Help picking first light - Magicshine MJ-900B vs Ceco 1000 vs Niterider Lumina 900- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2019

Help picking first light - Magicshine MJ-900B vs Ceco 1000 vs Niterider Lumina 900

Hi,
    Trying to decide between these lights for a MTB headlight for some occasional night riding on the trails. The MJ-900B I read has a better lens and pattern than the original MJ-900, I don't care about the bluetooth, but I guess it could be handy to program in your own brightness % steps when pressing the button on the light. It also has the most battery life of these options.

The Ceco 1000 seems like the Cygolite, but cheaper, and from what I've heard is pretty much just as good? Cheapest option out of these.

Niterider seems like a popular brand, and the Lumina 900 is a decent price on Amazon, so considering it too.

Any feedback on these three? Or any other better bang for the buck suggestions too?

eastman
    I've been running the Cygolite, MityCross 800 OSP for about two years now. Run it as a solo light mounted on my helmet. Not bad for early fall, when you only need a light for the last hour-ish of the ride and you can run full blast at 800 lm. However, during the deep dark winter, I have to run the light in the med mode/550 lm to get the full 3.5 hrs of run time. that's when I wished I had a better light and lm's to ride with!

So, I've been looking at the 2020 DiNotte XML-3 Headlight 2500+ Lumens, with a cost of around 250.00. you can run this light at 100% for 2.5 hours or 50% for 5 hrs. lots of folks I ride with have this light.

Another possible option, is the Gloworm XX 2500 Lumens, with a cost of around 295.00. little pricey when compared to the DiNotte, but includes a bar mounted remote and options to customize light pattern.

Need to pull the trigger soon, as we are heading into late fall and early winter, when I'll need a light for most of the ride.

If I could find a coupon code for the Gloworm, I would pull the trigger today!!!

As a side note - I'm also hoping I can run my existing light on the bars.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by squatchout View Post
    Hi,
    Trying to decide between these lights for a MTB headlight for some occasional night riding on the trails. The MJ-900B I read has a better lens and pattern than the original MJ-900, I don't care about the bluetooth, but I guess it could be handy to program in your own brightness % steps when pressing the button on the light. It also has the most battery life of these options.

The Ceco 1000 seems like the Cygolite, but cheaper, and from what I've heard is pretty much just as good? Cheapest option out of these.

Niterider seems like a popular brand, and the Lumina 900 is a decent price on Amazon, so considering it too.

Any feedback on these three? Or any other better bang for the buck suggestions too?
    The problem I see with the lights you've listed is they all have a fairly narrow beam. They'd probably all work but my guess is you'd be more comfortable and have more fun with something with a wider beam like a Ravemen PR800. Since you mentioned runtimes that Ravemen will run 1.5 hrs @ 800 lumens but also can be run using a power bank (which are pretty cheap) to extend its range. If your only going to run one light this seems like a better fit for your needs while still staying in the general price range you were looking at IMO.
    Mole

https://www.merlincycles.com/ravemen...ht-117437.html

mtbr member
    I have an MJ902 and MJ902b, as well as an MJ906b. The 902 puts out a lot more light than the 900, for about the same weight and footprint.

I went Bluetooth (BT) because I really only use two settings - 30% (for lighted streets and when I have oncoming traffic) and 100% (for when I actually need to see - or blind trailside junkies). It saves a lot of time and eyestrain not having to cycle through 6 settings to switch whenever I encounter someone coming the other way - especially strobe mode and Off.

One warning - MS BT remotes will only control one light at a time, where the non-BT can be synced with multiple lights (so your handlebars and helmet turn up/down/off at the same time when you press the one remote button) . I originally bought the 906b to use with my 902, spent a couple hours trying to get them synced, then figured out online that the BT and non-BT remotes were different and you could not use the one remote type with the other light type. So I bought a BT remote and a 902b - and spent a couple hours trying to get the lights synced before emailing MS Support and being told BT remotes can't run multiple lights like the non-BT.

The BT settings are enough of an improvement that I just use the remote for my helmet-mounted 902b and manually control the 906b on my handlebars. The regular 902 with remote is now a loaner.
    Cannondale Fwhatever Optimo, Rush, R600 Sport, and Six13 Ironman 2

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I'm not familiar with the lights you mentioned but the Eagle M2 is the best bang for your buck. I have two, one in storage just in case. You can run full power, spot and flood for 2.5 hrs on the stock battery. The only down side is it has that crazy orange 4-pin plug.

I'm not saying its the best or the brightest but for 125.00 its pretty awesome. I have a couple Glowworm lights which are superior and I like better but they're over twice as much.

I use the M2 in the winter on my fatback and as a loner if somebody forgets their light on our night rides.

Action LED Lights
    Don't forget the Magicshine lumen numbers are very exaggerated.
    You might want to look at the Gloworm Alpha. $139 with a 2 cell battery. 1200 actual lumens, User programable and a 2 hour runtime at 100%.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    The problem I see with the lights you've listed is they all have a fairly narrow beam. They'd probably all work but my guess is you'd be more comfortable and have more fun with something with a wider beam like a Ravemen PR800. Since you mentioned runtimes that Ravemen will run 1.5 hrs @ 800 lumens but also can be run using a power bank (which are pretty cheap) to extend its range. If your only going to run one light this seems like a better fit for your needs while still staying in the general price range you were looking at IMO.
    Mole

https://www.merlincycles.com/ravemen...ht-117437.html
    Ah, thanks. So you think the PR800 would be bright enough then? Would it be a good helmet mounted option too?

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    I was hoping to do something cheaper, but you think it would definitely be worth the extra cost? Is the optional wide lens recommended, or is the one it comes with wide enough?

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by eastman View Post
    I've been running the Cygolite, MityCross 800 OSP for about two years now. Run it as a solo light mounted on my helmet. Not bad for early fall, when you only need a light for the last hour-ish of the ride and you can run full blast at 800 lm. However, during the deep dark winter, I have to run the light in the med mode/550 lm to get the full 3.5 hrs of run time. that's when I wished I had a better light and lm's to ride with!

So, I've been looking at the 2020 DiNotte XML-3 Headlight 2500+ Lumens, with a cost of around 250.00. you can run this light at 100% for 2.5 hours or 50% for 5 hrs. lots of folks I ride with have this light.

Another possible option, is the Gloworm XX 2500 Lumens, with a cost of around 295.00. little pricey when compared to the DiNotte, but includes a bar mounted remote and options to customize light pattern.

Need to pull the trigger soon, as we are heading into late fall and early winter, when I'll need a light for most of the ride.

If I could find a coupon code for the Gloworm, I would pull the trigger today!!!

As a side note - I'm also hoping I can run my existing light on the bars.
    Those look really nice, but out of my budget.

Looks like JesnonUSA has it, and can use coupon SINCE94 for 20% off, making it $239. I think k the coupon expires in like 5 hours though. https://www.jensonusa.com/Gloworm-XS...umen-Light-Set

mtbr member
    Ah, thanks. So you think the PR800 would be bright enough then? Would it be a good helmet mounted option too?
    Beam quality is the key for this light. It makes the most out its output and is a very good bar light. Would be too heavy for my taste helmet mounted and its wider beam is not ideal for helmet use. Ceco 1000 narrower more focused beam will give you better throw + lighter weight makes it a better helmet option. Would combo well with the PR800 on the bars.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Beam quality is the key for this light. It makes the most out its output and is a very good bar light. Would be too heavy for my taste helmet mounted and its wider beam is not ideal for helmet use. Ceco 1000 narrower more focused beam will give you better throw + lighter weight makes it a better helmet option. Would combo well with the PR800 on the bars.
    Mole
    Someone on here also offered to sell me an Ituo Wiz-XP2 light. Would that be a better pick too?

I also found a Ravemen PR900 for $56 as another option.

mtbr member
    Someone on here also offered to sell me an Ituo Wiz-XP2 light. Would that be a better pick too?

I also found a Ravemen PR900 for $56 as another option.
    XP2 is equivalent to $250 Gloworm X2. If you can afford it buy the XP2. Great bar or helmet light.

PR900 is basically a PR800 that cannot be charged in use but comes with larger batteries (2.5 hr. runtime in hi) and a OLED battery life display. Nice upgrades over the 800.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Here's a handy tool I got @ True Value that has the torx bit needed to remove the bezel for changing optics on Ituo lights.
    Mole

Help picking first light - Magicshine MJ-900B vs Ceco 1000 vs Niterider Lumina 900-002.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Here's a handy tool I got @ True Value that has the torx bit needed to remove the bezel for changing optics on Ituo lights.
    Mole

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	182.9 KB 
ID:	1290197
    Ah, handy, thanks.

mtbr member
    I've used Nite Rider lights for the last 10 - 12 years. The last 3 have been Lumina series and for about $100 they have been good for me as a helmet mount. Current one is 900 lumens. My typical ride is about 2-2.5hrs and I've never run out of battery life. I use the hi/med/low button to extend life during ride and the big button on top is easy to use while riding. USB cord plugs right into dash so it never leaves my truck and is always charged and ready when I hit trailhead. They are also a good company and will stand behind any issues. I've sent one back way after warranty expired and they quickly repaired it for $20.

I have an Outbound Hangover on order for something different (there's a thread on this light).
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...:thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sturge View Post
    I've used Nite Rider lights for the last 10 - 12 years. The last 3 have been Lumina series and for about $100 they have been good for me as a helmet mount. Current one is 900 lumens. My typical ride is about 2-2.5hrs and I've never run out of battery life. I use the hi/med/low button to extend life during ride and the big button on top is easy to use while riding. USB cord plugs right into dash so it never leaves my truck and is always charged and ready when I hit trailhead. They are also a good company and will stand behind any issues. I've sent one back way after warranty expired and they quickly repaired it for $20.
    I'm a big fan of NiteRider Lumina lights too and I've ridden with them for years. Our night rides consist of very technical singletrack too. I also had one of my lights repaired for $20 when the charging port snapped off. NiteRider has since corrected that bad design and the repaired light had the new, more sturdy design.
    AreBee