Helmet light for 24hr race- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Helmet light for 24hr race

I am signed up for a 24hr race this May, so I will need about 9hrs of run time. I have an Outbound light for my bars. I really like that set up, with a spot on my helmet for leading me into sharp turns.

So my question is what would be the best set up for 9hrs of run time? The biggest stipulations are as light weight as possible and a bike shop brand, no internet only companies.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayce View Post
    I am signed up for a 24hr race this May, so I will need about 9hrs of run time. I have an Outbound light for my bars. I really like that set up, with a spot on my helmet for leading me into sharp turns.

So my question is what would be the best set up for 9hrs of run time? The biggest stipulations are as light weight as possible and a bike shop brand, no internet only companies.
    I've seen lights I would normally consider "internet only" for sale in shops before so my question to you is which brands are acceptable to you? My feeling on this stipulation (bike shop brand) is that you'll end up with a more expensive, heavier, and lower performing light going this route but your choice on this.
    Mole

mtbr member
    With a run time like that you're looking for separate battery pack. NiteRider makes some lights that would work. Their 4200 will do 1000 lumens for 6 hours and 600 for 16 hrs. You might be able to mix/match light unit and battery packs to get something that works. Light and Motion is another brand that might have something.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    I've seen lights I would normally consider "internet only" for sale in shops before so my question to you is which brands are acceptable to you? My feeling on this stipulation (bike shop brand) is that you'll end up with a more expensive, heavier, and lower performing light going this route but your choice on this.
    Mole
    Knog, Light and Motion, NiteRider, Serfas, Lezyne, Cygolite,

I am fine with paying more to make sure that my sport and community has experts with jobs, and a place to be a part of.

mtbr member
    Knog, Light and Motion, NiteRider, Serfas, Lezyne, Cygolite,

I am fine with paying more to make sure that my sport and community has experts with jobs, and a place to be a part of.
    With the amount of time your going to be riding with the light mounted on your helmet weight and mounting options definately need to be a priority as much as lighting performance. You didn't mention Lupine but almost any store can order them. Usually only high end shops will stock these because of their cost but the Pico model I'm adding a link to is very small and light has plenty of power and a moderate price. I'm sure the standard battery won't have the capacity you need but with some of the high end Lupines putting out 7000ish lumens I'm sure you'll be able to find a compatible battery with the capacity you need for your race. Curious what your planning on doing to get the Outbound light to run for that long?
    Mole

https://www.lupinenorthamerica.com/i...?cID=0&PID=554

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I am borrowing another battery pack from a friend.

I reread my first post, and realized it isn't the most clear. I don't mind swapping battery packs or lights. But it wouldnt want to do it every lap.

mtbr member
    I am borrowing another battery pack from a friend.

I reread my first post, and realized it isn't the most clear. I don't mind swapping battery packs or lights. But it wouldnt want to do it every lap.
    How long are your laps in distance and time? What kind of speed range will you see (5-25 mph)? Are the trails in the event tight and tech., smooth and flowy, forested or more open? If the speeds aren't too high the Outbound road helmet mounted works well with a trail on the bars but I do find that I can out run the beam on that combo in certain situations. Nice thing about using the Outbound is power cord connectors would be the same and the batteries would work for both lights. I'm not familiar with all the store brands but I do know Niterider and Light & Motion use proprietary connectors that only fit their batteries and this would be something to check on whatever you buy.
    Mole

mtbr member
    My thoughts; If you're using an Outbound light on the bars you should do pretty well. That said since you are racing you need to figure out how long the battery will last and be prepared to swap out batteries when needed. This will mean having extra batteries on hand and having a decent fast charger. This all assumes of course that you have someone on hand to help in the pit stop area that can have all this stuff ready when you need it.

If you are going to use a helmet light you need something that has a battery setup that will last at least a couple hours at a time. You also want something that will compliment the Outbound very well and be worth using. If it were me I would consider at bare minimal to use a good two emitter lamp with some decent optics to give you some additional throw when needed. Otherwise I'd think you might be able to get by just using the helmet light on a medium setting most of the time and let the Outbound be your workhorse. My recommendation would be to use something like either a Gloworm X2 or Gemini Duo. Both are programmable and both have wireless remotes which could be real useful. Program the medium level just enough to be useful around tight turns and only use the high setting for the faster sections. Do this right and you might be able to get by on just a good two cell for 2-3 hrs. Just keep in mind if you use two cell batteries for the helmet lamp it will always be a good idea to have a couple extra waiting in the wings so to speak

While I don't own an Outbound I've seen the beam pattern in photos. The Gemini Duo I own looks to have about the same tint and since I had mine setup with dual spot optics the Duo has some outstanding throw. Not to mention that the wireless remote is excellent. Downside to the Duo is that the lamp body does heat up a bit if left to run on high for too long but as long as you have enough air flow going it shouldn't be a problem. Besides, if you are using two cell batteries for the helmet you wouldn't want to use the high setting too long anyway.

Anyway, forget the idea of using something sold at a bike shop. Did you buy the Outbound at a bike shop? I think not.

mtbr member
    For your friend asking about local shops. The number of shops carrying Gloworm light is growing all the time. If his favorite shop doesn't have them they can contact glowormlites.us to get signed up.
    This information came from the US distributor of Gloworm. You may not agree that that this qualifies Gloworm as a bike shop brand but free my up to suggest what I think would be the best light for your situation. My opinion is Gloworm's Alpha ($139) would suite your needs the best. Very light weight (68 grams), 1200 lumens but has similar throw to most 1500-1800 lument lights because of the use of XPG-3 emitters rather the more standard XM-L2's. Beams a little narrower but acceptable for me and has extremely low current draw for its throw abilities. If you like a wider beam the X2/Duo that Cat mentioned are great but more expensive, heavier, and draw 30-40% more current to produce the same throw of the alpha. So admirable that you want to support your local shop but also not your fault that they choose to carry inferior lights for your needs.
    Mole

https://www.action-led-lights.com/co...men-bike-light