How much light do I need- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

How much light do I need

I am trying to decide on what lights to buy. It's been a few years since I did some heavy duty night riding. I was running Jet lites from about 8 or 9 years ago. What's a reasonable amount of light to look for lumens wise?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I would say run as much light as you can afford! I run the Baja Design systems, and there is PLENTY of light!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Most folks ideal light level is about 1 Sol

This is equivalent to 2 magicshines according to the deal extream marketing men

mtbr member
    About 1,5K lumens is enough for everything, but for most of the time 350 will be just enough.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The lumen value is only part of the answer. How those lumens are distributed is the other. I like a spot type beam with good throw on the bars and helmet. 1500 lumens combined (~1000 on the bars and ~500 on the helmet) in that beam type is plenty. That same 1500 lumens when spread out with a flood type beams will not throw far enough for fast riding. How good your night vision is will also have a big effect on how much light you need.

Too much light also spoils some of the "cool mysterious" feeling of a night ride IMO.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Vancbiker said it well Haystack Calhoun, It all depends on your ability and night vision. The fact you mentioned heavy duty night riding gives me an incling to may want lots of lumens. I would have to also agree that aprox 1500 OTF total lumens will be way more light than the hallegen Jet lights nine years ago, and unless your at race pace on your night ride should be enough output. I'm a lumen junky so for me the more the better to a point as you can always ride at med output and save the supernova for fast decents. Also remember when choosing your lights, a light with a floody beam pattern will not be as bright after 30 feet or so as a spot beam. I like a more flood style beam on my bars to light up my close range terrain, and a spottier beam on my helmet for more punch down the trail at higher speeds.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Otf?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    (O)ut (T)he (F)ront measured lumens after heat,reflector,and lens losses. Honest lumens!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    1.21 Jigawatts!

mtbr member
    Hi

This much?

More details here.

Andrew

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    ^^^ Are those automative batteries in back? ^^^

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I run a 500 lumen light made by Serfas and it's plenty for me

Wanderer
    I do fine with 600 lumens.

HTFU!
    I have done many, many night rides on loop trails that I am very familiar with, using a 230 (mostly spot/thrower) light on my helmet.
    Did a 24hr on a team with the same light.
    This year I did a 24hr solo using a bikeray III on the bars on low (~300 floody lumen) and a LED Torch on the helmet giving ~300 lumen (spot/thrower). For me, it was plenty.
    For unfamiliar trails, I might want more lumen on the bars, especially on technical descents. It seems there are two trains of thought: 1. Have as much light as you can. 2. Have as much as you need. Some people like to have the brightest lights on the trail and turn night into day. and others like to have enough light to safely navigate the trail, while still preserving the feeling and excitement of riding at night.
    Man, I just typed a long response just to get to the words of wisdom: It is personal preference. Borrow/Try some that might work and go from there. Night riding is a blast!
    Good Luck.
    I no longer deserve a signature. :skep:

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I've have lights that were 200 lumens, 400 lumens, 600 lumens, 800 lumens and now a combination that is 1500 lumens (all Dinotte and Lupine - so reasonably accurate measurements). Until I got to a true 1500 lumens, I've always wanted more. At about 1500 in a flood arrangement, I can go as fast as I want (<30mph) and anywhere I want with no problems. So, I subscribe to the 1500 lumens as Lupine measures them - OTF and with some integrity/consistency not the theoretical maximum provided by the LED datasheet but what you can get in real life. The vast majority of lights out there are really putting out almost fraudulent claims of how bright they are. Most run about half or less of what they claim to be putting out.

A *great* combination I think would be two Lupine Piko 3's with either both on the bar or one each on the bar and helmet. That, I think, would be a killer combination.

J.