Helmet light question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Helmet light question

This may seem like a dumb question but how do you keep from blinding each other with a helmet light?

Obviously don't look at each other but it is human nature to look at someone when speaking to them or being spoken too. I see it all the time while night sailing. Luckily we use red dimmed headlamps which are adequate for deck or cabin work.

mtbr member
    May 2009

light discipline

The only time you should be looking at anything other than the trail is when you are stopped. It is just good practice to turn your lights off as soon as you stop moving. Helps preserve your batteries, restores your night vision and allows the darkness to reclaim the night. Try to look away from the person you are talking to and try to look away from the person who is talking to you. But still, you will inevitably blind each other.

If you come up with a better way let me know Id like to share it with some of the yahoos I ride with blind me all the time, about as often as I blind them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tunajuice View Post
    The only time you should be looking at anything other than the trail is when you are stopped. It is just good practice to turn your lights off as soon as you stop moving. Helps preserve your batteries, restores your night vision and allows the darkness to reclaim the night. Try to look away from the person you are talking to and try to look away from the person who is talking to you. But still, you will inevitably blind each other.

If you come up with a better way let me know Id like to share it with some of the yahoos I ride with blind me all the time, about as often as I blind them.
    Go old school. Use a generator. LOL.

turtles make me hot
    My buddy and I turn our helmet lights off when we stop and usually just leave my handlebar light on low if we have to stop...
    Otherwise, we've gotten pretty good at not blinding each other when we talk.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    You'll get into the habit of keeping your head aimed down when stopped. I even find myself doing it after the ride during the post ride beer, lol.

But I've ridden with a couple people who never seem to catch on, and continually blind others because they can't seem to get into the habit of looking down. I've learned not to look in their direction AT ALL.

Members who have read this thread: 0