How can I revive my ARC Lithium Ion bike light?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

How can I revive my ARC Lithium Ion bike light?

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice.

I had my li-ion battery for my bicycle light in storage for 3 years, so it has probably deep discharged. It is a Light & Motion ARC with the following battery: (http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/9170.html).

From what I've read on the internet, people say it will be useless,and potentially dangerous to even recharge. But a new battery costs $230! Who knows, maybe it will still be ok?

If I can find out what cells this battery uses do you think I could replace them? I'm not even sure where I could buy them.

Or, provided I take safety precautions do you think it might be worthwhile just to fully discharge and then recharge and see what happens.
    Someone told me I could try to do a slow charge, but I don't know how to do that. I have the charger that came with the light, and it has a unique connector, and has no option for slow charge.

I'm an mechanical engineer by trade, so I'm not afraid to tinker with these things but I also don't know what to do!
    Any thoughts/suggestions would be warmly appreciated.

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    Just as an FYI, there is nothing special about the cable coming out of the light head. Just two conductors. If the battery really is toast (after 3 years, quite likely). Just cut off the proprietary connector, strip back the jackets. Red is positive, black is negative. Reassemble with your own connector of choice. However, this doesn't as readily work with the charger, with it's three wires. Easiest bet is to get a new battery+charger, and make what you've got to work. You still have the potential problem of either the bulb or ballast burning out, though, which is equally $$$.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JT102
    Hi all

I was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice.

I had my li-ion battery for my bicycle light in storage for 3 years, so it has probably deep discharged. It is a Light & Motion ARC with the following battery: (http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/9170.html).

If this is truly a Li-ion battery I would think there is a very good chance that the battery is still good. Li-ion batteries hold their charge a very long time and self-discharge at a very low rate. Matter of fact, Li-ion is best stored when at a lower charge. Seeing that the battery is three yrs old it will undoubtedly have lost some of it's capacity ( maybe about 20-30% ) but I would think it should still be able to give you a couple hours of good use.

I suggest that you carefully attempt to charge the battery, watching over it to make sure all is good. All Li-ion battery packs nowadays use protection. If something is wrong the PCB protection should kick in to cut the power off.

Now with all that said, you should be fine as long as you weren't storing the battery in a very hot environment. Li-ions don't like being stored in hot places.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Cool-blue Rhythm That man can do

Cat-man-do inspired me with his positive comments. When there's a will there's a way. Everyone else (I mean suppliers, experts, sales people) told me the battery was shot. Well, I decided to just give it a go. Charged it up, discharged, charged again a few times. No problems. Possibly a loss of 20-30% capacity.

I've no doubt the concerns over deep discharged lithium ion batteries are true e.g. possible explosions etc, I think this must be under extreme circumstances.

If you think about it logically, most consumers are not savvy enough to pull something out of their attic after ten years, and do the research like I have. So when they design such products, they always take stupid consumers doing extreme things with their products into account, for fear of lawsuits.

I should have realised this before and just tried it.

THe only other thing I thought about trying was to measure the voltage across the battery terminals, and check with the manufacturer or online as to whether this indicated any damage.

But at the end of the day, better to just suck it and see!

Have a nice day. THanks to all those who commented

Members who have read this thread: 0