Help With Helmet Light- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Help With Helmet Light

So I just got a Gloworm X2 V2. Love it. But I need something for the helmet.

I have a Lumina 650 (great for city duty) but it's a tad too heavy when mounted on the helmet.

I'm considering a torch. Something like the Ultrafire 501b or Solarforce L2p with a drop in.

1. How are you guys mounting these torches to your helmet?

2. Are these significantly lighter than 172 grams?

3. What kind of run time do you get with these?

4. Is there a better option? I can spend around $100.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by eastspur View Post

I'm considering a torch. Something like the Ultrafire 501b or Solarforce L2p with a drop in.
    YMMV. There's a lot of drop-ins, hosts, and complete flashlights out there and they vary wildly on performance, weight, and reliability. I'd suggest checking out http://flashlightreviews.ca to get an idea of what is available.

1. How are you guys mounting these torches to your helmet?
    If your helmet has a center spine, then the Twofish bike block mount works well and is very light. If not, you have to get creative. Search "flashlight helmet mount" here for options.

2. Are these significantly lighter than 172 grams?
    My Zebralight SC600w is 132g with battery. A L2P will be about 160g with battery. There are lighter options. I have this one I use as a backup/everyday carry at 114g.

3. What kind of run time do you get with these?
    The SC600w with its buck/boost driver gets right on 2 hours on high with a Panasonic 3100mAh battery. I'd expect more like 90 minutes from a comparable brightness drop-in using a linear driver. The reviews on flashlightreviews.ca include runtime charts that are pretty accurate.

4. Is there a better option? I can spend around $100.
    My favorite is a bit out of that range, it would be about $135 including charger, mount, and battery. The L2P or the other light I linked to would be well under $100. If it's just weight on the head you're worried about then a more normal head mounted light with battery in your backpack would work. e.g. the MJ-808e is 105g for the light head and about $80 for the system. If you really want no weight, the Gemini Xera is 52g for the head unit but $180 for the system.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I've got a very similar set up - a Minewt 600 and Gloworm X2. My original plan is to try and run the X2 on the helmet with the battery pack in my bag and mount the Minewt on the bars. Before the Gloworm I'd never had a light wire wires so depending on how this goes I may try them in the reverse location so I don't have to deal with any wires on my helmet. It will be nice to hear what you end up doing and which set up you like best.

Members who have read this thread: 0