How fast does Magicshine charge?- Mtbr.com
    Cars Are Evil

How fast does Magicshine charge?

How fast does the Magicshine charge? I'm about to order a 900 Racer's Special with one extra battery. I'm wondering if I'll be able to recharge fast enough to be able to alternate batteries for a 12-hour overnight race this fall.

mtbr member
    IME, one battery takes about 4 hours to charge from an almost dead state (red light on). You could probably swap them back and forth to make it through the night but just to be safe, I'd grab another battery. Alternately, you could run the light on Medium or Low setting which would stretch your runtime.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    The charge cycle for li-ion batteries is very non-linear. They charge very quickly in the beginning and then the rate of charge tapers off exponentially as the battery approaches full capacity. In the beginning of the charge cycle, the magicshine battery actually charges at a faster rate than the discharge rate when the light is on high. So in theory, assuming a lap can be completed using 50% or less of the battery capacity (approximately 1.5 hours), you can go indefinitely if one battery is always on the charger. Even if the laps were 2 hours, you would easily make it through the night with 2 batteries.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I just received my Magicshine yesterday. When I plugged the charger into the wall, the red light came on. It remained on when I connected the battery to the charger. I thought after 4 hours or so, the light would turn green, but it didn't. So I left it charging overnight and it was still red this morning, and red when I disconnected the battery from the charger.

The battery was also never warm to the touch - it remained at room temperature during the charging process.

Have you guys experienced this, and did it necessitate a return to the shipper?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CoastieTX
    I just received my Magicshine yesterday. When I plugged the charger into the wall, the red light came on. It remained on when I connected the battery to the charger. I thought after 4 hours or so, the light would turn green, but it didn't. So I left it charging overnight and it was still red this morning, and red when I disconnected the battery from the charger.

The battery was also never warm to the touch - it remained at room temperature during the charging process.

Have you guys experienced this, and did it necessitate a return to the shipper?
    You have a bad charger, you need to get it replaced.

It's possible that the charger is actually working and just the indicator light is broken, but unless you have electronic test equipment to measure the charge voltage and current while the pack is actually charging, you have no way to know. It can actually be a safety issue if it's not working correctly.

Cars Are Evil
    Does the MagicShine battery pack contain an overvoltage/overcurrent protection circuit?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermont29er
    Does the MagicShine battery pack contain an overvoltage/overcurrent protection circuit?
    Yes, it has a protection circuit. I know it handles the voltage limits, but I'm not positive it handles current. I haven't done as much testing and circuit analysis on the protection PCB as I have on the other parts of the magicshine lights.

Members who have read this thread: 0