Hotshot 350 tail light- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Hotshot 350 tail light

Anybody see this new cygolite Hypershot 350?
    https://cygolite.com/product/hypershot-350-usb/

That should catch a driverís eye in daylight!

Iím interested in seeing how it works in real-world conditions.

Light freak
    Happy New Year Ofroad'bent! Have not seen you post in this forum for quite awhile.

mtbr member
    I have a few of the brighter cygolite taillights (150 and 200). They definitely get me more attention (be it cars slowing down or throwing stuff at me) than any other light I've used.

I was sold after seeing a mate with one in daylight while I was driving.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scar View Post
    Happy New Year Ofroad'bent! Have not seen you post in this forum for quite awhile.

Thanks, Scar, same to you. I guess I have a bagful of bike lights that meet my needs, and havenít really needed to update for a while.
    Maybe if some new emitter comes out with a massive increase in efficiency...

I think my rear flasher could be upgraded for daylight safety on roads though.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I don't road ride much but use an older Hotshot when I do. Similar to xnomit's experience, I feel like it is getting driver's attention. When you are in the beam angle, it is very bright. I imagine in a group ride, other riders may not like you much.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ofroad'bent View Post
    I think my rear flasher could be upgraded for daylight safety on roads though.
    Me too and I think this light might be a good option. I've been running a Serfas/Moon TL60 for the last 7+ yrs. so probably time to retire it to loaner/backup duty. Don't think I'd be using the 350 lumen setting much but would be nice to have that super bright option in case I get stuck in heavy traffic. It seems to have a lot of different setting options and very good runtimees at the lower output settings I'd be using it in. Need to see the light first though to see if it mounts well on my pack and since I do ride with other people regularly that it has a "group ride friendly" mode.
    Mole

mtbr member
    I have a Bontrager Flare R and my wife has an older Hotshot 100.
    Iím interested in hearing if someone has a Hotshot 150 or 200 to compare with this Hypershot 350 in bright daylight conditions.

mtbr member
    My thoughts; When they claim 350 lumen I'm assuming they are adding the total of the two main emitters. That said I personally don't feel the need for two 175 lumen emitters situated right next to each other. Sure, it will make for a bigger bulls eye I suppose but since I already run a Lezyne Zecto Max 250 I see no reason to do an upgrade. The rear lamp I use is more than bright enough to meet my needs. For me the issue is no more about lumen output as it is about special features. Would be nice though if the Hypershot 350 incorporated the lenses from both the Hotshot 150 ( wider lens ) and the first edition of the Hotshot ( more narrow lens ). If they did you'd get the best of both worlds, medium wide output and long narrow throw all in one unit. Once again though I don't get too excited over stuff like this because once you own a rear lamp with an output over 60 lumen you basically have enough rear light going to get you seen at night. For the most part I don't use a rear light during the day unless it's raining or heavily overcast. I'm not knocking the the new 350 just pointing out that not everyone needs one.

mtbr member
    I was hoping that the 2 beams may be different, one wider and one more intense.

I have a Zectomax too. It has a 250 lumen daylight flash, but in a pattern with lower brightness and only intermittent powerful flash. I have the feeling the Hypershot will be a lot more daylight-visible at a short glimpse when the driver bothers to look up from their phone. Still, awaiting someoneís actual experience.

I agree, 70 or so is plenty at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    My thoughts; When they claim 350 lumen I'm assuming they are adding the total of the two main emitters. That said I personally don't feel the need for two 175 lumen emitters situated right next to each other. Sure, it will make for a bigger bulls eye I suppose but since I already run a Lezyne Zecto Max 250 I see no reason to do an upgrade. The rear lamp I use is more than bright enough to meet my needs. For me the issue is no more about lumen output as it is about special features. Would be nice though if the Hypershot 350 incorporated the lenses from both the Hotshot 150 ( wider lens ) and the first edition of the Hotshot ( more narrow lens ). If they did you'd get the best of both worlds, medium wide output and long narrow throw all in one unit. Once again though I don't get too excited over stuff like this because once you own a rear lamp with an output over 60 lumen you basically have enough rear light going to get you seen at night. For the most part I don't use a rear light during the day unless it's raining or heavily overcast. I'm not knocking the the new 350 just pointing out that not everyone needs one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ofroad'bent View Post
    I was hoping that the 2 beams may be different, one wider and one more intense.

I have a Zectomax too. It has a 250 lumen daylight flash, but in a pattern with lower brightness and only intermittent powerful flash. I have the feeling the Hypershot will be a lot more daylight-visible at a short glimpse when the driver bothers to look up from their phone. Still, awaiting someoneís actual experience.

I agree, 70 or so is plenty at night.
    I think that's how almost all rear lamps with high output can claim the higher output....only in burst or pulse mode. It would drain the battery too much if done any other way.

I own both the Hotshot 150 and the Zectomax 250. The Hotshot has the more intense beam but the Zecto has the wider beam pattern. Both are excellent rear lights and very bright. I just use the Zecto more because the clip on back of the Zecto works well with the box I have on back of my road bike. I have no doubt the Hypershot 350 will make for an excellent daytime running light.

mtbr member
    Last edited by Advard; 02-02-2020 at 03:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Friends! Does anyone use the Cygolite Hypershot 350 rear headlamp? A worthy headlight or Lezyne Strip Pro is better?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ponik78 View Post
    Friends! Does anyone use the Cygolite Hypershot 350 rear headlamp? A worthy headlight or Lezyne Strip Pro is better?
    Having not used either my guess is they are both very good rear lights. After looking at the video of the Lezyne Strip Pro 300 I would have to say the Pro 300 has one of the most interesting user interfaces I've ever seen. Also seems to have a special optic on the front that gives a very wide output ( 270į ). On the down side this optic might limit the intensity of the throw but I wouldn't let that stop me from buying one. The only other thing I don't like about the Pro 300 is that the lamp mounts directly flat against the seat post using a rubber-band type mount. This means the lamp cannot be manually aimed. Personally I like being able to aim my rear lights directly straight back rather than angled downward.

The Cygolite Hypershot 350 should be just like the Hotshot 150 only with more output. To the best of my knowledge ( I own a Hotshot 150 ) all Cygolite rear mounts can be aimed. My guess is the 350 more than likely has the more intense throw as compared to the Lezyne Pro 300 but as I said I don't own one to be able to say for sure. Still, I'd be tempted to buy the Lezyne simply because of the really cool UI ( which also includes a battery power indicator ). However if I were someone which uses the rear light in the day ( which I'm not ) I'd likely buy the Cygolite Hypershot 350.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Hotshot Pro 200. I have one. I am using it with the DIY made rear mount on my bicycle helmet. Works pretty well and, as I think, much better for a heavy traffic roads in city, compared to seat post mount. But head of a cyclist usually moves up and down (helmet too). That's why under certain angles helmet-mounted tail light can be less visible for a drivers (we are talking about daytime environment).

Is there are chances that the Hypershot with its dual optics/LEDs and wider angles(?) will be more effective in terms or visibility, especially when the light not in fixed position all time?

p.s. Too bad they didn't added the "spontaneous" or random mode (disordered flashing with a different time intervals), that was implemented in a Trek (Bontrager) tail lights. I believe it can catch more attention of a distracted drivers behind...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primorsky View Post
    Hotshot Pro 200. I have one. I am using it with the DIY made rear mount on my bicycle helmet. Works pretty well and, as I think, much better for a heavy traffic roads in city, compared to seat post mount. But head of a cyclist usually moves up and down (helmet too). That's why under certain angles helmet-mounted tail light can be less visible for a drivers (we are talking about daytime environment).

Is there are chances that the Hypershot with its dual optics/LEDs and wider angles(?) will be more effective in terms or visibility, especially when the light not in fixed position all time?

p.s. Too bad they didn't added the "spontaneous" or random mode (disordered flashing with a different time intervals), that was implemented in a Trek (Bontrager) tail lights. I believe it can catch more attention of a distracted drivers behind...
    Choosing and using a rear light for the helmet is a whole different ball game as compared to using a rear lamp on the seat post. Because your head moves and bobs when you are riding you need a light that provides a wider beam pattern. This helps the rider get seen and as I've often said before almost all LED rear lights are not only brighter on their flash modes but the flashing ( or pulse pattern ) is always going to draw more attention in the day because those modes are just more conspicuous.

Sorry but I have to make a correction from something I said before; I do on occasion use a rear flashing light during the day but only in certain situations. Those situations would include; cloudy dark days, Rainy days and busy roads with little to no shoulders.

On a side note I can't help but notice that a lot of newer helmets are designed in such a way that it requires the owner to mod the rear so they can mount a rear light to the back of the helmet. I'm often annoyed when looking at newer helmets how screwed up the vent holes are and how the back of the helmets make mounting a rear light almost impossible. True, some helmets now have built in Gopro mounts on top but it seems to me that it took years for helmet manufacturers to realize that cyclist sometimes like to mount lights to their helmets. Now we just have to wait another 10 years before they start to include a place on back of the helmet to allow a user to clip on a rear self-contained light. Since I use a helmet that is over 20 years old thankfully I don't have any of these issues.

mtbr member
    OT a bit, but can someone recommend a taillight in the $25< range?

Ideally I want one with a clip for my seat bag and one with bendy arms for my helmet. I currently use an ancient one (by todays standards) that uses 2 AAA's. Doing more road riding this winter and want to upgrade.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Guys. What can you say about the TSV-350 Vulcan 350 Lumen Tail Light? Has anyone used or compared with Cygolite Hypershot - 350 Lumen?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    OT a bit, but can someone recommend a taillight in the $25< range?

Ideally I want one with a clip for my seat bag and one with bendy arms for my helmet. I currently use an ancient one (by todays standards) that uses 2 AAA's. Doing more road riding this winter and want to upgrade.

I've been pretty happy with these zecto-drive knockoffs from Amazon ... I think they are bright enough for day-time flash. (be-seen)

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

definitely not 350 lumen!

last at least 6-8 hours on high flash ( maybe even more )

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk View Post
    I've been pretty happy with these zecto-drive knockoffs from Amazon ... I think they are bright enough for day-time flash. (be-seen)

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

definitely not 350 lumen!

last at least 6-8 hours on high flash ( maybe even more )
    Cool, appreciate it.
    You've got the best MTBR handle hands down. I've watched that movie countless times

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    How much battery is a Cigolite Hypershot 350?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Cool, appreciate it.
    You've got the best MTBR handle hands down. I've watched that movie countless times

LOL - I'm just impressed you got the reference. Technically I'm not really a punk ( jeez I'm pushing 50 ... ) but since I live in SLC and handles are not always supposed to be 100% accurate I think its ok

mtbr member
    I think anyone who was into that movie is pushing 50 or older.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Has anyone found out how much the headlight works in flash mode at 350 lumens? Just indicated 8hr to 43 hr. Not quite clear

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ponik78 View Post
    Has anyone found out how much the headlight works in flash mode at 350 lumens? Just indicated 8hr to 43 hr. Not quite clear
    The difference in runtime is explained by the different flash frequencies that the user sets with the right button.

mtbr member
    350 is solid for the price....
    "PLEASE LORD FORBID THEM FROM ENTERING, FORGIVE US FOR THEY SHALL NEVER LEAVE"