How about Piko 3 (750) & Bikeray Ray III combo?- Mtbr.com
    Got a suspension fork

How about Piko 3 (750) & Bikeray Ray III combo?

Considering going with all new lights.

Thinking about the Bikeray New Ray III for the bar mounted light.

For the helmet light, something like a MS 900 would certainly do the trick, the new Lupine Piko 3 caught my eye, I think it's just awesome but could use a slightly larger capacity battery such that it had a 3 hour run time instead of 2 on high...

Any thoughts on these combinations?

Thanks.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by randyharris View Post
    Considering going with all new lights.

Thinking about the Bikeray New Ray III for the bar mounted light.

For the helmet light, something like a MS 900 would certainly do the trick, the new Lupine Piko 3 caught my eye, I think it's just awesome but could use a slightly larger capacity battery such that it had a 3 hour run time instead of 2 on high...

Any thoughts on these combinations?

Thanks.
    If it were me: Bikeray II for the bars ( P-7 D-bin ) and MS 808E ( Cree XM-L T-6 version ) for the helmet. All for about $200...OH! and if you go that route get the 808E from Geoman ( who sells the 808E with a true 3-mode...Hi...Med...low and includes the improved Geoman battery )

Got a suspension fork
    Cat, can you highlight why you would choose the BRII over BRIII for the bar light? I've not used either, but in digging around this forum and online in general I seemed to get the feeling that the III would make a great bar light - I'm interested in why you would prefer the II.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Cat, can you highlight why you would choose the BRII over BRIII for the bar light? I've not used either, but in digging around this forum and online in general I seemed to get the feeling that the III would make a great bar light - I'm interested in why you would prefer the II.

Thanks.
    It's just my personal preference. The BR III is not bad. It has a nice wide beam and works very well at illuminating stuff close to the bike but the beam pattern only carries so far. Since I sometimes ride with the helmet light off, I like the beam pattern to carry a little farther. The BR II which uses the P-7 D-bin emitter is almost as bright as a light using an XM-L. Since it is using a reflector rather than optics like the BR III, it will throw the light a bit farther. In a nut shell, the BR III is good for close stuff but the BR II lets you see a little farther, hence my personal preference. If you're using a good helmet light and use the Bikeray III as a bar light at the same time none of this matters.

mtbr member
    Xm-L on the noggin for sure, and the Ray lll on the bars, I ran that combo for a couple of months works great, nice and floody up close and that XM-L spotlight to target all that stuff in the distance.
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakuman View Post
    Xm-L on the noggin for sure, and the Ray lll on the bars, I ran that combo for a couple of months works great, nice and floody up close and that XM-L spotlight to target all that stuff in the distance.
    Whatcha running now?

mtbr member
    These on my bars

Combined with my helmet =

3 Magicshine XM-Ls
    Magicshine XM-L 1000 Lumen Lightset 6.0Ah [MS XML GMG 6.0] - $129.95 : GeoMan Gear, The best products, the best prices, & Lightnin Fast service!
    2 on the bars with simple mods and 1 stock on the helmet

That is a gallon water jug at 100 ft

Got a suspension fork
    Rakuman, with your experience on both lights, in spite of the fact that you are now running MS and not BR, I would appreciate your opinion.

How would you rate the BRIII and MS XML against each other in terms of:

Build Quality
    Light Output, pattern, flood, throw, color, etc...
    Charger
    Battery

mtbr member
    Rakuman, with your experience on both lights, in spite of the fact that you are now running MS and not BR, I would appreciate your opinion.

How would you rate the BRIII and MS XML against each other in terms of:

Build Quality
    Light Output, pattern, flood, throw, color, etc...
    Charger
    Battery
    Apples and oranges BRlll is a flood and XM-L is a spot unless you mod it like I did

build between the 2 brands are comparable

light out put apples and orange you cannot compare they are in different categories

chargers and battery's I buy all my lights from Geoman so I'm using MS chargers,
    and Geomans new battery's which are premium grade

Like my post above I liked the BRlll paired with a XM-L on the lid, But its hard to beat 3 XM-Ls

mtbr member
    Here are some beamshots as you can see 2 completely different patterns

Bikeraylll

MS XM-L

Ya I took a boatload of beam shots the other night

Got a suspension fork
    Thanks for those beam shots Rakuman - just the type of info I was hoping to see.

btw - I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a Lupine Piko 3, but with a 5Ah battery instead of the standard 2.5Ah. (I will soon have a brand new Lupine 2.5Ah battery if anybody is interested...).

Dan over at GretnaBikes.com was very informative and helpful. I could have taken the less expensive option of something like a MS for the helmet light. But I opted for the Lupine, regardless of price it seems to be a great little package. And I both road and mtb a lot by candlepower, I like the idea of this small lightweight helmet light for use on road by itself, and for mtb with the addition of a handlebar light.

Not time yet to get a new handlebar light, but I do like the look of the BikeRay III.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Hi randyharris,if you not in a hurry for a bar light and want very high quality,and based on your Piko purchase sounds like you do, Shannon at Bajadesigns will soon have several new offerings.Two that i'm aware of are XML versions of their Stryker series. Stryker II,and the Stryker SL. Claims of 1000OTF lumens and no price increase,as well as narrow/wide lens options.Would be a high end combo lasting you for years.Cheers!!!

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt View Post
    Hi randyharris,if you not in a hurry for a bar light and want very high quality,and based on your Piko purchase sounds like you do, Shannon at Bajadesigns will soon have several new offerings.Two that i'm aware of are XML versions of their Stryker series. Stryker II,and the Stryker SL. Claims of 1000OTF lumens and no price increase,as well as narrow/wide lens options.Would be a high end combo lasting you for years.Cheers!!!
    Good to know thanks. One my buddies has both a Stryker and a Stryker pro and they are very nice lights.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Rakuman, those are some pretty self descriptive beamshots. Nicely done! Definitely run the double on the bars. Are those with the dual fishnet mods?

indebt, thanks for sharing the new upcoming BD offerings. Would the Stryker II be the regular Stryker with the XML optic and the Stryker SL be the Pro model but with the XML optic? I'd love to hear more...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Chromagftw, both the Stryker II and the Stryker SL will come with wide and narrow reflectors for the XML's.I dont believe there are any esthetic changes from the original body's.There will however be a new quick release mount for the Stryker's.I wonder what new models are comming though as i couldn't get that info? Looks like Baja is stepping it up!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chromagftw View Post
    Rakuman, those are some pretty self descriptive beamshots. Nicely done! Definitely run the double on the bars. Are those with the dual fishnet mods?
    That is the notched and screen pattern combo but after doing beamshots they are both equal in throw and spill, so from now on I'm going to use a pair of the net patterns I like the look better.

Got a suspension fork
    So the Lupine Piko came in the other day, wow what an impressive light. Very nice quality construction, tiny light head and small battery. Operation is simple and easy, and it has a fantastic amount of light in what I find to me a good beam pattern. I can't imagine a nicer helmet light. Thanks to Bill over at GRETNA BIKES.com LLC, LUPINE North America for helping me with my pre-sales questions.

mtbr member
    Rakuman,
    Did you see the beam shots using the "Action LED wide angle" lens for the MS's?? Looks pretty impressive vs. the Rob lenses. I didn't check the EXIF data on the photos but if they look this good using the standard MS P-7's with the MS 808E's it should be even better!

Got a suspension fork
    I'm not in a rush for the bar light, think I'll wait for the Baja Designs Strykr II to come out and see how it fairs. They seem to have a nice package and very high quality builds.

I was reading through the water leak issues on the BikeRay IV, wow what a mess.

The MJ-872 sounds interesting but then I see some guys here in Phoenix are having overheating issues with it. That makes me think the MJ-870 with a flood lens may be a better option.

Too many choices, good I suppose but confusing.

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Rakuman,
    Did you see the beam shots using the "Action LED wide angle" lens for the MS's?? Looks pretty impressive vs. the Rob lenses. I didn't check the EXIF data on the photos but if they look this good using the standard MS P-7's with the MS 808E's it should be even better!
    That action led wide angle looks stunning, anybody try that lens with the 808E XML light?

mtbr member
    That action led wide angle looks stunning, anybody try that lens with the 808E XML light?
    I know this is a little bit of a delayed reply, but I have the 808E and I have the Action lens on the way. I'll give it a go some time this next week, probably out at PMP.
    "Don't feel bad. A lot of people have no talent"