Help me decide on a light- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Help me decide on a light

I'm not new to mountain biking. But i'm new to riding at night. I borrowed lights from friends and just did my first 24 hours of adrenalin in Canmore AB. I loved night riding. I have already signed up for next year's. But I want to get a set of lights for my own. I will be using it for 1 maybe 2 laps of at a 24 hour team race. I will also be using it in the fall evenings for trail riding/race training on twisty and rooty singletrack. Probably mostly for 1-2 hours at most.

My budget is $300 max.

At the race I used a friend's Cygolite Mitycross for 1 lap and it was ok but then I used another friend's L & M seca 700 for my next night lap and it was amazing. But i can't afford it.

I can get a good deal on niterider stuff through my LBS that i ride for and get a discount at. I can get a really good deal on last year's MiNewt x2 dual. Is that enough by itself? I'm skeptical that it will be enough.

I can also get a good deal on last year's trinewt (a bit over budget but i'm sure i can spend $325 without the wife getting too mad). Is that enough on it's own for trail riding and racing?

I can also get an ok deal on this years minewt .400 dual.

Also cygolite mitycross is pretty cheap just in general. Does the Cygolite have anything over the trinewt?

any advice you can give me will be greatly appreciated. I don't want to buy something that isn't enough and have to replace it next year. I want to get something that is going to last me a few seasons.
    Last edited by dana109; 07-31-2009 at 11:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I like the Exposure MaXx D because it is a compact unit with no wires and you can get 3 hours on the brightest setting and 24 hours on the lowest setting.

mtbr member
    thanks for your input. It does look like a nice light. But it is a bit out of my budget. I just searched around a bit and can't find one anywhere online for less than $400

mtbr member
    The MaXx D is top notch if you plan on racing, very bright and no wires. It is definitely worth the extra 100 dollars for a light. If you are lucky you might find some for around 350. The Enduro MaXx 2 is a notch below the MaXx D and fits in your price range. It lets out a impressive amount of lights also and has all the advantages of the wireless setup.

Also if you know how to work with LED u could save a lot of money and build some quite powerful lights (sometimes even more powerful then the ones on the market) for under $150. Search it up over in the DIY section for lights.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    I've had a lot of friends tell me how awesome the seca is?

How much better is the L & M seca than say the Trinewt, which i can get cheaper?

I've found a few deals on the seca 400 but the seca 700 is too expensive. Is 400 lumens enough? Is 700 really necessary?

Members who have read this thread: 0