Hi. What is the best bang for the buck for a nightlight?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Hi. What is the best bang for the buck for a nightlight?

Hi.

What is the best bang for the bunk as far as economical nightlights are concerned?

I want to get a decent light without spending a lot of money.

what would you guys recommend?

thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The DIY thread.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    I just got 2 Minewt Mini Usb lights for about $190. I'll let you know after I take my first night ride.

mtbr member
    if you are going to be doing real trail riding at night expect to spend 200 bucks. here are some relatively inexpensive options:

light and motion Stella
    niterider Minewt
    exposure lights Joystick

if you are technically inclined you can do well with DIY. also theres a guy here that sells his DIY lights, Amoeba lights i think, they look pretty bright in pics but i havent seen one in real life.

GeoMan
    NiteFlux
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The Exposure Joystick might not be the brightest light, but for a single LED light it is under $200 and is very small, bright for its size and light weight. No wires or battery pack to deal with. You easily get 3 hours on the brightest setting and the helmet mount is the best one on the market.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Resist
    The Exposure Joystick might not be the brightest light, but for a single LED light it is under $200 and is very small, bright for its size and light weight. No wires or battery pack to deal with. You easily get 3 hours on the brightest setting and the helmet mount is the best one on the market.
    +1
    Never used a helmet light before, this is my first and couldn't ask for anything more. No wires, easy switch selection, fuel guage, mount is very secure, 3hr on max etc. I also added the rear RedEye Micro for added safety.

You can use a Flashlight with rechargeables (others here that have used one on a helmet will know what's best) and I can recommend a TwoFish Lockblock for mounting the Flashlight to the handlebar if you decide to go this way. I have only half helped you here

Flashlights I own for every-day-use that have around 120L only give about 1hr on high so probably not enough run time, keep this in mind as it would be a hassle changing batteries during long rides.
    Last edited by pothilato; 05-07-2009 at 04:16 AM.

mtbr member
    SSC P7 or Cree MC-E 18650 flashlights from a place like Dealextreme or ebay are the budget kings....

Buy one and a couple of 18650 lithium batteries, a charger, a bike and/or helmet mount and for less than $60 for all this you have about 400-500 lumens of purposeful light (they are rated higher but I think this is about their level IMO).

Two of these gives you massive riding light, backup, and they have multi-levels (high/med/low/flash) and mode memory and are quite robust. They are also compact 150mm long.

Chuck two or more spare batteries in your pocket or pack and you can run for hours. Edit: There are dummy battery and packs available for these flashlights that let you extend the run time on high to as much as you want. From memory a 4x18650 cell pack with cables and dummy battery was $40 plus - you add the cells. So for <$100 you have extended run time if you want it.

No better value and no doubt these cheap alternatives scare the pants off the name brand bike light manufacturers. Lucky for them they are only sold online and by boutique stores (often in China) or ebay from what I can see. No margin for LBS and all the mouths the bike business proper feeds - so not promoted.

Only downside is the short relative run time off one battery (40-60mins) - but by taking some spares this is essentially negated. I am also unsure as to their reliability but for the price its a low cost risk if they fail.
    Last edited by Coldass; 05-07-2009 at 10:33 AM.

BBW
    mtbr member
    Check the Niteflux and Airbike lights from Geoman.... around 200$ with 500-900 lumens and 3 hours run time on high. This IS the best bang IMHO plus Geoman service is outstanding
    Forget about changing batteries every 40 minutes, that's a PITA. Are you going to stop in the middle of the DH because you run out of juice?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    first of all sorry for my English. the best bang for the buck out there is dinotte sytrems.
    if you are a mountain biker you should know that you are going to need a lot of light.
    dinotte has a 400l dual combo for 369 and if you ask them for 2 batteries 2cell each one you can save $25. They also have a 800l/400l combo 1200 lumens for $449. they customer service rocks. You can talk directly with the owner Rob. If you are not satisfied they'll give you the money back.

http://acidinmylegs.blogspot.com/200...-you-want.html
    http://www.mtbr.com/cat/accessories/...50_130crx.aspx
    Last edited by samy2222red; 05-07-2009 at 07:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW
    Check the Niteflux and Airbike lights from Geoman.... around 200$ with 500-900 lumens and 3 hours run time on high. This IS the best bang IMHO plus Geoman service is outstanding
    Forget about changing batteries every 40 minutes, that's a PITA. Are you going to stop in the middle of the DH because you run out of juice?
    Actually the specs on some of these flashlights read >2hours run time on high, regulated. and 900 lumens (same emitter as an Airbike and Lupine Telsa) - and that was for $30.50! Tell me that's not he best bang for buck even if these specs are somewhat unreal. You gotta say on a 'bang-for-buck' basis this is hard to underscore...

Have you used one?

OMG! 40min DH runs! Show me this stuff baby - I want some of that!

mtbr member
    A buddy of mine just reported he has decided to use two of these:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.22569
    or
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12060

I have one of these and can say it is excellent. The quality is better than I expected and the performance for the money is mind blowing:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.19767

Here are the batteries ($10 for 2):
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5790

The charger ($8.80):
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4151

And a mount ($1.54 - although there are many alternatives):
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.8274

All shipped free.

I have made a couple of purchases from this company so far. Paid with Paypal - delivery was slowish - about 2-weeks from Hong Kong.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I second the MTE-P7 light as a good 'budget option'. Took it out the other night as a 'backup' light. 20 mins into the ride and the bulb on my Niterider Enduro HID gave up on me! Switched to the P7 torch, and could barely tell the difference.
    Niterider can kiss my butt if they think I am going to spend silly money on a replacement bulb. That light has been nothing but trouble for me. Looking forward to using the P7 in the future!!!

Brad

Apr 2009
    I agree with you there, Niterider and most likely other major players charge way too much for replacement parts.

That being said, for a cheap $35 or so it makes sense to have this little light around = 900 lumens 2.5 hours backup - i'll take it too !

Members who have read this thread: 0