How long do batteries typically last?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

How long do batteries typically last?

I've got a couple older Serfas lights (True 500 and 1500) from around 2013-ish. I haven't really used them too much. They still seem to hold a charge...but I don't know how long they would last. I mean I could just leave them on at full power and see how long the lights stay on. It there a quicker way to check how much charge they hold...or should I just save myself the trouble and just get new batteries?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    The only way to know how long they'll last is to try them, so why not try them and see? It wouldn't require a lot of effort or dedicated time.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    I've got a couple older Serfas lights (True 500 and 1500) from around 2013-ish. I haven't really used them too much. They still seem to hold a charge...but I don't know how long they would last. I mean I could just leave them on at full power and see how long the lights stay on. It there a quicker way to check how much charge they hold...or should I just save myself the trouble and just get new batteries?

Thanks.
    Likely they have lost some capacity over time but before you start going out for night rides you need to test the run time ( use a fan to cool the lamp ) or carry a back-up if you don't feel like watching over a lamp while it is being tested. ( run time test are a real PITA unless you happen to have a video camera set-up that can run for hours on end and display elapsed time in the video itself )

How well your battery packs have held up over time depends on what brand of cells were used. I still use battery packs that are at least 5 years old and they still work great. I do however always carry a back-up bar mounted torch just in case I either forgot to charge the pack or just run out of juice. Never, never get caught out in the woods at night without a back-up. That is CAt rule #1.