Helmet Light- Mtbr.com

Thread: Helmet Light

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Helmet Light

I am looking to get a light in preparation for the fall. We are already starting to run out of light during the end of our rides.

Can someone recommend a good light that mounts to a helmet? I would like to budget around $200.00.

Jeff

Light freak

What else is important to you besides cost?

Are any of these factors important to you when choosing a light?

1. - Size
    2. - Weight
    3. - Non proprietary batteries (3hr, 6hr, 9hr, 12hr Li-Ion, or AA battery holders)
    4. - Customer service
    5. - A light that is made by someone who uses their lights on an almost daily basis and knows the importance of reliability and has the same passion for biking.

I am just trying to raise my kids in today's world, perform at my job during the day, build some lights on Friday and Saturday nights, and trying to get a bike ride in there somewhere. 95% of my riding is done in the dark at 5am because of all of my other commitments, therefore I need lights. I also like sharing my stuff with others that value a handmade, custom light and the service that goes with it.

Check out the links in my signature

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jstevens
    I am looking to get a light in preparation for the fall. We are already starting to run out of light during the end of our rides.

Can someone recommend a good light that mounts to a helmet? I would like to budget around $200.00.

Jeff
    Pick up 2 of these and have money left over.

It's always a good idea to have 2 lights anyway.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

check out ZigLights

These lights are a bit more, but you might be interested in checking them out!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

check out ZigLights - part deux

sorry hit the wrong button before posting the links, the first is the ZigLights FB page with info, the other is the website, here they are:

http://ziglights.com/

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...933013?ref=sgm

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    How do you spell Ziglights?

M-a-g-i-c-s-h-i-n-e ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

ZigLights..Magicshine? Not really.

Only the light head appears to be the same as the Magicshine. Other than that this is a very different system. It way outperforms the Chinese light, better batteries, better electronics, better cable, better connector....longer run time with more consistent output. Of course the LED is the same, but if you are going to buy a high output LED, you really only have a choice of Cree MC-E or Seoul Semiconductors P7.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    So where are the components made and where is the light assembled since it's not a "Chinese" light?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

ZigLights..made in the USA

Good question odtexas,

The light head shell, reflector, and LED are from the Magicshine, this is true, but those are the only things left from the original Magicshine. Some parts do come from Asia, but have been chosen for their quality and consistent manufacture. Everything else is made in Europe or the US and purchased through US distributors. The system is then hand built here in the US, by Americans.

Pimpmobile
    Mar 2010
    What amounts to $160.00 for a different battery pack and some straps?????

Good luck!
    "Fear not the ob-stackles in your path"

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Shilke:

In post 7 you sound like another user that saw some interesting lights. In post 9 you sound much more like the modifier of these lights or at least very knowledgeable about them. Which are you? You'll find that many of the visitors to this forum are quite aware of how light systems work. You'll need to provide detailed info on what mods (driver details, battery details, etc) are done to justify the price difference between Ziglights and Magicshine.

BTW I suspect you'll find that most users want a low setting for climbs, rest stops, repair stops, etc.

Light freak
    Quoted from Ziglights website
    Please allow up to 4 weeks for delivery.
    Wow, and that is coming from Southern California. They must actually "ride" them to you.

How about the difference in lumen claim? MagicShine claims 900 lumens, Ziglights claims 450??

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

That special touch

Another good question HamfisT,

I guess maybe its the tender loving care that is put into each one, and then it's sealed with the kiss of a genuine North Albanese Shamen for good luck and many happy rides ...But I'm not sure how comparable SSC P7 systems can ask $350 or more just because they machine a piece of aluminum (or plastic) to hold the LED. Most with lesser run times or output. And they provide the same items, a "battery pack and some straps".

I guess that is what makes this country so great, we can spend our money the way we want, and however much we want. You can choose to look at any lighting system you wish and purchase at whatever cost you feel is acceptable.

Either way, how about giving constructive criticism or showing a bit of knowledge in regards to the cost of product development, manufacturing, and marketing? All these things are passed down to the consumer. Sarcasm may be fun, and the wit does get some chuckles, but it really does nothing to inform anybody about anything. If you don't like ZigLights for a legitimate reason, such as you have knowledge that the quality, run time, or any other functional item is substandard, then please bring that up so that these issues can be addressed and fixed. If it's just a matter of cost or aesthetics then I would hope you are equally as critical and flippant with other light manufacturers using the same technology. There is a reason that ZigLights starts with the Magicshine light head, and it is with the consumer in mind.

So, if you are interested in comparing ZigLights, feel free to go to the website, ZigLights.com, or the Facebook page and actually find out about the systems and some of the philosophy behind ZigLights.

There we go, this commercial break is over and I have to get back to work. Good luck with your night riding guys! And from someone that loves to ride at night, I hope that every time you hit the trail, it's the best ride of your life!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SHilke1
    These lights are a bit more, but you might be interested in checking them out!
    A "bit more"?!? LOL! Try over 2.5x as much! And do you get 2.5x as much light? No. Do you get 2.5x the burn time? No. Is it less then half the size or weight? No.

So I can't see any reason to spend over 2.5x as much money for a made over Magicshine.

When "Sig" can answer yes to a couple of those questions above, then maybe the price could be justified, but until then, no way!

But, there's a sucker born every minute...........

Pimpmobile
    Mar 2010
    Hey, I wished you good luck, didn't I?

I assume you're affiliated with Ziglights?

Awesome passive/aggressive response, though!

Light freak
    Hey SHilke1,
    Looks like you just joined MTBR to try to sell your MagicShine clone. Please support MTBR and purchase a classified ad

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Welcome to the boards.
    You appear to be a reseller/retailer.
    Consider purchasing a classified add and support MTBR.
    Best of luck with your product.

mtbr member
    There are good lights to be had for your budget. I find it funny that people are now knocking off a knock off and then trying to sell the knock knock for more.
    IMHO

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by zen bicycle
    There are good lights to be had for your budget. I find it funny that people are now knocking off a knock off and then trying to sell the knock knock for more.
    IMHO

Well said!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I think Shilke1 had his feelings hurt.
    But does his two followers really care?

"Tuesday, August 17, 2010
    Why Forums can be a VERY Negative Experience (but survivable)

Last night I decided that I would join the forums for a mountain biking website that I am, or maybe was (the jury is still out), a big fan of. I thought it would be a good way to speak to the people that have the same interests I have in regards to the lights that I sell. So on I go, I quickly find a forum that is dedicated to “Lights and Night Riding”, and I proudly ventured to suggest someone take a look at ZigLights.com.

What a mistake that turned out to be. I quickly realized that the forums there were more of a gladiatorial arena, the weapons being words and narrow minded attitudes. The people that replied to my suggestion could not get over the fact that the light head for the ZigLights systems uses parts from a Chinese made light. I explained that I did use those parts, but if they did a little research on the ZigLights website and Facebook page, they would quickly see that my lighting system is far above the Chinese light in quality, reliability, and performance. Alas, my words fell on deaf ears. The replies ridiculed my answer with obvious lack of thought, intelligence, and understanding of what ZigLights was trying to do for the mountain biking community. I continued for about half a day, giving answers that were courteous and informative. Again, every answer I gave, trying with all my might to be professional, was given a rude answer. I realized that my best option was to bow out of the forum, wishing everybody a happy riding experience.

I vow never to return to ANY forum.

The saddest part is, for a time after conversing with the negative forum dwellers, my positivity and hopeful outlook for ZigLights.com was shaken. My hopes that everyone would be enthralled with how much effort and thought I put into my lights dictated how my attitude would react to the negative forum replies. I predetermined my own downfall. Instead of entering the forum with a completely open mindset and being willing to maybe accept that many people have a need to bring others down, I entered it with my head held high and with the thought that everyone would be clapping me on the back for my dedication and hard work. Of course I know that many people will not like my lights. But I suppose I expected to be treated the way I try to treat everyone else, with respect and constructive input.

I’m still a bit down (hence the reason for writing this blog entry…good therapy), but I know that things will feel better with a bit of time. I still think my lights are a great product. I still think that I have priced them very competitively for what the customer will receive. And I still will not return to any forum because I don’t want to deal with the small minds encountered there. I just need to regain that positive feeling and attitude. I know...I’ll feel better if I go for a ride…maybe a nice night ride, using an awesome ZigLights light!!!"

mtbr member
    OK, never mind, I was reading this from a phone and didn't see that it was OD that posted his blog entry. I was going to suggest that he should explain on hear exactly which components he has changed along with a side by side photo to verify the results. then I was going to go on with a grand speech about earning respect along the lines of Tom Hanks in Saving Private Ryan, but with more historical impact along the lines of the I Have a Dream speech. At least it was going to be that good in my head.

Oh well I guess history doesn't get to recount the great light speech of 2010 now since he didn't post this here...

Just looked at the blod address,
    now that is almost personal.

Pimpmobile
    Mar 2010
    Well... if his skin is THAT thin, I wish him luck in the REAL world!

Courtious and informative my a$$!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I decided to go with the Magicshine GMG 900 PLUS Racer's Special from Geoman. It should be here early next week!

Pimpmobile
    Mar 2010
    I just got my MS stuff yesterday... 1400 on the bars, 900 on the lid, and tail light on the post.

Went for a short ride around town, and I'm more than pleased!

Members who have read this thread: 0