Help w/ first torch purchase- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Help w/ first torch purchase

I'm looking for a single bar mount torch (for now....will probably get a Magicshine some time soon) to use on the road for early morning rides. This might also see some trail use but not in the near future, so that is less of a goal.

I want something with a decent amount of flood I suppose.

This light seems like a good choice due to the adjustable beam
    http://www.qualitychinagoods.com/mxd...28-p-1394.html

Also this one seems highly recommended
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12060

I'm not familiar with any of the terminology so some education might help. Is there any good beginner's guide to torch lights?

Thanks,

Rob

mtbr member
    No personal experience, but this one: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15335 might be useful, too.
    Ride more!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rlb81
    I'm looking for a single bar mount torch (for now....will probably get a Magicshine some time soon) to use on the road for early morning rides. This might also see some trail use but not in the near future, so that is less of a goal.

I want something with a decent amount of flood I suppose.

This light seems like a good choice due to the adjustable beam
    http://www.qualitychinagoods.com/mxd...28-p-1394.html

Also this one seems highly recommended

I'm not familiar with any of the terminology so some education might help. Is there any good beginner's guide to torch lights?

Thanks,

Rob

I have the MXDL's you linked. Very nice light, but I wouldn't use just one alone, I would use 2 or get something brighter like the P7 you linked.

Be sure to factor the cost of batteries, charger ands mounts into the deal too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by asphaltdude
    No personal experience, but this one: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15335 might be useful, too.

I have this one as well. It's a little too much of a tight hotspot for me (I like floodier, more even spread lights).So I turned the head about one or two turns while the light was on, and when I got to a point where the light was spread out more (but before a dark hole appears in the center), I stop and put black electrical tape around it to keep it from turning anymore.

This makes it much more usable as a bike light in my opinion.

mtbr member

.....Also this one seems highly recommended

Thanks,

Rob
    The 12060 I highly recommend. I use mine more than any other torch I own ( for bar mount purposes that is ). Works great on the trail, works great on the road....win, win. Since you're new to this, the 12060 uses the SSC P-7 emitter (LED). It is a single 4-die emitter in one package set-up. On high is put's out about 600 lumens. Mid mode for this torch is about 200L ( L=lumens). Mid-mode will run more than 3hrs ( on one 18650 cell ) and is usually good enough for most stuff except maybe high speed downhills ( switch to high then and you're good ). Whatever torch you buy I highly recommend a five-mode.

mtbr member
    I wound up ordering an MXDL before seeing any responses (I was bored at lunch, oh well!) I only grabbed one for now. Anything will be better than what I have on my bars now so if needed I can just order some more torches. Up next will probably be th 12060

mtbr member
    I have the 12060. Used it plenty of times at 6mile. I use it as helmet mount but works great on the handlebars as well.

mtbr member
    As long as you can see the bear with it I'll see how this first one does on the road, maybe it can be dedicated to that duty and I'll also grab an off road setup

mtbr member
    Speaking of bear I'm pretty sure I saw one there from a distance a few weeks ago. They are moving further south every year.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I wound up ordering an MXDL before seeing any responses (I was bored at lunch, oh well!) I only grabbed one for now. Anything will be better than what I have on my bars now so if needed I can just order some more torches. Up next will probably be th 12060

Yeah, it will be better then that NR ultrafazer.

I'm doing a group night ride (mtb, not road) next week and I'm loaning my Magicshine to someone that's interested in checking it out, so I'll be using just 2 of the MXDL's, one on bars, one on helmet. Should be interesting. I'll probably zoom the helmet one out about halfway to give it more throw.

When you get your MXDL, if you find the sliding head to be too loose, post back and I'll tell ya how to fix that.

I just ordered one of these P7's (I wanted one of the shortest P7's they had), can't wait to get it and try it out!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Mte Sf 15

+1 for 12060
    Bit small to ward off a bear though...
    Goatman
    - It's not the destination that counts but how you get there -

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnut
    ...I just ordered one of these P7's (I wanted one of the shortest P7's they had), can't wait to get it and try it out!
    Hummmm....fightnut, the SF-15 has gotten some good reviews. It is also listed as a D-bin P-7 which could be nice if it really is a D-bin. Post up when you get it to let us know how you like it. I'm curious if it really has true *memory ( *memory = coming back on to the last mode it was on after it has been turned off )

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do
    Hummmm....fightnut, the SF-15 has gotten some good reviews. It is also listed as a D-bin P-7 which could be nice if it really is a D-bin. Post up when you get it to let us know how you like it. I'm curious if it really has true *memory ( *memory = coming back on to the last mode it was on after it has been turned off )

Cat-man-do I am using two SF-15's on the handlebar and one 12060 on the helmet. All of them running at medium. I never need to run any of them on high since the lighting is pretty good. By using the two different torches I think I'm getting the best of both worlds.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm going to order the following today, with a view to mounting one on the bars and using some cable ties to helmet mount the other.

Does anyone see any problems with this or can reccommend a similar set up for the money?

2 x MTE P7 900 lumen torch - $28.04 (x2)

Dual battery charger - $7.52
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6105

2 x lithium battery - $8.01
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5790

Handlebar mount - $2.81
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15642

Thanks

mtbr member
    I'll be using just 2 of the MXDL's, one on bars, one on helmet. Should be interesting. I'll probably zoom the helmet one out about halfway to give it more throw.
    let me know how this goes, I'm interested to hear the results

I just ordered one of these P7's (I wanted one of the shortest P7's they had), can't wait to get it and try it out!
    I'm guessing this light has more throw and would do better on the helmet? Also interested to hear about this one.

Does anyone have info on the weight of these lights? I'd like to know about the MXDL, 12060, and the 22567. What does it feel like to have one of these on your helmet?

mtbr member
    let me know how this goes, I'm interested to hear the results

I'm guessing this light has more throw and would do better on the helmet? Also interested to hear about this one.

Does anyone have info on the weight of these lights? I'd like to know about the MXDL, 12060, and the 22567. What does it feel like to have one of these on your helmet?
    Both the 12060 and 22567 weigh the same. 170g.

At first you'll feel the added weight. But I ride fine with mine with no neck strain or any issues. If anything it helps strengthen your neck muscles

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CubeRider
    and using some cable ties to helmet mount the other.

Handlebar mount - $2.81
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15642

Depending on your helmet, you can use 31871 or 12000 to mount on your helmet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

The MXDL is listed at 110 grams. This is without the battery of course. I haven't actually stuck it up there on the helmet and ridden with it yet.

But I'll be sure to post after I get some time in with all my new lights.

mtbr member
    Depending on your helmet, you can use 31871 or 12000 to mount on your helmet.
    Those mounts are a pain to use and almost never fit well with different helmets.

Best and cheapest method I found is wrapping the front of the torch with an old tube and wrapping Velcro ties going through the helmet to hold the torch down.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus
    Those mounts are a pain to use and almost never fit well with different helmets.
    Strange, I've had the exact opposite experience with them.
    There are helmets out there that don't have a center vent like the one in the photo, so laying the light IN the vent like that isn't possible on some helmets.
    I like to carry one of each of the above mounts because they are so versatile and will fit any helmet or handlebar one way or another (and are just handy for other things too besides lights).

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Strange, I've had the exact opposite experience with them.
    There are helmets out there that don't have a center vent like the one in the photo, so laying the light IN the vent like that isn't possible on some helmets.
    I like to carry one of each of the above mounts because they are so versatile and will fit any helmet or handlebar one way or another (and are just handy for other things too besides lights).
    I have had the same experience as fightnut.
    Have fitted a flashlight to 3 different helmets using the same mounts.
    Have also used the mounts for attaching a small helmet cam.
    Goatman
    - It's not the destination that counts but how you get there -

turtles make me hot
    Check out the Fenix TK11. I carry one at all times. It's gone through the wash a couple of times and still works perfectly. Brighter than hell. I've used one as a handlebar light with a Magicshine on my helmet and had plenty of light for a ride.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Received everything today, oddly enough both packages came on the same day (One from DX and the other from Quality China Goods). The batteries had juice out of the box and the initial light is fairly impressive, but I'll hold final judgment until I try it tonight with the batteries fully charged. I pretty much copied the exact setup listed here by fightnut

Some bored at lunch pictures:

This picture is with the lens fully extended to "flood". There is a paper clip laying in front of the body to keep it from rolling.

Couch shopping in between torch shots

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    rlb81, cool post back after you get a ride in with it.
    Other then a quick ride around the block one night, I still haven't used mine IN the woods yet. But from experience with my P-4 models from DX, I know they were more impressive once they're in the woods and have stuff to actually light up as opposed to a wall.

Doing my first ride with mine this Friday. I'll post back as well.

mtbr member
    I'll definitely give a report once I give it a shot.

The batteries have been in the charger for about 2.5 hours now and they are cool to the touch. Shouldn't they warm up a bit while charging?

mtbr member
    So I guess I'll turn this into a bit of a chronicle about getting into the world of lights on a budget. Here is the latest installment:

The batteries finally charged last night. When it started to get dark I pulled one out of the charger so I could play around with the light outside. When I came in the charger LED was green for the other battery. So I popped that out and tossed the second battery into the same bay and the LED was green within 10 minutes, so maybe I have a bad bay on the charger.

I went for a quick road ride this morning. The sky was just beginning to turn from black to gray when I left the house so it was still pretty dark. My plan was to use low mode and adjust the lens to full flood. This wasn't working well for me so I went to high mode and focused the beam just a bit. This provided sufficient light to 20-25 mph but it didn't give me enough confidence to blast down some 30+mph descents that I do on a regular basis. As stated by someone earlier in the thread I need additional light.

I think this light will serve me well for its intended purpose, however, which is a commuter bar light. Next up will be a P7 torch for the helmet. I'm throwing around the thought of getting another one of these for the helmet, but I'm new so I want to see what else is out there. It's either 12060 or 22567 with a lean towards the 12060 since it's proven.

Some more pics, just for fun:

Weight with mount and battery is about 135 grams (the scale kept bouncing between 0.13 and 0.14 kg)

The rubber mount molded easily to my OS bars:

Following advice from other threads I shimmed the strap slots using cardboard from a tube box

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I commute on paved roadways. A mile of my commute is on a paved MUP which is pitch black. I don't need a ton of light. But I really like having a thrower on the helmet. I can use the thrower on the helmet to aim at 90 degrees. I use the helmet light to look for critters along the side of the MUP so that I can avoid hitting cats. sku.15335 is a good choice as others have pointed out.

Members who have read this thread: 0