Helmet light recommendation- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Helmet light recommendation

I occasionally like to ride at night. I donít ride fast. I use a cyrgolite expillion 850 and carry extra batteries. This works well enough except when I have to go over obstacles. I think the simplest solution is a helmet mounted light.

My requirements are low profile, and light in weight. I donít need the brightest and/or longest lasting, just something to help with vision when riding more technical trails. I know I could search the endless info on here, but I figured their may be a individual or 2 that understand my exact requirements and can give an educated recommendation.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    I have a giant recon hl500 that was pretty inexpensive and is decent. It's only 500 lumens but helps me see around the corners.Don't even know it is there. I have an HL1600 on the bars so its far from my only light though.

mtbr member
    Outbound Lighting Hangover
    Do the math.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hwcn View Post
    I occasionally like to ride at night. I donít ride fast. I use a cyrgolite expillion 850 and carry extra batteries. This works well enough except when I have to go over obstacles. I think the simplest solution is a helmet mounted light.

My requirements are low profile, and light in weight. I donít need the brightest and/or longest lasting, just something to help with vision when riding more technical trails. I know I could search the endless info on here, but I figured their may be a individual or 2 that understand my exact requirements and can give an educated recommendation.

Thanks.
    I think the Ceco 1000 they sell on Amazon would be what I'd pick for how you described your needs. It's a quality clone of Cygolites metro series with a little simpler lens that has a little narrower beam but allows a little more throw. Light enough to not be noticed on the helmet. Not the lowest profile but good all around fit for your needs.
    Mole

https://www.amazon.com/CECO-USA-Rech.../dp/B07HDWSQ4F

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks everyone!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by znomit View Post
    +1

At the 500 lumen level I've found the light doesn't step down at all as long as I'm moving at least 4-5 mph - even in the summer. Works great for seeing into corners and over berms.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Outbound Lighting Hangover
    I like this suggestion.

https://www.outboundlighting.com/product/hangover/

I designed the light specifically for helmet mounted MTB riding instead of trying to retrofit some general purpose light.

Had some teething issues but got it all sorted out now.
    OutboundLighting.com
    Professionally Engineered LED Bike Lights
    Assembled in Chicago, IL

Candlestick Maker
    I have the Ceco 1000, the Hangover, and used to have a Zebralight. Personally, I'd go with the Hangover or a Gloworm Alpha 1200. The Hangover is excellent. My personal reason for the Alpha 1200 is a screwed up neck where weight reduction on the helmet is critical for long night rides (think all night) and extended run times (using a pile of compatible batteries that I already have).

In my experience, the Ceco is usable and cheap, but the beam pattern isn't as nice. My Zebralight was all flood, I have no idea on the one mentioned above.
    baker

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by baker View Post
    I have the Ceco 1000, the Hangover, and used to have a Zebralight. Personally, I'd go with the Hangover or a Gloworm Alpha 1200. The Hangover is excellent. My personal reason for the Alpha 1200 is a screwed up neck where weight reduction on the helmet is critical for long night rides (think all night) and extended run times (using a pile of compatible batteries that I already have).

In my experience, the Ceco is usable and cheap, but the beam pattern isn't as nice. My Zebralight was all flood, I have no idea on the one mentioned above.
    I own all these lights too and agree with everything you wrote except the part about the Ceco's beam pattern not being as nice. Hangover is great with a higher powered wide beamed light on the bars on fast open trails but for slower stuff I'd prefer the extra output and wider beam of the Ceco, especially with a lower powered fairly narrow beam light like the OP's 850 on the bars (I tried my Hangover with the Ceco on the bars and hated the combo). I just don't see any advantage to the Hangover other than the low profile mounting ability for the OP's needs to justify 3x the cost.
    I occasionally like to ride at night. I donít ride fast. I use a cyrgolite expillion 850 and carry extra batteries
    Mole

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    I think the Ceco 1000 they sell on Amazon would be what I'd pick for how you described your needs. It's a quality clone of Cygolites metro series with a little simpler lens that has a little narrower beam but allows a little more throw. Light enough to not be noticed on the helmet. Not the lowest profile but good all around fit for your needs.
    Mole

https://www.amazon.com/CECO-USA-Rech.../dp/B07HDWSQ4F
    I'm thinking I'll pick one of these up from Amazon. I will be mounting to my helmet to help me see into corners. The OL Trail light is on my bars.

Can you point me to a good option for mounting the Ceco light to my helmet?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonmango42 View Post
    I'm thinking I'll pick one of these up from Amazon. I will be mounting to my helmet to help me see into corners. The OL Trail light is on my bars.

Can you point me to a good option for mounting the Ceco light to my helmet?

Thanks!
    My Ceco works fine with any Metro series Cygolite mount. Here's an Amazon link.
    Mole

https://www.amazon.com/CygoLite-Expi...80011869&psc=1

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Mole

Many thanks Mole!

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by jonmango42 View Post
    Many thanks Mole!
    Agreed. Thanks Mole.
    baker

mtbr member
    Mole

Excellent find ( on the Cygolite helmet mount )! The old style Magicshine helmet mounts work as well but the one MRM recommended allows use of the quick release slide mount on the Ceco. I have a Ceco 1000 as well. I've only used it once on the helmet and it does make for a half decent helmet light for shorter MTB rides. If you can get by using one of the lower output modes you should be able to get two hours out of the self-contained battery. Need more run time (?) at about $30 a piece just buy two and keep one for back up.