmart places where there is much opportunity to hurt myself and the fact that after a year of 3300L my eyes have got used to it..

But you can never have enough light when you are off road..
    I am also beginning to think that although I have the Lumens, that maybe lens technology has not kept pace with optical technology.
    On road 400L-500L is plenty; plenty to be seen for sure and plenty to see; so I wonder if others who seek more are actually asking for more off road lighting (lumens) or for better use of those lumens?

Looking back at the various beamshots (and even allowing for the various exposure used for those shots)..

.. especially this one of mine, even allowing for the reflective nature of this road and the quality of the exposure (or lack of) is about 9 months old now.. and the light coverage is more to do with sheer numbers as opposed to optical quality..
    I am seeing that with a lot of the newer lights that although they have the lumens, the beam pattern seems to lack my idea of a great beam pattern and as such, more and more people are finding that just one light is not enough.

In the new rounds of up and coming lights, maybe we will see better use of convential reflector technology coupled with greater use of LED technology because if the Lupine Tesla can produce 700L with a decent beam pattern, then 4x P7's or better would be interesting.

mtbr member
    I think you are going to see a lot of companies come out with a multiple lens or optics choice on their lights, like one flood and one spot. I think there does come a point where too much light in the wrong place can be detrimental due to reflectivity, but I haven't found it yet

As far as multiple light sources I prefer it more for shadow definition then the ability to throw more light down the trail. I can put 2400 lumens down from a single light source, but would rather have 1900 from two light sources.

mtbr member
    Heres some nice beams.
    http://peterwhitecycles.com/headlights.asp
    How come the dyno lights predominantly have nice beam patterns while battery systems throw half the light into the sky?

mtbr member
    A lot of us don't think those are nice beams at all!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I've been asking myself the same question. There seems to be two tricks:
    a) As alredy pointed out, beam pattern is crucial and it's effectiveness depending on the terrain. In tight singletrack infested with rockgardens, too much light may blind you or create may shadows because of too much reflected light from obstacles and no need for throw.
    b) In nightriding , the surroundings are ....... Dark (there, i said it, praise me!!!). When looking around, off the trail, my eyes can see nothing (because of the light pollution right in front of me), with the helmet light usually being weaker that the bar light, so the brain sents a message craving for more light and more light makes the surroundings darker.......

Just my 2cents....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Giant-Lander
    ....looking around, off the trail, my eyes can see nothing (because of the light pollution right in front of me), with the helmet light usually being weaker that the bar light, so the brain sents a message craving for more light and more light makes the surroundings darker.......

Just my 2cents....
    So why look off trail? Too much light right in front you can be a problem... sometimes.
    I find that when I run 400L on the bars and 500L or more on the helmet I see just fine...unless the helmet light has too wide of a beam and lights up too much particulate matter floating around in the air. Of course this generally only happens during certain times of the year when the pollen count is really high or there is a high moisture content in the air. Still, this is one of the reasons I've always favored helmet lamps with a very tight hot spot with limited spill.. as I seem to run into those adverse conditions on a regular basis..

Members who have read this thread: 0