Helmet light with wireless remote switch?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Old, Slow and now FAT! :)
    Reputation: TheNormsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,604

    Helmet light with wireless remote switch?

    I've been using a chinese flashlight (around 500 lumins) ductaped to an old helmet for my helmet light when night biking. I also use a Cygolite 480 on the bars. On my regular night rides I ride mostly on the bar lamp and then selectively switch on and off the helmet light when I get to the twisties.

    I wrote off that helmet a few weeks back in a crash and have since been using my CygoLite 480 with an older Cygolite 350 for helmet duties on my regular "daytime" helmet. But I think I want something a bit brighter....

    I'm looking for a light that would be dedicated to my helmet. Should have good flood for the twisties but also importantly good throw. I have one section of trail were I am hitting 34mph at night so it needs to cover the distance.

    Also, what I am really looking for is a light with a remote switch than can be mounted on the bar. I would really like to be able to swich the light on and off and toggle between settings without fumbling on top of my head. Do any lights have this capability?

    Any suggestions? I'm not looking to spend a fortune and I think real world lumins need only be around 750. Most of the time I found the old light to be too bright at around 500 lumins and I would typically run it in its medium setting. I'd only use high beam for the fast downhill runs when actually more light would have been nice. My night rides are typically around 35 miles and can last up to three hours so a run-time of up to 3 hours on a medium setting is a must.

    Ideas?

  2. #2
    Light freak
    Reputation: scar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,977
    kerryn - don't know of any lights with wireless remotes out there. Dude, being a Front Range local, how come you haven't hit me up for a demo yet? My Amoeba would fit your other requirements I am sure. Let me know if you want to demo one.


    ***

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: socal_jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,391
    Some of the new Lupine Betty models have wireless remote switches, but they cost a fortune compared to the Chinese

    Lupine Interbike Booth | Mountain Bike Review

  4. #4
    Old, Slow and now FAT! :)
    Reputation: TheNormsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,604
    Quote Originally Posted by socal_jack View Post
    Some of the new Lupine Betty models have wireless remote switches, but they cost a fortune compared to the Chinese

    Lupine Interbike Booth | Mountain Bike Review
    $1100 is a bit out of my price range...

    The NiteRider Lumina 650 is what sparked my interest as that claimed to be "cordless" but in their terms this just means no battery cords. It's relatively cheap too.

    Scar, your lights look interesting but are more than I want to spend right now (in that I can't use my credit that I have with my LBS). But I'll keep them in mind for the future.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3,693
    There have been maybe 3 or 4 wireless remote lights built by the DIY guys. I like the idea a lot.

    I put wired remotes on some of my helmet lights and the switch velcros to a hydration pack strap or just sticks wherever you want on your jersey. Works OK but is another cable to deal with. Wireless would be nicer.

    Presuming this, but Scar could possibly do a wired remote for you on one of his lights.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    387
    Gloworm X2 has a remote switch and is represented as being pretty bright and you can select the optics that you want to use whether it be spot or flood. Or maybe combination.

    Thx

  7. #7
    Old, Slow and now FAT! :)
    Reputation: TheNormsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,604
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    There have been maybe 3 or 4 wireless remote lights built by the DIY guys. I like the idea a lot.

    I put wired remotes on some of my helmet lights and the switch velcros to a hydration pack strap or just sticks wherever you want on your jersey. Works OK but is another cable to deal with. Wireless would be nicer.

    Presuming this, but Scar could possibly do a wired remote for you on one of his lights.
    That's actually a pretty good idea and cheaper (and probably more reliable) alternative to wireless. Mount the switch on (or close to) the battery which can be attached to my shoulder strap, leaving only the weight of the head unit on the helmet. While I preferably would not want to deal with wires coming off the helmet, I also am getting fed up of the weight even though my current system is only around 200g. I will trade the wires for the light weight and remote switch capability.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: slcdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,183
    Quote Originally Posted by kerryn View Post
    I have one section of trail were I am hitting 34mph at night so it needs to cover the distance.
    Dude, as a fellow front ranger I gotta know what trail are you hitting at 34mph at friggin night??

    Also - not exactly what you're looking for, but I love my Ameoba.
    "Serves you right to suffer." -The Wife (after being 2 hours late)

  9. #9
    Old, Slow and now FAT! :)
    Reputation: TheNormsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,604
    Quote Originally Posted by slcdawg View Post
    Dude, as a fellow front ranger I gotta know what trail are you hitting at 34mph at friggin night??
    I can hit 28mph coming down the Springbrook loop as one emerges from the tree line. I hold KOM on the Strava Marshall Mesa Singletrack segment (Community Ditch into Cowdrey Draw) and you have to hit the top section of that at ~30mph to get anywhere close to my time.

    The 34mph is dropping down Coalton trail towards Superior. Actually I just checked my Strave PR for this and I actually topped out at 38.2mph. That's at night!



    The funny thing is that none of this can be ridden at this speed during the day - trails are way to busy. I hit them at 10/11pm and I have them all to myself (apart from the odd bobcat and brown bear I've come across)

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: slcdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,183
    Quote Originally Posted by kerryn View Post
    The 34mph is dropping down Coalton trail towards Superior. Actually I just checked my Strave PR for this and I actually topped out at 38.2mph. That's at night!



    The funny thing is that none of this can be ridden at this speed during the day - trails are way to busy. I hit them at 10/11pm and I have them all to myself (apart from the odd bobcat and brown bear I've come across)
    Haha. That's insane! I ride early in the morning for the same reason - but don't come anywhere close to those speeds.
    "Serves you right to suffer." -The Wife (after being 2 hours late)

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3,693
    Quote Originally Posted by kerryn View Post
    That's actually a pretty good idea and cheaper (and probably more reliable) alternative to wireless. Mount the switch on (or close to) the battery which can be attached to my shoulder strap, leaving only the weight of the head unit on the helmet. While I preferably would not want to deal with wires coming off the helmet, I also am getting fed up of the weight even though my current system is only around 200g. I will trade the wires for the light weight and remote switch capability.
    I drop the battery in a jersey or jacket/vest pocket. I originally put it in my hydration pack but that was a PITA when stopping for a snack or any other reason to drop the pack.

    I went this route to avoid weight on the helmet. My setup only adds 26 grams to the lid. My 50+ old neck appreciates that.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.