Helmet light w/external battery pack- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Helmet light w/external battery pack

Can someone who owns a helmet light with external battery pack share their experience with me? I'm looking at getting a nitefighter or magic shine. Definately can't see myself with a battery pack on my helmet, so I was thinking maybe put it in my back pack. Does that set up give any of you guys problems?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I have done both. The limitations by keeping the battery on your helmet is that unless you have a 23inch neck anything more than a two cell battery pack will be heavy. Some cant even stand the weight of a two cell. Of coarse you will then have more limits on output and run times. On the flip side some who for what ever reason find the need to remove their helmet multiple times a ride would love the freedom of having everything on the lid.

I prefer putting my battery in my camelpack. This will make the weight of many high powered lamp heads almost un-noticeable on your lid. Also you can run way more power if that's your thing and have longer run times as you wont notice a larger battery in your pack.
    Last edited by indebt; 11-04-2015 at 10:35 PM.

mtbr member
    I have a Gemini duo and the wire is long enough that I can strap to a belt if I don't want to wear my pack. But I just always take my pack cause I'm thirsty when I ride lol

Sent from my iPhone while my Heli plays with the gophers

mtbr member
    The only issue with running a battery in your pack is if you crash and land on the battery. I had that happen with a small camelpak, the battery hit right on my spine.
    I moved the battery to the helmet after that.

I like turtles
    In your pack or jersey pocket (what I use). Just have an ext. cord to run it down the back of my jersey. Easy.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I like the 2 cell on the helmet. Nice and easy, no long cords and with a Gemini Duo and 2 cell, don't even notice the weight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Helmet light w/external battery pack-img_1975.jpg  

Helmet light w/external battery pack-img_1974.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I tried the battery in the pack route but now it's in the jersey or jacket pocket for me. Then if I take off the pack to look for something inside there's no hangup.

No way am I doing the battery on the helmet. My neck (it's pretty old) gets tired enough already. Can't imagine how it would feel after adding more weight.
    Last edited by Vancbiker; 11-04-2015 at 08:39 PM. Reason: added content
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The problem with strapping all this stuff to the helmet is that it makes the helmet less effective / less safe in the event of a crash. The force of the impact is concentrated into a small area instead of being distributed over a larger area of the helmet. Putting the battery in camelbak is a better option from this perspective. It's bad enough to have a lighthead rigidly strapped to the helmet. Ideally the lighthead would pop off if there was enough force. I don't think anyone makes that kind of mount however.

That formula one driver who crashed while skying supposedly had a gopro strapped to his helmet and that made his injuries much worse.

RAKC
    I run with a 2 cell on my helmet, and use a gopro adhesive mount (which thankfully only contacts a small portion of the adhesive) for my light. Ive crashed with it and no issues besides cleaning dirt outta the light head lol. A bad crash on the other hand I can see the concern.

Weight wise, 2 cell doesnt bother me, I do notice the weight after a couple hours on the bike, more so when I take my helmet OFF. But I mount my pack to the back of my helmet which helps balance the weight of the light head.

Nitefighter bt21 is a good helemt light and if you get the kit, it comes with the extension cord already to run it down to a pack or jersey pocket. Ive done it once to see if it mattered much to me and ran into Vanc's issue, getting the the pack becomes annoying. So That option I only do when the ride (and breaks that we end up talking for a good few minutes before continuing) are going to exceed 1.5hrs. Otherwise its a 2 cell on the lid.

Also, try to keep the size of the light head small, bt21 is about as heavy as Ill go especially with 2 cell on the helmet.

Light freak

You know what they say........

size does matter

Helmet light w/external battery pack-poc-helmet.jpg

Helmet light w/external battery pack-unnamed-1-.jpg

Helmet light w/external battery pack-unnamed.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    I run with a 2 cell on my helmet, and use a gopro adhesive mount (which thankfully only contacts a small portion of the adhesive) for my light. Ive crashed with it and no issues besides cleaning dirt outta the light head lol. A bad crash on the other hand I can see the concern.

Weight wise, 2 cell doesnt bother me, I do notice the weight after a couple hours on the bike, more so when I take my helmet OFF. But I mount my pack to the back of my helmet which helps balance the weight of the light head.

Nitefighter bt21 is a good helemt light and if you get the kit, it comes with the extension cord already to run it down to a pack or jersey pocket. Ive done it once to see if it mattered much to me and ran into Vanc's issue, getting the the pack becomes annoying. So That option I only do when the ride (and breaks that we end up talking for a good few minutes before continuing) are going to exceed 1.5hrs. Otherwise its a 2 cell on the lid.

Also, try to keep the size of the light head small, bt21 is about as heavy as Ill go especially with 2 cell on the helmet.
    i'm actually looking at the bt21. Could you send me a link to the helmet kit and 2 cell battery?

mtbr member
    I have a MiNewt 300 on my helmet with a setup like this. I thought I would notice the weight, but it doesn't bother me at all. One of my co-riders has always used the longer cord with the battery kept in his Camelbak. I didn't care for that set up, but he likes it.

Helmet light w/external battery pack-nite_rider1.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I prefer the battery in my pack, no issues. I used to use an all-in-one light/battery on my helmet (Cygolite), and found that too heavy. Perhaps I am especially sensitive to extra weight on my head.

On a side note, I recently switched to a full face helmet (MET Parachute), and find the helmet light to be unnoticeable when wearing this helmet. I am sure I could tolerate a heavier light or even a battery pack using this FF helmet.

RAKC
    Quote Originally Posted by latemp View Post
    i'm actually looking at the bt21. Could you send me a link to the helmet kit and 2 cell battery?

There isn't a "helmet kit". The light kit has the helmet mount. Gopro mount set up is something you have to source separately.

2cell I use Fenix case that I swapped the connector on. Then use loose cells I have.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    The Amoeba + POC = perfect combination!

Savvas

Quote Originally Posted by scar View Post
    size does matter

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	POC helmet.jpg 
Views:	1237 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	1026696

Name:	unnamed (1).jpg 
Views:	994 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	1026697

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	684 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	1026698

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'm in the "battery in the pack" crowd. I rarely take off my helmet or pack during a ride so it works well for me. I don't ever notice the cord.

What I do notice is the weight of the light makes my helmet move around in the rough stuff, so I need to tighten it up a click or two to keep the light focused on the trail. With the battery up there I'm sure this effect would be worse and a super tight helmet makes my head ache.

Gary
    Kool-Aid, Kool-Aid, Taste Great... Oh Yeaahh!