Help with all-in-one offroad light- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Help with all-in-one offroad light

I'm looking for a all-in-one emergency offroad light. By all-in-one I mean no separate battery. The majority of use for this light is early in the AM MTB rides before or as the sun is coming up. So it doesn't need to be the brightest (I'm guessing 200 - 300 lumens). However it will also be an emergency light for my occasional stretching a ride too long on the MX bike and needing something to limp back to the truck from the dez or mountains in the dark. So the handlebar mount needs to be strong.

Needs in a list:
    1. All-in-one
    2. 200 - 300 lumens
    3. Reasonably small and light weight
    4. Strong handlebar mount
    5. Rechargable or AA ???

Lights I'm looking at:
    1. Sigma PowerLED (300 lumens, good price, a lot bigger than I realized, mount seems a bit weak for my use)
    2. Cygolite MiliOn 200 (200 lumens, decent price, light weight, mount looks decent)
    3. Joystick 240 (240 lumends, top end of price, very light weight, mount looks good)

Any advice on these or similar models would be great!
    Can't keep track anymore - Giant, Santa Cruz, Pivot, Yeti, Norco, Salsa, Intense - if it rolls on dirt I like it :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    You want the Jetbeam Pro III ST BVC:
    Name:  jet3stbvc_f1.png
Views: 250
Size:  59.8 KB
    http://www.jetbeam.com.cn/links/pro/jet3stbvc.aspx

• Model: JET-III PRO ST BVC
    • LED: CREE 7090 XR-E (Q5 bin)
    • Max Output: 225 Lumen (Torch Lumen)
    • Reflector: aluminum reflector
    • Lens: coated mineral glass
    • metal switch retaining ring
    • lock-out function
    • Material: T6061 T6 aircraft aluminum alloy
    • Finish: HA III Military grade hard anodized
    • Battery: one 18650 Rechargeable Lithium Battery
    • Input voltage: 3.6-12V
    • Switch: Reverse push button switch
    • Waterproof: Accord to IPX-8 standard
    • Patented Product.

Est. about $80

Should mention 65g + 18650 bat. Superb flashlight to boot.

I have one and it is hard to fault for what you describe.
    Last edited by Coldass; 03-30-2010 at 03:15 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Hi Scott,

Consider the Cygolite Trion 600.

Here is my review - http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ight=trion+600

I am very happy with it and in future you can attach an external battery for longer run times as well

Hope this helps

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Coldass,
    I hadn't seen the Jetbeam before. Looks like a good option for my morning rides. Does it come with that handlebar mount? The website doesn't say it does, but does picture it with the mount.

Fury25,
    I've been looking at the Trion 600. At first I thought it was out of my price range, but I'm rethinking my needs. The 200 lumen lights would be fine for my early morning MTB climbs cause I return downhill after the sun has comeup, but I doubt 200 lumens will do much on an MX bike. The 600 lumen Trion would be good cruising speed to get back to the truck on the MX bike. For my real night rides I have a Trail Tech MR11 with separate batts that puts out 500 lumens and it gets the job done up to about 30mph.
    Can't keep track anymore - Giant, Santa Cruz, Pivot, Yeti, Norco, Salsa, Intense - if it rolls on dirt I like it :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Does it come with that handlebar mount? The website doesn't say it does, but does picture it with the mount.

Mine didn't, but that was awhile ago and I have an older model (less run-time). But I purchased the exact same mount from dealextreme. I have noticed the same mount for sale on ebay also - just search flashlight handlebar mount.

I have also used a Livestrong band and bit of foam to mount - and frankly - this is a great option (band wrapped under bars and over light with foam in between) and I use this more often than the pictured mount.

The only consideration for the Jetbeam is it has a narrow beam pattern (great for sunset/rise time IMO).

I have used it as a backup ride light many times. II use it almost daily as a flashlight around the house and garage. I find the beam very useful on my helmet, using a simple velcro strap and foam to hold it in place. Just the other night I ended up in a faster than expected 3-hour singletrack night ride. I ran an Exposure MaxxD on my bars and the Jetbeam on my helmet. The Jetbeam spot was needed and noticed alongside the 960 lumen MaxxD for me to keep up with faster riders.

I also have an Exposure Joystick - I prefer the Jetbeam for its removable battery (I sometime take a spare), and better use as a flashlight (with excellent mode options). Though the Joystick serves a similar purpose - I don't like its little button while reaching to my head for control and wish it had more runtime (I always forget to charge it - which takes ages). With the JB ST I just grab a spare, charged, battery and go (And the charger for the individual 18650's is faster than the Exposure - way faster). I think the Joystick has a better lens/reflector.

FYI, I also also purchased four 18650 protected batteries and suitable charger from DX. The Jetbeam ST was purchased off ebay.

Jetbeam is a quality manufacturer - read reviews on Candlepower forum. I am stunned by the manufacturing quality, user interface and value for money. More riders should consider this product IMO.

Hope this helps.

CA
    Last edited by Coldass; 03-31-2010 at 12:31 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0