Help me see the light- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Help me see the light

It's been years since I've done any serious night riding. So I'm here asking to help direct me with a decent light set-up for trail use. My current but old lights are in the 500-800 lumen range if I remember correctly. They still work but I'm not too confident of the life left in the batteries. I know the set-ups and technology today are light years (sorry couldn't resist) ahead of years ago. I'd like to keep the budget around the $100-$200 range. A decent run time of 1.5-2 hrs would be nice without getting stranded in the dark 3/4 of the way through a ride. Thanks

mtbr member
    This should get you started...don't let the title fool you. Scroll down and read some of the posts...many have had good success with NiteRider Lumina's. Shop around and you can get 950 - 1200 lumen for < $100. You could get two of them...a 'mini' for helmet and regular size for bars for about $200.

https://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night...s-1093656.html
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...:thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moto367 View Post
    It's been years since I've done any serious night riding. So I'm here asking to help direct me with a decent light set-up for trail use. My current but old lights are in the 500-800 lumen range if I remember correctly. They still work but I'm not too confident of the life left in the batteries. I know the set-ups and technology today are light years (sorry couldn't resist) ahead of years ago. I'd like to keep the budget around the $100-$200 range. A decent run time of 1.5-2 hrs would be nice without getting stranded in the dark 3/4 of the way through a ride. Thanks
    I have a couple of questions that will help me in recommending something for you. First, what was your old light setup? Are you looking at self-contained or a separate lighthead and battery setup? A little description of how you plan on using the lights would help too (listing the ride time lengths was excellent).
    Mole

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    I have a couple of questions that will help me in recommending something for you. First, what was your old light setup? Are you looking at self-contained or a separate lighthead and battery setup? A little description of how you plan on using the lights would help too (listing the ride time lengths was excellent).
    Mole
    I have an old Trail Tech Eclipse HID that I really liked but the battery was pretty big and I think the ballast went as it does not work any more. I have a couple of Magicshine cheapies I bought from Amazon that are LED and have good brightness but I always had questionable luck with the battery packs so my confidence isn't there. Not really an electrical guy to try to make my own pack. The battery and lights were separate from one another. Most of my winter riding is done on the mt bike and in the woods. Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moto367 View Post
    I have an old Trail Tech Eclipse HID that I really liked but the battery was pretty big and I think the ballast went as it does not work any more. I have a couple of Magicshine cheapies I bought from Amazon that are LED and have good brightness but I always had questionable luck with the battery packs so my confidence isn't there. Not really an electrical guy to try to make my own pack. The battery and lights were separate from one another. Most of my winter riding is done on the mt bike and in the woods. Thanks
    Thanks, that helps. For a bar light to keep the cost as low as possible the Revtronic BT40s has proven to be the best bang for the buck flood light for most people.

https://www.amazon.com/Revtronic-160...ens+bike+light

For a helmet light I'd go with the Ituo XP2 as the current best value/high performance light.

https://www.amazon.com/ITUO-Headligh...tuo+bike&psc=1

This combo will give you around 3000 real lumens at their highest settings. Both lights are neutral white which will be a little warmer tint than what you previously used and by far the most popular tint for mtn. riding in this forum. BT40s is a simple light with 4 brightness levels and a band mount. XP2 has a lot more nice features (3 brightness levels that are programmable in 10% increments, removable wired remote, changeable optics so beam pattern is adjustable with accessory optics, lighthead is Gopro compatible and comes with a QR bar mount and a helmet mount too). Stock spot optics have a much narrower beam than the BT40s but more intensity and much more throw. Battery quality is better on the Ituo light also but BT40s battery is OK and probably much better than what you had with your Magicshine clones. Both setups should run around 3 hrs. run at max. which will probably not be necessary very often. Only real drawback to these lights would be long term support.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Thanks MRMOLE! The info helps alot!

mtbr member
    Why such a fancier light for the helmet?

Rod
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
    The bt40 doesn't have good throw. As mole said, it's your flood light so you can see what's near your front tire.

You want the opposite type of light on the helmet. You want something with throw. When speeds increase you need to be able to look down the trail and through turns without outrunning your light.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
    For one, it always pays to have at least one brand name bike light as the quality is usually more reliable. Secondly, the XP2 is smaller, a little bit lighter, brighter, can be used with a Gopro type helmet mount and the optical lens setup is more conducive for helmet use since you can use a spot/spot optic setup that will provide more throw than the BT40S. That said the XP2 would make for an excellent bar lamp as well ( with the right optical setup ). BT40S does make for a very good bar lamp so I agree with MRM.

mtbr member
    thanks!