How bad is it *really* to store your batteries fully charged?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

How bad is it *really* to store your batteries fully charged?

Just curious as I did it for the longest time and also because I don't always have the foresight to throw them on the charger the day that I decide to go night riding. Are we talking 10% less charge cycles or is the difference much greater?
    I care a little bit less now that mainly using individual cells rather than welded packs since the investment is a bit less, but I do have a few 6 cell packs that were a bit pricey and I'd like to take care of those

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    If you'd like classical way, store them in the fridge half-charged (or half-discharged, depending on your philosophy ).

I personally stopped doing that long ago, as battery prices aren't that high nowadays, they'll require replacement because of degradation anyway, and more importantly - I'm lazy.

For exact values of capacity loss & self-discharge impact, BatteryUniversity offer some ready to use information:
    How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University
    (look for Table 3: Estimated recoverable capacity when storing Li-ion for one year at various temperatures)

Elevating Self-discharge - Battery University
    (Table 4: Self-discharge per month of Li-ion at various temperatures and state-of-charge)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks for the links, now it makes a lot of sense why my gemini 6 cell packs got hammered so much faster than 4 cells. The 6ers were 4.35v cells so they won't have the lifespan of the 4.2, and additionally now I'm not too worried about storing them charged. If I even get 200 uses from the 20 dollar set of cells now it's still only 10 cents per ride. I can live with that

mtbr member
    Personally, I never "babied" my batteries. On the other hand I usually only charge them to full the day before a planned ride. Of course sometimes plans change unexpectedly and you end up with the battery on a full charge for another week. I never really worried about such things. I just buy new batteries every three or so years if needed. FWIW, I still have Li-ion batteries that I've had for over 5 years. While I wouldn't use them on long rides they still function as back-up or something to use if the house power were to go out for an extended period.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Yeah, I still had one of the old, recalled magicshine packs work well after tons of abuse until it corroded/rusted to the point of not working a few weeks ago. I'm not sure if this is from moisture or if one of the cells was venting

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The sickness has really begun. I always have either extra cells or extra battery holders now, and when I have all the holders full and no extra cells I don't know what to do with myself. In the past month I've bought 20 ncr18650b's , 2 pairs of protected ncr18650b's, and one pair of ncr18650pf. Now I just finished putting them in cases and I'm worried I don't have enough batteries. This is not including the 8 or 9 decent welded packs I have from xeccon, Gemini etc. It's a disease I tell ya! I'll probably only night ride enough in the next few months to use each pack once and I'm worried about losing a few hundred discharge cycles :/

I like turtles
    I always charge them as soon as I get back from using them so I store them charged...never had an issue. My GMG batteries lasted 3 years and just recently I started noticing a drop in capacity. I also top them off if its been a week since I used them (and charged them).
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF