Helmet light to compliment BT40- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Helmet light to compliment BT40

I have several riding buddies who need cheap setups. I am directing them to the Kaidomain batteries - 2 per guy, and the BT40's for the bars. Since the BT21's aren't available anymore, what would be a good light in this price range with the matching neutral emitters that would be a good match for the BT40?

mtbr member
    Best helmet mounted option at the moment is the left-over Ituo XP2's @ Amazon. Great light but there are only 5 left @ $100 (current model $140) which may be more than some want to spend. Gloworm Alpha w/NW option also works great with the BT40s but price is even higher ($90 for the lighthead and $150 for a kit).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...f_rd_i=3403341

https://www.action-led-lights.com/co...nt=46109771410

Possible best option at a lower price is Ituo's Wiz 2 ($60). It's self-contained so you'd have to put up with extra weight on the helmet but has good runtime and quality. I've never used one on these so hopefully RAKC or CMD(meow) will post their thoughts on this since I know they've owned both lights (Wiz 2/BT40s). Wiz 2"s only have 800 lumens but should be adequate since they use large reflectors.
    Mole

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...f_rd_i=3403341

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks Mr. Mole. Really surprised no one has a good inexpensive light to match the BT40. I have the Ituo XP3 and love it. XP3 with spot combo for helmet and XP2 with flood for the bars. Upgraded the helmet from an XT40, which was a great light, but wanted NW. XT40 or BT21 or something like that in a NW would be perfect for these guys. They don't ride a lot at night, so hard to justify the costs to spend a few hundred bucks on good lights.

The search continues....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgman25 View Post
    Thanks Mr. Mole. Really surprised no one has a good inexpensive light to match the BT40. I have the Ituo XP3 and love it. XP3 with spot combo for helmet and XP2 with flood for the bars. Upgraded the helmet from an XT40, which was a great light, but wanted NW. XT40 or BT21 or something like that in a NW would be perfect for these guys. They don't ride a lot at night, so hard to justify the costs to spend a few hundred bucks on good lights.

The search continues....
    I'm a little disappointed there's not anything to speak of that matches the BT40s anymore. That's a great inexpensive light to introduce people to the NW option. I never heard feedback from any Wiz 2 owners so will have to investigate that further but see that as only a temporary solution (if it is at all) since I've seen no signs of any new product development from the new owners of Ituo. If lack of a good light to pair the BT40 with starts to affect Revtronics sales I have hopes they might bring the BT21 back.
    Mole

mtbr member
    This subject continues to keep popping up. There are still other NW options but most seem to only be offered on Kaidomain. The one I think would work well is the KD 2xCree XM-L2 U2 Neutral White 4700K-5000K 4-Mode 2200 Lumens Bike Light. This is basically a clone of the Magicshine 880 but with NW emitters. I don't own one of these but I've always wanted one. That said I finally decided to order one just so I can see with my own eyes if it is worth buying. Been a long time since I've bought a cheap Chinese light. I swore I wasn't going to buy any more cheap lights but because so much keeps being said about the BT40 and a need for a compliment I thought I'd take one for the folks.

Another cheap option is to buy a Magicshine 808 from ActionLED and have them switch out the emitter to one with NW.. Not sure if you can buy just the light head but worth checking into. The old 808's actual make for a pretty good helmet lamp. I'll let you know how the KD lamp works out when I get it. I'll be sure to compare it with other NW lamps I have so others get an idea of beam tint and beam pattern.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks Cat! I always enjoy your posts. Hard to understand why they wouldn't keep selling the BT21. They could have the whole market to themselves for a great inexpensive setup!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    This subject continues to keep popping up. There are still other NW options but most seem to only be offered on Kaidomain. The one I think would work well is the KD 2xCree XM-L2 U2 Neutral White 4700K-5000K 4-Mode 2200 Lumens Bike Light. This is basically a clone of the Magicshine 880 but with NW emitters. I don't own one of these but I've always wanted one. That said I finally decided to order one just so I can see with my own eyes if it is worth buying. Been a long time since I've bought a cheap Chinese light. I swore I wasn't going to buy any more cheap lights but because so much keeps being said about the BT40 and a need for a compliment I thought I'd take one for the folks.

Another cheap option is to buy a Magicshine 808 from ActionLED and have them switch out the emitter to one with NW.. Not sure if you can buy just the light head but worth checking into. The old 808's actual make for a pretty good helmet lamp. I'll let you know how the KD lamp works out when I get it. I'll be sure to compare it with other NW lamps I have so others get an idea of beam tint and beam pattern.

Another cheap option is to buy a Magicshine 808 from ActionLED and have them switch out the emitter to one with NW.. Not sure if you can buy just the light head but worth checking into. The old 808's actual make for a pretty good helmet lamp.
    I agree on the 808 but I don't think Action is going to carry Magicshine anymore and has been out of left over stock for a while now (unless you want the headlight/taillight combo deal @ $65 + emitter swap charge).

Do you think the Ituo Wiz 2 would work ok with the BT40? I know it would have the weight and mounting issues of self-contained but am wondering if it's power/throw/beam pattern would be compatible with the BT40?
    Mole

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    ...I agree on the 808 but I don't think Action is going to carry Magicshine anymore and has been out of left over stock for a while now (unless you want the headlight/taillight combo deal @ $65 + emitter swap charge).

Do you think the Ituo Wiz 2 would work ok with the BT40? I know it would have the weight and mounting issues of self-contained but am wondering if it's power/throw/beam pattern would be compatible with the BT40?
    Mole
    Yep, but almost anyone could buy a cheap 808 clone and switch out the emitter to NW. Most single emitter MS clones should be easy to mode.

Too bad someone doesn't make a replacement optic for the BT40S that would give it a more intense throw. I'm thinking something with 4 mini reflectors ( ie...SStorm XT40 ) would do the trick right nicely.

Wiz 2 would work great with the BT40S but the leverage effect ( higher center of gravity ) would likely make the helmet feel unstable. You could lessen this effect by using an adapter to run an 18650 instead of a 26650 and that would help lessen the weight but because some GoPro mounts hold the lamp up so high off the helmet there is undoubtedly going to be some tendency for the helmet to rock a bit. While the Wiz 2 has some very nice throw it would just make more sense to buy an XP-2. It would cost a little bit more but would be perfect to combo with the BT40S.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Kaidomain also offers http://kaidomain.com/bike-lights-and...ens-Bike-Light they offer a 4000K color temp which I think is what matches the BT40s. I have been eyeing this one to complement my BT40s. Though maybe the one mentioned above: http://kaidomain.com/bike-lights-and...ens-Bike-Light is better, any guesses?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by j__h View Post
    Kaidomain also offers http://kaidomain.com/bike-lights-and...ens-Bike-Light they offer a 4000K color temp which I think is what matches the BT40s. I have been eyeing this one to complement my BT40s. Though maybe the one mentioned above: http://kaidomain.com/bike-lights-and...ens-Bike-Light is better, any guesses?
    Would be interesting to see how the BL2 would work with the 4000K emitters. The price is right. Worth rolling the dice on if you already have a battery. Just keep in mind these types of lights tend not to be driven real hard so probably 1000-1100 lumen at best.

KD also has an 808 clone with NW emitter which should also work and is dirt cheap as well.

mtbr member
    Too bad someone doesn't make a replacement optic for the BT40S that would give it a more intense throw. I'm thinking something with 4 mini reflectors ( ie...SStorm XT40 ) would do the trick right nicely.
    I have other multi emitter optic lights that do that (BT70, Gemini Olympia, C&BSeen 3up & 7up) so frustrating that that option doesn't exist.

Wiz 2 would work great with the BT40S but the leverage effect ( higher center of gravity ) would likely make the helmet feel unstable. You could lessen this effect by using an adapter to run an 18650 instead of a 26650 and that would help lessen the weight but because some GoPro mounts hold the lamp up so high off the helmet there is undoubtedly going to be some tendency for the helmet to rock a bit. While the Wiz 2 has some very nice throw it would just make more sense to buy an XP-2. It would cost a little bit more but would be perfect to combo with the BT40S
    Thanks for the info on the Wiz. Amazon link below is for the 2 model which comes with the smaller/lower capacity and lighter 18650. Seems like a lot more people only want self-contained these days in spite of the disadvantages it has compared to a seperate lighthead so nice to at least have a option to recommend. XP2, YES, especially while there's still a few of the left over models available @ $100. When you factor in the extra cost of a helmet mount + reliable lighthead adapter to a BT40 kit or add a battery on top of that if you only order a lighthead all of which are inclusive with the XP2 the far better quality and performance of the Ituo doesn't really cost that much extra.
    Mole

https://www.amazon.com/ITUO-Recharge.../dp/B07H9THTYJ

https://www.amazon.com/ITUO-Headligh...3GAD6S492X0NRP

mtbr member

KD MJ-880 clone, received

This subject continues to keep popping up. There are still other NW options but most seem to only be offered on Kaidomain. The one I think would work well is the KD 2xCree XM-L2 U2 Neutral White 4700K-5000K 4-Mode 2200 Lumens Bike Light. This is basically a clone of the Magicshine 880 but with NW emitters. I don't own one of these but I've always wanted one. [I]That said I finally decided to order one just so I can see with my own eyes if it is worth buying....
    Continued from my last post above ^ , The 880 clone I got from KD is a piece of crap. Beam pattern has a big "ring artifact" in it and the lamp is nowhere near as bright as I was expecting it to be. I'm guessing about 600 lumen tops. Emitters are NW and similar to my XP3 in tint.

The ring in the beam pattern might be caused by the green O-rings inside next to the reflectors or worse case scenario maybe not. Sadly I can't get the front off due to the use of stupid @$$ triangle hole screws which I can't get off. Doesn't matter. Even if I could get rid of the ring artifact it's still extremely under powered. I quickly compared it to my old SStorm X2 (CW) and SSX3 ( NW ) and the brightness of the SSX2 just blows it away. The old NW SSX3 still amazes me. Too bad we can't get those anymore in NW. ( Couldn't find the old KD2 ( NW, programmable, twin optics ) lamp I have but I'm betting it is brighter than the 880 clone as well ).

Today I rooted out one of my old BT40's. It still amazes me how nice the beam pattern on these are. I'll likely give the 880 clone a one-time test outside. It's possible the ring artifact might not be as annoying outside as it is inside my place.

FWIW though this is the lousiest cheap Chinese lamp I've ever bought. Nope, I'd rather use a single NW emitter in one of the old MS808's ( or a good NW 18650 torch on the lid ) than the POS I just bought.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hmmm, would be interesting to see the iternals if it was significantly changed. The ones I've got were decent and host can stand a lot of heat. Can you measure current and voltage from the battery pack? It might tell us something.

Yeah, opening is promblematic, but I've used small triangle file. Next I've changed reflectors to 20/21mm LED-DNA TIR optics and add sense resistor R330 over existing to get more current to the leds. It became quite good bar light.

Right now I have one of those to mod for a friend with 2x triple XP-G2 got from KD. Shurely quite some change is needed behind leds pcb and some more current should be provided.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ledoman View Post
    Hmmm, would be interesting to see the iternals if it was significantly changed. The ones I've got were decent and host can stand a lot of heat. Can you measure current and voltage from the battery pack? It might tell us something.

Yeah, opening is promblematic, but I've used small triangle file. Next I've changed reflectors to 20/21mm LED-DNA TIR optics and add sense resistor R330 over existing to get more current to the leds. It became quite good bar light.

Right now I have one of those to mod for a friend with 2x triple XP-G2 got from KD. Shurely quite some change is needed behind leds pcb and some more current should be provided.
    I'm not really concerned about how much current it draws at the moment. If I could get the front off and then determine if I can change the look of the beam pattern I might then be more curious as to how much current is being used. I'd like to keep the reflectors if possible because I like the look of the hot spot but right now I'm not sure what is causing the ring artifact. It might be the o-ring on top of the reflector, it might be because the reflector is sitting on a plastic ring and not resting flush with the board or perhaps just the type of reflector being used.
    I'm considering buying a set of cheap triangle screw drivers off of Amazon ( $9 )

I like the look of the body. Even on high it doesn't seem to get real warm although admittedly I've not run it more than a minute or two.

*pause*....been thinking it over. The old Solarstorm X2 I have looks to have reflectors that might be the same size. The SS's though have a smaller opening down near the emitter ( maybe that's why the others have the artifact.. ). I'm betting now that if I can switch these out somehow I might be able to remove the artifact and still keep the beam pattern narrow. Downside is I've always considered the SSX2 beam pattern a little too narrow. Optics might be the best way to go if only using dual emitters. *sigh* ...ordering the screw drivers...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Just finished modding friends old used and scratched 880 clone to 6x XP-G2. No measurments yet. To tired to do anything. But it works

Helmet light to compliment BT40-dvooka-6x.jpg

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    that's what I did with my 880 clone. Still have it somewhere and still worked last time I played with it

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

mtbr member
    Okay, did a short ride with the 880 clone tonight. The photo below is probably making it look brighter than it actually is. Conditions were perfect, dry, low humidity and on a paved MUP. This is with the lamp helmet mounted. Notice the ring. The photo makes it more noticeable than it actually is but you do notice it if you're not using a bar lamp. Photo is just with the clone but when used with the BT40S you don't notice the ring as much. I did take a photo with the BT40 on high in combo with the 880/clone but sadly the camera made a brightness adjustment so you can no longer see the throw of the 880/clone.

Seems I under-estimated how bright it is and how far it should throw. In the photo notice the little tree ( second on the right ) in about the center of the photo. That little tree is about 240 ft. away. Keep in mind on natural terrain trails you're likely not going to get the same kind of throw. Maybe more like 175 ft. That said, that's not too bad and a bit of usable spill as well. If I can remove the ring artifact it should make for a halfway decent NW helmet light.

Helmet light to compliment BT40-880cl-2-.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I thought so it couldn't be so bad. Beam is ringy cause probably coupled with wrong reflector or led is at wrong position. I've seen that many times. Are reflectors SMO (smooth) or OP (Orange Peeled)? Very likely OP.

Try to make an experiment, just for fun. Put small round sticker in the center of lenses. You might get quite spoty beam.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ledoman View Post
    I thought so it couldn't be so bad. Beam is ringy cause probably coupled with wrong reflector or led is at wrong position. I've seen that many times. Are reflectors SMO (smooth) or OP (Orange Peeled)? Very likely OP.

Try to make an experiment, just for fun. Put small round sticker in the center of lenses. You might get quite spoty beam.
    Been a couple weeks since I last addressed this but here goes...
    The original reflectors were ever so slightly OP. That said they are more smooth than OP. I did get the triangle screw driver set in and they worked like a charm. I tried using the reflectors out of my old Solarstorm X2 and sadly there is little if any improvement. Very disappointing. Not sure what is causing the ring effect but it just might be the domes on the emitters.

The only other options I see at the moment is to order some different types of optics and hope something good comes from it. What ever I use though I will likely need the holders as well because the area where the emitters are is quite big . If I don't want the optics to move I will need holders.

Funny, but when you take off those front screws the whole damn thing falls apart, including the PCB.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Cat is the led pcb in one piece for both leds or they are single ones? Instead of reflectors I've manage to mod this light with LEDDNA TIR lenses you are already aware off. I've used 10 and 25 deg. combination. Just need do elevate leds pcb up to front in some way (and still retain heat transfer). I've only needed to sand a bit white lens holder to fit holes on bezel. I've got very useful beam. Also moded driver with R400 over existing sense resitors to gain more current to the leds.